Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus v Barcelona, UCL Final, 6th June k/o 7.45pm - See mod warning in OP

• 04-06-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

For the first time in 12 years Juventus will contest a European final, theyre 2 time winners, last winning it in 96 beating Ajax in Rome, they went on to lose the next 2 finals before again losing out to Milan on penalties in 03.

Barca are looking for their 4th title in little under 10 years following victories against Arsenal and Man Utd twice.

Both teams are aiming to complete a treble on the back of impressive domestic seasons.

I cant see past Barca in this one myself even though I'd like to see Juve do it.

Barca 3-1 Juventus

MOD WARNING 6/6: Can we not turn this into another boring Liverpool vs United ****storm?

There's potential for a great match tonight. Don't ruin it with attempts to start up this idiotic problem again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Alegri's sides have put the sh!ts up.Barcelona in European competition in the past, but that was when Barcelona played Sterile Guardiola Ball, with the new system of fast breaking wide play and quick release I can't see the tactics he used with Milan a few years ago working. That said he's proven himself to be an astute tactician and I don't expect it to be a walk in El Parque for Barcelona.
    Narrow Barcelona win for me, hope both teams go for it and give us a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Please God let Juve win, I don't want another Messi wankfest (we've all had one of those :p)

Don't care who wins.

Hope it's a decent game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

A walk in the park for Barca unfortunately seems to be the most likely outcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Chiellini is out of the final with a calf injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well that's not good.

Delighted to see Tevez playing in a CL final. Methinks he will have an impact of some sort on the game, irrespective of whether it proves enough (which is obviously unlikely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Huge blow for Juve

Less theatrics too with the Suarez angle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well that's not good.

Delighted to see Tevez playing in a CL final. Methinks he will have an impact of some sort on the game, irrespective of whether it proves enough (which is obviously unlikely).

It's the second CL final for Tevez. He started for Utd in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Comfortable Barca win, can see them being as dominant as they were in the 2011 final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Think most Juventus fans see Chiellini as a liability in recent times and would rather Barzagli in there. Might be a blessing in disguise for them

• Advertisement

Chickened out of a Suarez rematch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah, had forgotten that. Great to see him back there all the same, a player I've always admired for his undying on the field commitment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Barcelona to get a win, Messi to be the difference between the teams.
    Maybe 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

OptaJoe ‏

71.1% - Juventus have won 71.1% of their games with Giorgio Chiellini in 2014-15 (all comps) & only 45.5% without him.

Shane St. wrote: »
    OptaJoe ‏

71.1% - Juventus have won 71.1% of their games with Giorgio Chiellini in 2014-15 (all comps) & only 45.5% without him.

Those stats can be incredibly misleading. Sly Sports use them all the time

How many games did he play v games he didn't play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

They'll miss Chiellini's leadership more than anything - Barzagli isn't quite as good, but he's still a fine defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

duffman13 wrote: »
    Think most Juventus fans see Chiellini as a liability in recent times and would rather Barzagli in there. Might be a blessing in disguise for them
    Kind of. He's been error prone this season for sure, and sometimes overdoes it when he gets in the BEAST MODE. But then again he's been great at man to man battles and often his BEAST MODE is game saving stuff.

Barzaglis is much more calm and wall-like. With Bonucci already a bit of a hot head, this might be a good thing....or we might miss Chiellini's leadership and drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Looking forward to this even though I fear for Juve, 4-1 to Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Looking forward to this even though I fear for Juve, 4-1 to Barca.

You mean tomorrow no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

All I want is a Barca win and for Suarez to celebrate and dance in front of Evra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

All I want is a Barca win and for Suarez to celebrate and dance in front of Evra.

Celebrate what? Having the same amount of Champions league medals as Evra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dammit Gav stealing my thunder. :p

The sad thing about this tie is that Juventus will probably have to fit the stereotype of italian teams defend. That's harsh. They're arguably the most flexible and adaptable team that entered the tournament this season. They've evolved from the 3-5-2 predictive text that was Conte's team into something of a sentinel from the Marvel universe. This team can adapt its shape to just about anything. On Saturday that'll largely be a defensive shape and I worry that if they win the ignorant stereotype will be of a great Italian defensive team. When they're anything but.

The next sad thing is the tagline "how will Juve stop Messi." Messi has been on immense form of late but the award for most consistent player probably goes to Neymar. (Right down to missing a sitter every game.) Suarez it was that killed Manchester City and PSG. Messi is undoubtedly a great player but Allegri knows that stopping Messi isn't actually the priority. Rakitic and Neymar provide far more industry to this Barca side. Shut Rakitic out and Barca are in deep water.

Vidal is arguably the most athletic midfielder in the game today. He regularly covers 14-15 km in a match. He also regularly makes great runs that Tevez fails to spot. In honesty, him or Allegri would be entitled to deck Tevez for that. It's shockingly bad how poor his decision making can be at times. I expect Pique to handle Tevez. Only concern being a recovery dash on a counter attack. Which given Tevez's decision making isn't likely to inflict as much damage as it should. Vidal on the other hand is far more slippery prospect. Vidal should be able to harry both Iniesta, and crucially, Busquets. H e can sustain this for 90 minutes too. Juve's best chances come from the three midfielders of Juve providing a defensive screen to their back four. Vidal will be key to that.

The saddest thing of all though is that if you play this game 100 times Barca will win the vast majority of them. Few games will be draws. Even fewer still will be results that end in Juventus win. To borrow the old cliché if Juve are to win they need to play at 200% while Barca need to play below 100%.
    I'd love to see Allegri win the trophy. Possibly even more so than Xavi, a player I adore. He's an underrated manager that really deserves more recognition.

Forza Juve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

His third actually, played in '09 too if I recall.

On the game itself I think it's extremely hard to call. Barcelona have the best attack possibly of all-time, and fantastic defence to match, however Juventus also have a very well-balanced team, with their attack probably being their weak point. However, they won't be attacking for much of the game, I imagine the bulk of the game will be played by Barcelona in Juventus' half. Chiellini injured, going by reports, is a blessing in disguise for Juve, and will enable Bonucci to start alongside Barzagli, something that people here hoped for when they played against Madrid.

For me, it all hinges on how much Barcelona score, which I suppose is stating the obvious. They will score at some point, with a front three of Messi, Suarez and Neymar that much is almost inevitable, it simply depends on how much Juventus can limit them to. Of course, an equally significant factor depends on Juve scoring themselves, and scoring a second on top of that would go a long way to winning, provided their back four have the night of their lives. Is it likely however? No, I don't think so. I think Barcelona have too much firepower to be outscored, and I think their defence is too good to concede 2+ goals to this Juventus team. I think Barcelona will win by 2 clear goals, with at least one coming on the counter, however I would still not be surprised in the slightest if Juventus win this game. If Juventus were to win, I would be surprised if it were by more than one goal.

TLDR: Barca to win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

a suarez hat trick and barca to win a close game will be ideal for me, probably be a suarez hat trick of assists though ..messi and luis,two of my favourite players ever ..and a lotta respect for the old lady too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pffft this is Evra's 5th CL final, however probably going to be his 4th runners up medal.

I'd love to see Suarez lift the trophy.

I'd also like to see Juventus lift it on the 30th anniversary of Hysel. Win win for me personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Barcelona will win by a massive amount I would imagine. I would be shocked to see them beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Turtwig wrote: »
    Dammit Gav stealing my thunder. :p

The sad thing about this tie is that Juventus will probably have to fit the stereotype of italian teams defend. That's harsh. They're arguably the most flexible and adaptable team that entered the tournament this season. They've evolved from the 3-5-2 predictive text that was Conte's team into something of a sentinel from the Marvel universe. This team can adapt its shape to just about anything. On Saturday that'll largely be a defensive shape and I worry that if they win the ignorant stereotype will be of a great Italian defensive team. When they're anything but.

The next sad thing is the tagline "how will Juve stop Messi." Messi has been on immense form of late but the award for most consistent player probably goes to Neymar. (Right down to missing a sitter every game.) Suarez it was that killed Manchester City and PSG. Messi is undoubtedly a great player but Allegri knows that stopping Messi isn't actually the priority. Rakitic and Neymar provide far more industry to this Barca side. Shut Rakitic out and Barca are in deep water.

Vidal is arguably the most athletic midfielder in the game today. He regularly covers 14-15 km in a match. He also regularly makes great runs that Tevez fails to spot. In honesty, him or Allegri would be entitled to deck Tevez for that. It's shockingly bad how poor his decision making can be at times. I expect Pique to handle Tevez. Only concern being a recovery dash on a counter attack. Which given Tevez's decision making isn't likely to inflict as much damage as it should. Vidal on the other hand is far more slippery prospect. Vidal should be able to harry both Iniesta, and crucially, Busquets. H e can sustain this for 90 minutes too. Juve's best chances come from the three midfielders of Juve providing a defensive screen to their back four. Vidal will be key to that.

The saddest thing of all though is that if you play this game 100 times Barca will win the vast majority of them. Few games will be draws. Even fewer still will be results that end in Juventus win. To borrow the old cliché if Juve are to win they need to play at 200% while Barca need to play below 100%.
    I'd love to see Allegri win the trophy. Possibly even more so than Xavi, a player I adore. He's an underrated manager that really deserves more recognition.

Forza Juve!

I would love the collective implosion world wide if Juve shut Barca down by defending like crazy and then winning the trophy by hitting them with 1 counter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have a soft spot for Barca and their style of play and while Juve are no minnows they're certainly firm underdogs today. I'd honestly be happy seeing either team win today, just hoping for a good match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm expecting a very tight game...Barca dominating possession and chances but being constantly frustrated. Maybe a 2-1 win either way, most likely to Barcelona of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

After the quarters I was reckoned Juve would have the best chance in the semi's against Madrid, and in a one off final anything can happen. But Barcelona are massive favourites, I think Juventus are very weak when a team presses them deep. Madrid did it in their best spells against Juve and Barca do it all the time naturally. Juve need time on the ball and Barca won't give it to them.
    Would love to see Juve win it, but they're massive underdogs here I'd go for a 3-0 Barca win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The trophy emoji when you tweet #UCLFinal is cool.

I'm such a nerd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Very tight game and evenly matched. I was wary of Juventus in the semi-final and they are more than good enough to win it.

Absolutely delighted it isn't Madrid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Can only really see a Barca win here. Juve's best chance will be peno's probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

2-1 Juve with Morata getting a late winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Juve on penalties, I've been saying it for the last two weeks. Italian sides are notoriously difficult to beat in a final, and that should ring true again today. Chiellini is a massive loss though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Meanwhile in Madrid.

CG09p1DWoAANzw5.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RasTa wrote: »
    Pffft this is Evra's 5th CL final, however probably going to be his 4th runners up medal.
    Almost sounds like you're implying it's better to get knocked out before the final than to get there and lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

5 champions league finals for Evra, not bad.

Fun fact of the day: Paolo Maldini played in 8 finals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Messi at 3/1 is a great bet, reckon
    Barca will win this 3-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Iniesta supposedly has a calf strain that would see him rested for lesser games. The more I've thought about this match I've been thinking about Juve's approach. They should in theory be able to match this current Barca side in midfield with their pressing game. If Juve's level isn't high enough it'd be one heck of a risk. As Iniesta and Busquets will just use their portal guns and cut through them. I wonder though if Allegri will try it for a while to see how it fares? The doubts about Iniesta would surely given him some encouragement. Juventus need to score and a defence with something to hold onto is always more motivated and disciplined than one without anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Barcelona starting XI: Ter Stegen, Alves, Pique, Marscherano, Jordi Alba, Sergio, Rakitic, Iniesta, Messi, Suarez, Neymar

Juventus starting XI: Buffon, Lichtsteiner, Barzagli, Bonucci, Evra, Marchisio, Pirlo, Pogba, Vidal, Tevez, Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Did anyone else hear Jamie C saying Busquets cant defend? Am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Did anyone else hear Jamie C saying Busquets cant defend? Am i missing something?

Yes that Jamie C hasn't a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

alba the only weak link in that line up i feel,if you can even call it weak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Alba - weak?? Probably Top 2 lb's in the world at the moment

Also really glad Ter Stegen gets the nod. Gives Bravo rest before Copa & shows Luchos confidence in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

alba the only weak link in that line up i feel,if you can even call it weak

Jessica would be defo in my first 3/4

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Barca by 2. Highly unlikely juve will keep that front 3 at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have a funny feeling Juventus could cause a big, big upset. There's a big bang of Liverpool 2005 off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Barca to walk it. Don't see it close at all. 3-0 for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement