Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus v Barcelona, UCL Final, 6th June k/o 7.45pm - See mod warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Forgot that was the last champs league game on Sky...not looking forward to BT coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Barca's counterattacking pace in the second half was crazy. I spoke about Vidal pre-match. Would love to see the distance stats by Pique and Alba. Think every time Barca had a set piece to defend Pique raced forward in a counter attack. Nobody passed to him though. :P
    I just want to add, the Catalonia flag planted in the middle of the pitch, that's what Barcelona is as a club, it's what this club represents, it's more than simply a football club.

Whatever about the flag you need to send some flowers and a serious apology to Luis Enrique.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Forgot that was the last champs league game on Sky...not looking forward to BT coverage.

Really? Two words.
    James Richardson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Urgh ITV just showed me Peter Beardlys nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ERG89 wrote: »
    Really? Two words.
    James Richardson.

BT have brought in Gary Lineker to anchor their champions league coverage.

So I assume Richardson will stay where he is on the European Football Show.

• Advertisement

I thought Lineker signed an extension with BBC???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So Sky have lost the ECL? Can't really claim to be the home of European Football then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

did Neymar's goal deserve to be disallowed??

Really? Two words.
    James Richardson.

Would be grand if it was just him but you've got Owen, McManaman, Savage etc...they're just insufferable.

fryup wrote: »

It's a tough one, he didn't intentionally handle it. But his handling of the ball most likely deceived Buffon. It was best for the game that it was disallowed. Not so sure if it was the right decision though. Very harsh call, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Your joking....FFS. :mad:
    At least I won't have to hear Lineker say Spurs or sorry Spuhzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

He'll have to say loads of European team names though.Jesus will weep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Unfortunately it looks like it's going to happen

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/04/gary-lineker-bt-sport-after-signing-five-year-deal-bbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

We wont hear anymore mention of the Champions League on Sky Sports News (they only talk about the sport they show).

Well Done Barcelona.

Feel bad for Sanchez. What a season to leave Barcelona

rarnes1 wrote: »

Ditto really think he's more suited to their new style too. Really surprised Pedro wasn't pushed Arsenal/Liverpool.

Iniesta has won the match of the award at the world cup final, the champions league final and the european championships. That's some feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Copa America?

Women's World Cup just started on BBC3. On till 5th July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Um, would they have achieved it with him? Without Suarez? Impossible to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

fryup wrote: »

Common sense prevailed over the letter of the law.

I'd say winning one trophy at a club that values him would mean more than winning three at a club that didn't want him.

• Advertisement

I'd say winning one trophy at a club that values him would mean more than winning three at a club that didn't want him.

Still though, a league and a champions league medal.

JPA wrote: »
    Um, would they have achieved it with him? Without Suarez? Impossible to say.

Who knows, was just saying. It must be a killer to your ex club win the biggest prizes after you leave them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Turtwig wrote: »
    Barca's counterattacking pace in the second half was crazy. I spoke about Vidal pre-match. Would love to see the distance stats by Pique and Alba. Think every time Barca had a set piece to defend Pique raced forward in a counter attack. Nobody passed to him though. :P

Whatever about the flag you need to send some flowers and a serious apology to Luis Enrique.

I've acknowledged several times the role of Luis Enrique and given him due credit. I was far from the only person not at all impressed with the start of Barcelona's season, the fact that there's been so many articles in the build up to this game that mention how close he was to being sacked and how unpopular he was with the fans is a testament to that. The reasons I was not impressed were entirely valid.

Then, as Messi has said "everything changed." Suddenly there was a way of playing, there was consistent team selection and we begun to see the benefits of what Enrique has brought to the club in terms of fitness, set piece work, pressing and those swift counter attacks. We also saw more little subtle movements that have been worked on like Rakitic overlapping on the right to create overloads and Alves pushing into midfield to create a numerical advantage. To be where we were in January to where we are now, he's done a remarkable job. To win everything you must be special, everyone must be special, the players and the coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Turtwig wrote: »
    Iniesta has won the match of the award at the world cup final, the champions league final and the european championships. That's some feat.

Do you mean man of the match ? Did he win it tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

Do you mean man of the match ? Did he win it tonight ?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Comfortably the best team in Europe overall this season were Barcelona. Thoroughly deserved.

Crazy to think that in December/the beginning of January Barcelona were 2 points behind Real after playing 1 game more than Madrid and most places were reporting that Enrique was going to get the bullet after leaving Neymar and Messi out against Soicedad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Arse

Paully D wrote: »
    Comfortably the best team in Europe overall this season were Barcelona. Thoroughly deserved.

Crazy to think that in December/the beginning of January Barcelona were 2 points behind Real after playing 1 game more than Madrid and most places were reporting that Enrique was going to get the bullet after leaving Neymar and Messi out against Soicedad.
    Fûcking bollox !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Highlights starting now on itv+1 gonna crack open a can and watch that again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Yeah but I suppose it's offset by feeling good for Suarez. What a season to join Barca.

Highlights starting now on itv+1 gonna crack open a can and watch that again!!

Yeah I'm gonna mutulate my testicles with a rusty knife ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

When is the Suarez loan deal up? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Just over a year ago, suarez was crying into his jersey after losing the league away to crystal palace. Now he won the treble...

Please come back to anfield, luis :( :L

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sanchez didn't suit Barcelona. Instead of anticipating the 'fumble' like Suarez for the second, Sanchez would be doing trojan work on the sideline

Puyol was time to go, but Valdes is the one who might be thinking he should've stayed..that knee injury he picked up wrecked everything for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Busquets and Pique were so immense. Others will get the plaudits but those 2 were immaculate.

• Advertisement

That was Andy Townsend's last game for ITV... :O

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Yeah but I suppose it's offset by feeling good for Suarez. What a season to join Barca.

Bigtime. What a difference in fortunes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

bad2dabone wrote: »

I'm sure Sanchez will be fine. Unbelievable World Cup and easily the most valuable player for arsenal who can only get better. He's a player who deserves to be the head honcho of his team, not behind 3 others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thoroughly deserved best team in Europe. Juventus really offered nothing and were 2nd best throughout.
    This is a scary good team I'd strongly back them to be the first side to retain the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »
    Thoroughly deserved best team in Europe. Juventus really offered nothing and were 2nd best throughout.
    This is a scary good team I'd strongly back them to be the first side to retain the CL.

Juventus offered nothing? What ****ing game were you watching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm sure Sanchez will be fine. Unbelievable World Cup and easily the most valuable player for arsenal who can only get better. He's a player who deserves to be the head honcho of his team, not behind 3 others

Very strange post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Really great Final. Both sides looked tired towards the end. A younger more athletic side could cause them problems next season, Barca will need to replace one or two key players but right now that Barca front 3 are probably the best ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Juventus offered nothing? What ****ing game were you watching?

Sorry they did, they offered a superb shot stopping performance from Buffon.

Moratta's goal was just a blip in the general flow of the game, Barcelona looked the winners from the off.

Dont remember Ter Stegen having much to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

YES YES YES

Brilliant determination to win it back and punish their arrogance
    Pure desire from Juve, tremendous physical effort

:)

But determination and huge physical effort can be and has been overcome with skill. One of the main pluspoints of football over more 'athletic' sports.

Guardiolaball claims another casualty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I thought hendersons pass was poor but Jesus awful stuff from wazza

Hopefully McLean + long will liven things up

Oops wrong thread!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Barca 4eva <3!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

rob316 wrote: »
    Sorry they did, they offered a superb shot stopping performance from Buffon.

Moratta's goal was just a blip in the general flow of the game, Barcelona looked the winners from the off.

Dont remember Ter Stegen having much to do.

Total shots: Juve 14, Barca 16. 6 and 8 on target respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just reading the match thread and lol at the hate from certain people of Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

dfx- wrote: »
    :)

But determination and huge physical effort can be and has been overcome with skill. One of the main pluspoints of football over more 'athletic' sports.

Guardiolaball claims another casualty.

Reminds me of this (slightly modified) quote, but I think it sums up this game nicely, 'the passion and determination to win a 50/50 challenge, or the skill and technique to win a Champions League.'
    Juventus were a beaten fairly comprehensively last night, for every chance they had Barca had 2 or 3 more, not to mention the goal that should have stood from Neymar.

Barcelona cement their title as the greatest club in modern football. 4 titles over the past decade is an incredible achievement, especially given how competitive the competition is these days.

On another totally useless note, it's the second year in a row that a player has gotten the winner in the CL final that left the Premier League less than a year previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just reading the match thread and lol at the hate from certain people of Suarez

In fairness, he isn't the most likeable player!

• Advertisement
Advertisement