Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soil temp 2015 winter squash

Options
  • 04-06-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

The soil temperatures this year is way down in Dublin airport compared to the last few years its at 11.1 last year it was 17.6

I was about to plant out winter squash but they are so sensitive to temp . The plants are getting to big to be left in pots I think I will have to chance a few outside now . The normally go in at 16c.

Anyone else in similar circumstances

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

I planted out some butternut squash a week and a half ago that I had grown from seed. I went abroad for a week and came back they had succumbed, to the cold I presume?

I've got some in reserve though and I'm thinking of planting them out this week with the fine weather. Still a bit unsure though as temps are still below average for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

I planted out some butternut squash a week and a half ago that I had grown from seed. I went abroad for a week and came back they had succumbed, to the cold I presume?

I've got some in reserve though and I'm thinking of planting them out this week with the fine weather. Still a bit unsure though as temps are still below average for the time of year.

Ya they are sensitive to cold soil
    In the end I planted out two as a test for my soil temp it was south facing wall they may be a bit warmer then Dublin airport soil.

It survived the week without issues . will plant the rest this weekend.

Advertisement