Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaded Couple Situation

• 04-06-2015 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Okay. So I recently moved into an apartment (2 weeks in) with a 6 month lease with my girlfriend. However we are about to break up and she is saying that I have to move out. The contract has both our names but it's all my bank details etc.
    What rights do I have here with regard the apartment as I wish to continue living there because I dont want to move all my stuff back into my parents house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

If the lease includes your name I would assume she can't make you leave.

I just hope its a 2 bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How big is the apartment? You have the same rights as she so stand your ground and let her leave?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

2 weeks? You should have gone on holidays!

Have you told her you want to stay? If you leave and she stops paying the rent you are liable for it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

you have as much right to be there as she does as you are both on the lease.

So unless you can come up with an amicable arrangement it will be who ever is more pig headed and stubborn will win out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

It's a 2 bedroom apt. Okay so because we are both on the lease neither of us have any room to wiggle against the other. So 50/50.
    She is a lot more stubborn but that's more so to do with the break up really. Looks like it'll have to be settled mutually so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Move into the spare room so and pay half of the rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Whatever you do be sure you don't end up paying all the rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You both remain jointly and severally liable for the rent due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ask that the contract and payment méthode be switched into hér name solely and move out only heartache ahead other wise and a lighter pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

godtabh wrote: »
    2 weeks? You should have gone on holidays!

Have you told her you want to stay? If you leave and she stops paying the rent you are liable for it as well

(Just back from holiday :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Commitmentphobe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

9bred4 wrote: »
    (Just back from holiday :o)

You have to fill us in on what happened on the holiday?

Advertisement