Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottom bracket bearings quote?

• 04-06-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a quote from two bikes shops to replace the bottom bracket on by bike for both at €35, they didn't say what type of bearings they are I don't know much about bikes myself. Seem pretty cheap to me?

It is an expensive bike so I wouldn't mind paying the bike extra.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

What kind of bike is it? Without knowing what sort of bottom bracket you currently have (and to an extent exactly what the replacement is), it's hard to know where €35 ranks in terms of economy, e.g. you can spend over €200, or less than €10 on the part alone. Labour is probably similar enough across them all if you have the right tools (remove the crank, remove the old bearings, give the shell a clean, fit new bearings, replace the crank), so that shouldn't vary so much, though might from shop to shop. The last time I got mine done in a shop, I think it was €30 fitted for a Tiagra BB, when the bike was in for a service anyway, so €35 would be similar enough.

Also, and this is not a commentary on you by any means, interpretations of "an expensive bike" vary wildly around here - 400 would be expensive to some, but very cheap to others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I got a new ultegra bb fitted for 35 a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

€35 is reasonable given the labour and parts involved and that you will have both guaranteed. Slightly off topic, but it took me a long time to understand that if I repair a computer or install hardware or software people don't blink at €X per hour labour. Do the same hours labour on their bike and ask for half the amount and the majority believe they are being ripped off. Reason why I don't work on bikes anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

cython wrote: »
    What kind of bike is it? Without knowing what sort of bottom bracket you currently have (and to an extent exactly what the replacement is), it's hard to know where €35 ranks in terms of economy, e.g. you can spend over €200, or less than €10 on the part alone. Labour is probably similar enough across them all if you have the right tools (remove the crank, remove the old bearings, give the shell a clean, fit new bearings, replace the crank), so that shouldn't vary so much, though might from shop to shop. The last time I got mine done in a shop, I think it was €30 fitted for a Tiagra BB, when the bike was in for a service anyway, so €35 would be similar enough.

Also, and this is not a commentary on you by any means, interpretations of "an expensive bike" vary wildly around here - 400 would be expensive to some, but very cheap to others!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/seek.4/4864/38994/

This is the bike nothing over kill bit it is in excellent shape and want to keep it that way, seems like a Tiagra BB is the norm are these good quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

cajonlardo wrote: »
    €35 is reasonable given the labour and parts involved and that you will have both guaranteed. Slightly off topic, but it took me a long time to understand that if I repair a computer or install hardware or software people don't blink at €X per hour labour. Do the same hours labour on their bike and ask for half the amount and the majority believe they are being ripped off. Reason why I don't work on bikes anymore.

I work as computer engineer I cannot count the number of times people think I can fix their computer for free as I am not doing any physical work, ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement