Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mame HLSL

• 04-06-2015 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

If I make changes to the way a game looks in Mame, via the tab->slider controls menu, I presume this then creates a dedicated cfg file for the hlsl effects for that specific game? I can't find such a config file anywhere though, as I'd like to apply the changes made to ALL games, not just one in particular - any ideas how it can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's in the mame.cfg file as far as I can remember... ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

From what I can remember the defaults are in mame.cfg unless another config file is present <rom_name>.cfg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I think I read that in the latest version of mame (162) the default hlsl settings have been adjusted considerably to better match a crt and scanlines without and fiddling required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I can find the global HLSL settings, they're in the ini folder. However, if I change the settings for a specific game, I can't find where that individual games settings have been stored :confused: I want to copy the settings, & paste them into the global ini file, but can't find game specific hlsl configs....

Seems this is a known 'thing'. I have to write down the numbers from the slider screen, & manually input them into the mame.ini :rolleyes: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=323630&page=16&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaulPriest

Note that there's always been this internal conflict in MAME/MESS.
    * The .ini system allows for cascading options and overrides: mame.ini, horizont.ini/vertical.ini, arcade.ini, [driversource].ini, [parentgame].ini, [clonegame].ini.
    * The internal settings for e.g. controls are explicitly set globally (same scope as mame.ini), or per-clone (with no support for sharing between parent/clone - in many cases they have different controls anyway)
    * Frontends can either configure the *.ini files (Emuloader-style), and allow MAME to cascade, or effecitvely rewrite a single mame.ini file, or control it entirely via overriding the commandline options (QMC2 style) and store the settings as they see fit in an internal db. Technically, if you enabled the HHTP frontend, it could even update them at runtime in some cases.

As a result of the above - it's not as simple as saying - I wish MAME would save my settings. Should it do it at the game level, global, or something inbetween. What if you updated a setting that was already set at the sourcefile level, should that be applied ot the sourcefile? The global? The individual game?

I'm a proponent of the static configuration (I added most of the cascading .ini options originally), although an option to persist settings automatically at the most fine-grained level (e.g. the individual sets) would be welcome for things with internal UI.

PaulPriest wrote: »
    As a result of the above - it's not as simple as saying - I wish MAME would save my settings. Should it do it at the game level, global, or something inbetween. What if you updated a setting that was already set at the sourcefile level, should that be applied ot the sourcefile? The global? The individual game?

Cheers for the above. My slider settings are actually being saved (though where that is I don't know), but they're being saved on a per game basis. What I want to do is apply the changes I've made with the sliders (in one game) - globally, and not solely for that game if you get me. I'm running MameUI x64 through Hyperspin if that changes anything.

Advertisement