Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston College v Georgia Tech @ Aviva Stadium 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BC attendances are horrendous. Fans aren't even showing up to their home games, I'm not sure how well they'll travel to this one.

They also don't have the same wealthy, older alumni that Notre Dame. I'm sure there'll be plenty who'll use this game as an excuse to finally visit Ireland, but I don't think there's a chance they travel anywhere near as well as the Notre Dame contingent did.

And Boston is not exactly a college sports town either. But I think the excuse to come to Ireland will be a big puller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Are these still on sale?

I like to be in the lower tier, but up far back - think that's the best view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bateman wrote: »
    Are these still on sale?

Not yet. There's been a presale alright but not a general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Hopefully I'll get time off for it and be able to get a cheapo ticket at the turnstiles

The last time it was on (last year in Croke Park) I was up in Dublin and only realised it was on but had to return early that day and thus was unable to go

I also hope there's another flyover (last time I heard that sound in the city centre and I didn't realise what it was until the flyover was completed, I didn't even see the planes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

I've heard through someone connected with it, that it's not selling particularly well. To be honest, their marketing is lousy (in Ireland at least), there's a lot of packages unsold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They haven't gone on general sale yet so I doubt they're too worried about how it's selling yet

Aviva sold out quickly in 2012. There were 55,000 at Croke Park in 2014. Plenty of time to get close to those figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I've mentioned it to a lot of people about going and not a single person has heard of it. Has any advertising been done at all for it?

Went looking at tickets for the pre-sales but they were all pretty rubbish.

Tickets haven't gone on sale here yet (except for the presale) so why would they be promoting it? I'm sure before they go on general sale there'll be some sort of advertising campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Shedite27

OU812 wrote: »
    I've heard through someone connected with it, that it's not selling particularly well. To be honest, their marketing is lousy (in Ireland at least), there's a lot of packages unsold.
    They haven't even started selling them here yet so "the person connected with it" is pulling your leg.

I'm talking about in the US. They're not selling well there...

To be fair, the prices of some of the packages are extortionate so I'm not surprised the Americans aren't lining up to come over. Even with the weak dollar, there's some serious ripping off going on.

Same rough prices as the last two (same company)

They're not aimed at ordinary joe soaps, they're for wealthy alumni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I got my 2 in south upper right in middle front row via Leinster rugby season ticket holder pre-sale a couple of weeks back.

Cost €101.30 for the 2 including ticketshiesters service charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

Not yet. There's been a presale alright but not a general sale.

Any idea when they are going on general sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ODDSPEED

Dodge wrote: »
    Croke Park didn't sell out but they announced a crowd of over 55,000 at it which would be a sell out in the Aviva

I bought tickets on the day (missed first quarter)

A friend and i were there that day and it did not feel like there was 55,000 there, we put the attendance at about 40,000.

ODDSPEED wrote: »
    A friend and i were there that day and it did not feel like there was 55,000 there, we put the attendance at about 40,000.

It was way over half full. I was there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

It was way over half full. I was there too

It's because they have every section open (minus the Hill), and they were all dotted with rows of empty seats. If they did what the Gaa do and packed the lower tiers, with only Upper Cusack open (as the TV camera face that way) it would have felt substantially fuller and would probably have been a better atmosphere.

All upper tiers were open that day. I was upper Davin myself

The other issue is price. I bought a family ticket for €50 on the day for that game. €50 is about the cheapest individual ticket at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

All upper tiers were open that day. I was upper Davin myself

Yeah, I was in the upper Hogan. They opened the whole stadium except the hill. I remember my brother had bought Hill tickets, in fact, and late on they decided to move those people into the stands because of low ticket sales. Croke Park is too big for an occasion like that involving two teams most Irish people have never heard of, and one of whom doesn't have a very big alumni base to sell to.

Hopefully this sells out.

• Advertisement

Yes, Croke Park was way too big. However 55,000 people at an event is still a great crowd and would have been enough to sell the Aviva out

So €50 is the cheapest at the minute? Think I'll sit it out for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

To be fair, the prices of some of the packages are extortionate so I'm not surprised the Americans aren't lining up to come over. Even with the weak dollar, there's some serious ripping off going on.

Yeah, lowest price being 50 euros right now is way too high.

Got an email today saying that there will be a presale on Feb 1st and general sale will be April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Got an email today saying that there will be a presale on Feb 1st and general sale will be April.

Is this the first open to all presale or?

I got the email as I had registered my interest few months back.

Tickets go on sale to people who tegisteted, like myself, on Feb 1st.

It said they go on US general sale on Feb 3rd and Irish/European general sale in April.

Wonder if it's worth hanging on to see if they have a discounted price closet to the game. I got two seats good seats last year for €25 about a month before it.

Wonder if it's worth hanging on to see if they have a discounted price closet to the game. I got two seats good seats last year for €25 about a month before it.
    They're more popular teams this year, and a smaller stadium. Don't think they'll be offloading tickets late this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

A friend in Murica gave me a presale code for Ticketmaster, which I was able to get working on my phone, and which (helpfully) offered me only tickets priced $250 each.

Funnily, wasn't able to get the same availability going though the pc for some reason.

Think I'll wait for Irish tickets to be released, and will mostly be buying €35 tickets if available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Presale tickets go on sale at 2pm. Pre-Sale Code: CFBIRELAND

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

got me 2 tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

me too better selection today

They didn't drop in price last year, they were cheaper from the start. We got a family ticket (2+2) on the day for €50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Is that code expired now, doesn't seem to be working for me?

5.95 service charge for €70 sideline tickets, scandalous

Bateman wrote: »
    5.95 service charge for €70 sideline tickets, scandalous
    Standard unfortunately

Surely there is a way around it, when is the general sale?

That's standard for all ticketmaster tickets, regardless of event.

Is there still some kind of pre-sale still open for this?

• Advertisement

I really get the feeling this game isn't selling, they're going all out on the marketing on FB, even getting cheerleaders over today for a press event...

which is a pity because it's unlikely we'll get another...

Marketing isn't just about tickets. Pre-sale tickets sold out.

It's about creating an event and getting sponsors and media on board. This is what they should be doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id imagine after the last game a lot of people who are on the fence about football won't be too bothered this year. I went along last year with 3 mates 2 of whom love football and I certainly wouldn't be bothered going again. The stadium was too big the pitch was lost in croker, I know that it will be better this year but Id imagine a lot of people are over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm planning to go back, I thought it was good craic. Wouldn't be buying sideline tickets or anything, but it's something fun to do and you get to see a couple of good players play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Patww79 wrote: »

Really? We picked up tickets the weekend before last years one for about €20 each from ticketmaster. Ok we were right at the back but most stadiums these days have decent views from everywhere so was no great shakes being so far away.

• Advertisement

For the Croke Park game I bought them on the day of the game (about 15 minutes after kick off) from the GAA ticket office near the stadium

Have tickets for this one sorted already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Officially on sale next Monday yeah?

They'll sell that out. Bout 50,000 for an American Football game in Dublin is perfect.....
    2012 – Notre Dame 50, Navy 10 – Dublin – Attendance: 48,820 (Aviva Full)
    2014 - Penn State 26, UCF 24 - Dublin - Attendance: 53,304 (Croker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

You're counting on Boston College to fill the majority of those seats, which is a big ask given attendances in their own stadium are atrocious.

You're counting on Boston College to fill the majority of those seats, which is a big ask given attendances in their own stadium are atrocious.

Boston is about as Irish a town as you are going to find, but its not much of a college sports town.

But I'm guessing you will get a lot of people interested in visiting Ireland who are not regular Alumni Stadium goers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement