Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston College v Georgia Tech @ Aviva Stadium 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As a matter of interest, what stadium in another country do you think is better than Landsdowne in terms of location and accessibility? With the possible exception of the Millennium in Cardiff, I can’t think of many.

It’s a pity it was raining – the walk from Dublin city centre out there is always pleasant, with or without a jar on the way. As Dodge says, there were free shuttle buses also.

Anyone that insists on driving to somewhere as well-located as this, probably either needs more exercise or needs to get out and explore their own capital city more (or both).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭csirl

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Thank you for confirming what I thought and in fact I was sure you confirmed it and remembered you worked in Lansdowne. So CSIRL is full of sh1t and extremely bitter and needs to make up information to suit their own IAFA agenda again not surprising.

Got some reports back from sources. I believe the actual attendance was under 20k. More Americans than Irish. GT outnumbered BC by 4:1.

Chains on the BC side were broken (missing parts) - very embarrassing - and some of the usual field markings were missing. Support crews - chains, box, balls etc couldn't keep up with the play. Officials weren't able to do measurements that were between yard lines.

Poor selection of food in premium areas and not fully open.

The poor attendance and technical issues give a very poor impression and will mitigate against future games visiting Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If that's would you prefer in terms of a matchday experience, then that is what it is. However a stadium built in the middle of nowhere a good distance away from our biggest population centre would make for a pretty miserable experience for most sport goers IMO. Most people want to congregate somewhere before/after a game and soak up the atmosphere. Americans have a tailgating tradition to 'make their own fun' with out of town venues, we don't.

Different strokes etc but I’d say you are in a minority thinking like that (or you’re actually from Kildare).

Most people do want to enjoy ancillary facilities and you don’t have the critical mass in Kildare to support atmospheric street mingling and hospitality (not just booze I’m talking but food, bookmakers, bank machines, etc etc also).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No. They filled the seats and then took off. No standing on any I saw. Only a quick journey either way but handy for the 20 minutes of rain it saved you

csirl wrote: »
    Got some reports back from sources. I believe the actual attendance was under 20k.
    Absolute rubbish. It's getting ****ing annoying you believe "reports" despite every single person here who was at the game telling you you are wrong

You're embarrassing yourself and your organisation here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I believe the actual attendance was under 20k.

You can if you wish.

My mk-1 human eye ball would disagree though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Aren't the chains/balls the responsibility of the ACC/NCAA? I'm open to correction but surely they brought over their own gear. Did they use locals to carry the balls? I don't notice any occasion where there was no ball available.

I can't say I saw any markings missing but I did see one of the pylons at the back of the end zone on its side at one stage...!!!!

I love when someone says 'sources'. Man in pub? Another disgruntled IAFA member?

I advise you to watch the game yourself and not rely on second hand info before making anymore silly comments.

For reference 2 pics. One is the west upper tier. Another is a view from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

CS reminds me of Gob in Arrested Development when he keeps increasingly exaggerating the cost of his suit with each person he talks to.

Soon enough he'll be trying to convince us that he has confirmation there was only 12 people at the game on Saturday, and that it would have been 17 only the other 5 left at the end of the first quarter once they heard it hadn't been sanctioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Patww79 wrote:

My reports tell me that the Aviva has a max capacity of 5,000 people. Which means a crowd of 20,000 has to be seen as a massive success.

See CS? We can all pluck figures out of our arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

There was about 35,000 there or a little more, def not less, yes GT was better supported big time, good day, simple as....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bateman wrote: »
    I wouldn’t dispute the vast majority of what you say (although I think people are being slightly harsh on the IAFA lad), but does Landsdowne Road really hold 48,000 in its current setup? I thought it was closer to 45.
    Holds 52,000 for Football/Rugby

For reference, Ireland V Oman was there last Wednesday, 27,000 and the stadium was definitely significantly fuller for the BC/GT game

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Holds 52,000 for Football/Rugby

So knock off the first few rows on the East/West sides and you're down to about 48-49

According to BostonGlobe and ESPN, attendance was 40,562

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Shedite27 wrote: »
    According to BostonGlobe and ESPN, attendance was 40,562

hmm id be suspect about it being that high tbh

Indeed it does. I think that's a little high though.

http://a63.tinypic.com/160rdpf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Got some reports back from sources.
    Not that most of us are interested but do tell us what sources?
    I believe the actual attendance was under 20k.

You can believe what you want but most people who were at the game said over 30k?

More Americans than Irish.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that
    So if everybody agrees with the above, then it's not rocket science to work out how many people were there taking into account their flights, hotels etc.
    GT outnumbered BC by 4:1.
    The GT sides were a lot fully all right, a good few neutrals were in with BC so might be right.

1st 6-7 Rows of most of the East and West sides as said, were gone for advertising, North was mostly full, South Lower was 2/3 full, two blocks down by North in the Upper & Lower Tiers were empty but that was it, near enough all rest full so where else do you think was empty so that the audience was only 20k?

• Advertisement

Moving on from the crowd issue ( as that myth has been well busted at this stage), I'd like hear more about the rest of the rubbish he wrote in his last post. No balls being available at times, dodgy chains, no line markings in spots etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Got some reports back from sources. I believe the actual attendance was under 20k. More Americans than Irish. GT outnumbered BC by 4:1.

Chains on the BC side were broken (missing parts) - very embarrassing - and some of the usual field markings were missing. Support crews - chains, box, balls etc couldn't keep up with the play. Officials weren't able to do measurements that were between yard lines.

The poor attendance and technical issues give a very poor impression and will mitigate against future games visiting Aviva.

Haha the bitterness is unreal? Smear all you like but outright lying isn't a great tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Didn't notice no balls available?
    It's very strange that there's an official attendance of 40k, unoffical of 30k and "sources" saying 20k?
    One thing for sure, to lose 20,000 people is a lot of people, surprised it wasn't on the news though? :rolleyes:

Moving on from the crowd issue ( as that myth has been well busted at this stage), I'd like hear more about the rest of the rubbish he wrote in his last post.
    No balls being available at times,
    Completely incorrect. IN fact my (non sports fan) wife couldn't believe they swapped balls on practically every play. (It may have been every play, I wasn't checking)
    dodgy chains, no line markings in spots etc.
    Didn't notice this at all. Looks like the NCAA provided everything (as you'd expect) and certainly wasn't any delays to the game

EDIT; on the crowd, the figure of 40,000 wouldn't surprise me. I thought high 30s but as discussed here pre-game there were constantly people out getting food/drinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Jesus. CSIRL, your horse is dead man, stop flogging it. All you're doing now is embarrassing yourself.

It was a great day, totally enjoyable & I hope they have another one soon.

🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈
    🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
    🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

georgia-tech-boston-college-9316-usnews-twitter-ftr_rwvn35vhl95n1ct4eegg8jzwq.jpg?t=-270170314w=1000&h=750

Not an expert but pitch markings seem to be ok to my eyes

If something as basic as the pitch markings were noticeably incomplete/inaccurate/imperfect, someone at home watching the game on TV would have posted up here rather than a third-hand source…

okidoki987 wrote: »
    1st 6-7 Rows of most of the East and West sides as said, were gone for advertising
    Those seats were purposely left unused, too many big substitutes standing in front of them so they don't sell them for American Football

On the phone to the missus there. Asked her how many she though was at the game.

"About 40,000 or so. Sure there were about 3,000 on the pitch alone!"

So there you have it; the last word on the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Oh man the lies keep on coming. You are an absolute embarrassment to the game in Ireland at this point and as I said before I know who you are and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

As for the GT fan outnumbering the BC fans hardly shocking seen as BC cant fill their own stadium. But these stats have been provided earlier that you chose to ignore.

But what has that got to do with bad organising?

I know this is bollocks and looking at all images and video those field markings were fine and as for the chains I also know that is bollocks because the equipment managers for each college have repair kits for all of the equipment on the field. As for them not keeping up with play yeah ok they looked just fine yesterday. Propaganda is running strong in your veins.

So no different to any other sporting event held in Ireland then. From what people have said seemed like it was the same food as always served so if people didn't like the food it comes down to personal preference really.

But seen as you brought that up what has that got to do with your agenda? Do you think the IAFA would have made it better? I am not getting what point your are trying to prove by nitpicking everything.

No it wont. No different to any other stadium in the world. Small problems arise and then iron them out later on. But again I ask why do you care? It doesn't suit your IAFA agenda unless you believe the IAFA would have done a better job fixing all of the above problems even though you would have had no involvement in any of them.

What is sad you have made the IAFA looks a hundred times worse with your posts. Rather than damage control you have made it worse and to be honest with you if you keep nitpicking and making up lies from "sources" you will undo any reputation the sport in Ireland has had on this forum. And as someone who dealt with the struggles of trying to promote and get people involved before I moved to the US it pains me to see you dig a huge hole and keep digging further.

Accept it at this point. Both yourselves and the IAEL did things the wrong way. The game went off without a hitch and over 30k people enjoyed the day. Move on and grow up before you drop and grenade and blow yourself up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement