Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston College v Georgia Tech @ Aviva Stadium 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just on the food as i go to a lot of events in the aviva

its cheap ass burger and chips.. it always runs out (the catering crowd cannot cope with a 3+ hour long event)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I was disappointed the hot dogs were only 5.50, was looking forward to seeing what an 11 quid hotdog looked like.

They were decent quality too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Bateman wrote: »
    I was disappointed the hot dogs were only 5.50, was looking forward to seeing what an 11 quid hotdog looked like.

They were decent quality too

I don't believe you. csirl told me the hot dogs were 14eur and you only got a cocktail sausage wrapped in a slice of moldy bread. Why would he lie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

just on the food as i go to a lot of events in the aviva

its cheap ass burger and chips.. it always runs out (the catering crowd cannot cope with a 3+ hour long event)

Sure how could they have run out with only 400 people in the stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

CSIRL is getting a roasting.... and i actually felt bad until his last message about reports.... and we heard.... and this happened....

I really hope that all this is on the agenda for the AGM because the IAFA and yourself look absolutely ridiculous.

You asked what should the IAFA have done - sure you could disagree with it because of your state funding that you want to protect - even though every player in Ireland pays a membership and no club ever gets a cent from any of it or state funding - but dont go around releasing press releases or scare mongering! It reflects bad on the Irish game and system when you are just being so obviously biased....

IAFA would have had absolutely nothing to do with the Chains(that apparently were broke) - they would have had an NCAA Chain Gang & Referees come over for it - not anything to do with IAFA
    Also i never realised the IAFA were going into catering.... the food in the premium boxes wasnt up to scratch - im pretty sure thats an aviva issue rather than the iafa

On the basis of your preformance here on boards.... if you are on the board of the IAFA..... I would review your position or at least show a copy of this forum to your members at the AGM because its nothing short of embarrassing and would be interesting to see if they are in such agreement with you...

P.S. because the IAFA didnt push it this year they missed out on 4000 tickets - lies - As a member of a team i know about 30 people with the club were in attendance and may others from IAFA affiliated clubs attended too....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'm actually looking forward to the AGM now. Wouldnt normally attend these events but am def gona push to go to this one, just for this topic on the agenda :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Had an absolute blast of a day myself plus the mates/family I was with.

The fact that there was only an attendance of 376 meant we could get right down to the front actually.....

CSirl.....if there is one thing thats for certain in my mind after reading this thread the past week is that if the next game here had anything to do with you or your like minded colleagues, that would put me off far more than a lack of hotdogs. Everyone I spoke to during and after loved the day out.

I would thought that the fact you are involved in the sport here would mean that you would appreciate all the good press that it is getting from people who were actually there.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Dodge wrote: »
    On the phone to the missus there. Asked her how many she though was at the game.

"About 40,000 or so. Sure there were about 3,000 on the pitch alone!"

So there you have it; the last word on the crowd

Overestimates the size of everything your missus ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

its cheap ass burger and chips..

Cheap and Aviva in the same line? :eek:

Pint and Hot dog was a tenner which wasn't that bad considering a pint was €6.00.
    Pity the people behind the counters couldn't get the food and drink out faster as some of the queues were very long.
    There was only 1 credit card machine where I was (4 lines) so that was messy enough for people having to move through lines of people to be able to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

He has been shown up as an absolute spoofer. Walter Mitty wouldn't get a look in. Tbh I love seeing him so salty. Just goes to show how pathetic him and his organisation are. The bitter runs strong in this one. Sour because his pathetic joke of an organisation didn't get a slice of the pie or have any involvement in one of the greatest American football events ran outside of America. Delighted. Hope the iAfa crawl back to the hole they came from. The gaa will know next time now too that we don't need the involvement of this joke of an organisation and will save an extra few quid as well. Won't be long till the iafail are buried into oblivion and Csirl is left licking his wounds and throwing his rattler around in his sea of bitterness while the rest of us enjoy the games and our lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

On the food, that's 100% the stadium's own catering. I've organized events in there and they won't allow any other companies operate in there. Whether it's football, american football, or a conference on there it's the exact same food provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Shedite27 wrote: »
    On the food, that's 100% the stadium's own catering. I've organized events in there and they won't allow any other companies operate in there. Whether it's football, american football, or a conference on there it's the exact same food provided.

Everyone who has been to the stadium knows this. I know you're only replying to your mans earlier post but I think at this stage we can discount all his BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

I got tickets on ticket master for €20 so I don't know why people are saying they were priced out of going to the game. There were plenty of free buses to the aviva from the city centre as well so getting to and from the stadium wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I got tickets on ticket master for €20 so I don't know why people are saying they were priced out of going to the game.

There were a limited number tickets priced at €20 in the last few days before the match due to the massive number of tickets that were still available.
    I for one, wasn't happy with tickets going beside mine for less than half of what I had paid but it would have pushed the attendance up for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I wouldn’t dispute the vast majority of what you say (although I think people are being slightly harsh on the IAFA lad), but does Landsdowne Road really hold 48,000 in its current setup? I thought it was closer to 45.

Even with some seats down the sides covered up and sections reserved for the bands?

Can hold 53,000 but only 51,700 tickets are made available to the public for say a six nations game.

The other 1,300 are for the media or are restricted view seats (as in you can't see the TV screens).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kaliberbeats

**snip**

Fantastic weekend of football. It was a pleasure to watch a well reffed game again in this country. Saturday was great craic, about 35k in attendance by HT. Fair play to the GT fans, they deserved the win. I enjoyed Friday more though. 3 very enjoyable games well attended. 8.5 hours of football. Mostly different crowds for each game. Plenty of English and Europeans in the stands for the high school games. Many brought their familys too. It was free in which is great when you consider they charge into the Shamrock Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

haha i looked it up the other day too.... pretty easy to figure it out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

It's been getting good press in the US also. Would be very beneficial to the country to have more than one a year & dare we dream of possibly hosting an NFL event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

OU812 wrote: »
    It's been getting good press in the US also. Would be very beneficial to the country to have more than one a year & dare we dream of possibly hosting an NFL event.

Realistically, if we can mantain one NCAA game a year we'll be doing very, very well. Opening day of the season suits.

There's a still a bit of a novelty associated with it (look at all the first timers in this thread). We don't have a stadium big (Aviva) or good (Croker) for an NFL game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

I think hosting the college games gives Dublin more of a unique niche anyway, what with the NFL playing multiple games a year in London now.

Its also slightly easier for the lay person to get into I think, given games move a little faster time-wise than NFL games. And are cheaper to attend.

To be fair College games are generally much more entertaining than pro football. There's more chance of trick plays and mistakes.

Agree with all of the above, stick to the niche we are trying to carve out. Keep up the events around it

College games more colourful, enjoyable, and less corporate than NFL. Let London have the NFL.

And NFL teams don't have bands. Love the HT show from the bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I dunno, I'm sure we could convince Hometown to perform one of their hit singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Redskins do!

edit - and the Ravens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

With the NFL so engrained in London I imagine their next move would be mainland Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

With the NFL so engrained in London I imagine their next move would be mainland Europe?

If there was an expansion I think Germany would be the destination.

I also echo the above sentiment.
    Holding onto NCAA games would be smart.... become the first and best choice for overseas games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think there's different agendas involved. The NFL games are all about promoting the game in Europe and increasing interest and growing the league etc. whereas the college games here seem to be more about promoting Ireland as a country to the US in terms of tourism and business opportunities.

• Advertisement

Agree with all of the above, stick to the niche we are trying to carve out. Keep up the events around it

College games more colourful, enjoyable, and less corporate than NFL. Let London have the NFL.

Was right beside the BC band and despite a mild hangover not made any better, would get tickets for the same area next time. Very enjoyable being in there with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement