Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston College v Georgia Tech @ Aviva Stadium 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I have a 15% off promo code for tickets for this game. If anyone wants it PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Shedite27 wrote: »
    They had one in Crok Park 2014

That was no prob as the planes were going north to south.

At the Aviva they need to go west to east and south. Right in the way of the airport.

I am working at the game and would love a flypast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 TonyCochrane

Anyone know what the sales are like overall? Getting close to the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone know what the sales are like overall? Getting close to the day.

On ticket master they have interactive seat selection so you can see which seats are available. The last time I checked about 3 weeks ago, there were loads of seats left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id imagine that a lot of casual fans went to Croker and decided that they wouldn't be too pushed. I would certainly be in that category left Croker at half time bored and went for a pint, Ive been to an NFL match and watch a bit on telly so I knew what to expect but the atmosphere was dead in a half empty stadium with the pitch miles from the stands. I know it would probably be better in the smaller stadium with the smaller pitch area but I never even considered going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

salmocab wrote:
    Id imagine that a lot of casual fans went to Croker and decided that they wouldn't be too pushed. I would certainly be in that category left Croker at half time bored and went for a pint, Ive been to an NFL match and watch a bit on telly so I knew what to expect but the atmosphere was dead in a half empty stadium with the pitch miles from the stands. I know it would probably be better in the smaller stadium with the smaller pitch area but I never even considered going.

First half of that game was terrible. Second half was a thriller though. Your loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Second half of that croker game was a real nail biter.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

OU812 wrote: »
    Second half of that croker game was a real nail biter.

Won on the last throw of the game IIRC.
    UCF side on the right hand side was hopping where I was.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Won on the last throw of the game IIRC.
    UCF side on the right hand side was hopping where I was.

That's right. Turned my brother who hated AF into a real fan. Couldn't believe how tense it was and how quickly it could all change.

I posted the full game earlier in this thread, you can fly through it to the last ten minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Anybody know if there will be a high school game the night before again? There was a game at UCD last time out

Anybody know if there will be a high school game the night before again? There was a game at UCD last time out

There's 3 on in Trinity on the Friday from early afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

CBS pre-season rankings out there...
    Georgia Tech (63), Boston College (87)...

Bateman wrote: »
    CBS pre-season rankings out there...
    Georgia Tech (63), Boston College (87)...

So the equivalent of MK Dons against Doncaster Rovers then..??

Only joking, I'm not bothered by the fact that they're not 2 of the better teams. I'm just looking forward to seeing a good game that's hopefully close up to the end.

There's 3 on in Trinity on the Friday from early afternoon.

Will they be on the main rugby pitch? It's looking good at the minute, as it always does in the off-season

So the equivalent of MK Dons against Doncaster Rovers then..??

Only joking, I'm not bothered by the fact that they're not 2 of the better teams. I'm just looking forward to seeing a good game that's hopefully close up to the end.

Agreed, anyone with a passing interest knows they aren't going to see teams that will be playing football into 2017

Will they be on the main rugby pitch? It's looking good at the minute, as it always does in the off-season

I was just looking at the official website for the game there and it now says that the high school games "will be played at Donnybrook Stadium". I hadn't heard of the games getting moved from Trinity but it looks like they have been.

http://collegefootballireland.com/highschool/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah hopefully some in the Aviva, gear looks decent anyway.

I buy a lot from fansedge.com and the quality is pretty good

I think both teams have pretty ugly jerseys so won't be buying either. I was supposed to be going with a BC alumni but am going with the missus now, so will probably do what I usually do for these games - put a good bit of money on one side to really get into it.

• Advertisement

Do they deliver here? I have ordered from them before when I had a cousin in the US, apart from them bombarding you with emails their service is decent.

Ordered from them plenty of times. Found their delivery very quickly. You pay customs when you're placing your order, so there's no hold up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Do they deliver here? I have ordered from them before when I had a cousin in the US, apart from them bombarding you with emails their service is decent.
    What jamarcus said. I've ordered 5 times. Pretty quick delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I was just looking at the official website for the game there and it now says that the high school games "will be played at Donnybrook Stadium". I hadn't heard of the games getting moved from Trinity but it looks like they have been.

http://collegefootballireland.com/highschool/

I got an email about them this week. Strange playing 3 games on the same pitch same day... if it is raining it will be a total disaster.

First game is at 11, last one at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Degs1967

I think it's astroturf there....three games on the grass rugby pitch in Trinity College would have been interesting alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Degs1967 wrote: »
    I think it's astroturf there....three games on the grass rugby pitch in Trinity College would have been interesting alright....

Ah is it... now that u mention it I remember talk of it being a 3G pitch or something. I was there the day they played 2 small college games on the grass and it did rain that day. It was a muckfest at the end. John Carroll from Ohio was one of the teams, Don Shulas (and Tom Telescos) alma mater.

Given the care and work that goes into that rugby pitch during the off-season, I’d have been surprised that it was being considered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Both pitches in Donnybrook are synthetic so no mud anywhere and a spare pitch for warming up on etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We doing a boards meet up before the highschool games or the college game?

Great sporting weekend with American football the Saturday and all Ireland hurling final the Sunday.

My ticket's for the West Stand so it looks like I'm a BC supporter for the day. I was leaning towards them anyway as I was at the game back vs Army back in 88 or 89 or whenever it was and I think I was cheering for them that day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

Looks like theres a decent amount of tickets sold playing around with the seat selector on Ticketmaster. Hopefully there's a bit of promotion for it in the media over the next fortnight and we get a sell-out.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Looks like theres a decent amount of tickets sold playing around with the seat selector on Ticketmaster. Hopefully there's a bit of promotion for it in the media over the next fortnight and we get a sell-out.

I'm seeing a lot of posters and signs up for it around Dublin. Certainly a bigger marketing push this year compared to the last 2 times, but that may be because of sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

From what I've heard it still hasn't been paid, I doubt they will pull the pin on it now but just pay after instead, but it still isn't a sanctioned game,

• Advertisement

Lifestyle have a load of stuff for sale now. Unfortunately it's all game specific as opposed to team stuff though. Probably aimed at the Yanks.

Which Lifestyle shop is that?

Which Lifestyle shop is that?

St stephen's Green. Actually now that I think of it, it isn't a lifestyle anymore. It changed to Intersport a while back (they're part of Elverys aren't they?).

Sorry for the misinformation.

Game on

Department confirms there is no law to stop American football match being played without go-ahead from Irish association
    http://jrnl.ie/2944620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

OU812 wrote: »
    Game on

Department confirms there is no law to stop American football match being played without go-ahead from Irish association
    http://jrnl.ie/2944620

Basically the IAFA were chancing their arm to get 15k off the promoter and willing to lose a game worth millions to the economy

• Advertisement

Great little country etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is college football in Dublin in danger if this doesn't sell out? There are a lot of tickets unsold on ticketmaster.

I think the event will continue for the next few years anyway. There must be a realisation that this isn’t really a blockbuster match, and if it sells out, or even gets close to selling out, they’ll be happy enough.

There are a whole host of networking events that go on over these weekends, beyond the game itself, and you’d imagine the success of that sort of stuff is, to some extent anyway, independent to the success of the game itself.

I think it was very short sighted to assume Boston's Irish connection would ensure ticket sales were fine for this. It's a completely different situation than Notre Dame few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭conor222

Looking forward to seeing some live football again though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Here's the IAFA's statement on the matter.

http://www.americanfootball.ie/iafa-statement-aer-lingus-college-football-classic-supporting-events/

Seems the promoters aren't as professional as previous organisers. I can't imagine offical sanction would've been too hard to get....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Guffy

deisedude wrote: »
    Basically the IAFA were chancing their arm to get 15k off the promoter and willing to lose a game worth millions to the economy

Shoddy journalism to be fair. Statement on iafa website is pretty detailed on the other point of view.

http://www.americanfootball.ie/iafa-statement-aer-lingus-college-football-classic-supporting-events/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

IAFA statement was a little vague in places but makes some fair points.

The most interesting thing I took from it though is that I hadn't realised that this match was being organised by a different events company to the other matches. Anyone know if the other two matches were done by the one company and if so why a different one was needed this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Different companies for each of the previous events

The “poor track record” point is strong stuff. I know one of the named directors cut his teeth doing corporate gigs and other events at the likes of Slane Castle.
    Couldn’t find much negative stuff on him though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement