Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston College v Georgia Tech @ Aviva Stadium 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm going to prepare for the potential for a flyover just before kick-off so I don't almost **** myself before I've even sat down like two years ago.

I thought we were being invaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Those tshirts are the pits, surely nobody will buy them. Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bateman wrote: »
    Those tshirts are the pits, surely nobody will buy them. Jesus

What shop were they in (Carrolls maybe) as they're not the official ones that are in Elverys? Definitely look like cheap knock offs.

It's obvious they're cheap knockoffs as they are avoiding using the correct school names for copyright reasons...

Horrendous

Anyway I heard there are plenty of stalls selling decent stuff in Trinity. Planning on having a look at lunchtime tomorrow...

Are there many Yanks over for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'd be surprised. There will be some but I'm not expecting the sort of numbers at the last two. I think a fair few people are coming from the UK and Europe though. There's a big thread about the game over on the NFLUK message board.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Are there many Yanks over for this?

I passed a few around town today. As said above, not as many as the other years though. Maybe they all haven't arrived yet?

I passed a few around town today. As said above, not as many as the other years though. Maybe they all haven't arrived yet?

There were a few at the Ireland game last night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

How long should the whole game last, as in from 12:30 until roughly ?

• Advertisement

How long should the whole game last, as in from 12:30 until roughly ?

Should be over by 4:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Buttros wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the gates open at, cant find the info anywhere.

Been to the last two games in Dublin but never went to the tailgate. Is it worth heading along to?

I was at the "tailgate" in Temple Bar for the Penn State/UCF game two years ago. Couple of games like throwing a football through a hoop but really just an excuse to drink cans on the street. The place was packed with Americans and we got talking to a load of them so was decent craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I installed the RapidQ app last night and it had Ireland v Oman as the open event... the reviews don't look promising though.

I see there's rain forecast for saturday. I'm in Row A of the South Stand Upper, so wondering what level of cover that will have?
    Fingers crossed it's covered or it'll be poncho time.

Upper tiers no problem. Only place you will get wet is if you are in the first few rows of the lower tiers. Maybe first 5 or 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I installed the RapidQ app last night and it had Ireland v Oman as the open event... the reviews don't look promising though.

I'm nearly sure it won't work before the match starts if the Irish one is the same as the one for the Ireland v France game in the Euros.
    Signed up at that match, you type in Block, Row & Seat number, what you want (food & drink), credit card dets and that was it.
    10 minutes later while the other guys were standing in a queue at the counter,
    I was getting a delivery from a very good looking girl at my seat.
    Same prices as the stand and no hassle, 100% class but I'm sure the Irish will muck it up.
    They did it for a few of the Euro matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭polaris68

Don't know much about Georgia Tech, but there isn't that much interest in Boston College in the Boston area. I was at a Notre Dame game there a few years ago, pretty small stadium with their fans mostly current and past students.

In short don't be expecting half of Southie over at this!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was down doing a tour of Glendalough today, I brought my team for the hike... they now hate me.

Lots of GT fans down there, didnt see 1 BC fan.

Also got chatting to 3 guys from florida/DC.. they didnt know the game was on

• Advertisement

Sportsfile have a few photos of BC fans around town today, gotta say though from being in town myself I've only seen a handful of GT and no BC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Was at the marching band thing in Malahide. Unfortunately the start was delayed by RTE filming some doctor thing out there which meant by the time we had to leave only two Irish bands had been on. Kids were disappointed.

About 1200-1400 people there judging by empty seats (out of 2000).

Good fun.

Met a family from Boston who'd been on a tour of Ireland and didn't know the game was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

OU812 wrote: »

Met a family from Boston who'd been on a tour of Ireland and didn't know the game was on.

Still tickets available. Don't buy from touts on the street .

I would suggest that anyone with tickets for the north stand looks up the right route to take.. (Red route)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Bottles of Carlsberg are 6 euro from the people with the coolers and hot dogs are 10.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Boaty wrote: »
    Bottles of Carlsberg are 6 euro from the people with the coolers and hot dogs are 10.50.

10.50 for lips and arseholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I rarely go to the Aviva, what's the best way of getting there? Will be driving into Dublin, is there anywhere nearby to park, I don't mind a bit of a walk to the ground. Or should I go to a Luas park and ride somewhere in South Dublin, assuming such a place exists? I'm coming from Kildare.

And €10.50 for a hot dog? Really?

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Good point, where is good to park reasonably close ?

It's mostly street parking. You see people park up anywhere in Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, etc. The Luas is right by the stadium though so it's easy to park by any station.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Boaty wrote: »

Jesus that's ridiculous. I'll be sure to eat plenty before heading to the aviva anyway

I'll be taking the €21 the Aviva was going to charge me for hot dogs (which I would have got up to about €6 ea) & putting it toward some BBQ after the game somewhere in town.

Not even proper hot dogs anyway. They do Ketchup instead of relish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's mostly street parking. You see people park up anywhere in Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, etc. The Luas is right by the stadium though so it's easy to park by any station.

Nearest Luas stop is The Point and it's a good 15-20 minute walk through Irish town to get to the stadium from there

Oh and it's not €10.50 for a hot dog either. Food and drink is stadium pricing (ie far dearer than your local shop/pub) but it isn't that bad. It's about €5-7 for a burger/hot dog

Good few Boston fans about town this morning.

Sorry, I meant the Dart :o

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

If it's usual Aviva prices then it'll be €5.50 for a hotdog.

Just on the parking, lot of areas around the Aviva are pay & display areas. A lot of lads could find themselves being clamped when they return after the game! Just something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

€10.50 for a bottle of Carlsberg and a hot dog I presume, similar in the 3 Arena....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Sorry, I meant the Dart :o

And so did I! Teaches me for posting on my phone early in the morning :)

Thanks, I think I might look at a Dart park and ride...

J.

• Advertisement

Going to get a good breakfast into me somewhere local before heading to Temple Bar for some festivities – anyone going into the ground hungry is obviously a prime candidate to overpay for food but there’s no excuse really, unless you want to

OK lads. Wife wants to go straight there, I want to soak up some atmosphere beforehand. Whats on in town that I can convince her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

OK lads. Wife wants to go straight there, I want to soak up some atmosphere beforehand. Whats on in town that I can convince her?

There's the pre-game "tailgate" in Trinity. Thats probably your best shout:

http://hub.collegefootballireland.com/event-posts/trinity-village/

Blut2 wrote: »
    There's the pre-game "tailgate" in Trinity. Thats probably your best shout:

http://hub.collegefootballireland.com/event-posts/trinity-village/

Brilliant. Just the thing. Looks like we'll be leaving an hour earlier than she's planned :)

Their Facebook has just mentioned flyovers, but has an image of a prop plane...

Anyway I heard there are plenty of stalls selling decent stuff in Trinity. Planning on having a look at lunchtime tomorrow...

I hope you didn't waste your time. I just had a look around and the gear for sale, while different to the stuff in Elvery's is still pretty poor. Nothing like the stuff you'd get online for either team anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Their Facebook has just mentioned flyovers, but has an image of a prop plane...

Prop plane would make more sense... can travel at lower speeds... from inside the stadium you can't really see the jets approaching and then voom they're gone.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Prop plane would make more sense... can travel at lower speeds... from inside the stadium you can't really see the jets approaching and then voom they're gone.

It's the noise though man... THE NOISE !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I hope you didn't waste your time.

I did :(

Wandered up at lunch time, generic souvenir shirts, caps and hoodies.

Nothing I'd take even if it was free.

• Advertisement

I wandered up on my lunchbreak. The t-shirts are decent enough but are all branded with Trinity name also, WFT is that all about. If it was sunny this evening, there’d be a good buzz in there with the food and drink stalls. But they might struggle to draw much of a crowd as not a lot people seem to know it’s going on.

I wandered up on my lunchbreak. The t-shirts are decent enough but are all branded with Trinity name also, WFT is that all about. If it was sunny this evening, there’d be a good buzz in there with the food and drink stalls. But they might struggle to draw much of a crowd as not a lot people seem to know it’s going on.

I was there at about 1 today and it was fairly dead. There were a good few people around but there was no one at any of the food/drink stalls. And I mean that literally. 0 people buying any food or drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭conor222

Thinking of heading up there to have a look now after work, see what its like

There were a handful drinking about 12:30 but not many

Who knows, it may fill up if the evening is sunny. Word of mouth and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just came through the airport and there's a noticeable crowd of Yanks about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Sorry I misread the information, hot dogs from the people with the bags will cost 5.50, they won't have mayo or ketchup with them, so make sure there's some nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

aer lingus a320 doing a fly over, thats it.

anyone seen any decent gear? the official merchandise is, once again a joke... Would like a BC cap with the logo not just a bloody BC printed on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just came through the airport and there's a noticeable crowd of Yanks about

There is tons in town as well. Most must have only "touched down" today.

Had a fun day watching the High School games today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Would one be out of place in a volts jerset....colts jersey..damn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Deco99 wrote: »
    Would one be out of place in a volts jerset
    you will see all types, i'll be in my titans t shirt

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement