Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little issue with an old Eircom account?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭

From memory I think I have only been an Eircom customer for a period of about 2 months during the last 15+ years and that was maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Before and after that I was with Vodiafone for my home phone and broadband package. A little over 2 years ago I moved from Vodafone to Sky for those services.

When I made that move my details were secured by Sky from Eircom. The problem I have is that I pay €2.82 per month for handset rental which is something that Eircom have mistakenly included in my old account details. Despite repeated requests Sky cant get rid of the charge and when this first came to light I rang Eircom and the response I got at the time was (to paraphrase) "sorry but as you are no longer our customer we cant help". Just to add that Sky do apply credits to my account every so often in respect of the €2.82/month charge.

During my time with Vodafone this was never an issue as Im assuming that they had the proper systems in place while Sky who were new players into the telephone and broadband market did not and do not have their systems set up to cater for this type of issue.

So good people of Eircom are any of you willing to take up the baton and get this mistake rectified?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

muffler wrote: »
    From memory I think I have only been an Eircom customer for a period of about 2 months during the last 15+ years and that was maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Before and after that I was with Vodiafone for my home phone and broadband package. A little over 2 years ago I moved from Vodafone to Sky for those services.

When I made that move my details were secured by Sky from Eircom. The problem I have is that I pay €2.82 per month for handset rental which is something that Eircom have mistakenly included in my old account details. Despite repeated requests Sky cant get rid of the charge and when this first came to light I rang Eircom and the response I got at the time was (to paraphrase) "sorry but as you are no longer our customer we cant help". Just to add that Sky do apply credits to my account every so often in respect of the €2.82/month charge.

During my time with Vodafone this was never an issue as Im assuming that they had the proper systems in place while Sky who were new players into the telephone and broadband market did not and do not have their systems set up to cater for this type of issue.

So good people of Eircom are any of you willing to take up the baton and get this mistake rectified?
    Hi muffler

I will be happy to look in to this further if you would like to PM me your eircom account number

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi muffler

I will be happy to look in to this further if you would like to PM me your eircom account number

Thanks
    Al
    I would if I could Al  :) 

I just cant put my hands on the old Eircom account number right now but I may well have an old bill filed away but I would need to look that up later.

Is the UAN any good?

Hi muffler

Thanks
    Al
    I would if I could Al  :) 

I just cant put my hands on the old Eircom account number right now but I may well have an old bill filed away but I would need to look that up later.

Is the UAN any good?
    Apologies muffler

I had misunderstood that your are currently eircom customer - apologies. I will need to seek clarification on the process involved in removing this charge before proceeding. As soon as I have more information on this I will let you know but if in the meantime you can PM me your land line number that should help me locate your old account.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al, I'll fire off a PM now.

Thanks Al, I'll fire off a PM now.
    Thanks muffler

I'll let you know as soon as I have have any clarification on this

Al

• Advertisement

Any update on this yet?

Any update on this yet?
    Hi muffler

Apologies for the delays with this, I will actively chase this up for you and ensure I have an update by the end of the day.

Thanks
    Al

Cheers Al. :)

Cheers Al. :)
    Hi muffler

I genuinely hoped to offer you clarification today however this is not possible. I will continue to chase this up until a resolution has been identified.

Thanks
    Al

So, any news yet?

• Advertisement

So, any news yet?
    Hello muffler

I have finally been able to track down the right information on this for you.

Unfortunately eircom cannot remove this charge from your bill and the request must be made by your current service provider to eircom wholesale. There are specific regulations which prevent eircom from accessing your account and taking action as per your request when you are with another provider. If you have queries on this you are welcome to contact the commission for communications regulation on 1890226668.

I was hoping I could take action on this for you however this is not possible. You will need to instruct your current provider to contact eircom wholesale to remove this phone.

Thanks
    Al

So, any news yet?
    Hello muffler

Unfortunately eircom cannot remove this charge from your bill and the request must be made by your current service provider to eircom wholesale. There are specific regulations which prevent eircom from accessing your account and taking action as per your request when you are with another provider. If you have queries on this you are welcome to contact the commission for communications regulation on 1890226668.

I was hoping I could take action on this for you however this is not possible. You will need to instruct your current provider to contact eircom wholesale to remove this phone.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the reply Alan although its not exactly what I had expected but not surprising either.

Through the medium of this Eircom "talk to" forum I asked for an amendment to be made to details held on me by Eircom. Those details are in relation to me and my original account with Eircom from a long number of years ago and are now incorrect. Eircom, being the incumbent fixed land line and telephone provider in the Republic of Ireland, are responsible for securing those details and ensuring they are accurate.

I tried to rectify this issue in a simple manner but that has been denied. Accordingly I will now make a formal subject access request under the Data Protection Act and would be obliged if you would furnish me with the address to which I should make said request.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why are you going to the data protection people?  Why not ask Comreg for their assistance?

dub45 wrote: »
    Why are you going to the data protection people?  Why not ask Comreg for their assistance?
    Not going to anyone yet other than Eircom. I need to secure copies of all the data they hold on me before escalating the matter.

So, any news yet?
    Hello muffler

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the reply Alan although its not exactly what I had expected but not surprising either.

Through the medium of this Eircom "talk to" forum I asked for an amendment to be made to details held on me by Eircom. Those details are in relation to me and my original account with Eircom from a long number of years ago and are now incorrect. Eircom, being the incumbent fixed land line and telephone provider in the Republic of Ireland, are responsible for securing those details and ensuring they are accurate.

I tried to rectify this issue in a simple manner but that has been denied. Accordingly I will now make a formal subject access request under the Data Protection Act and would be obliged if you would furnish me with the address to which I should make said request.

Thanks
    Hi muffler

Unfortunately eircom cannot act on an account with another provider unless the request comes from the customers service provider - as I had mentioned the commission for communications regulation on 1890226668 will be able to clarify this for you.

If you would like to make a formal request please lodge an official complaint inputting your request online here [font=Times New Roman","serif]:

[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]https://www.eircom.net/logacomplaint.jsp
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] Customer complaints
    5th Floor,
    Telephone house
    Marlborough street,
    Dublin 1[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

Alan, I'm not making a complaint at this stage anyhow. I was asking for an address where I can send a subject access request to which is what I posted earlier.

if you feel you cant provide that then dont worry about it as I'll track it down myself.

Hi muffler

Unfortunately eircom cannot act on an account with another provider unless the request comes from the customers service provider - as I had mentioned the commission for communications regulation on 1890226668 will be able to clarify this for you.

Just on the highlighted bit Al please note that Sky have said they cant do this - LINK

So if you are sure you are correct maybe you could fire off a PM to Dav or Niamh in the Boards office asking for permission to answer the Sky Rep on thread.

dub45 wrote: »
    Not going to anyone yet other than Eircom. I need to secure copies of all the data they hold on me before escalating the matter.
    Hi muffler,

I'll double check this and get back to you soon

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement