Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of house Carlingford rd, drumcondra

Options
  • 04-06-2015 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

anyone by any chance know how old the house on carlingford road, drumcondra, D9 are?

cant seem to find any info online, if no one knows here ill pop into the land registry office

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Late 19th century. I'd bet 1890's.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

why do you think that might i ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Don't know the houses, but 1890s a good guess, it was a period of expansion and gentrification. Have you looked at the old census online and the OSI historical online maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Carlingford Road is mapped here, apparently fully-built: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,715979,736621,11,9. That map dates from late in the 19th century.

If you check the 1901 census, there were 166 peple living on Carlingford Road.

[Edit: I was doing the checking as MouseTail was posting!]

thanks for all the replies. What have I started, this could lead into days worth of reading the history of the area and its people :)

1890 seems like a good guess, but I thought it might date to before that even.
    St Alphonsus Convent has a history going back to 1855 and due to a growing community and the new monastery built in 1871. (think i have got that correct). Perhaps carlingford rd was already there. More digging required.

found this to be an interesting read http://www.abandonedireland.com/Cherry_Garden.html
    the following quote is from it:

"....Clonturk House, Drumcondra. This unusual house and its grounds had been developed as a spa and amusement park by a Dublin dancing master called John Arthur Du Val (1773-c. 1827). Du Val set out, apparently to exploit 'hypocondriacs and dyspeptics' visiting the city."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

owen85 wrote: »
    why do you think that might i ask?

The gentle arched windows are a typical late Victorian pointer. Our place is a bit older (1880's), and a bit plainer on the window front. It's also in a spot that would have preceded development in Drumcondra, which was mostly fields at that stage.

thanks for all the replies. What have I started, this could lead into days worth of reading the history of the area and its people :)

1890 seems like a good guess, but I thought it might date to before that even.
    Find a copy of Drumcondra and its Environs by Louis O'Flaherty.

It appears that Carlingford Road was developed after 1885 by James Derwin, and there was conflict with the Drumcondra Township surveyor, P.F. Leonard, who judged that there was an excessive use of breezeblock, which was a fire hazard. The Town Commissioners included a number of developers, including James Derwin, and ignored their own surveyor's concerns.

Makes you think of the tiger days of 2005.

wonder which houses had the breeze block. all the houses along carlingford rd are solid red brick.

wonder which houses had the breeze block. all the houses along carlingford rd are solid red brick.
    That's the frontage.

same to the rear. most of the houses have breeze block extensions on them at the rear but that was done much later. solid red brick everywhere else apart from some dolphins barn yellow brick in the interior room dividing walls

• Advertisement

Perhaps remedial work was undertaken.

When I read it, I was surprised to learn that breeze block was considered a fire hazard. I had thought that its main (and only real) disadvantage was that it was not the best load-bearing material.

maybe they hired P.F leonard, fired him, took his advice and never paid him.

Advertisement