Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

waiting for a parcel from Germany

• 04-06-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

I recently made a purchase on line and the guy told me he was going to ship the product, from Germany on May 22nd last. I have yet to receive it. Should I be worried?
    It may have been sent by standard mail. Does anybody know how long I should expect to wait??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

A fella called Aongus maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It depends.

What's in the parcel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Its "coffee" isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It does seem a bit long, but there have been a couple of public holidays in that time and generally things slow down during the holiday season. I would leave it til monday and then start shouting. Also, it could be in irish customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was it on eBay? How big was the parcel? Shouldn't take any longer than a week or thereabouts. Contact the seller again and ask for tracking maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I got a delivery of a small computer battery by DHL packet from Germany the other week which took 9 days from dispatch to arrival.

So it mightn't be lost yet. Standard mail can take 2-3 weeks from Germany for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I live in Germany. Parcels from the UK through Amazon can take up to 2 weeks, even small ones. Sit tight, maybe give your post office a buzz and see if it's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

brevity wrote: »
    Its "coffee" isn't it?

"herbal" tea, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You should definitely be looking to get a tracking number off them if they say they were going to send it on the 22nd. I had an order dispatched from Leipzig on May 23rd and it arrived in Dublin on the 28th that went via DHL.

Even if it was sent standard post that is way too long An Post give a delivery time of 3/4 working days for a parcel going the other way via standard you wouldn't expect our system to be much faster than theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Email them and ask them, do you speak German?

Here is what you should write

'Ver ist my package?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

'Ver ist my package?'
    Ach du speakst wery gut germanish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

wo ist mein paket?'

FYP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eamoc

'Ver ist my package?'

Ha! Smartarse!!

'Ver ist my package?'

Ha! Smartarse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

eamoc wrote: »
    Ha! Smartarse!!
    Ha! Smartarse!!

Ha! Doble post.

DeadHand wrote: »
    It depends.

What's in the parcel?

Hi its a small synthesizer.....it cost me 500 bucks. He said he got a tracking number, but he didn't include it in any contact I had with him. And now he's on his holidays :-(

mad muffin wrote: »
    Ha! Doble post.

Crappy browser... Hit back arrow and it got reposted

Whisky Mac wrote: »
    It does seem a bit long, but there have been a couple of public holidays in that time and generally things slow down during the holiday season. I would leave it til monday and then start shouting. Also, it could be in irish customs.

Customs....hadn't thought of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Customs....hadn't thought of that...
    As its from the EU there will be no VAT due on it, so the only reason customs would be involved would be if they thought it was prohibited or drugs or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

rubadub wrote: »
    As its from the EU there will be no VAT due on it, so the only reason customs would be involved would be if they thought it was prohibited or drugs or something.
    Is it alcohol or tobacco? While you can bring dutiable goods across EU borders, you have to carry them yourself, no post or couriers allowed

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »

Then its definitely not in customs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is it alcohol or tobacco?
    He said its a synthesizer.

There are ways to send alcohol through the post nowadays. Lads in the beer forum were discussing a few shops. There is a way the shop can pay the applicable duties and/or VAT in advance. Others just send it and take the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I live in Germany.

Do you know Aongus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Hi All,

I recently made a purchase on line and the guy told me he was going to ship the product, from Germany on May 22nd last. I have yet to receive it. Should I be worried?
    It may have been sent by standard mail. Does anybody know how long I should expect to wait??
    They lost the war, they probably lost your package too. Fool me once, etc.

Hi All,

So the product finally arrived yesterday morning. 17 days in the post. He tells me shipping and insurance cost 17 euro with dhl??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

folamh wrote: »
    They lost the war, they probably lost your package too. Fool me once, etc.

Nah .. when I got stuff shipped to Ireland the only problem was the local carrier (e.g. An Post)

Usually you'd answer the front door and catch the postman after sticking a "sorry you weren't in" note in the door while he's running off.

When you ask him where the package is he owns up to not bringing it at all since it was too big for his bicycle.

The German postal system is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

So the product finally arrived yesterday morning. 17 days in the post. He tells me shipping and insurance cost 17 euro with dhl??

17 sounds cheap to me, I paid 15 to send a laptop from Galway to Cork with AnPost

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

I had a large package sent from Hong Kong before and it arrived in 42 hours.
    I've had stuff sent from Ballymount business park to Blanchardstown take 8 days.

It all depends on how lazy each person in the delivery chain is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 BattleReady

Yep, that's the trouble with the local postal service, all depends how efficient/lazy the guys on the last leg of the journey are. I've got stuff from China on eBay faster than 17 days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 BattleReady

Just noticed it was with DHL, that's very slow, usually about 3 or 4 days with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Hi its a small synthesizer.....it cost me 500 bucks. He said he got a tracking number, but he didn't include it in any contact I had with him. And now he's on his holidays :-(

You can stand up straight now and pull your pants up. You've been had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres a bit of a strike going on with DHL at the moment and theres been strikes over the past weeks, so its possible the package hasnt gotten very far.

if you go for the cheap parcel option then the transport is by land so will take a bit at the best of times, but the strike probably isnt helping.

Advertisement