Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 2 - Higher Level - The Aftermath***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JungleJuice

Kat97 wrote: »
    Im worried too. I talked about how characterisation was common across all three texts and then said how symbolism/the ending/tension and suspense/setting showed it.

Have no idea if that was right or not :(

I would say that is right it's what I would have done if I read the question properly the firsts time , but i didn't realise until the last 5 mins and took it as we had to talk about all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

I discussed Elizabethan values of Racism/Religious Prejudice, women being viewed as possessions and open trust and how each of these values had an impact on the outcome of the play.

That's what I did, I wrote about how racism led to Othello's insecurity and about how cultural attitudes towards women led to Desdemona and Emilia's submissiveness which led to the whole Cassio and handkerchief thing. I wrote 3 pages, not bad considering I made it all up!

Otherwise, the Ní Chuilleanáin q was lovely, would have preferred to do Montague but I hadn't studied the right poems for it. I did 5 techniques for Literary Genre, probably messed that one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

YESSSSS FROST AND THEME OF IDENTY

That's what I did, I wrote about how racism led to Othello's insecurity and about how cultural attitudes towards women led to Desdemona and Emilia's submissiveness which led to the whole Cassio and handkerchief thing. I wrote 3 pages, not bad considering I made it all up!

Otherwise, the Ní Chuilleanáin q was lovely, would have preferred to do Montague but I hadn't studied the right poems for it. I did 5 techniques for Literary Genre, probably messed that one up!

Same did you link your 5 techniques or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Learned four poets and none came up. Rambled an a4 page and a half on ENC. Devastated is not the word, probably wont get my course now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Absolutely elated. Des and Emilia question couldn't be better! Very doable, very easy to write about. Not very good at comparative, did the split theme question wanted to do literary genre but it was totally ridiculous! Extremely vague! Poetry was fantastic and predictable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Wait was it othello the play or character

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Paper 2 is up on examinations.ie if anyone wants to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Does anyone know how much 50 marks is as a percentage? I didn't do the single text at all (ran out of time) so I'm guessing my grade overall has dropped significantly. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

Same did you link your 5 techniques or not ?

Nope, talked about them all separately - setting, timeline, characterisation, tension and reversal of fortune. Tension and characterisation did of course end up in a few others but that was pure accident! Probably should have done theme and issue but my essay on that in the mocks didn't go over so well so I was reluctant to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

How did you find Hardy? Did you cover any comforting poems or did you disagree? Was happy about the bleak imagery, but then to say it overshadowed the comforting reflections? I had to disagree with half of it and sort of said that the bleak imagery emphasised the pessimism in Hardy's poetry.

Yeah not too many of his poems I studied had both bleak imagery and comforting reflections. I said fully bleak for Drummer Hodge anti war and all that. I said the humour in Channel Firing provides some comfort but mans need to make "red war redder" overpowered it with bleakness. I said reader can make their own choice in darkling thrush, follow the birds comfort or Hardys bleak pessimism. Through Wind and rain had comforting reflection on his wifes life but was overshadowed by the bleak imagery of "their carved names the raindrop ploughs". And then I said how in contrast Under the waterfall was the only non-bleak poem. Then I mentioned when I set out for lyonesse in the closing paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Dianabluex wrote: »

play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Cheerios wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much 50 marks is as a percentage? I didn't do the single text at all (ran out of time) so I'm guessing my grade overall has dropped significantly. :/

12.5% I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Dianabluex wrote: »

I'm 99% sure it was the play. The word "Othello" was written in italics. If it was Othello the character, then Desdemona and Emilia in the first question would have been written in italics too.
    Magnate wrote: »
    12.5% I'm afraid.

Ah, blubber. The exact same thing happened in the JC too, haha. I'm so slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

eoin12345 wrote: »
    I took values to mean values of characters and talked about deciet jealousy and greed... It was very misleading though, I first thought it was about Othello's values.

I did this too. I took it to mean personal values as opposed to racism and misogyny etc. I talked about the opposing Christian values vs Iago's devotion to an amoral/ immoral god/ Janus and the evil values that produced. I don't really see how it could be wrong to interpret it as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

For the Hardy question i interpreted it wrong I think i disagreed with the statement and said his bleakness contributes to my overall reflection. Does that make sense? I said when i set out for lyonnesse defies the statement as its a magical delightful poem, i think i interpreted the question completely wrong, i thought they were criticising his bleakness

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

I could've done the Emilia/Desdemona one but I really didn't have enough quotes, so I took the values one. Talked about how Iago manipulated the value of honour and the value of the role of women in society to create the value of the racial stereotype of an animalistic Moor. Think it went alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shanmcg97

What did people write for Emilia and Des question?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Cheerios wrote: »

25%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

25%

Yes in paper 2 but 12.5% overall

• Advertisement

25%

Out of the 2 papers it is 15%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

25%

25% of paper 2, 12.5% overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Shanmcg97 wrote: »

Wrote a paragraph each on each about why I thought they were not weak, then wrote a paragraph saying how they were innocent and were unlucky to fall under the influence of Iago, then wrote a paragraph saying that since they were completely innocent and strong characters, I felt sympathy towards them as they didn't deserve to die etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Chef Tony wrote: »
    Yeah not too many of his poems I studied had both bleak imagery and comforting reflections. I said fully bleak for Drummer Hodge anti war and all that. I said the humour in Channel Firing provides some comfort but mans need to make "red war redder" overpowered it with bleakness. I said reader can make their own choice in darkling thrush, follow the birds comfort or Hardys bleak pessimism. Through Wind and rain had comforting reflection on his wifes life but was overshadowed by the bleak imagery of "their carved names the raindrop ploughs". And then I said how in contrast Under the waterfall was the only non-bleak poem. Then I mentioned when I set out for lyonesse in the closing paragraph

Yeah I was considering Drummer Hodge since it was comforting for his burial to be remembered, however I stuck to my best ones.

I did for Wind and Rain:
    -comfort of family through serene imagery
    -Then contrast of last few lines of each stanza
    -Then described the change in seasons, and commented on the very last line for a load.

Covergance of the Twain:
    -At a time for when it should be comforting, he mocks humanity's vanity
    -Imagery of mirrors, sea worm crawls

Channel Firing:
    -Disruption of the dead, unsettling
    -Then the prist suggesting religion gas failed

Something like that. I'd imagine I'd get penalised for not sticking to the question when, at time, it was impossible to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Can anyone please reply, i talked about imagery, symbolism, narrative type, dialogue and chronological/flashback in literary genre 2a i think im ****ed becaue it only asked one literary technique and i cant imagine how you can write just ONE TECHNIQUE FOR 70 MARKS?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

Quick character summary of desdemona and noted the change in character from when she goes off with othello ( becomes passive ) etc and then talked about how Emilia changes to become strong willed and how we kind of feel sympathy at the end,

Then talked about how females were treated in Shakespeare times and Venetian society

Then talked about the ending and overall outcomes of their personalities and rounded it up , hope I did alright tbh I hadn't prepared it much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Frost question was lovely as was the women question. Bottled my comparative I'd say, no idea what the theme or issue one was about and found it very hard to actually answer.

I agreed with the statement. Said they both had redeeming qualities but Desdemona's refusal to admit Othello's change and Emilia stealing the handkerchief led to us not being that shocked by the ending and we had no sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Out of the 2 papers it is 15%

50/400 is 1/8 which is 12.5%, not 15%

Thank the lord Frost came up, and it was a nice question too...

NEVER HAVE TO DO ENGLISH AGAIN!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

fin709 wrote: »
    For the Hardy question i interpreted it wrong I think i disagreed with the statement and said his bleakness contributes to my overall reflection. Does that make sense? I said when i set out for lyonnesse defies the statement as its a magical delightful poem, i think i interpreted the question completely wrong, i thought they were criticising his bleakness

You did interpret it wrong. However you interpreted it the opposite of what it is. It said it was comforting and you said bleak, so I'd say you didn't lose much on purpose as it still would be relevant. Just you at the start you would be saying you disagreed when you agreed, I'd say you're fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Emilia and Desdemonaare dependable friends
    Emilia and Desdemona are courageous
    Emilia - wordly/ intelligent
    Desdemona - unconditional love
    Then as a weakness - both naive
    And ofcourse referring to being sympathetic etc..

Advertisement