Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 2 - Higher Level - The Aftermath***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Just curious-to ask typical C students (ie you generally get 55-60 there or there abouts-how much you wrote for each part?

I usually get C3-C1's and I wrote -->

3 1/2 for Othello
    4 for comparative
    4 for prescribed poetry
    1 for unseen poetry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Comparative is 17.5%, still possible to get a B1.. though as long as you did something for it, you should get atleast 40% in it. Don't worry about it man, probably wasn't as bad.

I'd say I lost about 15% of the 17.5% of that, and my unseen was a disaster. Not sure about the other two questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 andreideeu

anyone want to give me an honest grade ?

Single text : the Great Gatsby - 2pages (got stuck)
    Comparative: The road+othello+bladerunner - 4pages
    Unseen poem: 2pages
    Poetry: John Montague - 5pages

i have medium sized writing , not too big not too small.

anyone have a guess what my grade could be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kat101

Wrote about the character of othello. Wrote about his downfall and how Iago corrupted his mind completely messed up the question thought I did well. Unfortunately misunderstood the question 😞
    For comparative I did the first litary genre question compared about 5 techniques....
    Only wrote about two poems in detail for Montague the rest were only mentioned.
    Still hoping for a C1 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Kat97 wrote: »
    I usually get C3-C1's and I wrote -->

3 1/2 for Othello
    4 for comparative
    4 for prescribed poetry
    1 for unseen poetry

Well, crap....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

andreideeu wrote: »

Tis all about the quality of your answers, really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

andreideeu wrote: »

Your grade won't be calculated based on the number of pages you wrote, you'll be graded on what you wrote. There are people here who will probably get the same grade as you but wrote a lot more or fewer pages than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

anybody do the great gatbsy i though the question on corruption on idealism was tricky managed to squeeze 2 and a half pages out of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Well, crap....

Ah no don't worry a lot of it was waffle and my hand writing is quite big! I rambled my way through the Othello question because I had very little prepared on the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bartekm1996

anybody do the great gatbsy i though the question on corruption on idealism was tricky managed to squeeze 2 and a half pages out of it :(

Well it depends how you explained corruption - corruption can be under the topics of love and wealth. And idealism depends on your understanding of the novel you could go on about corruption and idealism almost being synonyms in the great gatsby as most aspects of Gatsby were idealistic but corrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Tara97

The question on otellos "values" was very misleading, it was very unclear whether we were asked to write about othello (the character) or othello (the play), and the term values was very vague, it is not a term I've ever heard while studying for othello so I assumed it was about othello the person because it was not specified that we were to write About the play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Dont get bogged down on length to much. 2 pages of quality material is better than 4 pages of waffle. That being said its hard to get a 60% plus grade unless you are hitting about 4 pages per question (for 50 plus marks) but again its not impossible if material is quality-well thought out and supported

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

A lot of people in my school did the values in Othello question, but did Othello the person not the play unfortunately....
    Half of my school did that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Frost was 2 pages of pure waffle
    Comparative(T&I) was 4 pages of slight waffle
    Othello (values) was 3 pages of actually halfway decent material
    Didn't even attempt the unseen poetry.

Good thing I only need a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Learned four poets and none came up. Rambled an a4 page and a half on ENC. Devastated is not the word, probably wont get my course now

I'm sure you'll do fine. What poets did you learn? Why didn't you do 5 to cover yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fionndermot

I took the "Values" question into a character question area. As in what values each of the characters have to contribute towards the final climatic moment. IE Iago provides the manipulation whereas Desdemona introduces blind trust and loyalty.
    Hopefully purpose is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michele101

Didn't get it finished. Wrote about half an a4 on Frost. About three quotes in my comparative question. Seeing what you all wrote for the Othello question, I now realise I definitely messed it up. Fml. Definitely going to be repeating now, especially after messing up in the home ec paper too 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

Hey guys, I go the institute, my teachers an examiner, he says its in no way about the length, that he's given an A1 in the LC to a 3 page poetry essay that only looked at two poems. He says its all about the quality, and examiners want a proper answer rather than waffle! So really don't worry if you think you didn't write enough, its all about what you wrote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

I started crying when i opened the paper, i never felt a feeling like it in my entire life

Everything else went beautiful and went perfect just so gutted , need at least a C1 or i can kiss my course good day

Cheer up! At least you wrote something!

A friend of a friend did her LC a few years back. Like you, none of the poets she studied came up and instead of attempting it she completely skipped the seen poetry. You know what she got in the end? A B (It was a B1 or B2, can't remember)! The fact that you actually attempted the seen poetry and the fact that you feel confident in the rest of your answers leads me to believe that you'll get a grade above C1 no bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

Wonder how many marks I'm going to lose for constantly calling one of the main characters 'Filippe' instead of 'Filippo' in my comparative..?

• Advertisement

Jamies15 wrote: »
    Wonder how many marks I'm going to lose for constantly calling one of the main characters 'Filippe' instead of 'Filippo' in my comparative..?

I don't think they'll mind too much, plus there's a chance they haven't seen that film.

I wish I never saw that film.

It was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Trekker47

The_Mac wrote: »
    I don't think they'll mind too much, plus there's a chance they haven't seen that film.

I wish I never saw that film.

It was awful.

Reasonably sure the examiners have to be familiar with all the texts they're marking. Still doubt he'll lose much, and yeah that was an awful film, glad we don't have to think about it any more :P

Trekker47 wrote: »
    Reasonably sure the examiners have to be familiar with all the texts they're marking. Still doubt he'll lose much, and yeah that was an awful film, glad we don't have to think about it any more :P

One of the worst deus ex machina's I've ever seen.

Oh, you're about to get shot? Hooray, it's brief plot element that was seen for a few seconds 45 minutes ago, coming in to save the day! Also the fact that a ten year old got shot point blank with a shotgun and is living.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

I thought poetry was great, nice choice of questions and the Frost question I did was really straightforward. Same with the unseen.

Comparative could have gone better, I don't like theme/issue but I kind of had to do it because of that awful LG question (honestly what were they thinking with one technique). Got through it in the end though, think I did decently.

Othello wasn't great. The women question would have been all right if I had revised it, but I thought I would just have ended up on the fence without a solid conclusion so I did the other one. Talked about how jealousy and racism were catalysts to the plot and ended up affecting the outcome. I hope they allow for a broad interpretation of values :x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MylesVII

So glad it wasn't just me. Wrote 7 pages in the comparative only to realise they asked for 1 technique of Literary Genre, when I wrote 5. So annoyed, because that could be my A gone! I know a lot of students made that mistake so they will have to take it into account but obviously they will give higher marks to those that did 7 pages on one technique :(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Cheerios wrote: »
    Cheer up! At least you wrote something!

A friend of a friend did her LC a few years back. Like you, none of the poets she studied came up and instead of attempting it she completely skipped the seen poetry. You know what she got in the end? A B (It was a B1 or B2, can't remember)! The fact that you actually attempted the seen poetry and the fact that you feel confident in the rest of your answers leads me to believe that you'll get a grade above C1 no bother!

you've actually made me feel a lot better about my paper now. I hope you are right, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tractorman321

Is there one of these for Irish yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sheep1996

for my othello i unfortunately wrote about othello but wrote alot about the other characters because of othellos value of love towards people i also wrote about his value in trust toward iago and desdemona! kinda worried about that!
    my comparative (literary genre) it was kinda messy i wrote about alot of techniques used but linked them saying how they contributed to the build up of tension i dunno if thats write
    poetry was okay i did ni chuilleanain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I realised that I misinterpreted the Desdemona and Emilia question. By weak characters, I thought it meant they were poorly developed. Thought it made sense, as it is hard to have sympathy for poorly developed characters.

Still say I did alright, as I demonstrated how Emilia was under control by Iago and commented on feeling sympathetic towards then as well. Probably lost two percent for the misinterpretation, maybe less.

Advertisement