Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI were paid after Thierry Henry handball, says John Delaney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I thought we knew this already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hardly new info tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

What does Delaney have to do to get the door ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Meanwhile FAI officials head a fifa company as directors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I'd be asking where the money went

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

major bill wrote: »

Aviva loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

major bill wrote: »

Aviva by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

What are the likely implications for the FAI wi this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,857 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How does it not show up in their accounts as a payment? Assuming it didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

'Delaney was quick to deny that he had ever been offered a bribe: “No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Not on my salary,” '

What does that mean? He's on so much he can't be bribed ?!? :confused: :pac:

Also reminds me of the Vicar of Dibley character. No, no, no, no, no, no, no - Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Getting brave now the old man is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jaysus, that's a handy way to make some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

La_Gordy wrote: »
    What are the likely implications for the FAI wi this?
    None.

Got money out of nothing really.

Even if there was somethign wrong with it, Delaney has long gotten rid of anybody in the FAI who would raise a fuss about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

If this was an out of court settlement on a legal case then theoretically they may not have had to pay tax on it - I know for personal legal cases that's the way it works; I think...:p

Anyway's, can't imagine the FAI pocketed the cash and it would show on their accounts as a payment in, and like has been said was then used to pay down loans outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

How much of it went in his back pocket I wonder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭I am the Res

alphasully wrote: »
    How much of it went in his back pocket I wonder

Thinking the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What does Delaney have to do to get the door ?

Shoot the Pope, join Daesh, ride a goat, marry a horse, flash Merkel and headbutt Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Mods don't own forums. The posters are what make the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

He spent the money on cans for the lads in Poznan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Was all over Sky News few mins ago.

Could this be classed as a bribe or pay off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

quelle surprise !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Out of court settlement?

Out of court settlement?

Well yeah, "if your drop this and let it all go away, we will give you X amount"

Sounds like a pay off to me

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Out of court settlement?

That's assuming FIFA thought they may have a case to answer in court. Let me assure you the FAI were going to be laughed out of court. Remember thinking at the time how absurd the whole thing was. The handball was a sickener to be sure but to be threatening legal action is like something Willie Frazier would come out with.

Of course if it was an out of court settlement there will be lots of legal documents to back this up forthcoming from the FAI :)

_Puma_ wrote: »
    That's assuming FIFA thought they may have a case to answer in court

Not necessarily. Out of court settlements are made for a range of reasons, not just because the risk of losing a case is high. It can be about PR as much as anything else, or perhaps FIFA just weren't interested in investing money and time by going to court over it.

Its now been termed a 'loan'

Not necessarily. Out of court settlements are made for a range of reasons, not just because the risk of losing a case is high. It can be about PR as much as anything else, or perhaps FIFA just weren't interested in investing money and time by going to court over it.

Perhaps and I understand what you mean and how it would be used in cases where the allegations were of a sensitive nature, but this was a very public issue at the time and ya had Blatter Laughing at Delaney when he proposed Ireland be the 33rd team(I still cringe when I think about that!)

Delaney came out saying he thought they had a case if it went ahead. Id say it was far more likely to be thrown out by the Court of Arbitration for Sport before FIFA had to even make a submission :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Calvin and Hobbes

John Delaney is the most cringe worthy man alive. When people look at lads like Jack Warner and laugh at how they can still be supported in their own countries, remember we have John Delaney. He is just as ludicrous.

The man gets paid double the wages of people in the same position in bigger associations and has overseen a mighty dysfunctional league and a youth system the whores any prospects to England. We have an average international transfer age of a third world country with no infrastructure because we are the only european country without infrastructure too. There are no possible excuses for this.

Does anybody believe he said these things to Blatter?? Plus last week he suggested it was he who whispered into Platinis to expand the euros. He f**k off mentioning his girlfriend too. Nobody cares, you are a sport administrator, not a celebrity.

Simply he is a politician, who fails to make any tough decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

Its now been termed a 'loan'

Surprised he hasn't called it a 'development' grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Can the FAI'S accounts can be checked by an independant person to see if there is fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

C'mon now lads. They have the good of the game at heart. :rolleyes:

Simply he is a politician, who fails to make any tough decisions.

At least Denis O'Brien loves him

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/09/05/john-delaney-could-run-anything/

That's a ringing endorsement if ever there was one /s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mikeym wrote: »
    Can the FAI'S accounts can be checked by an independant person to see if there is fraud?

Independently audited by PWC as far as I remember.

Me thinks John Delaney dosen't see the ,FBI shaped FIFA investigation, freight train heading his way. Oblivious to the implications if they start digging into FIFA's records over this! You would hope they wont just stop at the awarding of the world cup bribes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Attention seeking is the correct term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This is gonna grow legs

.......and it didn't show up on the FAI accounts. ...

So which account was the money just resting in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Just resting in my account, a high yield savings account, until I moved it on... etc, etc. :/

Delaney OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

.......and it didn't show up on the FAI accounts. ...

So which account was the money just resting in?

Yeah I had a look at the YE 2010 accounts. It has not been accounted for as a loan or as any other creditor/deferred income.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The FAI got 5 million quid for nothing. They had no case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

awec wrote: »
    The FAI got 5 million quid for nothing. They had no case at all.

Why the need to keep hush hush if there was no wrong doing?.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

when they release this you just know there is something bigger being hidden

FBI jackets and balaclavas

tick tock tick tock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yeah I had a look at the YE 2010 accounts. It has not been accounted for as a loan or as any other creditor/deferred income.

The FAI have said they didn't consider it a loan so they're hardly going to account for it as one.

Fifa are saying it was a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

JD buys cans for fans, wears a green tie and stewards the domestic league fantastically while being a top Waterford manc.

Give the guy a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Why the need to keep hush hush if there was no wrong doing?.
    Becasue FIFA asked them to keep quiet about it. Cash for incorrect refereeing decisions is setting a costly precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The whole debacle of the Henry handball is one of the most embarrassing episodes ever for this country. The antics of Delaney made me ashamed to be Irish. It is now made even worse by the fact that FAI were 'paid off' by FIFA to keep them from whinging.
    There was never any possibility of a court case. If that were the case, every other match would end up in court over some referring decision.
    Delaney is a national embarrassment, and a vastly overpaid one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The whole debacle of the Henry handball is one of the most embarrassing episodes ever for this country. The antics of Delaney made me ashamed to be Irish. It is now made even worse by the fact that FAI were 'paid off' by FIFA to keep them from whinging.
    There was never any possibility of a court case. If that were the case, every other match would end up in court over some referring decision.
    Delaney is a national embarrassment, and a vastly overpaid one at that.

I think you may be taking tabloid fodder a bit too seriously...it wasn't like the entire country demanded a replay or anything like that at the time. It was all a storm in a teacup..Delaney is embarrassing but he's par for the course, it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

people are forgetting what was really dodgy about those playoffs was the seeding being changed so that portugal and france did not play each other. that was done at the 11th hour under the shadiest possible circumstances.

that and the handball made irelands case for a replay, and was something that fifa was desperate to not have bought up and analysed in court as it opens the door to fifa having specific goals and objectives for specific teams.

the 'fair play to him' brigade on here and elsewhere make me sick. this is mickey mouse backward stuff that i come to expect from people in powerful places in this country. oh year and just to put everything in context delaney is on €410k a year. more than his spanish and italian counterparts combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So john delany is on €410k per year yet dennis obrien pays for the coach?

• Advertisement
Advertisement