Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI accepted 5 million over Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

greeno wrote: »

Delaney spent it all on pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Delaney spent it all on pints.

and then claimed it all back as expenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Or ties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Honestly, I'm one of the most negative people on here in relation to John Delaney, but fair play to him getting 5 million out of an absolutely nothing case. We had absolutely no legal standing if it had gone to court so he did well to get 5 million, which went into the FAI rather than his pocket.

There's nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

€5 million is an impressive mountain out of that hand ball molehill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I heard he had it changed in €5 notes and he sleeps on it every night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

€5 million is an impressive mountain out of that hand ball molehill!

Is agree wth that but the man is a snake! I'd say not a cent of it went on grassroots football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

The FAI threatened court action against FIFA (rightly or wrongly) and FIFA settled out of court.

So long as it's accounted for in the FAI accounts ... nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

greeno wrote: »
    I'd say not a cent of it went on grassroots football

I dunno Id say he has at the very least had his back garden relaid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well, its Delaney's salary funded for 10 years - during an epic recession that's a hell of a win for Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I wonder did it trickle down to grassroots level?

Given the number of clubs who have folded in that time I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If FIFA paid money then it follows that they accept an injustice was done, or at least that justice was not done.

What I want to know is would these legal proceedings have possibly resulted in the match having to be replayed? Did taking this settlement squander a possibility of Ireland appearing at the tournament?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

SantryRed wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm one of the most negative people on here in relation to John Delaney, but fair play to him getting 5 million out of an absolutely nothing case. We had absolutely no legal standing if it had gone to court so he did well to get 5 million, which went into the FAI rather than his pocket.

There's nothing to see here.

Disclosure has only come about with the fall of Splatter.

efb wrote: »

You have to wonder how much of that actually happened, and how much Delaney imagined himself saying or doing. The whole article reads like some fantasy told to the lads down at the bar. "I told him, so I did. His minders hauled him off or I wouldn't have been responsible for what happened next". Yeah, John, right. Dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I love the 'nothing to see here' comments. These type of payments are exactly why this FIFA corruption thing is going on, it mightn't fall into the 'paid money to actually host a tournament' category but it's still an outrageous transaction. We got €5 million because of a bad refereeing decision in which we would only be drawing the game, it didn't actually stop us qualifying. There's not a hope any legal action was going to be successful, it was simply a way that FIFA could beat their 'Fair Play' drum that they very much love. Anyway whatever happened with the €5 million it certainly didn't go into Irish football, not in anything below International level anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Have you ever seen a burd less happy to be on a mans arm!

She's the definition of a gold digger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sand wrote: »
    You have to wonder how much of that actually happened, and how much Delaney imagined himself saying or doing. The whole article reads like some fantasy told to the lads down at the bar. "I told him, so I did. His minders hauled him off or I wouldn't have been responsible for what happened next". Yeah, John, right. Dickhead.

Exactly what I was thinking he strikes me as a bit of a Walter Mitty

I try to give everyone a chance, but Delaney is a try-hard buffoon.

"Nobody talks to me like that". "Yeah, well I do". Jesus Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The Fai actually deserve credit for this one , to get money OFF Fifa in this fashion takes some going!

This is a nothing story in terms of bribery because Ireland don't exactly have a lot to offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If FIFA paid money then it follows that they accept an injustice was done, or at least that justice was not done.

What I want to know is would these legal proceedings have possibly resulted in the match having to be replayed? Did taking this settlement squander a possibility of Ireland appearing at the tournament?

FIFA and justice, that's er incongruous!

Keeping quiet or nuisance money, plus the FAI really really needed it given the state of the finances.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

RayCon wrote: »
    So long as it's accounted for in the FAI accounts ... nothing to see here.

If it was accounted for, why are we only finding out about it now? This is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Should have taken Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Sounds like JD is a man not to be messed with. Probably told Blatter to hand over a massive wad of cash or else!

If it was accounted for, why are we only finding out about it now? This is unbelievable.

I'm assuming it was accounted for ... otherwise Delaney just created a sh!tstorm for himself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fifa saying it was a loan to build the Avia. Similar loan was also given to the FAI by UEFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Getting 5 million for Damien Duff costing us a spot at the World Cup is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If this is being released they are hiding something bigger

Tip of the iceberg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bring back Monaghan United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Of all the things you could criticise Delaney over I don't think this is one

5 million when we hadn't got a leg to stand on otherwise, every club and their mother trying to go to court over supposed refereeing negligence or whatever the claim was would have been funny

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bring back Monaghan United!

An indoor 30,000 seater Carlisle Grounds is clearly the priority for any surplus FAI cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Getting 5 million after being screwed out if a possible WC is brilliant!

How it was spent is another question, but don't think getting the cash was a bad thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

that Delaney lad is one badass mother****er by the sounds of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Remember when Blatter said in public that Ireland asked to be the 33rd team and everyone laughed at Delaney ?.

Well in reality Blatter only made that up to save face, cos Delaney just stung him for $5m.

Its typical of the way FIFA and the FAs worked, pay offs for everything

• Advertisement

Of all the things you could criticise Delaney over I don't think this is one

5 million when we hadn't got a leg to stand on otherwise, every club and their mother trying to go to court over supposed refereeing negligence or whatever the claim was would have been funny

I'd take whatever opportunity is going to criticise Delaney tbh if there is the slightest chance it might result in him being dragged into the wider FIFA corruption investigation and forced to resign/flee to Russia.

The key thing about the 5 million is if FIFA and the FAIs story align. Like two stupid thieves, they're telling conflicting stories under questioning. FIFA claims it was a loan that was written off after Ireland failed to qualify for 2014. Delaney claimed it was a compensation payment for the Henry handball. If FIFA are right, did the FAI record it as a loan on their books? If Delaney is right, why are FIFA claiming it is a loan?

I don't get the "we did very well to get €5 mill" posts.

How do they value the matter?

We did well to take what is pittance to FIFA not to rock the boat? Jesus I'd say they laughed even harder at how obedient we were. And worse, to take the bone thrown at us and then agree to keep it quiet. It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

we got 5million because a ref f'd up? Would have been an utter embarrassment had we tried to bring them to court. Plenty of teams have missed out because of poor refs.

Scholes onside goal vs Porto disallowed.
    Drogba horribly offside goal allowed.
    United got some wins last season with some goals that were just about offisde.
    England and the hand of god goal from maradona.
    Lampards 'goal' vs Germany at the WC.
    Chelsea getting utterly screwed over by the ref vs Barcelona.

It happens, imagine if a court case did overturn the result of a game based on a ref not making a correct call - football would die a horrid death that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

This would never have been revealed only for a yank forgot or didn't bother to file his taxes
    And was keeping his cats in a special apartment

Which eventually led to the downfall of Sepp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I cannot understand all the "Fair play to him" comments. He's openly admitting our country's FA took a bribe to shut up.

And look at this!
    FIFA said the money was "a loan", which was intended to be paid back if Ireland qualified for World Cup 2014. The loan was subsequently written off.

Source: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0604/705872-delaney-confirm-fifa-payment-to-fai/

Our own FAI stood to make 5 million quid for themselves if we didn't qualify for the World Cup. Conflict of interest hello? They literally bet against the national team. We're fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Umaro wrote: »
    I cannot understand all the "Fair play to him" comments. He's openly admitting our country's FA took a bribe to shut up.

And look at this!

Our own FAI stood to make 5 million quid for themselves if we didn't qualify for the World Cup. Conflict of interest hello? They literally bet against the national team. We're fools.

think the minimum we'd have got for competing in the WC would have been 8million.

Umaro wrote: »

Actually when you put it like that ....

If it was all legit and above board how come it's only coming to light now?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The real question that should be asked of Delaney is what happened to this 5 million and is it accountable?

It is not a bribe in the FIFA-bribe-type. Those FIFA-bribes are made personally to individuals in brown paper bags for their personal use however they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'd be no fan of Delaney but I don't see why he is being criticised for this.

The FAI took the 5m as an out of court settlement, for a court case absolutely every poster on here knows was unwinnable. He gets criticised for 'embarrassing' us by pursuing the matter, then gets more criticism for getting compensated??

The guy essentially won a poker hand worth 5m while holding a 2 of spades and 3 of hearts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm shocked more people aren't angered by Delaney's attitude in this matter. He has admitted he accepted a bribe, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I'm a bit confused by this "breaking news". Did people miss it the first time it was reported or something?

"World Cup - FIFA 'bought Irish silence' with €5m pay-off for Henry handball"

13 July 2014

...the Irish Sun reports that Sepp Blatter's public sniggering at the suggestion first deepened the rift, and led to the compensation:

"Blatter handed Ireland a €5million windfall in a bid to heal the rift over the Thierry Henry ‘Hand of Frog’ scandal — and to get the FAI off his back," the paper reports.

"The money was initially provided as a loan before being converted into a grant.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-fifa-bought-irish-silence-5m-pay-080222869--sow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I don't get the "we did very well to get €5 mill" posts.

How do they value the matter?

We did well to take what is pittance to FIFA not to rock the boat? Jesus I'd say they laughed even harder at how obedient we were. And worse, to take the bone thrown at us and then agree to keep it quiet. It's embarrassing.

I think the point is we got the 5m because we rocked the boat not to stop us. We couldn't realistically have taken it any further so to get the 5m loan written off is a good result

Benimar wrote: »
    I'd be no fan of Delaney but I don't see why he is being criticised for this.

The FAI took the 5m as an out of court settlement, for a court case absolutely every poster on here knows was unwinnable. He gets criticised for 'embarrassing' us by pursuing the matter, then gets more criticism for getting compensated??

The guy essentially won a poker hand worth 5m while holding a 2 of spades and 3 of hearts!!

It's not the winning of the money that people are asking questions of.

It's the accountability of it once the FAI got it.

Fair question tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's not the winning of the money that people are asking questions of.

It's the accountability of it once the FAI got it.

Fair question tbh

That is a fair question and one I'd like the answer to. However, plenty of comments are moaning about taking the 5m, something I think was a great result for the FAI (assuming none got 'misappropriated')

• Advertisement
Advertisement