Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI accepted 5 million over Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Hmm this is quite curious....

Would love to know the legal grounds the FAI were threatening here to get a 'loan' of $5m? Zero precedent for this and as pointed out by a previous poster where would this leave all the other teams who lost out to dodgy decisions? Note I still believe if we had taken the chances we had Henry could have handled the ball as much as he wanted it would have made no difference. If the goal had been disallowed best we would had was a toss up on penos.

As to where all those $ ended up well I await the FAIs full disclosure and accounting on same. Oh yea right I forgot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

$5 million dolla no? Plus it's old news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Benimar wrote: »
    That is a fair question and one I'd like the answer to. However, plenty of comments are moaning about taking the 5m, something I think was a great result for the FAI (assuming none got 'misappropriated')

Jesus,you're joking.

You think 'Keep quiet and go away' money is good for sport.First of all it shows Blatter knew we had a good case and the decision was 100% wrong.Clearly Blatter felt it was easier to give us the 5 million than lose probably 10's of millions had France lost out with their population of 66 million,the TV rights and sponsorship would have been massive.

It would'nt surprise me if Blatter got the 5 million back from the French FA.

So option A was "33rd team in World Cup"

Option B was "we'll sue the arses off ye"

I guess Option C was "sing Danny Boy with a tremble in the voice and put a cap in front of us".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've no problem with this news to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Jesus,you're joking.

You think 'Keep quiet and go away' money is good for sport.First of all it shows Blatter knew we had a good case and the decision was 100% wrong.Clearly Blatter felt it was easier to give us the 5 million than lose probably 10's of millions had France lost out with their population of 66 million,the TV rights and sponsorship would have been massive.

It would'nt surprise me if Blatter got the 5 million back from the French FA.

Do you seriously think for one moment that Ireland was going to be parachuted in at the expense of France?? Does anybody??

Not a hope. The FAI got cash for giving up an unwinnable claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

"Hand of frog" That's genuinely the first time I've read that.
    Tasteless as ever from The Sun.

Do you seriously think for one moment that Ireland was going to be parachuted in at the expense of France?? Does anybody??

Not a hope. The FAI got cash for giving up an unwinnable claim.

Who knows what could of happened.Had we gone to CAS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_of_Arbitration_for_Sport

The point is we got money to keep quiet and go away and you dont see any wrong with that.

Who knows what could of happened.Had we gone to CAS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_of_Arbitration_for_Sport

The point is we got money to keep quiet and go away and you dont see any wrong with that.

We would have been laughed at (and Boards posters would have evicerated Delaney for taking the case) if the FAI went to CAS.

The reason I have no problem with it is simple. The case was unwinnable. The only outcomes were 5m or nothing. Not 5m or a WC finals place.

• Advertisement

The reason I have no problem with it is simple. The case was unwinnable. The only outcomes were 5m or nothing. Not 5m or a WC finals place.

I have to say I doubt there was ever a case. A Solicitor would have had to pick himself off the ground from laughing so much before writing the letter.

I'd say the case story is as real as Delaney's showdown with Sepp story. The fact is we got a pat on the head. I doubt it was FIFA folding under the pressure of legal threats. Maybe it was for all the laughs we gave them.

We would have been laughed at (and Boards posters would have evicerated Delaney for taking the case) if the FAI went to CAS.

But the whole integrity of sport is gone if sides are cheated out of it and paid off to go away.Just imagine the uproar tonight in England if it had been them who were paid off.Its all very shady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If it was all legit and above board how come it's only coming to light now?..

This has been out for years. Delaney was even asked about it about a month ago when there were ruminations about FIFA falling apart and he said it was confidential.

Nothing story. It was in the FAI accounts. Hardly a bung or a bribe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fair play for getting that money on a nothing case.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

But the whole integrity of sport is gone if sides are cheated out of it and paid off to go away.Just imagine the uproar tonight in England if it had been them who were paid off.Its all very shady.

FIFA could have just told us (or England) to fcuk off and there isn't a thing we could have done about it. Sides are cheated every day of the week by refereeing decisions and they have no comeback.

Getting 5m to be told to fcuk off is not a bad bit of business when there isn't any other option.

The integrity of the sport would only have been affected if there was any other option available. You can't seriously think CAS was a realistic option??

Or a made up story by Delaney, who has taken to puffing his chest now Blatter is gone.

Because it clearly was a nothing case. And FIFA are probably the people who would know that more than anyone.

They got money. But do we really think it was because of legal cases and Delaney throwing his weight?

• Advertisement

Yeah, remember the uproar when Maradonas goal was chalked off and England won the World Cup in 86. Or when Lampards goal against Germany in 2010 was ruled to be a goal and they went on to win 4-2 rather than losing.

We were unlucky, we kicked up a fuss and we got a "loan" out of it to placate us. The loan was then converted into a grant towards the Aviva. It's hardly a bribe, or a bung.

The 2 options available to the FAI was be knocked out and get nothing, but whinge about it constantly OR be knocked out and take a $5m loan as "compensation". They would have been stupid not to take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It was in the FAI accounts.

Were these accounts published at the time and are they publicly available now?

In all the times I've been in the Aviva since 2010, I just never knew it had been partly paid for by Thierry Henry's handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

And yet he agreed to pay the money back if we qualified for WC 2014.

Even when the FAI are taking a bribe they make a bollix of it.

Were these accounts published at the time and are they publicly available now?

In all the times I've been in the Aviva since 2010, I just never knew it had been partly paid for by Thierry Henry's handball.

All of the FAI accounts are matters of public record as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As sickening as that game was from our point of view... There was never going to be a comeback either legally or otherwise, the only outside chance would be if France had offered to reply the game which lets face it also wasn't going to happen. FIFA as much as the FAI would have been aware of this. At the time the FAI were probably just expressing their disappointment and that of the Irish football supporter by commenting publicly.

While the payment from FIFA was legal it seems I don't believe it is all that ethical in the grand scheme of things and is probably indicative in a small way as to how FIFA got things done or made things and problems go away.

I'd believe also that nonsense about the expletive rant by Delaney as much as I'd believe the moon is made of cheese also btw.

• Advertisement

And all this gets ironed out today.Amazing.

Dont forget the 750k dollars we got from FIFA last year.If Delaney done the honourable thing and at least upped the winnings for the league.

http://www.98fm.com/More-FIFA-Cash-For-The-FAI

Dont forget he let Monaghan go to the wall in 2012 for 80k,if I remember correctly.

Aah but shur,no big deal.

All of the FAI accounts are matters of public record as far as I know.

No mention of accounts on the website anyway.

They have now issued a statement re FIFA's response -

http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-on-%E2%82%AC5m-settlement-agreement-with-fifa

but pointedly no mention of having to pay back the 5m if we qualified for WC 2014.

Did Trappattoni know about the price of success? Did the players know? Did Denis O'Brien know? It just beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The Fai actually deserve credit for this one , to get money OFF Fifa in this fashion takes some going!

This is a nothing story in terms of bribery because Ireland don't exactly have a lot to offer

Why did FIFA give the FAI 5 million quid, there was no chance of a successful legal action? The Ref and other officials didn't see Henry cheating.

Was/is it the case that there's so much money sloshing around at top FIFA level that they could afford to head off any grievance at the pass with an exorbitant pay off? The FAI should've got more if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not sure why people are getting so upset about. FIFA was stupid enough to offer fai €5million to not make a big deal about the handball incident and the fai took it as an advancement for qualifying for 2012.

The fault was FIFAs for offering the money. Fai stood to lose nothing because even if they qualified for the World Cup, they would of just used the funds earned from that to pay back FIFA (assuming FIFA ever had any intention of looking for it).

I don't really see how anybody can view Delaney as anything other then a genius for convincing FIFA to run with this deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Trampas

Delaney wants to come across as the man who took down blatter. Nothing more nothing less

Drumpot wrote: »
    Not sure why people are getting so upset about. FIFA was stupid enough to offer fai €5million to not make a big deal about the handball incident and the fai took it as an advancement for qualifying for 2012.

The fault was FIFAs for offering the money. Fai stood to lose nothing because even if they qualified for the World Cup, they would of just used the funds earned from that to pay back FIFA (assuming FIFA ever had any intention of looking for it).

I don't really see how anybody can view Delaney as anything other then a genius for convincing FIFA to run with this deal!

Why did Delaney bring it up today?.Has he something to worry about?.Why did the FAI need Denis O'Briens money to pay for Trap?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I have to say I doubt there was ever a case. A Solicitor would have had to pick himself off the ground from laughing so much before writing the letter.

I'd say the case story is as real as Delaney's showdown with Sepp story. The fact is we got a pat on the head. I doubt it was FIFA folding under the pressure of legal threats. Maybe it was for all the laughs we gave them.

They gave the FAI 5 million quid for a laugh?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Fai stood to lose nothing because even if they qualified for the World Cup, they would of just used the funds earned from that to pay back FIFA

There would be no need to pay back anything if they had such a 'strong legal case'.

Meanwhile, predictably, no sign of it in the accounts:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/fai-s-5m-fifa-payment-not-apparent-in-published-accounts-1.2238001

Big surprise that...

Have they any fiduciary duty to state what each incoming payment is?? Was a question asked at the AGM about the extra €5m?? If not, I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yeah, remember the uproar when Maradonas goal was chalked off and England won the World Cup in 86. Or when Lampards goal against Germany in 2010 was ruled to be a goal and they went on to win 4-2 rather than losing.

We were unlucky, we kicked up a fuss and we got a "loan" out of it to placate us. The loan was then converted into a grant towards the Aviva. It's hardly a bribe, or a bung.

The 2 options available to the FAI was be knocked out and get nothing, but whinge about it constantly OR be knocked out and take a $5m loan as "compensation". They would have been stupid not to take it.

Wrapping it up as a 'loan' towards the Aviva doesn't suddenly make it alright. The reason the FAI got the money was a sweetener not to take legal action, whatever false description they want to put on it means nothing. The reason the money was given is there for all to see. It was a bribe not to take legal action, somehow they have managed to take the air out of the seriousness of it. Of course the FAI would take it, but the whole process and result of it is as rotten as a lot of other corruption that people would be up in arms over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

maybe Delaney was threatening a case about how uefa changed the play-off rules late in the day in case France met Portugal, I always thought that was the outrageous part, I got over the handball in a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Does anyone think the €5mill was just written off against the debt of the Aviva build?

If so i think Delaney should be applauded for this.
    Fifa gave the FAI €5mill for something they had absolutley no right to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Do you remember the uproar over Sheffield United losing to Arsenal in the FA Cup in the 98-99 season? Kanu didn't return the ball to Sheffield United following an injury which led to Arsenal scoring a winning goal through Overmars. What happened next? Wenger offered a replay, which Sheffield United accepted.

Wenger called on the Ireland/France game to be replayed too saying it was the only fair option. I believe Lizarazu was another who condemned the manner in which France qualified at the time.

There was a clamour then for the game to be replayed and it appears FIFA, obviously sensing this could be an issue that could hang over the preparations for the tournament like a dark cloud, decided to make the cloud go away by blowing a wad of cash the FAI's way.

Where did this money go?

I'm disappointed to see so many people on this thread defending the actions that went on here which has the familiar stench of FIFA malpractice.

As others have said, if there was nothing wrong then why are we only hearing about this now? Oh that's right, Delaney was sworn to secrecy. How convenient. Otherwise he would have gladly informed the many disappointed fans in this country that Ireland's grievance had been bought off and they needn't worry any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Why did Delaney bring it up today?.Has he something to worry about?.Why did the FAI need Denis O'Briens money to pay for Trap?.
    Well if this money was pocket by officials and not added to the FAI coppers then it is a whole different kettle of fish. And of course that needs to be looked at, and it will be now I am sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Surprised the focus is on why we got the money. The focus here is where the money went. 5 million worth of income or loan money will appear and make a dent in the financial statements. Follow the money. Sepp is f**ked. Are we going to see Delaney caught in the fall-out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I can't understand the fair play to him posts. If it was Wales or Iceland or Poland/Scotland or anyone of similar size and competitiveness, I'd be furious if my competitor got any money for a refereeing decision. It is ridiculous. From an Irish football perspective, where did that money go?

Also, fair play to Ireland for playing FIFA at its game and getting what it wanted, but boo to Russia and Qatar for playing it too? Really?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They gave the FAI 5 million quid for a laugh?

No, but it would be as valid as this "they feared our legal challenge would take down the World Cup so they gave us a few crumbs from their table" nonsense.

I think it was evidently a "sorry, no hard feelings, this should smooth things over" advance.

• Advertisement

Delaney and the legal threat.

Delaney takes on Blatter.

Delaney defends his woman.

Clearly Delaney has gone off on a Delaney binge again. Why bother quietly doing your job when you can talk about yourself? I hope Barry Egan gets him a photoshoot for the Sindo.

I really wish he'd fxxx off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have they any fiduciary duty to state what each incoming payment is?? Was a question asked at the AGM about the extra €5m?? If not, I don't see the problem.

It will be interesting to see a journalist follow the series of events, including any statements from Delaney when he and the FAI got questioned on the poor state of their finances a few years ago, as well as when the debt was renegotiated.

The FAI had serious money problems at the time so it could be seen as FIFA giving them hush money and the FAI not looking a gift horse in the mouth!

As long as the FAI were upfront about it in the accounts there shouldn't be a major problem.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There would be no need to pay back anything if they had such a 'strong legal case'.

Meanwhile, predictably, no sign of it in the accounts:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/fai-s-5m-fifa-payment-not-apparent-in-published-accounts-1.2238001

A legal settlement wouldn't be operating income, it would usually be a one off thing and would likely be mentioned as such in a financial report. In other words lets see if Delaneys version of events is backed up in the statutory accounts filed!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I think you should read up on how these AGM's operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I can't stand Delaney but Jesus Christ this really is a media created sh!tstorm.

This has been known about for a year and was widely reported in 2014. The media are blowing it up now because of the circus around FIFA and, incredibly, we have clowns making out like it's new news.

The insinuations that Delaney misappropriated the funds are also laughable. The man is a c**t but he isn't that stupid. He's said the $5 million was properly accounted for - you can bet your life it is.

"I'd bet it hasn't gone into the grassroots of football" - I'd like to know how anyone can say that for sure.

"Why didn't he save so and so from the LOI" - yeah that's really helping grassroots football. Bail out a club who has no idea how to live within their means. Much better than investing in youth football.

I believe Delaney was well intentioned here. He got a good chunk of money for nothing for his organisation. However, the optics of the situation don't look good and it's a bit rich to have a pop at FIFA for being corrupt when you've gone and exploited that culture yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think the Fai got a great deal, there was no way the fai would of won in court as bad decisions happens everyday in sport.

• Advertisement

I think people saying "The FAI had no chance in court" are really stating the blindingly obvious and probably missing the point.

FIFA wouldn't want that kind of publicity nor would they want even a percentge point of doubt over who will be participating in the competition.

Besides, FIFA gained a fortune by France qualfiying instead of Ireland so they probably took that into account too.

Alot of hate for Delaney, but this was a loan/grant from FIFA to the FAI, not the other way around and by organisations not by any individuals.

If the threat of legal action led to a de facto settlement then fantastic for us.

What it was used for is the question not how it came about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Would have been ever better if we had qualified.

What it was used for is the question not how it came about

Thought for the stadium had been mentioned already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Crazy to compensate the FAI, football, despite claiming to be the beautiful game, is riddled with cheating and deception and it is simply not possible for a referee to get every call correct, you just have to hope they get the big calls right and take it on the chin when that doesn't happen. This payment almost dignifies and validates the embarrassing over-reaction from many in this country at the time.

That handball didn't cost us qualification; at best it cost us a penalty shoot out. We were all over France in the first 90 but only scored once, we were knackered for extra time and France were turning the screw. Their goal shouldn't have been a goal, but it happens. You pick the ball out of the net, take your kick off and set about putting it right on the pitch. We had 17 minutes left to get one goal that would have put us through but we weren't good enough to do so.

That was worth €5,000,000? I wonder did Ghana get compensation for Luis Suarez's handball which happened so late in the game that it prevented what would have at that stage been a certain victory resulting in a place in the world cup semi final? Sure if we got 5 then surely Ghana should have got at least 15 million? It's all nonsense.

Despite all that though, well done to the FAI..... To get 5 million when you had nothing coming to you is an achievement in itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement