Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI accepted 5 million over Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That handball didn't cost us qualification; at best it cost us a penalty shoot out. We were all over France in the first 90 but only scored once, we were knackered for extra time and France were turning the screw.

So it cost us a chance of qualification.

Not sure that changes any (admittedly poor) legal challenge's main argument.

Don't remember France turning the screw either tbh.

That was worth €5,000,000? I wonder did Ghana get compensation for Luis Suarez's handball which happened so late in the game that it prevented what would have at that stage been a certain victory resulting in a place in the world cup semi final? Sure if we got 5 then surely Ghana should have got at least 15 million? It's all nonsense.

The referee spotted the Suarez infringement and acted appropriately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How much went into expense accounts?

I think if a thorough investigation was launched into the 5 million it might not end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Why are people calling this a nothing case? This is FIFA, who wouldn't give you the steam off their pi_ss if they didn't have to. They handed that money over because they knew they had to. People are forgetting the mood at the time, it was a world wide story, it was heading for an unprecedented replay. It was blatant cheating that the world could see. We could well have got a replay aswell if the FAI hadn't sold us out and kept the pressure going. Look how **** France done in South Africa, we could have taken them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Some very gullible and naive people on this thread.'Ah we had'nt a hope and we got 5 million,brilliant'.Thats not the point.I for one,didnt hear about the money recieved last year.Why was it kept quiet from 2010 till 2014.Everything is supposed to be above board and transparent.

Delaney told D'arcy that that the money was for the FAI to say and do no more about the Henry goal.
    Then we are told it was a loan for the Aviva.Not good enough.

I saw a great comment somewhere last night by someone who said it would be no surprise if Blatter paid off the ref,linesmen and fourth officials in the France match if he wanted France going through at all costs and he then throws the FAI the money.

it was a world wide story, it was heading for an unprecedented replay. It was blatant cheating that the world could see. We could well have got a replay aswell if the FAI hadn't sold us out and kept the pressure going.

We were NEVER getting a replay.
    Some very gullible and naive people on this thread.'
    I saw a great comment somewhere last night by someone who said it would be no surprise if Blatter paid off the ref,linesmen and fourth officials in the France match if he wanted France going through at all costs and he then throws the FAI the money.

.....does not compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That was worth €5,000,000? I wonder did Ghana get compensation for Luis Suarez's handball which happened so late in the game that it prevented what would have at that stage been a certain victory resulting in a place in the world cup semi final? Sure if we got 5 then surely Ghana should have got at least 15 million? It's all nonsense.

The Ghana incident was picked up by officials, like the vast majority of things are.

the Henry incident was one of the biggest sporting stories across the world (not just Ireland) in late 2009. the publicity it brought to football was huge.

noodler wrote: »
    We were NEVER getting a replay.

So why did FIFA give us 5 million quid? For a laugh?

Thought for the stadium had been mentioned already.

Mentioned yes but do accounts show that's where the money went?

So why did FIFA give us 5 million quid? For a laugh?

To stop the bad publicity any possible legal action might have.

Are you serious? You think any court would have offered a replay?

Can you imagine the implications that would have for sport?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Mentioned yes but do accounts show that's where the money went?

I guess you'd be looking for a 5m reduction the stadium loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Why 5 million though? Why stop at 5 million? Should've took the 5 million and still went legal until more was offered.

Why would they care about the bad publicity? If Ireland did try to go legal with it everyone would know they were wasting their time and it would blow over fairly quick. It makes you think what Blatter et al have been up to, if they so flippantly threw 5 million at the FAI just to keep them quiet.

You laughed at the notion of the officials in the actual match being on a payroll to help the stronger nation through. I don't think you can rule anything out with Blatter and FIFA. If they want something to happen bad enough they have the money to try to make it happen and had no qualms about using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Does anybody know how we voted in the last Fifa election ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why 5 million though? Why stop at 5 million? Should've took the 5 million and still went legal until more was offered.

So what amount should the FAI have held out for??

ebbsy wrote: »

In the one least week they voted for Prince Ali

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think the problem that people have with this is that it's all fine. it was a decent payment by FIFA to Ireland and Delaney did well to get it.

Like basically they recognised that the result was unsporting and gave us the same payment the FA would have gotten for being in the group stages. Could this not have been just a gesture that maybe Irish football deserved something from an organisation that have a billion in the bank

Obviously everyone has to say it was perfectly sensible so all the other nations don't come running everytime something similar happens. And that's the key. FIFA can't announce that they're paying out on bad reffing decisions, the precedent would be awful.

So we get the story that FIFA did it to avoid court ... as if the Irish FA would EVER EVER EVER take such a rediculous case to court.

Delaney probably just said 'look, we're a tiny FA and we just got screwed out of a world cup that would have meant a lot of everyone in Ireland, not to mention the money'

Blatter: 'sorry about that, sure you can have the money, we have loads of it ... but don't tell anyone that we just gave it to you or they'll all be at it'

Benimar wrote: »

5 trillion dollars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

70 Squillion I reckon, though the 'if they got 70 squillion so easily then they should have demanded more' people would still have the same mantra.

70 Squillion I reckon, though the 'if they got 70 squillion so easily then they should have demanded more' people would still have the same mantra.

As long as there's a 5 in the figure.

Why would they care about the bad publicity? If Ireland did try to go legal with it everyone would know they were wasting their time and it would blow over fairly quick. It makes you think what Blatter et al have been up to, if they so flippantly threw 5 million at the FAI just to keep them quiet.

Eh, bad publicity has just forced many of the events we have seen over the last week or so.
    You laughed at the notion of the officials in the actual match being on a payroll to help the stronger nation through. I don't think you can rule anything out with Blatter and FIFA. If they want something to happen bad enough they have the money to try to make it happen and had no qualms about using it.

I rule it out in the case of that game.

I had no problem with the ref bar that incident. The idea that FIFA paid officials off in the off chance that an outrageous opportunity like the Henry handball would come about is silly.

• Advertisement

The Ray Darcy Show also seems to be exempt from confidentiality clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

In the one least week they voted for Prince Ali

Sorry , the one before that ?

Eh, bad publicity has just forced many of the events we have seen over the last week or so.

Eh, Blatter is gone for other reasons, not bad publicity, he's had bad publicity for years, never bothered him before. He's gone because he made too many enemies and he couldn't buy them all off.

I rule it out in the case of that game.

I had no problem with the ref bar that incident. The idea that FIFA paid officials off in the off chance that an outrageous opportunity like the Henry handball would come about is silly.

It's unlikely in that instance, but in cases of getting an outcome that they really wanted nothing can be ruled out.

Eh, Blatter is gone for other reasons, not bad publicity, he's had bad publicity for years, never bothered him before. He's gone because he made too many enemies and he couldn't buy them all off.

The events of the past few weeks may have culminated with Blatter leaving but I was referring to the constant scandals, Qatar for the World Cup, calls from other asscoiations for him to step down etc.

I think it clear, crystal clear in fact, that FIFA would prefer to avoid bad publicity.

Saying they don't care about bad publicity is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So apparently this money doesn't show up in any financial documents belonging to the FAI from 2009 through 2013. Nobody seems to have the accounts for 2014 yet.

Blatter was elected unopposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Fair dues to the FAI, I'd never have believed we could have got such a big payoff when we hadn't a legal leg to stand on. There was no legal case to make, and the match was never going to be replayed in a million years because of the precedent it would have made.

This is no different to stuff that goes on in the courts every day, where people are paid off to go away and avoid the embarassment of endless arguments in the public, even if they don't have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

eagle eye wrote: »
    So apparently this money doesn't show up in any financial documents belonging to the FAI from 2009 through 2013. Nobody seems to have the accounts for 2014 yet.

This doesnt bode well at all. Hopefully this gets cleared up because a country like ours cant afford 5 million to just disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Umaro wrote: »
    I cannot understand all the "Fair play to him" comments. He's openly admitting our country's FA took a bribe to shut up.

And look at this!

Our own FAI stood to make 5 million quid for themselves if we didn't qualify for the World Cup. Conflict of interest hello? They literally bet against the national team. We're fools.

The FAI did the same thing in 1966
    Ireland played three games against Spain in the run-up to the 1966 World Cup.

One in Dalymount, Dublin, which they won. One in Sevilla, which they lost. The third was to be played in a neutral venue (these were the days before aggregate scores.)

The two countries' negotiating teams sat down to decide on the neutral ground. Ireland wanted London or Liverpool; Spain wanted Lisbon. Finally, they decided on Paris.

However, when the Irish team ran out onto the Paris pitch, they were greeted by a sea of red and gold Spanish flags - Paris had a huge Spanish population. Hardly a tricolour to be seen - a neutral venue it was not.

Later, it transpired that the FAI had agreed to Paris in return for the gate receipts from both teams - £25,000. Three times their annual income but not as much as they would have received had they qualified.

Ireland lost to Spain in Paris.

Implications like Soccer being run fairly? It was a blatant handball. Video reffing could be one of these implications you refer to. With it we would never have another Henry incedent. Instead the FAI took the easy money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Do you remember the uproar over Sheffield United losing to Arsenal in the FA Cup in the 98-99 season? Kanu didn't return the ball to Sheffield United following an injury which led to Arsenal scoring a winning goal through Overmars. What happened next? Wenger offered a replay, which Sheffield United accepted.

Wenger called on the Ireland/France game to be replayed too saying it was the only fair option. I believe Lizarazu was another who condemned the manner in which France qualified at the time.

There was a clamour then for the game to be replayed and it appears FIFA, obviously sensing this could be an issue that could hang over the preparations for the tournament like a dark cloud, decided to make the cloud go away by blowing a wad of cash the FAI's way.

Where did this money go?

I'm disappointed to see so many people on this thread defending the actions that went on here which has the familiar stench of FIFA malpractice.

As others have said, if there was nothing wrong then why are we only hearing about this now? Oh that's right, Delaney was sworn to secrecy. How convenient. Otherwise he would have gladly informed the many disappointed fans in this country that Ireland's grievance had been bought off and they needn't worry any more...

Wenger OFFERED a replay. France RULED OUT a replay. Ireland literally had zero chance of getting anything overturned. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded.

• Advertisement

The FAI are on record that they have never voted for Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Blatter, but then nearly everybody did.

The money was obviously spent by the FAI, I doubt anybody is seriously suggesting it was misappropriated in anyway. Most of it probably went on Lansdowne and debt repayments, Blatter knew they needed the money badly. Sure the Aviva was basically built on the premise that we'd qualify regularly for major competitions.

The problem will be, does what Delaney said yesterday when this all came out tie in with what they told the auditors in 09/10. It's a bit similar to Anglo getting loans from other banks to cover up irregularities and "forgetting" to mention it to auditors and in the accounts.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wenger OFFERED a replay. France RULED OUT a replay. Ireland literally had zero chance of getting anything overturned. Anyone that thinks otherwise is deluded.

Of course France weren't obligated to accept a replay and any attempt to secure one through the courts would have failed. I don't think anyone disputes that.

The point is that at a time when the clamour for France to offer one on moral grounds was reaching its zenith, FIFA stepped in to shut Delaney and co. up. with, as the media have dubbed it, 'hush money'.

We will never know whether French minds may have turned on the matter as our sporting organisation were bought off. We now don't know where that money has gone and conflicting reports have been presented as to why the money was given in the first place. Anyone who thinks this is acceptable behaviour for sporting organisations to get up to is deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

eagle eye wrote: »

If it was a loan written off as FIFA say, yes. If it was treated as just normal income as Delaney seemed to suggest yesterday, I don't think so. I'd say the Times might dig deeper on this one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Of course France weren't obligated to accept a replay and any attempt to secure one through the courts would have failed. I don't think anyone disputes that.

The point is that at a time when the clamour for France to offer one on moral grounds was reaching its zenith, FIFA stepped in to shut Delaney and co. up. with, as the media have dubbed it, 'hush money'.

We will never know whether French minds may have turned on the matter as our sporting organisation were bought off. We now don't know where that money has gone and conflicting reports have been presented as to why the money was given in the first place. Anyone who thinks this is acceptable behaviour for sporting organisations to get up to is deluded.

France had said Non to replaying the game. They would have been stupid to say yes. I think the closest we got was Evra taking the mick, saying he'd replay us on the playstation.

French minds might have turned, but the FFP were not for turning. We do know and have been told by the FAI and FIFA that the money was offered and we took it, to be put into the new stadium and everyone got on with life. It's media sensationalism making a mountain out of a molehill now, and idiots seeing conspiracies where there are none.

Delaney didn't get the money, the FAI did. It was put on the accounts under general income, as it was confidential. It was then used to help pay for the new stadium. Not. Rocket. Science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

We do know and have been told by the FAI and FIFA that the money was offered and we took it, to be put into the new stadium

Well unless we qualified for WC 14 and it had to be paid back. Probably take a few pillars out of the stadium I suppose :rolleyes:

Well unless we qualified for WC 14 and it had to be paid back. Probably take a few pillars out of the stadium I suppose :rolleyes:

You make a minimum of £8-10m just from the group stages of a World Cup, so we could have added a pillar or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You make a minimum of £8-10m just from the group stages of a World Cup, so we could have added a pillar or two.

The 5m payment being linked to future results is the bizarre part, sorry if you can't grasp that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

F.A.I. now calling it 'reputational damage' due to Blatter's comments.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0605/706185-fai/

Joke shop the lot of them, and by them I mean FIFA and the F.A.I. Ireland has been made to look a joke by all of this. But par for the course of who's running it.

If some really people think it's all fine and 'fair play' to the boys for getting the sum of money then we really do get the association we deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I heard that we weren't exactly given €5 Million but rather a debt of €5 Million that we owed to FIFA was cleared, is this true?

• Advertisement

I heard that we weren't exactly given €5 Million but rather a debt of €5 Million that we owed to FIFA was cleared, is this true?

Nobody seems to know the exact details yet which probably says alot tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Nobody seems to know the exact details yet which probably says alot tbh.

Exact details just been released
    http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-statement-050615

Pighead wrote: »

We were given 5 million to shut up no matter how they spin it the fact remains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

5 trillion dollars

Should cover the cost of fixing that stupid North Stand in the Aviva.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

We were given 5 million to shut up no matter how they spin it the fact remains

Yeah but the other option was to get nothing & shut up

Pighead wrote: »

All hunky dory it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Just had a quick scan of the agreement. Are the FAI liable to pay $250k to FIFA for breaking the agreement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Delaney and the legal threat.

Delaney takes on Blatter.

Delaney defends his woman.

Clearly Delaney has gone off on a Delaney binge again. Why bother quietly doing your job when you can talk about yourself? I hope Barry Egan gets him a photoshoot for the Sindo.

I really wish he'd fxxx off.

Yup, this latest drama was completely sparked by the latest instalment of the Story of John Delaney, as narrated by John Delaney. The guy is a walking, talking fool. You encounter these lads and they really do seem to believe the nonsense they spout.

I still recall Delaney managing to take a scenario where everyone felt Ireland was wronged and owed some sympathy, and skilfully managing it so that Sepp Blatter - a man despised by all - could crack jokes at our expense a few days later and be greeted by laughter and giggles. A complete and total knuckle dragging fool.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah but the other option was to get nothing & shut up

Option No. 3... Keep the pressure going and perhaps get a replay? Its happened before...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-361512/FIFA-set-dangerous-precedent.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think its fair to say that the FAI betted against the player and the management by taking the money to shut up. They ought to have backed their team over a widely perceived injustice. But they were bought off for a relatively small sum. I don't follow the "They did well to get 5 million" thinking. That 5 million wasn't spent for the betterment of Irish football. It was spent on making Delaney a ludicrously overpaid figure in world football.

Delaney did well out of that 5 million, Irish football did not. From an Irish football perspective, it would have been better to stick to the principles of the case: not as a legal case, not as the 33rd team, not even for a replay (which we may have lost anyway), but just on the sheer principle of obviously incorrect and unjust decisions in football being remedied by video assistance for referees. Ireland could have backed their players efforts to the hilt *and* achieved an overall good for the game. But instead, Delaney took 5 million hush money which never did any good for Irish football.

Its a bad deal for an institution that should only be focused on what's good for Irish football.

Advertisement