Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI accepted 5 million over Henry

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Pighead wrote: »

I don't see any reference in Document 1 to the 5m having to be repaid if we qualified for WC 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Option No. 3... Keep the pressure going and perhaps get a replay? Its happened before...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-361512/FIFA-set-dangerous-precedent.html

There was never, ever going to be a replay but even if there had been it would have been in Paris and we would have been 1-0 down again.

the WC Finals draw took place 2 weeks after the game so that totally closed off any hope of a replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Benimar wrote: »
    There was never, ever going to be a replay

We'll never know thanks to our FA. Like Sand said above, the FAI should have stuck to their principles (not that Delaney has any)
    but even if there had been it would have been in Paris

Whats makes you say that?
    and we would have been 1-0 down again.

Didnt stop us in Paris did it? No it took a blatant handball to stop us.
    the WC Finals draw took place 2 weeks after the game so that totally closed off any hope of a replay.

So instead of "Ireland / France" in the draw, "Winner Playoff" and play it in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think the criticism of the FAI taking the 5m is over the top. I think some people are trying to blow it out of proportion because of their dislike of John Delaney.

Ireland were never going to get a replay, never! Legal action would have failed, there was no precedent and none would have been set in this case. €5m to stop playing to the worldwide media was a good deal considering what/who they were dealing with. Was he suppose to take the moral high ground with FIFA? Just think of Blatter sniggering at Ireland in that press conference, only louder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think the criticism of the FAI taking the 5m is over the top. I think some people are trying to blow it out of proportion because of their dislike of John Delaney.

Ireland were never going to get a replay, never! Legal action would have failed, there was no precedent and none would have been set in this case. €5m to stop playing to the worldwide media was a good deal considering what/who they were dealing with. Was he suppose to take the moral high ground with FIFA? Just think of Blatter sniggering at Ireland in that press conference, only louder

John Delaney is an arsehole, and this saga has made me dislike him even more. His criticism is more than justified imo.

What evidence do you have to prove that we would never succeed? And even if we failed, at least the FAI could hold there hands up, and say they tried their best, but no, they just whored off whatever decency they had left and played the same game as Blatter.

I'm frankly disgusted that FIFA tried to pay hush money to our association, and more disgusted that our association accepted it. The chance to play in a WC is massive for this country, and whether we would've even gotten a rematch, let alone won it, is irrelevant; the fact is, the FAI and Delaney took a typical FIFA bribe, told nobody about it until now, and sold off a chance to play in a WC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

John Delaney is an arsehole, and this saga has made me dislike him even more. His criticism is more than justified imo.

What evidence do you have to prove that we would never succeed? And even if we failed, at least the FAI could hold there hands up, and say they tried their best, but no, they just whored off whatever decency they had left and played the same game as Blatter.

I'm frankly disgusted that FIFA tried to pay hush money to our association, and more disgusted that our association accepted it. The chance to play in a WC is massive for this country, and whether we would've even gotten a rematch, let alone won it, is irrelevant; the fact is, the FAI and Delaney took a typical FIFA bribe, told nobody about it until now, and sold off a chance to play in a WC.

Yeah, nobody would have attacked Delaney and the FAI if they wasted hundreds of thousands of euros on a spurious court case that would have made us the laughing stock of the footballing, and with the associated publicity, wider, world.

His criticism is not in this instance imo

Its been said and said again, there was no precedent. If FIFA decided to break their own rules because of public opinion, FFP would have taken legal action and won easily. FFP had no authority to offer a replay in that instance either. FIFA wouldnt have recognized the result.

They didnt sell off a chance to be at a WC. Complete disillusion to think that.

Yeah, nobody would have attacked Delaney and the FAI if they wasted hundreds of thousands of euros on a spurious court case that would have made us the laughing stock of the footballing, and with the associated publicity, wider, world.

They could've laughed away all they wanted, anyone with a set of eyes could see that we were robbed in that game, and it's not totally uncommon for games to be replayed.

At least the FAI could've turned around and said 'we tried our best', but no, they just took hush money, and of course, only told when FIFA was at its knees, in typical John Delaney fashion.
    They didnt sell off a chance to be at a WC. Complete disillusion to think that.

They sold off a chance to fight to be in a WC. It might've been highly unlikely to be sufficient to get us to South Africa, but the point is they sold themselves off, and told nobody about it. Delaney is as bad as Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The court case would have been ridiculous.

The €5 million FIFA gave us was ridiculous.

It's not one or the other when it comes to everything being fine. It's not even about selling off a chance to be at the tournament, that's equally a bit mad as an argument. The court case would have been an absolute joke and, as you said, made us a laughing stock. For a federation to give us €5 million not to take them to court was also a joke. The actual process of everything is smeared with pockets lined and face saved. For the F.A.I. to even consider or mention a court case ALREADY made them and us a laughing stock.

They sold off a chance to fight to be in a WC. It might've been highly unlikely to be sufficient to get us to South Africa, but the point is they sold themselves off, and told nobody about it. Delaney is as bad as Blatter.

There was no chance, the result was done, dusted and legally binding under FIFA regulation. There is no highly unlikely about it.

Delaney is a gombeen compared to Blatter

• Advertisement

They could've laughed away all they wanted, anyone with a set of eyes could see that we were robbed in that game, and it's not totally uncommon for games to be replayed.

At least the FAI could've turned around and said 'we tried our best', but no, they just took hush money, and of course, only told when FIFA was at its knees, in typical John Delaney fashion.

What other FIFA games have been replayed over a refereeing mistake??

What other FIFA games have been replayed over a refereeing mistake??

None, but the FA had done it, and now UEFA had a few minutes of a womens game replayed a few weeks back.

The lack of precedent may have discouraged a challenge and understandably so,, but from what I can see, the €5m was enough for the FAI to keep their mouths shut. Even if they thought they would fail, it would've been no harm to try and do something to rectify the situation, but they did nothing instead, and that's not right imo.

None, but the FA had done it, and now UEFA had a few minutes of a womens game replayed a few weeks back.

The lack of precedent may have discouraged a challenge and understandably so,, but from what I can see, the €5m was enough for the FAI to keep their mouths shut. Even if they thought they would fail, it would've been no harm to try and do something to rectify the situation, but they did nothing instead, and that's not right imo.

A few weeks back? We are talking about 2009. And what FA called a replay??

They did do something and were given €5m to take it no further.

A few weeks back? We are talking about 2009. And what FA called a replay??

Ok, but the English FA did. This is the incident I'm referring to.

The URL is showing up when I reply, it's not showing in the original reply, I'm going to guess its Arsenal Sheffield.

The FA did not force a replay in this situation. Arsenal offered a replay, and the FA decided to allow it. Massive difference.

They did do something and were given €5m to take it no further.

A bit of moaning in the press is not substantial, and if they really wanted to do something good, they would've published the offer of €5m by FIFA, making Blatter and FIFA looking somewhat guilty, and certainly lowering their public opinion even further. This would've piled the pressure on FIFA, especially if the FAI played hardball with them via the press.

But no, they took FIFA's cheap bribe and shut their mouths until FIFA was at its weakest.

And that means nothing when dealing with FIFA rules

And that means nothing when dealing with FIFA rules

Maybe not, but it does show that it's not impossible to stage a replay.

A bit of moaning in the press is not substantial, and if they really wanted to do something good, they would've published the offer of €5m by FIFA, making Blatter and FIFA looking somewhat guilty, and certainly lowering their public opinion even further. This would've piled the pressure on FIFA, especially if the FAI played hardball with them via the press.

But no, they took FIFA's cheap bribe and shut their mouths until FIFA was at its weakest.

Not sure you understand what confidential means. Blabbing about it would have meant no money, on top of no qualification.

• Advertisement

You dont understand how hush money works, do you?

Not sure you understand what confidential means. Blabbing about it would have meant no money, on top of no qualification.
    You dont understand how hush money works, do you?

I don't think you fully understood me. FIFA sent an offer to the FAI. If I were John Delaney, I would've sent the docs to every major newspaper and station in Europe showing that FIFA clearly identify some form of guilt on their part (that's what settlement agreements show) and that they effectively wanted to pay us to shut up.

All Delaney had to do, was send them, and watch Blatter and FIFA get slaughtered by the press, who latch onto his already-falling public opinion.

This would've piled the pressure on FIFA and who knows what would've happened. €5m isn't a whole lot of money, and it shouldn't have been enough to shut the FAI up.

I don't think you fully understood me. FIFA sent an offer to the FAI. If I were John Delaney, I would've sent the docs to every major newspaper and station in Europe showing that FIFA clearly identify some form of guilt on their part (that's what settlement agreements show) and that they effectively wanted to pay us to shut up.

All Delaney had to do, was send them, and watch Blatter and FIFA get slaughtered by the press, who latch onto his already-falling public opinion.

This would've piled the pressure on FIFA and who knows what would've happened. €5m isn't a whole lot of money, and it shouldn't have been enough to shut the FAI up.

I think i do. Id call it naive

I think i do. Id call it naive

Call it what you will. But I'd call the belief that the FAI hold no guilt in accepting €5m hush money, a bit weak.

To think that John Delaney holds no guilt in this saga is wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Which would have been a lot better to be honest.

Ah yeah, the oul pi55 them off so that they do what you want ploy?!?!?

They definitely wouldn't have dug their heels in at all. And Delaney/FAI wouldn't look petty and small time at all either.

Corholio wrote: »
    Which would have been a lot better to be honest.

Yeah, much better to have an extra 5m debt and no tourney football than have 5m less debt and no tourney football.

Dealing with the brain dead here methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pighead wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to tie in with what Delaney said yesterday. Didn't think it would either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ebbsy wrote: »
    Would have been ever better if we had qualified.

Would it really have been?

Given the way trappatoni lined us out in the European Championships, we'd probably have been an even bigger embarrassment on an even more global stage

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to tie in with what Delaney said yesterday. Didn't think it would either.

Nothing Delaney says stands up to scrutiny. Its been like that for years. I guess he'll reach for the "when all else fails, throw tie at crowd, buy drinks all round, go on Late Late crying about girlfriend" routine next.

The man is a contemptible little clown.

Rikand wrote: »
    Would it really have been?

Given the way trappatoni lined us out in the European Championships, we'd probably have been an even bigger embarrassment on an even more global stage

We would have been less of an embarrassment than France turned out to be. Cheating to qualify, all the drama with Domenech and loosing to South Africa :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

We would have been less of an embarrassment than France turned out to be. Cheating to qualify, all the drama with Domenech and loosing to South Africa :D[/QUOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

From reading RTE it seems that the 5m was not to do with the game but to do with the 33rd team comment.

It seems that the discussions between Blatter and the FAI were supposed to be confidential but then Blatter straight away made the 33rd team comment.

I always thought that Blatter was way out if order for saying that and the mocking way he said it, it was much to dflect from his own organizations inabilities to officiate properly as anything else.

Well done to Delaney and the FAI for going after the little c&nt.

Well done to Delaney and the FAI for going after the little c&nt.

Oh Id say they tore him a new asshole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We would have been less of an embarrassment than France turned out to be. Cheating to qualify, all the drama with Domenech and loosing to South Africa :D

If Carlsberg did Karma....

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but Delaney did not get to the position he has got to by being a shrinking violet

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but Delaney did not get to the position he has got to by being a shrinking violet

Oh sure I know, him and Nadia, him and the new one, now all this "Blatter, My Part In His Downfall" stuff. He doesn't shun the limelight.

Still, I'd prefer all the heads of national FAs who do their jobs quietly and efficiently. No wonder Blatter laughed so hard at him and his demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

What does tearing one a new asshole actually mean?

What does tearing one a new asshole actually mean?

It means to grab someone and rip their skin apart, enabling them to crap out of a new orifice. As used by Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket...

http://youtu.be/2xf9AaKTdKM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The FAI never miss an opportunity to make us look like a bunch of eijets.

This episode sums up what I think of Delaney. He's a small-time chancer who wants to be a big-time chancer but isn't even smart enough to be small-time without making a fool of himself. The guy would be out of his depth in a puddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Why is this news now, I read about this 2 years ago.

From reading RTE it seems that the 5m was not to do with the game but to do with the 33rd team comment.

It seems that the discussions between Blatter and the FAI were supposed to be confidential but then Blatter straight away made the 33rd team comment.

I don't believe for a second the money was for Blatters comment. 5 million compensation for that??? Jesus Christ!

Oh and by the way, Delaney was very open about what was said at those meetings so there couldn't have been a confidentiality agreement anyhow...

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Why is this news now, I read about this 2 years ago.

Because the head of our FAI, after checking first to make sure Blatter was gone, couldn't resist going to the media bragging about how he had put it up to Sepp, and duked it out over the handball, his girlfriend and so on. And people said "hold on a minute, we knew we got the money...but the reasoning doesn't add up". It's in the news because Delaney has put it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

We were already a laughing stock. The only reason we got the money was because Blatter publically ridiculed Delaney's idea to change the world cup format and put in a 33rd team publicly. Blatter then threw the dog a bone to shut him up.
    The funny thing is about this story is Delaney being a complete eejit got us the money. It's not like he's some sort of genius. His idea of a 33rd team was so utterly idiotic and made Delaney look so bad was the reason behind the payoff.

And if you think Blatter was completely unprofessional to mention it, just remember it's now Delaney going public about it when it was supposed to be confidential.

Cienciano wrote: »
    We were already a laughing stock. The only reason we got the money was because Blatter publically ridiculed Delaney's idea to change the world cup format and put in a 33rd team publicly. Blatter then threw the dog a bone to shut him up.
    The funny thing is about this story is Delaney being a complete eejit got us the money. It's not like he's some sort of genius. His idea of a 33rd team was so utterly idiotic and made Delaney look so bad was the reason behind the payoff.

And if you think Blatter was completely unprofessional to mention it, just remember it's now Delaney going public about it when it was supposed to be confidential.

Delaney went public because FIFA came out and said what it was for. Are you reading the story or just picking up titbits and going off on a tangent on them??

Delaney went public because FIFA came out and said what it was for. Are you reading the story or just picking up titbits and going off on a tangent on them??

People just want to take a shot at Delaney regardless of the facts.

I don't believe for a second the money was for Blatters comment. 5 million compensation for that??? Jesus Christ!

Oh and by the way, Delaney was very open about what was said at those meetings so there couldn't have been a confidentiality agreement anyhow...

Its far more believable that FIFA settled because of the fear of litigation over confidentiality than fear of litigation over a bad ref.

Its far more believable that FIFA settled because of the fear of litigation over confidentiality than fear of litigation over a bad ref.

Thats exactly why it was paid but its not much of a headline for the papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Former Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has said that FIFA president Sepp Blatter offered to help him find "a way to forget" Thierry Henry’s handball after the controversial World Cup play-off defeat to France in 2009.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0606/706305-trapattoni/

Trap weighing in now saying he was also offered "a way to forget" suppose that means a few €€

sjb25 wrote: »
    Former Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has said that FIFA president Sepp Blatter offered to help him find "a way to forget" Thierry Henry’s handball after the controversial World Cup play-off defeat to France in 2009.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0606/706305-trapattoni/

Trap weighing in now saying he was also offered "a way to forget" suppose that means a few €€

Proof that the 5 million was not about confidentiality, it was hush money. Ah I love being right :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement