Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to be a member of a club in order to Fish.

Options
  • 04-06-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Some guy told me. Years ago in a fish and tackle shop that I needed to be a member of the local angling club in Dundalk in order to get a licence to Fishi? However having looked on citizens information this evening it stated no such thing and just told me in order to get a licence I can buy online or I can approach a local fish and tackle shop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Clubs have the rights to many waters and you need to be a member or buy a day permit to fish their waters. There are some free waters around and the local tackle shop will know of any locally. All trout waters in my area require club membership/permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Clubs have the rights to many waters and you need to be a member or buy a day permit to fish their waters. There are some free waters around and the local tackle shop will know of any locally. All trout waters in my area require club membership/permit.

Yes but citizen info told me I can buy a daily permit up to an annual permit so the question is in that case how does membership in a club be mandatory for a licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes but citizen info told me I can buy a daily permit up to an annual permit so the question is in that case how does membership in a club be mandatory for a licence ?

Without seeing that site, I imagine it's the state salmon licence you are thinking of. That is required to fish any water when you are targeting salmon or sea trout. Clubs have the rights to many waters around the country and will require you to join or buy a permit. Even if a water is free fishing to the public, if you are targeting the above species you require the state licence by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

That's one reason why sea angling is so much more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Canals and sea are free to fish, most lakes and rivers require permits, at least for the more fishable stretches on rivers anyway as they will tend to be somewhat maintained. Where are you planning to fish OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Just to clarify the rules:
    • You only need a licence to fish for salmon and sea trout.
    • Many club permits are for salmon (or game fish) only - they may want to claim full rights, but they may not have complete fishing rights.
    • Midland Fisheries have a permit for all fishing, although that doesn't cover the Shannon itself.

bpmurray wrote: »
    Just to clarify the rules:
    • You only need a licence to fish for salmon and sea trout.
    • Many club permits are for salmon (or game fish) only - they may want to claim full rights, but they may not have complete fishing rights.
    • Midland Fisheries have a permit for all fishing, although that doesn't cover the Shannon itself.

Thank you. I just have a few more questions. I was looking to get a permit from July to September how much would that cost me? And is it cheaper to become a member of the club or purchase a license? If going for salmon or trout what's the best rod hooks and bait to use? I was thinking of using a basic 6ft spinning cast rod but you may be able to advise better because I'd like to do some sea angling as well.

I live in black rock so I was thinking the fane river or the toberona river or some ethning like that. Anyone here got advice on getting access to the fane river? As for sea angling I was thinking clogherhead but if anyone else has got some good locations that would be great.

Thank you. I just have a few more questions. I was looking to get a permit from July to September how much would that cost me? And is it cheaper to become a member of the club or purchase a license? If going for salmon or trout what's the best rod hooks and bait to use? I was thinking of using a basic 6ft spinning cast rod but you may be able to advise better because I'd like to do some sea angling as well.

I live in black rock so I was thinking the fane river or the toberona river or some ethning like that. Anyone here got advice on getting access to the fane river? As for sea angling I was thinking clogherhead but if anyone else has got some good locations that would be great.

You cannot fish the Fane or Castletown rivers without being a member of Dundalk Brown Trout Anglers (Fane and Castletown) or Dundalk Salmon anglers for part of the Fane. Inniskeen Anglers control a small part of the fane. €40 a year covers trout with the Dundalk Brown Trout Anglers. Day permits are available from all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

2 different types of fishing there, sea and river - The problem with fishing is you end up buying everything you see and I guarantee if you start both you will have a beachcaster + reel - spinning rods + reels - fly rods + reels - not to mention the gear and tackle that goes with each.

I wouldnt actually start salmon fishing as a starter species (im not sure why but I feel you need to work up to salmon - is that a mad statement?) Salmon fishing is also very expensive with licences etc. Some rivers like my local are fly only - so check out methods allowed - spinning is forbidden in alot of places.

Sea fishing is hard! Be prepared to sit on a beach for hours and hours and catch nothing! But also be prepared to catch a small shark or 2 (smoothies) :D

Course fishing is probably where we all started and probably the best beginner method - but if you have a friend who is into trout fly fishing the I recommend starting either of the 2.

Before purchasing anything I would head out with friends if you can - Get a feel for game, course and sea if possible and see which direction you want to start in!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

And is it cheaper to become a member of the club or purchase a license?

I get the feeling your still mixing up a permit and a licence.

To fish for salmon or sea trout you need a licence.

To fish in a river controlled by a club you need a permit.

So, if you want to fish for salmon in a club controlled river or lake you will need a licence (from inland fisheries) and a permit (from the club).

To fish for brown trout all you need is a permit.

There are also plenty of free rivers and streams where you can fish for brown trout to your hearts content, but if you were to fish for salmon or sea trout you'd still need a licence.

Phew, thats the admin out of the way... lol.

Regarding tackle I would be inclined to decide in a broad sense what you want to fish for first.

A rod and reel for trout will generally be unsuitable for sea fishing and so on and so forth.

Im a big fan of light tackle and nothing beats the thrill of "angling" rather than "hauling".

A light spinning rod and reel may be your best compromise. It can be used for trout, salmon and the odd sea fishing session. But, it will always be a compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Incidentally, one of the best trout rods I ever bought was a cheap abu garcia (cant remember the model) which cost about e40. I used a small shimano fixed spool reel which I also used for spinning at sea.

I was just looking at a veals mail order brochure and they have an okuma polaris rod and reel combo for 49 pounds. Its an 8 foot rod with a light rating. It would be fine for trout and light lure fishing. \just an example of whats about.

You cannot fish the Fane or Castletown rivers without being a member of Dundalk Brown Trout Anglers (Fane and Castletown) or Dundalk Salmon anglers for part of the Fane. Inniskeen Anglers control a small part of the fane. €40 a year covers trout with the Dundalk Brown Trout Anglers. Day permits are available from all.

Thank you. I have an annual licence from the Dundalk and district brown trout and salmon anglers association. What places in Dundalk can I fish with this without needing permission from the club? Is the toberona oK?

Thank you. I have an annual licence from the Dundalk and district brown trout and salmon anglers association. What places in Dundalk can I fish with this without needing permission from the club? Is the toberona oK?

You have a membership so you can fish the fane from Knockbridge upstream to Cullaville, excl a short section at Inniskeen.
    Upstream from Toberona - down stream requires a salmon licence

Their website has details.

http://www.browntroutanglers.com/waters.html

Great thanks what about the stretch from castlebellingham road there where there seems to be a bridge and two signs up on either side saying members only. .is that ok to fish in? The road there just past fairways.

Great thanks what about the stretch from castlebellingham road there where there seems to be a bridge and two signs up on either side saying members only. .is that ok to fish in? The road there just past fairways.

That is the Dundalk Salmon Anglers waters and you need to be a club member or buy a day permit.

Advertisement