Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited downloads, but speed reduced?!?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi there

I switched to unlimited broadband in May - but noticed a massive drop in my speed from 24Mbps to 6.6.

The point of switching to unlimited was so my children could stream and watch stuff on their different devices. But that doesnt work now with such a slow speed.

I spoke with Eircom last week, who advised me that my account had somehow been altered and they would reset it.

As yet there is no change. I know others would be glad of 6Mbps, but its not what I am paying for, and its not what teh efibre promised.

I have websites to update, but don't fancy sitting with hundreds of Mb to upload with a fraction of the upload speed I had.

Disappointed

Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

jmark wrote: »
    Hi there

I switched to unlimited broadband in May - but noticed a massive drop in my speed from 24Mbps to 6.6.

The point of switching to unlimited was so my children could stream and watch stuff on their different devices. But that doesnt work now with such a slow speed.

I spoke with Eircom last week, who advised me that my account had somehow been altered and they would reset it.

As yet there is no change. I know others would be glad of 6Mbps, but its not what I am paying for, and its not what teh efibre promised.

I have websites to update, but don't fancy sitting with hundreds of Mb to upload with a fraction of the upload speed I had.

Disappointed

Mark
    Sorry to hear this Mark
    Please PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to this for you further

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

PM sent

Thanks

Mark

PM sent

Thanks

Mark
    Thanks jmark

I'm awaiting clarification from our technical support team - as soon as I have an update I'll let you know but I'll keep chasing this up for you.

Cheers
    Al

Thanks jmark

I'm awaiting clarification from our technical support team - as soon as I have an update I'll let you know but I'll keep chasing this up for you.

Cheers
    Al
    Thanks

Today the upload was as slow as 77 KBps - rather frustrating when you're trying to send a book to the printers.

MArk

Alan

A couple of things: 

Still no change in line speed - and I got my bill from eircom.

A couple of queries since I was:

- Charged for the overuse of broadband, even though I was meant to be on Unlimited. I presume this will happen for June too.
    - I find it strange that I get charged for the 1890 call to Eircom to tell them that their equipment isnt working properly, as well as having to hold on long periods of time while people go looking for others to deal with the issue.

I dont have time today to spend on another long phone call to get this sorted, so hopefully you will be able to progress things

Looking forward to getting these things sorted.

Mark

• Advertisement

Alan

A couple of things: 

Still no change in line speed - and I got my bill from eircom.

A couple of queries since I was:

- Charged for the overuse of broadband, even though I was meant to be on Unlimited. I presume this will happen for June too.
    - I find it strange that I get charged for the 1890 call to Eircom to tell them that their equipment isnt working properly, as well as having to hold on long periods of time while people go looking for others to deal with the issue.

I dont have time today to spend on another long phone call to get this sorted, so hopefully you will be able to progress things

Looking forward to getting these things sorted.

Mark
    Hi jmark

Our technical support department have advised me that a request has been submitted to networks to increase your speeds. The issues lays at a level beyond the control of technical support however I have been advised that we should have a further update to your speeds within the next 48 hours.

Once the speed issue is resolved I will take in to account of the inconvenience this has created and arrange a credit upon full investigations.

I'm sorry this is taking so long jmark

Thanks
    Al

Alan

Thanks for the response. You are restoring my faith in eircom! Keep up the good work

Mark

Alan

Thanks for the response. You are restoring my faith in eircom! Keep up the good work

Mark
    You're most welcome jmark

You have been extremely patient with this and I thank you. I am actively chasing this up and will continue to do so until resolved. As soon as I have an update I'll be right back to you.

Thanks
    Al

Dear Alan

I have been away on holidays and have returned to find that this is still not resolved. Moreover, I received a bill which had €19.80 of extra broadband charges on it for going over the limit (although I was only 8Gb over the limit). 

I know you have many different complaints to look at so let me sommarise where this one is at:

- I signed up for unlimited broadband usage since there are several children in the house using tablets, as well as adults.
    - I noticed my speed dropped from about 24 MBps to 6MBps - this obviously means that the main purpose of switching to unlimited is lost since several people cant use at those speeds. 
    - I rang Eircom - was told that they would fix it, but in the meantime they would have to transfer me back to my original package of limited broadband, and then transfer me to the right package within the week. (All excess Broadband usage would be refunded)
    - It didnt get sorted, so I posted here because I didnt have time to sit on the phone 
    - It is now two months later and it still isnt sorted and I am getting charged extra, and the speed is still restricted.

Alan, Im sure you can understand my frustration, I look forward to this being resolved finally, or at the very least the excess charges for May - July being refunded to my account asap. 

Yours

Mark

Dear Alan

I have been away on holidays and have returned to find that this is still not resolved. Moreover, I received a bill which had €19.80 of extra broadband charges on it for going over the limit (although I was only 8Gb over the limit).

I know you have many different complaints to look at so let me sommarise where this one is at:

- I signed up for unlimited broadband usage since there are several children in the house using tablets, as well as adults.
    - I noticed my speed dropped from about 24 MBps to 6MBps - this obviously means that the main purpose of switching to unlimited is lost since several people cant use at those speeds.
    - I rang Eircom - was told that they would fix it, but in the meantime they would have to transfer me back to my original package of limited broadband, and then transfer me to the right package within the week. (All excess Broadband usage would be refunded)
    - It didnt get sorted, so I posted here because I didnt have time to sit on the phone
    - It is now two months later and it still isnt sorted and I am getting charged extra, and the speed is still restricted.

Alan, Im sure you can understand my frustration, I look forward to this being resolved finally, or at the very least the excess charges for May - July being refunded to my account asap.

Yours

Mark
    HI jmark

I am very surprised to hear all this - apologies are certainly in order here and sincerely conveyed.

I have just refunded the additional €19.80 and I will begin my investigations in to this again right away. As soon as I have more information I'll be in touch with you right away.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Alan,

Thanks for the refund for June. I appreciate you getting on this again! Were the earlier charges refunded too, I cant remember!

Mark

Alan,

Thanks for the refund for June. I appreciate you getting on this again! Were the earlier charges refunded too, I cant remember!

Mark
    Hi jmark

All overcharged usage has been credited - I can also confirm that I have finally been able to find a resolution on this and I can finally assure you the charges will certainly never appear again.

If you have further queries in relation to this please PM me a good time to call you as I feel a call in certainly in order if you feel so.

Thanks
    Al

Alan

Many thanks for all your help - I wouldn't mind a call just so that I can be clear what all has been put in place!

Mark

Alan

Many thanks for all your help - I wouldn't mind a call just so that I can be clear what all has been put in place!

Mark
    No problem jmark

I'll call at 2 O'clock

Al

Advertisement