Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Get a house share, you will have great craic and you can have your girlfriend over on the weekends. Just don't hog the sitting room!

Lux23 wrote: »
    Get a house share, you will have great craic and you can have your girlfriend over on the weekends. Just don't hog the sitting room!

While a houseshare is the best option if he really wants to move out I wouldn't say it will be great craic. I've house shared for 6 years now and at no point would I describe it as craic, its ok most of the time but at no point did I not wish to be living at home or living alone instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

While a houseshare is the best option if he really wants to move out I wouldn't say it will be great craic. I've house shared for 6 years now and at no point would I describe it as craic, its ok most of the time but at no point did I not wish to be living at home or living alone instead.

Well, this really depends on the person and the people they end up living with. I wouldn't like them generally but have certainly had craic in ones with a good bunch of people or people who were compatible with my personality.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Well, this really depends on the person and the people they end up living with. I wouldn't like them generally but have certainly had craic in ones with a good bunch of people or people who were compatible with my personality.

I can see how if you moved in with a group of friends etc who you know for years or whatever then there is potential for a good time but moving in with strangers its usually just chats about the weather when you bump into each other in the house and often being annoyed by various different things about sharing etc.

Unfortunately its unavoidable for a lot of people and in the op's situation where he really needs to get out of home and hasn't really the funds to live alone its the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I can see how if you moved in with a group of friends etc who you know for years or whatever then there is potential for a good time but moving in with strangers its usually just chats about the weather when you bump into each other in the house and often being annoyed by various different things about sharing etc.

Nope, I've never moved in with friends, always strangers, some of whom became friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

TallGlass wrote: »
    Ok so seemingly the general consensus is a house share. Looking at them the price is low and I suppose I would give it a go. Just a few questions. How do they work? Like noise wise, cooking, using the washing machine etc.. Would I be allowed have a big TV in my room along with my computer? Should I pay extra money for this? Can the GF stay over a few nights a week? I start early in the morning 5am/6am would it be okay to let her stay on and then go to work with me not there or is that a no no ? Do I have my own key to my door to my room? If so, do you lock it. Stupid questions I know.

I seen a house share up the road from me for around 350€ P/M including bills.

I suppose I don't mind the idea, my only issue would be moving in and there been some wack job living in the house.

I reckon it's well worth giving it a go and seeing how you get on.

Noise wise - just try to find people of a similar mindset / lifestyle stage to yourself, and you hopefully shouldn't have too many problems.

Cooking - don't hog the kitchen, and clean up after yourself, and should be grand.

Washing machine - just make sure not to leave wet clothes sitting in there after it's done, take them out to let other people use the machine.

You can have whatever TVs and computers you want in your room, so long as you keep the volume reasonable for the time of day/night. No reason to pay extra money.

As a general rule I'd say 2 nights per week would be about the max that's reasonable to have a partner stay over, however that'll depend on the houseshare. I'd wait until your housemates get to know her a bit before you leave her there without you there, just out of consideration for them.

I've rarely had a bedroom key in houseshares, however I see no reason not to request one if you want one. I don't think anyone would be too offended or anything by it, after all you're moving in with strangers at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya, but we've heard about your type of house share before, which many of us would say is more like a boarding house with kitchen access than a real house-share.

That's fine if it's what you want to do.

But there are other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I've house-shared up until last year so about 9 years and I met several of my best friends from doing so. Yes, I lived with a couple of duds but on the whole I think house-sharing is the best option for a young person. I moved out at 23 and it was the best thing I ever did as far as my personal development goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: No need to drag up a thread that is over a year old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement