Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Controller

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Picked up mine now, came with bonus animal.

8BVgwNr.jpg

People are telling me they are having great success with the likes of CSGO, which to me would be amazing.

0d45564c641067666d72150de96fbd20.jpg

Thats ridiculous, how can a cat use a steam controller?? he lacks the strength and the opposable thumbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tar have you any links to correct set up for cs, I've tried some of the public and default setting and there of no use, had a google myself and couldn't find them..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was just using the default, been away for a few days so not played since, think I'll make my own as the default is crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

so mine arrived also - no sign of my rocket league or portal 2 key though. Gamestop failed me.

Set it up for a quick spin, to notice the mouse wavering a bit on screen. Thought ah ****e, its borked - however loaded up steam, opened big picture mode, and it required a firmware update to the controller which fixed the mouse movement. Didn't get to play anything really as I'm in work, but it feels nice, decent weight to it also with the batteries installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

ondafly wrote: »
    so mine arrived also - no sign of my rocket league or portal 2 key though. Gamestop failed me.

Probably be a week before you get them due to the 7 day online return policy.

I'm liking the controller so far. I only really bought it for games I can't play on keyboard like dark souls, metal gear and platformers. I can't see it replacing the k/m for fps, tried CSGO and I was worse than I normally am, but for most of the other games it's great.

Really like the community templates for controls. Instead of having to tweak the 100s of setting you can just flick through and choose the one you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The more I'm reading about the controller and link makes me more inclined to pick up a Xbox One controller with the Link rather than the Steam Controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I prefer ordered through steam, I guess I made the suckers choice if you can get it from Games too right now, ho hum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I was looking forward to this being good so I could play Rocket League on my big TV in the living room by streaming my pc to the steam streamer thing, but nearly all reviews I have read are negative about this controller. So much so that Im not going to get it now.

My 360 controller for Windows is a little bit cracked because i threw it in a fit of rage at Fifa cheating me! Anyone tried the Xbox One Elite controller on Windows? Its expensive, but is it worth the money? I could buy another 360 controller cheap as I still have the wireless adapter, but I always want to upgrade whenever Im replacing parts and if the xbox one controller is much better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im just going to go with a black 360 controller for the plug and play aspect, games are being designed for it atm and probably will be for years to come.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Probably be a week before you get them due to the 7 day online return policy.

amazingly they replied with the 2 codes ! I was expecting to have to visit a shop to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Thumbs up for Gamestop here as well. A staff member supplied me with the codes that I forgot to collect with the controller.

I think the reviews were quite negative and didn't take into account the fact that this is an all-rounder controller so it has to act like a controller and a mouse. I've no problems with the weight or balance of the controller and even though the ABXY buttons are a bit too small, I'm sure I'll get used to them. I've been using mine for some simple games like Toybox Turbos (micro machines) and it works fine but I really like that I can use it like a mouse and scroll through websites so it give my hands a break from the usual keyboard and mouse positions.

amazingly they replied with the 2 codes ! I was expecting to have to visit a shop to get them.

I seen from an earlier post they were sent at a later date. Im still waiting on mine. How did you order and how did you get the codes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

Ever since I first saw the steam controller I've been dying to try it. But once the lukewarm/bad reviews started coming in and I said screw I'd hold off until it was out a while and stick with the X1 controller and juat buy the link in the meantime. But then I got a gift of a €100 one for all voucher and said screw it (again!) and decided to pre-order both the controller and link this evening...I still have big doubts though and I'm considering cancelling the controller pre-order :o I do hope with time it will become easier to use, similar to it taking me quite a while to adapt to dual thumb sticks.

Jet Black wrote: »
    I seen from an earlier post they were sent at a later date. Im still waiting on mine. How did you order and how did you get the codes?

ordered on gamestop.ie the first day it was possible to do so. Didn't know about the free games until reading this thread, and when the joypad arrived, there was no sign of the them. I emailed their sales address and quoted my order number asking for the codes. They replied with them via email a few hours later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have to say we love the controller so far, mostly been using it for portal atm but I couldn't use a normal controller again after using the "mouse" area of this pad.

I didn't know it could do motion contol either

I have to say we love the controller so far, mostly been using it for portal atm but I couldn't use a normal controller again after using the "mouse" area of this pad.
    Would you play a proper FPS like Fallout 4 in it? Would you play something that was mouse/inventory heavy like Mass Effect/Witcher kind of games?

I didn't know it could do motion contol either

It's class isn't it!
    Thargor wrote: »
    Would you play a proper FPS like Fallout 4 in it? Would you play something that was mouse/inventory heavy like Mass Effect/Witcher kind of games?

Yep once I get good at it it will have no problems with those games, guy selling me it was getting it specifically for witcher too. Lots of customization with sensitivity and buttons makes it pretty good, I imagine I will get a lot better with it.

You have to do a lot of tweaking to get games like that played like you want but once more people do it valve will use the data to make that the default config. Basically the more it is used the better it will get.

All good to hear Tar!

• Advertisement

Yeah thanks for that Tar, wish I could get a play of it before I buy but I suppose I can adverts it for not much of a loss if I dont like.

Does it work well outside of Steam infrastructure, like would it connect to an XBMC or Linux box in the living room and do its mouse/controller role?

I can't get the controller to work with portal, what settings are you using, I get as far as the portal main menu then it won't move anywhere. Can't select anything.
    Rocket league works perfect out of the box.

Have you the link wiried? I'm finding its hit and miss with the wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Has anyone who have received the Link any feedback about it?

Has anyone who have received the Link any feedback about it?

Crap over wifi, wire it and I'd say it's fine, big software update in November, it's not bad but if your used to a console it's a bit wtf, work god dam it!
    Buy it but wire it. Does what it's meant to.

People have been saying on reddit that they think the link is class, I imagine it was wired but dunno.
    I can't get the controller to work with portal, what settings are you using, I get as far as the portal main menu then it won't move anywhere. Can't select anything.
    Rocket league works perfect out of the box.

Have you the link wiried? I'm finding its hit and miss with the wifi?
    That's odd as far as I know portal is one of the games it works best with, I think i just used the default controller settings for it. If you use the mouse to get into the game can you use the controller then? Did you pick a button config?

I don't have a link.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah thanks for that Tar, wish I could get a play of it before I buy but I suppose I can adverts it for not much of a loss if I dont like.

Does it work well outside of Steam infrastructure, like would it connect to an XBMC or Linux box in the living room and do its mouse/controller role?
    Yeah true, plus you need some time to figure it all out and get used to it. At first you are like these xyab buttons are tiny and in a weird place, after a day you dont even notice.

Not sure what it will connect to, think it uses the steam application as a driver atm but will probably have a standalone one at one point.

That's a problem for me with the link. Where I want to put it there is no wire which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

That's a problem for me with the link. Where I want to put it there is no wire which is a shame.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084Y9N3O?keywords=tp%20link&qid=1445424844&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

What about these?

I must try that. Thanks. I wonder how it's performace will be using this method.

Was about to suggest that, it should be the same as wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Anyone know what the story is with the vakve complete pack for Mac people as an apology for it not working right. People who preorered off steam seem to have gotten it. I haven't seen anything about it for GameStop people

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SlinkyDog

Lads, people who are posting that the controller has to be a replacement for the xbox controller in order to be viable, please be aware that's not steams intent.

The controller is meant as a replacement for the mouse and keyboard on the big screen in your living room think about it how on earth are you going to play a strategy game with an xbox controller?

Initial reports from playtesting suggest the controller while initialy disapointing does take time to get used to to rewire your brain to a completely new form of input after some time most reviewers say they love it.Also it's worth mentioning that steam have generic mapping profiles for the pad while functional apear to totaly ruin some games it was generally the consensus that after a bit of tinkering around in the setting the pad proforms brilliantly don't expect this thing to work brilliantly out of the box.

If your the type of person who expects this to work flawlessly out of the box you will be dissapointed! At least wait for users to post tested pad profiles for each game!

I intend to use this to stream games to my tv in the living room I like rts games... so perfect for me 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've previously been pretty happy with my Xbox360 controller, but the idea of the trackpads replacing mouse functionality has me really intrigued about the Steam controller. As someone who's suffering from some RSI, I tend to either prefer games that use a controller, or will vary the games I play so as not to spend too much time with keyboard and mouse exclusively. I think if my controller gives out on me, I'll be looking into the Steam one. ;)

SlinkyDog wrote: »
    Lads, people who are posting that the controller has to be a replacement for the xbox controller in order to be viable, please be aware that's not steams intent.

The controller is meant as a replacement for the mouse and keyboard on the big screen in your living room think about it how on earth are you going to play a strategy game with an xbox controller?

Initial reports from playtesting suggest the controller while initialy disapointing does take time to get used to to rewire your brain to a completely new form of input after some time most reviewers say they love it.Also it's worth mentioning that steam have generic mapping profiles for the pad while functional apear to totaly ruin some games it was generally the consensus that after a bit of tinkering around in the setting the pad proforms brilliantly don't expect this thing to work brilliantly out of the box.

If your the type of person who expects this to work flawlessly out of the box you will be dissapointed! At least wait for users to post tested pad profiles for each game!

I intend to use this to stream games to my tv in the living room I like rts games... so perfect for me 

Some good points there and overall it's what I'm expecting; patience and effort are required, at least initially until community created configurations become more prevalent. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it the more I read.

Anyone know what the story is with the vakve complete pack for Mac people as an apology for it not working right. People who preorered off steam seem to have gotten it. I haven't seen anything about it for GameStop people

No idea, maybe contact steam support, should be same thing for linux use

There's a very real danger of that alright, the delays haven't helped either.

So the official launch is next Tuesday. Having never ordered hardware from Steam, does anyone have an idea as to when they might dispatch; on launch day or (hopefully) ahead of it? I'm considering taking a day off to mess around with it in peace :p

Edit: From http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/ "Estimated Delivery: December 2nd - December 9th.
    * The estimated delivery date is for new pre-purchases on Steam. If you have an existing pre-order from before Oct 19th, you will receive your Steam Controller on Nov 10th."

I ordered ON October 19th :(

I decided to lob the question to Steam support for the craic, an automated response was received as expected :rolleyes:

Edit: Holy moly, I've just got a shipping/tracking e-mail and both the controller and link left the 'GLS site' Netherlands at 2pm on 05/11; Steam really are great after all :P

SlinkyDog wrote: »

RTS games with a controller... madness.

Its like entering a sprint with a sprained ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SlinkyDog

How I feel when I play shooters with thumb sticks! :D

Battery life seems OK although I got a notification a week back saying it was nearly empty. Checked and it was at 4%. It then went up to 12%. It was at 0% for the last 3 days then last night it finally died. A little over 3 weeks with a decent amount of use.

Overall happy with the purchase. I have yet it use the trackpad because the games I play don't require it. It will take a lot of practice to get use to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭GoodGamerGuy

Anybody else get a notification about it shipping on the 5/11?
    Mine says it left GLS but haven't seen any update since the 5th.
    Hoping to get it today

• Advertisement

Anybody else get a notification about it shipping on the 5/11?
    Mine says it left GLS but haven't seen any update since the 5th.
    Hoping to get it today

Yeah I got the same and there's been no updates to the shipment on the GLS site since November 5th ("The package has left the GLS site."). Based on this I thought it might be delivered in time for launch day, but I called GLS this morning and they could only confirm that it was still in transit, meaning it hasn't arrived in Ireland yet.
    It could still arrive later today I suppose (4 days since leaving the Netherlands you'd think it should) and be delivered tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭GoodGamerGuy

Yeah seems quite long to still be stuck in the Netherlands. Say it will for sure be here tomorrow

There was an update on mine at 21.14 yesterday: The package has left the GLS site. Location: Great Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Mine's been updated to being in their Dublin location as of this evening. Hopefully comes tomorrow with no issues.

Yeah, same for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

With their vr controllers coming out it makes you wonder about the longevity of this thing. Indeed, the longevity of the whole steamos/steambox strategy. Seems like its been superseded already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Any idea how well steam link works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Turtwig wrote: »
    Any idea how well steam link works?

This is what im interested in over the controller tbh,

Mine just arrived, Dublin 8 :DD
    First impressions are good, it feels much better in the hand than I expected.
    Work needs to finish now so I can get home and mess around with it and the link!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I picked up my Steam Link for Gamestop yesterday, had to remind them to hand over the Rocket League and Portal 2 codes (the latter is now up for grabs in SteamGifts), the cashier didn't think there would be any left but happily I got them.

My setup is that the Link is wired, it's sitting right beside my router and TV downstairs, while my PC is upstairs and wireless. I didn't have much time last night, but quickly tested Battleblock Theatre and DIRT 3 and didn't encounter any problems - I'm guessing Battleblock Theatre isn't too taxing on the system so am not surprised it streamed so well. The sound for DIRT 3 may have been impacted, but didn't notice anything else. Will try out a fighting game or something different over the next few days and see if I need to come up with a solution to the wireless problem. Running a cable isn't an option, so have been looking at these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084Y9N3O

But again, no point ordering them unless I run into problems with the wireless set up.

How is everyone else getting on with the Link?

Advertisement