Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Controller

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Links234 wrote: »
    So, today I recieved my Steam controller, my xmas gift from the other half. I am well happy. :)

ffs you dont open it until the 25th!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ffs you dont open it until the 25th!!!

Ah well you see, she heads home to her family for the Christmas, so what we've been doing the last few years is holding our own Christmas party a week early. Cooked up a massive dinner for us, exchanged gifts, had a few drinks and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ah well you see, she heads home to her family for the Christmas, so what we've been doing the last few years is holding our own Christmas party a week early. Cooked up a massive dinner for us, exchanged gifts, had a few drinks and all.

fine.

thats acceptable :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I'll probably buy the controller directly from Steam. What delivery method do they use? Courier or An Post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

I'll probably buy the controller directly from Steam. What delivery method do they use? Courier or An Post?

Courier from the Netherlands, DPD iirc. Don't forget they charge €13 delivery!

Shred wrote: »
    Courier from the Netherlands, DPD iirc. Don't forget they charge €13 delivery!

The pain in the ass of dealing with couriers is more an issue than the cost.

I'll probably get it sent to parcel motel now which will cost more!

They have them in gamestop, if there's one close to you?

They have them in gamestop, if there's one close to you?

Not too close but out of stock as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah as LinksZwoDreiVier said (and as much as I dislike recommending the rip off merchants) Gamestop normally do have them for the same price as Steam. Tbf, getting it delivered via DPD was pretty painless (to Dublin anyway), despite the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

err oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hmm.. been playing with one of these today, for me the first problems you have to get past are: do I actually want to play my PC games on the couch and do I want to use something as hit and miss as steam streaming to do so, and the answer to both is pretty much "Nope".

I'm not a controller user at all, I've probably only played two games with gamepads for any period (red dead redemption and GTA IV) so I shouldn't have to overcome previous familiarity with another controller but still this just does not feel like it is going to adequately port a keyboard and mouse experience to the couch. So in its primary purpose its a failure.

The half arsed steam streaming does'nt help, maybe The Link would improve that but I don't want yet another device taking up another ethernet port, powersocket and hdmi connection when I've already a PC hooked up to the TV

The haptic mouse pad doo hickey is interesting and the option to use community configs is neat, even though it highlights why the whole enterprise of trying to replace keyboard and mouse with a controller is fairly self defeating, controllers really need to have standardized mappings

I'll play around a bit more but it seems to be another miss by valve basically

Bambi wrote: »
    The half arsed steam streaming does'nt help, maybe The Link would improve that but I don't want yet another device taking up another ethernet port, powersocket and hdmi connection when I've already a PC hooked up to the TV

Why the need for steam link at all if you already have the PC connected to the TV?

I like the controller, community configs are great. Installed an older FPS, the default WASD controller layout didn't map too great so I just picked the top voted community layout for that game and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Why the need for steam link at all if you already have the PC connected to the TV?

I like the controller, community configs are great. Installed an older FPS, the default WASD controller layout didn't map too great so I just picked the top voted community layout for that game and it works perfectly.

Do you have the Link?

Do you have the Link?

No I have the PC connected to TV via very long HDMI cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No I have the PC connected to TV via very long HDMI cable.

Best way to be fair, i was thinking of getting a Link but not fully sold on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I said "a PC" not "the PC", big difference :D

gaming machine isn't hooked up to the telly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Treated myself to one earlier. Will be interesting to see whats it's like.

Nv1V7bv.jpg

Initial impressions...it feels fantastic. Similar build quality to the XOne pad i'd say, though a bit heavier which i like. The trackpads feel excellent as well, though the button placement for the normal 4 buttons (A, X, Y, B) feel a little weird after using different pads for a few years. Won't take long to get used to it though. Looking forward to giving it a proper run over the next few days. Didn't even realise there was gyro in it, so can't wait to try some racing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

So for those using the controller a while now - What's the verdict?

I'm tempted to get one myself as I've started back into the Steam versions of the Final Fantasy series and keyboard just doesn't feel right for it.

Also is the controller compatible with non-steam games?

I really like it. The Dualshock 4 was my favourite of the current pads, but i think this will take over once i get fully used to it. The button placement is a little odd compared to other pads, so i still find my muscle memory moving my fingers to the wrong places, but that'll fix itself soon enough (thought i'm still not 100% convinced about the D pad haptic placement). The customisation is amazing, and you have so many different ways of changing the controller. I've made some changes to the recommended config in games, though i tend to just pick the community recommended config.

It's not really something you need if you already have a 360/XOne pad though, as they would cover most games. I'd consider it a decent option for playing mouse based games on the couch, or a nice gadget to have if you like messing around with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

I really like mine but generally use it for Rocket League only. I have played Witcher 3 also and its fine. I wouldn't recommend it for FPS games though, but then I bet with some practice it would be fine.

I like now how it has jingles for powering on/off like an old nokia phone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Tempted alright. Might have a look in gamestop.

I'm decent at rocket league with keyboard and mouse. Used to it now but I might give it a go with the controller if / when I get one.

I'm curious if it would work for BF4 and Battlefront while flying.

The haptics are very accurate, so with practise i'm sure it'd be great for flying or driving. It's not going to be as accurate as a m/kb for most games, but it's surprisingly accurate once you get used to it.

I'm going to give the gyro a go over the weekend with some racing games, see if it's any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

d-pad has been a bit of a pain in the ass with dying light, very clunky imo

maybe theres a better profile I need to try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone know how to get Netflix on the link, have kodi installed as a 3rd party app and the beast firmware on it which is the business, still want Netflix though.

ondafly wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it for FPS games though, but then I bet with some practice it would be fine.

Using the gyro for aiming, it's perfect and really accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Anyone know how to get Netflix on the link, have kodi installed as a 3rd party app and the beast firmware on it which is the business, still want Netflix though.

I've just been minimizing the big picture mode in the link menu and just using my desktop. Not ideal but it works grand for me

I've just been minimizing the big picture mode in the link menu and just using my desktop. Not ideal but it works grand for me

Was looking at doing it through an app someway, there's one in kodi but it doesn't work. Do you know of any apps that support Netflix with in it?

Anyone got Origin working with the link, i'm really struggling, can't seem to find a solution and I've a few games sitting in Origin.

-If I add an origin game to steam it's won't run through the link, it just starts as normal on pc but can't see it on the telly.

-If I launch Origin through steam it just flashed up for a second then quits.

Anybody had any luck with the same?

Got it working OSI but as you said there's a performance issue, battlefront and need for speed are unplayable just to glitchy, no problem with any other steam games.

I'll try that tonight, somethings definitely putting a drag on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Anyone know if it's possible to control the pc mouse cursor with the steam controller? I thought it would have been evidently straight forward, especially because when I used the link the 360 controller's analog sticks could control the mouse. But for some reason neither the steam controller's control stick or thumbpads control the mouse for me. :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

cant you change it when configuring the controller? like set the touchpad to act as a mouse? I dont really like this controller, finding it difficult to aim. slightly better with gyro on but still inferior to normal 360 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Has anyone used the steam controller for dark souls or dark souls 2. I know it works but I found it unbelievably hard to use the haptic wheel to move. Is everyone the same or do I just need more time with the controller?

I've given up on it, use the Xbox one where possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I often think that people jsut don't know how to use it if they find it hard to use. For instance people complained it was hard to turn to me, I changed the settings and it worked like a dream, they didn't even know you could hold the pad and move the controller to turn etc. As with the developer showing of MGS shooting you can get to be like that in any game. People have used normal controllers their whole lives, it took a while to get good with the steam controller.

It's replaced the Xbox pad for everything bar Fifa for me. I'm still not sure about the left haptic as the D pad, as it feels like it's just slightly off (muscle memory and all that), but that's about the only complaint i have. The Gyro for aiming is brilliant, and allows you to have the best of both controller schemes (pad movement, mouse like aiming). Plus, with the different configs available from the community, you can easily change things you don't like. Just don't use the default config for most games...they usually aren't great.

It'll never replace the kb/m, but it's a far superior pad imo.

I've had to stop using the controller recently, as the latest patch pretty much broke it for me. Configs on all my games have changed, and i can't get them back to what they were before. May be the beta patch, but even rolling it back hasn't helped. Really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was very close to buying one today in Gamestop, glad I held off. I've been using the Nvidia Shield controller via USB, which is surprisingly good if a bit hefty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Saw one of these in Cex for €40 the other day might be tempted to buy it this week I really want to give it a try my 360 pad is held by sellotape at the moment but it still gets me through Fifa, Pes and rocket league. Speaking of rocket league anyone here use the steam controller for it? Also is dark souls playable with it?

• Advertisement

kevovek wrote: »
    Saw one of these in Cex for €40 the other day might be tempted to buy it this week I really want to give it a try my 360 pad is held by sellotape at the moment but it still gets me through Fifa, Pes and rocket league. Speaking of rocket league anyone here use the steam controller for it? Also is dark souls playable with it?

I use it on rocket league, once you get used to the slightly different button placement then it's perfectly fine for rocket league. Works on the default profile with no need to fiddle about on the settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Picked it up a little while ago, yeah the placement of the x button feels far to me but I'm sure I'll get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

had to get one to see what it's like, been using it the last week and it's an adjustment to say the least, found it quite good with tomb raider, and getting used to it with rocket league though it did have a cluster f* the other night (it forgot all my settings and all i could do was go forward), had to restart game and controller :( playing fps with it is tricky i find though, kept going back to KB and mouse when playing, just feels easier with kb still.

quite handy when not up for sitting up by comp and lying on the couch using the controller on desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Any word on this thing having drivers that don't need steam?

CraigM84 wrote: »
    had to get one to see what it's like, been using it the last week and it's an adjustment to say the least, found it quite good with tomb raider, and getting used to it with rocket league though it did have a cluster f* the other night (it forgot all my settings and all i could do was go forward), had to restart game and controller :( playing fps with it is tricky i find though, kept going back to KB and mouse when playing, just feels easier with kb still.

quite handy when not up for sitting up by comp and lying on the couch using the controller on desktop

Was that Rise of the Tomb Raider? I used it to play that and found it to a nightmare with camera angles...really put me off the controller, then I gave up and used k+m and found the camera angles were still just as bad so it's either the game or me!

This controller works perfectly with The Division, and okay with Assassins Creed. I think my main problem with it now is that I neither understand all the settings nor can I be bothered to learn and mess about with them for each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

yep rise of the tomb raider, i dont find the camera angles bad, for roaming around just leave as is for best part, the right thumb pad is nice though for aiming in combat. must try it with AC Syndicate, will be finishing tomb raider first.

for the best part, ive been using community settings, then changing some settings as i please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Speaking of rocket league anyone here use the steam controller for it? Also is dark souls playable with it?

I find it brilliant for Rocket league, it's quickly become my default controller for it. Iv'e set up a couple of control schemes for Jedi Outcast and War For Cybertron...they're certainly serviceable in the campaign/against bots but would be eaten alive by m+k players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Laviski

I find it brilliant for Rocket league, it's quickly become my default controller for it. Iv'e set up a couple of control schemes for Jedi Outcast and War For Cybertron...they're certainly serviceable in the campaign/against bots but would be eaten alive by m+k players.

use it for rocket league as well and it works brilliantly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Any indication of a rev2 of this controller dropping in the next year? looking at buying it but my gut says no sooner will i have bought it that a newer one will be announced :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Saw one of these in Cex for 40 the other day might be tempted to buy it this week I really want to give it a try my 360 pad is held by sellotape at the moment but it still gets me through Fifa, Pes and rocket league. Speaking of rocket league anyone here use the steam controller for it? Also is dark souls playable with it?
    Is this by any chance in Bray - saw that myself a few weeks ago, and was tempted to buy it - did you get it? (too lazy to walk down to CEX to check!)

Steam controllers are currently €38.50 in Gamestop: https://www.gamestop.ie/PC/Games/53259/steam-controller

• Advertisement
Advertisement