Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Strike has been deferred. Senior management and unions will be in discussions over the coming days.

Hopefully this all gets put to bed soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jono_Reilly111

Today's rumour in the OBI is that class 3 has been suspended indefinitely.

Today's rumour in the OBI is that class 3 has been suspended indefinitely.

Yeah we are 100% off for 2017.
    Class 2 back for medics January so were prob looking summer 18 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Just my pennies worth as usual

Numbers in the job are okay at the moment. 48 Subbies have been placed on a panel but the retirements havnt been as forecoming as expected.

The suspension of the class pencilled in for September was a knee jerk reaction due to the strike notice.

Now because it was taken off the table for Sept. It resulted it plans being suspended. Then you very rarely have a class starting in Nov, Dec or Jan. February is traditionally a favourite for a class to start, but with the chance of the paramedic course in January. My money is going on a March/April 2018 start for class 3.

All speculation of course, but I'm never usually far off. The ambulance is a major issue and could go one of three ways, 1. We get the extra four ambulances, resulting in a sudden demand for personal. 2. (Highly unlikely) it goes and we won't need people for a long time. 3. It remains the same, which is most likely.

Chungwun wrote: »
    Just my pennies worth as usual

Numbers in the job are okay at the moment. 48 Subbies have been placed on a panel but the retirements havnt been as forecoming as expected.

The suspension of the class pencilled in for September was a knee jerk reaction due to the strike notice.

Now because it was taken off the table for Sept. It resulted it plans being suspended. Then you very rarely have a class starting in Nov, Dec or Jan. February is traditionally a favourite for a class to start, but with the chance of the paramedic course in January. My money is going on a March/April 2018 start for class 3.

All speculation of course, but I'm never usually far off. The ambulance is a major issue and could go one of three ways, 1. We get the extra four ambulances, resulting in a sudden demand for personal. 2. (Highly unlikely) it goes and we won't need people for a long time. 3. It remains the same, which is most likely.

Thanks for info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fingal-county-council-calls-presentation-12737960

Not sure if it will help but I sent a letter to a local TD that lives on my road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jpm_24

Any updates on how the talks are going or info on where it all stands at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Jpm_24 wrote: »
    Any updates on how the talks are going or info on where it all stands at the moment?

No very little happening at the moment. The chair off the new forum is only back in the country the past week or so. It'll be a slow process folks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jpm_24

Chungwun wrote: »
    No very little happening at the moment. The chair off the new forum is only back in the country the past week or so. It'll be a slow process folks

No worries. Hard to know what will happen with rest of panel now. Just hope it gets used up as all that work for nothing would be a sickener

Jpm_24 wrote: »
    No worries. Hard to know what will happen with rest of panel now. Just hope it gets used up as all that work for nothing would be a sickener

Wouldn't worry too much. Panel is still planned too be fully used. Class 3 in for Feb now seemingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

Hi all, first time poster long time observer ( on this forum)

I am down for the next class to go into the control room. If, and its a big IF, the next class for ff is and hopefully down for Feb does that mean the the next class off ESC will be Oct ?

Obviously DFB have to keep the control room and after these talks are done they will retain it.

In theory yes but the control room is at the centre of all this so I wouldn't bet on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Regardless of what happens with the ambulance and dispatch function DFB control room will still dispatch fire appliances so I'd imagine esc's will still be needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 blackmark

Jim Royle wrote: »
    Hi all, first time poster long time observer ( on this forum)

I am down for the next class to go into the control room. If, and its a big IF, the next class for ff is and hopefully down for Feb does that mean the the next class off ESC will be Oct ?

Obviously DFB have to keep the control room and after these talks are done they will retain it.

There is no date for the third class at the min. sit tight. the numbers are back to 08 numbers i believe and there are not as many retirements as expected this year hence the provisional date for class 3 being removed for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

hey all .

I'm just looking at this thread for the first time.

Do Dublin Fire Service ever hire engineers ? How about current openings ? I'm feeling like I want a change

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Choppy1916

hey all .

I'm just looking at this thread for the first time.

Do Dublin Fire Service ever hire engineers ? How about current openings ? I'm feeling like I want a change

Yes, They hire people from all walks of life, no current openings. Recruitment process happened in 2016. It'll be a few years before they recruit again .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 movers&shakers

Hi all,
    I'm looking to gain a good understanding of Galway Fire Service (Full time) if anyone could help me out, I'm currently in the running.
    How does it compare to DFB ?
    Are wages/ allowances etc. the same ?
    Is rostering the same, with ABCD watch ?
    How long is training & where ?
    They don't have an Ambulance service so I'm assuming paramedic is not part of the training ?

Anyone with any knowledge they could share I would be very grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭PadraigPearse

Hi all,
    I'm looking to gain a good understanding of Galway Fire Service (Full time) if anyone could help me out, I'm currently in the running.
    How does it compare to DFB ?
    Are wages/ allowances etc. the same ?
    Is rostering the same, with ABCD watch ?
    How long is training & where ?
    They don't have an Ambulance service so I'm assuming paramedic is not part of the training ?

Anyone with any knowledge they could share I would be very grateful.

As far as I know theyre all trained to EFR level. Id contact HR in relstion to wages and for shifts etc the guys in the stsion would be hapy to help but id assume theres 1 or 2 crews on at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 37 movers&shakers

As far as I know theyre all trained to EFR level. Id contact HR in relstion to wages and for shifts etc the guys in the stsion would be hapy to help but id assume theres 1 or 2 crews on at all times

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm a Dub so not around Galway too often, although I will arrange a Station visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭PadraigPearse

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm a Dub so not around Galway too often, although I will arrange a Station visit.

If youve an interview it'd defo be a good idea to visit but im sure if you ring theyll answer your questions qbout shifts etc.
    Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Has anyone here ever gone for formal interview skills training? I'm on the panel for Limerick but it doesn't seem to be moving at all. Will apply for Dublin whenever they start recruiting again. Left myself down a bit on the second interview stage last time.

Was reading the SIPTU to DFB members email yesterday.

Part regarding recruitment. Levels at 963 at moment including current class in obi. Assessing if further recruit class is needed THIS YEAR in September. This is offical info not word of mouth. Keep the fingers crossed guys and girls. It's coming so not too worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hi. Anyone on average how often DFB recruit, is it every 3/4 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 blackmark

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Hi. Anyone on average how often DFB recruit, is it every 3/4 years?

It's impossible to know these days with the introduction of internal and control room entry. The gap between the last recruitment and the one previous (public) was about 9 years whereas previous it would have been every 3 roughly speaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ok thanks. I'd like to join but won't be able to for another 5/6 years so was curious to know.

All has been quiet here for a while ! Class 2 passout Wednesday :) anyone heard anything about next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

Let's hope ASAP. It's been a long time on this panel

Sure has! This year defo out of question anyway. Was speaking to Pat Fleming the Chief at nutgrove open day. Lovely man

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Sure has! This year defo out of question anyway. Was speaking to Pat Fleming the Chief at nutgrove open day. Lovely man

@ Grahamfire any word on a possible class next year?

• Advertisement

I had an in depth conversation with him about the whole recruitment process and panel. He explained the ins and out of it to me and the future plans. He was so helpful and really put my mind at ease. I'm not going into details on a public forum about what he said to me however as I think it could compromise me. What I will say is this year is 100% off because of lack of expected retirements not so much the ambo situation. Also I'd confidently say from our conversation everyone on the panel has a job coming to them at some stage within the next 2 years. The next class date will be decided in September once numbers are assessed. The next class will be next year and the first half. It should also be a decent size. Hope this helps guys

Advertisement