Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

Hi Graham. Just wondering if there was anything mentioned about the next class for the control room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Jim Royle wrote: »
    Hi Graham. Just wondering if there was anything mentioned about the next class for the control room

No nothing. But nothing has changed with control room so can't see why a class of 10 won't be taken before FF class 3 to relief guys going into the FF class as usual. Could be wrong tho !

Grahamfire wrote: »
    No nothing. But nothing has changed with control room so can't see why a class of 10 won't be taken before FF class 3 to relief guys going into the FF class as usual. Could be wrong tho !

Cheers Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Good luck to lads passing out today.

hopefully, the rest of us don't have too long a wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 That_guy91

Spoke with somebody who is an active fire fighter but heavily involved in the training in the obi and they said there will be a class going in dependant on how they structure the paramedic training in either October or January

That_guy91 wrote: »
    Spoke with somebody who is an active fire fighter but heavily involved in the training in the obi and they said there will be a class going in dependant on how they structure the paramedic training in either October or January

The class that just passed out are returning in Jan for medic training

If Jan is the return date for the class to go back for paramedic training, can the OBI facilitate say another class of new ff training which will be 1/2018 ??

Why arent they training the recruits as paramedics while they have them in the OBI? surely it would make sense to send them out as ff/paramedic as opposed to sending them out and then calling them back in ?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Chungwun wrote: »
    Just my pennies worth as usual

Numbers in the job are okay at the moment. 48 Subbies have been placed on a panel but the retirements havnt been as forecoming as expected.

The suspension of the class pencilled in for September was a knee jerk reaction due to the strike notice.

Now because it was taken off the table for Sept. It resulted it plans being suspended. Then you very rarely have a class starting in Nov, Dec or Jan. February is traditionally a favourite for a class to start, but with the chance of the paramedic course in January. My money is going on a March/April 2018 start for class 3.

All speculation of course, but I'm never usually far off. The ambulance is a major issue and could go one of three ways, 1. We get the extra four ambulances, resulting in a sudden demand for personal. 2. (Highly unlikely) it goes and we won't need people for a long time. 3. It remains the same, which is most likely.

Class 3 will be April.....Don't know numbers, or escs, etc. Just the word is April

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Just my pennies worth as usual

Numbers in the job are okay at the moment. 48 Subbies have been placed on a panel but the retirements havnt been as forecoming as expected.

The suspension of the class pencilled in for September was a knee jerk reaction due to the strike notice.

Now because it was taken off the table for Sept.  It resulted it plans being suspended. Then you very rarely have a class starting in Nov, Dec or Jan. February is traditionally a favourite for a class to start, but with the chance of the paramedic course in January. My money is going on a March/April 2018 start for class 3.

All speculation of course, but I'm never usually far off. The ambulance is a major issue and could go one of three ways, 1. We get the extra four ambulances, resulting in a sudden demand for personal. 2. (Highly unlikely) it goes and we won't need people for a long time. 3. It remains the same, which is most likely.

Class 3 will be April.....Don't know numbers, or escs, etc. Just the word is April

Hopefully its the rest of us :-)

• Advertisement

derra_121 wrote: »

64 left on panel. There certainly will need to be a class 4. Pat Fleming said should be big class he said lots of retirements next year that was supposed to be this year. Few guys out of class 2 where told class 3 looking like April just like chungwan said !

Grahamfire wrote: »

64 left on panel. There certainly will need to be a class 4. Pat Fleming said should be big class he said lots of retirements next year that was supposed to be this year. Few guys out of class 2 where told class 3 looking like April just like chungwan said !
    Aye but who is to say all 64 accept they could invite everyone if you say it was mentioned about a big class. Who knows... Once they use the full panel Ill be happy

Aye but who is to say all 64 accept they could invite everyone if you say it was mentioned about a big class. Who knows... Once they use the full panel Ill be happy

Don't think there's much worry about it not being used now

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Butter

I don't know the ins and outs but I presume this means your rent allowance is back.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0614/882799-public-sector-pay-allowances/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

For those of you lads in the know and it seems daft asking when the current panel is being used up but do you think the recruitment gap will be 5-6 years or should it be steadier than the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Choppy1916

mojopin10 wrote: »
    For those of you lads in the know and it seems daft asking when the current panel is being used up but do you think the recruitment gap will be 5-6 years or should it be steadier than the last few years?

The amount or rumours are laughable so I doubt anyone knows for sure when the next recruitment will be but as of the last class which passed out Dfb numbers are now full according to union email . Numbers will be reevaluated in September as retirements are due.
    If expected retirements do t happen it'll affect the next class due in .

mojopin10 wrote: »

Can imagine 5-6 years but I have emailed DCC, and TD's, no body seems able to answer, so I am guessing no one is even thinking about it at the moment. So might be best to wait and see.

What things can we do now to put us in a better position for the time that it comes around again?

Actually just got a reply !
    Dear X

There is no date for future recruitment at the moment

regards

Melanie Oliver

Dublin City Council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

TallGlass wrote: »
    Can imagine 5-6 years but I have emailed DCC, and TD's, no body seems able to answer, so I am guessing no one is even thinking about it at the moment. So might be best to wait and see.

What things can we do now to put us in a better position for the time that it comes around again?
    Get active, volunteer. Get yourself involved in events that show your capable of coping under pressure, working as part of a team etc. Whatever you do, dont sit on your ass waiting for it to come and panic when you realise the guy sitting next to you has 10 times the prep work done.

Get active, volunteer. Get yourself involved in events that show your capable of coping under pressure, working as part of a team etc. Whatever you do, dont sit on your ass waiting for it to come and panic when you realise the guy sitting next to you has 10 times the prep work done.

In fairness I understand your point, I do already volunteer as it is in the GR, I was thinking more in terms of certs, that I could put down that I have for example First Aid training, would a C licence look good? That sort of thing.

Also, what events are you mentioning? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

TallGlass wrote: »
    In fairness I understand your point, I do already volunteer as it is in the GR, I was thinking more in terms of certs, that I could put down that I have for example First Aid training, would a C licence look good? That sort of thing.

Also, what events are you mentioning? Cheers.
    I'd go for the C licence alright and its a good talking point in the interview. The thing is you could have a million certs but they seem to value your expierence with what you have done using those skills more so than having the the cert itself.

The interview is competency based. For example: tallglass tell me about a time you had to cope under pressure? Well im a blah blah blah and i sat x y and z course. (That doesnt answer their question) but saying well im a first aider with omac or the civil defence and one time i was stuck on the side of a mountain where someone fell, i used x skills due to my training and i knew we needed to work as a team with the other hikers to help him down to the awaiting ambulance etc etc...

So yeah you can do courses and get certs but my big advice to you is actually use them, get involved in thr community be it football or gaa. Volunteer more with GR and maybe a volunteer service like the CD or OMAC cover lots of events with them and i garantee you will have plenty of examples during the interview to talk about team work, coping under pressure, problem solving and decision making etc...

Yeah, I felt as if the interview last time went well but could have been better alright (well considering I didn't pass :pac:).

I totally understand what you mean about the certs, not much use without backing it up. I kinda mean also, what certs or courses would be good to gain knowledge about questions they may ask.

Like I was asked about Fire EXs, I had a basic idea about them, instead of looking into them before interview I was reading up on other stuff. I suppose I want to be in the best position for when it comes around again. Not just sitting on my hands waiting.

As for other ORGs, I am looking/have registered my interest in joining Blood Bikes and hopefully joining AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭aldub83

Anybody any recent updated info on next class?

Next year

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Hi Grahamfire, you seem to be the guy in the know. Have you heard anything about classes from other brigades going in for training? I know that Galway are on to their final stage in the recruitment process so they must have a class going in and also heard that Limerick intend to use up their panel soon. There's only 8 on the panel for Limerick of which I'm #6 so fingers crossed this is true?

Wouldn't have a clue about any other brigades being honest. Dfb next class is first half of next year and word is be another big class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 blackmark

Don't get too excited. It's annual leave season hence the drop in manning levels and there's training going on. The numbers at the minute are at the 2008 level I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Choppy1916

blackmark wrote: »
    Don't get too excited. It's annual leave season hence the drop in manning levels and there's training going on. The numbers at the minute are at the 2008 level I believe

Exactly there's 50 in obi now doing medic training & as u say there's a lot on leave too.

Advertisement