Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

They where taken on 3 years ago on a temporary contract, when they did 3 years control room service they would become recruit fire fighters. Not leaving anyone 'hanging'

Is there another batch due out from control soon. Would give us idea of next FF class

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr.damo

D_smyth wrote: »
    How is it wrong? If I applied for a position and was successful how is someone who is in a different role more eligible?

Thats just the contract they were offered,do X amount of time in the control room and then a place on the next available recruit class.They haven't done anything wrong and have worked their asses off and deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

D_smyth wrote: »
    But it is... People who applied for the primary position of firefighter and were successful are now being overlooked by people essentially coming in the back door... Just my view of it

Which is wrong and badly informed.

There are 2 routes to be coming a recruit firefighter in DFB.

Firstly, through the Emergency Services Controller (ESC) competition whereby you become an ESC in the ERCC and after approx 3 years enter training as a recruit firefighter.

Secondly, through the recruit firefighter competition whereby you are placed on a panel with no guarantee or entitlement to a job. You will be called for training as required.

If you are indeed on the FF panel you might possibly train alongside some former ESC's who you regard as "back door" merchents. Please be sure to tell them this during training.................it will make you extremely popular

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Is there another batch due out from control soon. Would give us idea of next FF class

A control room class passed out December 2016,I'd say they're the next ones due out.

Excluding the last panel during recession that was scraped. Has anyone heard of previous panels not being extended and used ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Excluding the last panel during recession that was scraped. Has anyone heard of previous panels not being extended and used ?

Don’t think it’s happened before. Plan is for another class next summer from what I’m hearing.
    Has to be said grahamfire, if you didn’t come on here giving away interview questions while interviews were still ongoing, there is a good chance you would be on station now with your feet well and truly under the table and settled into brigade life. Don’t mean that in a mean spirited way I just thought that was a crazy thing for you to do at the time. Keep patient and your turn will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Think the threads taking an unnecessary turn here now, let's keep it for sharing updates on whats happening in the process for those remaining on panel.

Don’t think it’s happened before. Plan is for another class next summer from what I’m hearing.
    Has to be said grahamfire, if you didn’t come on here giving away interview questions while interviews were still ongoing, there is a good chance you would be on station now with your feet well and truly under the table and settled into brigade life. Don’t mean that in a mean spirited way I just thought that was a crazy thing for you to do at the time. Keep patient and your turn will come.
    Must have got you in the door so. If you went to a Fire Brigade interview and didn’t expect to be asked about fire extinguishers you wouldn’t be on the panel anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Must have got you in the door so. If you went to a Fire Brigade interview and didn’t expect to be asked about fire extinguishers you wouldn’t be on the panel anyway.

You actually did. And most of the class were thankful for your help aswell. Anyway best of luck and hopefully see you in station soon.

You actually did. And most of the class were thankful for your help aswell. Anyway best of luck and hopefully see you in station soon.

That’s sound cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

There’s a class of escs whose contract expire October 2018 and the class after have contract to expire October 2019 .

Talk in Dfb is next ff class is next summer including the next 10 esc’s and some ff panel. Nothing will be revealed regarding class size until December or January when budgets are allocated for recruits for 2019.

Class of 26 started in obi today including 10 escs and 16 ff panel.

One person took the control room this year but was on the ff panel too. That person did esc recruit course and spent 1 month in the room and is now in the obi ff class.

To the person who thinks escs are getting in the back door, go in there some day and see how hard a job it is and you’ll soon realise they’ve earned their spot in ff class like everyone else.
    Also some great lads and ladies in there.
    They’ve a 3 year contract and most have had it extended by 6 months.

As said by someone else too , half of your class will consist of escs so let them know what you think of their chosen way in and see how you get on .

There’s two ways in to Dfb.

If the ff panel expires it would be a shame . Dfb need everyone on it so unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

I think some people may have just been getting fustrated, It's such a long wait. Like one of the guys said let's keep it to updates and info. There definatly seems to be a few posters in here that know what's happening and your info is really appreciated please keep it up.

I am at the latter end of the panel. In the 140s I really really hope it's next year.

Fire1985 wrote: »
    There’s a class of escs whose contract expire October 2018 and the class after have contract to expire October 2019 .

Talk in Dfb is next ff class is next summer including the next 10 esc’s and some ff panel. Nothing will be revealed regarding class size until December or January when budgets are allocated for recruits for 2019.

Class of 26 started in obi today including 10 escs and 16 ff panel.

One person took the control room this year but was on the ff panel too. That person did esc recruit course and spent 1 month in the room and is now in the obi ff class.

To the person who thinks escs are getting in the back door, go in there some day and see how hard a job it is and you’ll soon realise they’ve earned their spot in ff class like everyone else.
    Also some great lads and ladies in there.
    They’ve a 3 year contract and most have had it extended by 6 months.

As said by someone else too , half of your class will consist of escs so let them know what you think of their chosen way in and see how you get on .

There’s two ways in to Dfb.

If the ff panel expires it would be a shame . Dfb need everyone on it so unlikely.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

The whole recruitment process is a shambles to be honest.

You do the exams and the interviews, they tell you that you have a place and then they give you no more information for 2 years unless you hound them.

The process needs to be looked at and updated.

hunter164 wrote: »
    The whole recruitment process is a shambles to be honest.

You do the exams and the interviews, they tell you that you have a place and then they give you no more information for 2 years unless you hound them.

The process needs to be looked at and updated.

I agree totally. It’s painful waiting and only relying on info on boards.ie is annoying, But the problem and reason behind never hearing a word until they need you is they don’t know what’s going on themselves most of the time. It’s all DFB fighting with dcc for budgets and that’s all it is.

It is a shambles and when you get in you’ll see . Every day is a new rumour and nobody really knows anything.

The one thing that’s said is don’t believe anything you hear until you’ve the letter in your hand because it changes every month as to when the next class is .

I agree totally. It’s painful waiting and only relying on info on boards.ie is annoying, But the problem and reason behind never hearing a word until they need you is they don’t know what’s going on themselves most of the time. It’s all DFB fighting with dcc for budgets and that’s all it is.

It is a shambles and when you get in you’ll see . Every day is a new rumour and nobody really knows anything.

The one thing that’s said is don’t believe anything you hear until you’ve the letter in your hand because it changes every month as to when the next class is .

Be easier if they made smaller panels more frequently so nobody is lingering waiting. Pat Fleming has left but he agreed in principal and DCC management that this panel is very likely to be extended by 12-24 months.

Be easier if they made smaller panels more frequently so nobody is lingering waiting. Pat Fleming has left but he agreed in principal and DCC management that this panel is very likely to be extended by 12-24 months.

It costs too much to recruit so that’ll never happen. When they get a chance they recruit as many as possible.

Panel will definitely be used up . Job is still down numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I hear what you’re saying but it’s not hard to send a letter out to people on the panel letting them know when a class had been called and how many have gone in. Just a general update instead of nothing.

5th July is the DCC emergency services meeting.
    Motion is being put in for panel extension.
    This meeting should shed some official info for remaining panelists and recruitment plans for next year could be discussed.

Can be watched live on DCC website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Very quiet here the last few days.....must be a lot of tired posters rolling out hose in 30° heat ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Off topic but how good a swimmer do you need to be for DFB?

eire1 wrote: »
    Off topic but how good a swimmer do you need to be for DFB?

Not required but helps . During training everyone does some river training

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jpm_24

Anyone catch the full meeting today on the Fire/Ambulance Service and Emergency Management.
    I only managed to see some of it as was working.
    Supposed to be a motion in relation to the firefighter panel.

Jpm_24 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the full meeting today on the Fire/Ambulance Service and Emergency Management.
    I only managed to see some of it as was working.
    Supposed to be a motion in relation to the firefighter panel.

I did. Motion passed to extend panel by 18 months passed. However DCC management not present to confirm.

I did. Motion passed to extend panel by 18 months passed. However DCC management not present to confirm.

That’s good news. We probably won’t know till end of year so about class next year and if there is one the numbers. I thought maybe that might get a mention today as well

Jpm_24 wrote: »
    That’s good news. We probably won’t know till end of year so about class next year and if there is one the numbers. I thought maybe that might get a mention today as well

Class planned for jan/feb

You wouldn't have a link to watch that by any chance?

Fr.damo wrote: »
    You wouldn't have a link to watch that by any chance?

https://dublincity.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcasts

It’s not available yet thought but should be later on

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

Grahamfire wrote:
    Class planned for jan/feb

A class in Jan/Feb and extending the panel by 18 months must mean they are gonna split the remainder of the panel into 2 classes

• Advertisement

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    A class in Jan/Feb and extending the panel by 18 months must mean they are gonna split the remainder of the panel into 2 classes

Hoping to use remaining panelists in next class depending what DCC management allow

Advertisement