Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr.damo

Jpm_24 wrote: »
    Is there an emergency services meeting tomorrow oct 11th? I remember the previous meeting that was held on extending the panel, someone mentioned next meeting was oct 11th?

Next meeting is Thursday 7th November,i emailed a Cllr about the meeting and got this reply " The next meeting is on Thursday 7th November and I've asked for the Panel and Training to be put as an item on the agenda so it can be formally addressed. I should have an update this week on where things stand so will forward details on once I have them."

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jpm_24

Fr.damo wrote: »
    Next meeting is Thursday 7th November,i emailed a Cllr about the meeting and got this reply " The next meeting is on Thursday 7th November and I've asked for the Panel and Training to be put as an item on the agenda so it can be formally addressed. I should have an update this week on where things stand so will forward details on once I have them."
    Thanks for that. I just visited the DCC website and seen it’s on at 1.30pm Thursday week.
    Hopefully we will know where we stand after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

The panel will 100% be used. The talk is a class in April to use the remaining persons. It's been a long wait but hang in there and keep yourself fit and healthy for medical and cpat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1101/1008083-dublin-fire-brigade-halloween/
    Dublin Fire Brigade has admitted that fire appliances had to be withdrawn from service on Halloween due to staff shortages, despite it being one of the busiest nights of the year for fires and accidents.

It comes as firefighters responded to hundreds of calls last night, with more than 900 calls made in Leinster alone.

Earlier, SIPTU Organiser Brendan O'Brien said that at around 6pm, a shortage of three officers and 16 firefighters resulted in three appliances being withdrawn from service for a period in Dolphin's Barn, Donnybrook and Blanchardstown.

He said that members had also informed him that at 7.30pm, after the overtime list had been exhausted, there was still a shortage of two officers and 11 firefighters.

As a result, one of the appliances in Dolphin's Barn was withdrawn from service for the whole shift.

Mr O'Brien claimed that last night's staff shortages also resulted in several DFB operational appliances being under-crewed, placing both the public and firefighters at increased risk.

He alleged that workers had been thoroughly let down by their own management, who had not yet addressed chronic understaffing in the fire service.

In a statement to RTÉ, Dublin Fire Brigade said that while staffing numbers are currently at agreed levels, "... on a number of occasions including last night the desired operational crewing levels are not achieved".

It said that a negotiated joint union-management staffing arrangement is in place to help ensure full staffing at all times, including supplementing vacancies via non-compulsory overtime.

However, the statement says that occasionally "... full crewing levels may not be achieved because of non-availability of personnel on overtime".

In such cases, agreed processes permit the temporary withdrawal of certain appliances.

The statement continues: "This action while infrequent is regrettable and is managed to reduce the impact to a minimum."

It is understood that a talks process at the Workplace Relations Commission on appropriate staffing levels is due to get under way shortly, while a class of new recruits is currently undergoing training and will soon be available to supplement existing operational crew.

DFB has also stressed that it did not issue misleading information about the availability of services last night, and is investigating the source of media reports indicating that the full fleet of 21 appliances and 137 firefighters was operational last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Escs got emails so looking positive for a ff class April/ May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Jimjimdd

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed.
    Looking forward to the outcome of the meeting Thursday put a few minds at ease!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Conair79

Jimjimdd wrote: »
    Fingers crossed.
    Looking forward to the outcome of the meeting Thursday put a few minds at ease!
    Panel is still active. The meeting isnt really important as far as i can see. 10 plus the rest of the panel hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Received this today off a Cllr closely involved with DFB.

There are 2 panels in place. An ESC (Emergencies Control Panel) and FF panel. The ESC panel will be exhausted in a class in January and the panel of 44 FF, an undecided number of people will be taken from this panel in April. The decision on the numbers will depend on the number of retirements and decisions such as the ongoing ambulance issue and manning discussions underway between management and unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scubasteve2017

Grahamfire wrote: »

There are 2 panels in place. An ESC (Emergencies Control Panel) and FF panel. The ESC panel will be exhausted in a class in January and the panel of 44 FF, an undecided number of people will be taken from this panel in April. The decision on the numbers will depend on the number of retirements and decisions such as the ongoing ambulance issue and manning discussions underway between management and unions.

still 24 firefighter's to do ambo course , rumour for them is jan/feb there 2 years overdue,, which is 12 weeks long after that done deffo bringing in everybody on remainder of that panel came from a d/o today

still 24 firefighter's to do ambo course , rumour for them is jan/feb there 2 years overdue,, which is 12 weeks long after that done deffo bringing in everybody on remainder of that panel came from a d/o today

• Advertisement

Theres only 40 left on the FF panel

Conair79 wrote: »
    Theres only 40 left on the FF panel

Yeah they said they where calling up to 116 before the class in June. However HR have said panel is sitting in 120s. Some people must have refused offer or failed med or CPAT ?

They may only use 20 from ff panel plus the 10 escs . Same as the current class in obi. Then the remaining 20 will start training end of next year with more escs .

They may only use 20 from ff panel plus the 10 escs . Same as the current class in obi. Then the remaining 20 will start training end of next year with more escs .

I’d say that would be highly likely. Either that or class of 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

If the ESC panel is due to be exhausted in the newyear, going forward were DCC continuing with the ESC recruitment following onto FF after their time in the control room or was that scrapped for additional campaigns with it being solely FF recruitment?

If their's still uncertainty with staffing level's and the remainder of the panel looking like they will get their shot next year, you could take a guess at a new recruitment campaign in 2020 for anyone on the sidelines, unless they go the ESC route when they might run a recruitment mid next year

5500 wrote: »
    If the ESC panel is due to be exhausted in the newyear, going forward were DCC continuing with the ESC recruitment following onto FF after their time in the control room or was that scrapped for additional campaigns with it being solely FF recruitment?

If their's still uncertainty with staffing level's and the remainder of the panel looking like they will get their shot next year, you could take a guess at a new recruitment campaign in 2020 for anyone on the sidelines, unless they go the ESC route when they might run a recruitment mid next year

Apparently they’re recruiting for escs again in the new year as this is the last class that’s starting in January

ACFO confirmed april in station yesterday for new f/f recruit class , not exactly sure on number as escs be in class and max number can be train is 48

ACFO confirmed april in station yesterday for new f/f recruit class , not exactly sure on number as escs be in class and max number can be train is 48

Just watched meeting. Confirmed FF class mid April. Numbers undertermined

That's good news anyway! On the other hand i spent a fortune on a holiday to America in April when do you reckon we'll get word from dcc so I can cancel that bad boy early enough to get some money back! Haha

Jimjimdd wrote: »
    That's good news anyway! On the other hand i spent a fortune on a holiday to America in April when do you reckon we'll get word from dcc so I can cancel that bad boy early enough to get some money back! Haha

Hoping med and phys are flexible as I’ve stuff booked for Jan and February ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jpm_24

Great news that’s it definitely down for a class April.
    Is it the usual 10 from the control room starting training in April does anyone know?
    Also for anyone that doesn’t get called, is the panel extended past March? Never heard it mentioned.

Is it the usual 10 from the control room starting training in April does anyone know?
    Also for anyone that doesn’t get called, is the panel extended past March? Never heard it mentioned.

There’s only 8 escs going out .

It’s very very possible it’s full remaining panel I’ve been told. From very reliable source

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

It’s very very possible it’s full remaining panel I’ve been told. From very reliable source

I am praying for this to happen. Its so hard not to get the hopes up. I am at the end of the panel so if they split it I will be disappointed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭DuckyFuzz

derra_121 wrote: »
    I am praying for this to happen. Its so hard not to get the hopes up. I am at the end of the panel so if they split it I will be disappointed :(

Same here. Seems like a good chunk of the 44 left are on this thread! It'd be a killer if it was a small class & panel not extended. But hopefully that's unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

It’s been a long time coming!

DuckyFuzz wrote: »
    Same here. Seems like a good chunk of the 44 left are on this thread! It'd be a killer if it was a small class & panel not extended. But hopefully that's unlikely

Apparently they’re going with one big class . But the only issue I see is 44 ff left plus the 8 escs is too many for a class . 48/50 is the maximum class size

Apparently they’re going with one big class . But the only issue I see is 44 ff left plus the 8 escs is too many for a class . 48/50 is the maximum class size

Theres only 40 left on the panel

• Advertisement

Conair79 wrote: »

Thats what i taught I was told the panel sits at 120 but it was said in the meeting there's 44 maybe some lads deferred a class

Advertisement