Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Panel of 150

Fabulous odds, 1/3 chance basically. Odds are normally greater than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Fabulous odds, 1/3 chance basically. Odds are normally greater than that.

Ye great odds , hard to know how many classes they’ll do because there’s still a good few escs to get out

Ye great odds , hard to know how many classes they’ll do because there’s still a good few escs to get out

I thought this was for the role of firefighter. Will they use it to fill ESC positions also? What if the people on the panel don't want ESC as it's a firefighter position advertised. I thought there was a separate ESC competition later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

I thought this was for the role of firefighter. Will they use it to fill ESC positions also? What if the people on the panel don't want ESC as it's a firefighter position advertised. I thought there was a separate ESC competition later this year.

He means there are still those ESC’s waiting to go into firefighter training

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

happy2help wrote: »
    Would love to know this one myself, start rounding up all the old certs.

Education certificates are not normally required until job is offered

• Advertisement

Tardis wrote: »
    Education certificates are not normally required until job is offered

Incorrect, you must provide proof with your application, I've been here before. They won't interview anyone unless you have the relevant qualifications. You will be asked to provide original with your CV.

Ye it’s a firefighter position but there’s 3 classes of escs currently in the dfb control room . A batch of upto 10 escs will join each firefighter class . They’ll take between 30-40 off the ff panel for each class and fill the rest of the class up with escs from the control room .

There’s 10 escs going into the first firefighter recruit class in May .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Rob_1990

what are the chances they'll need more people to interview? e.g. people not accepting the invite or people not 100% interested in the career

Rob_1990 wrote: »
    what are the chances they'll need more people to interview? e.g. people not accepting the invite or people not 100% interested in the career

Very slim I'd imagine. Seems crazy that you pass the aptitude but get forgotten about, but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

When they say application form wonder will it be a competency based application form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Can't believe i got through, PTSD kicked in during the maths in the aptitudes 😮

Application form is going to be some Craic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

There will be a few large deep breaths if I see the words, 'Please describe in 500 words or less...'

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    There will be a few large deep breaths if I see the words, 'Please describe in 500 words or less...'

Dread them questions know a few lads on the job asking about application form they seem to think this is a new thing with it been so detailed

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

TallGlass2 wrote: »

I imagine this is exactly what it will be for the interviewers to base their line of questioning off

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

I imagine this is exactly what it will be for the interviewers to base their line of questioning off

It'll be asking for examples of scenarios you've been in and how you dealt with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcdonnc5

Hi I have just found this thread, I've gotten through to interview stage. How many people do you think are being brought for interview? I'm a midwife but have always wanted to be a firefighter! This process is nerve wracking!

Mcdonnc5 wrote: »
    Hi I have just found this thread, I've gotten through to interview stage. How many people do you think are being brought for interview? I'm a midwife but have always wanted to be a firefighter! This process is nerve wracking!

500 for interview if you read the previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hoopy1888

Shamrock12 wrote: »
    You made it pal well done

Cheers :)

Royal87 wrote: »
    When they say application form wonder will it be a competency based application form

Quite possibly, it’s been done before for other fulltime brigades. They send you the competency questions and you’ve to fill them in and send it back . I’ve done it before and put massive effort into the answers only for the interview board to not ask 1 question about them.

If I was anyone going for interview I’d start the competency answers now if you haven’t already , just incase they want the application form back before Christmas with competency answers on them .

I’d hazard a guess at Medical in late February early March . Physical tests late March early April .
    Class start in obi in May .

I scored in the early 400 mark was told if i was successful i would be waiting a while to start training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

You need to forget your score at the moment as it will all change again after the interviews. You will be given a final placing in order of merit that will be the only number which will matter regards when your starting fire training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

I scored in the early 400 mark was told if i was successful i would be waiting a while to start training

by who?

as reddington says, you need to forget about that score for now. If you score well at interview and make up on the other 70 marks available, you potentially could end up no. 1 on the final order of merit.

still, a lot of variables and marks to play for!

It’s down for May/June in the obi for 1st class .

You’ll need to be in top 40 On the panel to be in first class .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mcdonnc5

500 for interview if you read the previous posts.

Thank you :)
    Ranked in top 50 so just wondering how many people I'll be up against at interview. Although order of merit means nothing at this stage 😫😫 Reading way back from the last competition the interviews seemed intense!! First time doing this so delighted to find this thread

You're in competition with 499 other people now. Interviews are extremely technical, that was my experience previously. I didn't like their interview techniques at all. But everyone will have a different experience. I have failed three interviews for the job. I'm sure people who passed will have a more positive experience. But regardless you'll need to do your groundwork. Order of merit does have some bearing this time but how you do at interview is ultimately the big deal. In my current job I was 150 on order of merit before interview, after interview I was placed number two on panel. So you can move massively in either direction based on your performance at interview. Good luck.

Technical?? As in technical type questions like how does a piece of equipment / machine work? Did aer corp interview few years back it was like that

Technical?? As in technical type questions like how does a piece of equipment / machine work? Did aer corp interview few years back it was like that

They asked about fire extinguishers last time & b.a cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

reddington wrote: »
    You need to forget your score at the moment as it will all change again after the interviews. You will be given a final placing in order of merit that will be the only number which will matter regards when your starting fire training

Well I wouldn't go forgetting it now to be honest! I do get what you mean however, order of merit at this point means very little. However, your over all score/percentage overall does very much matter.

As we can see below, 30 points are awarded to your scoring on stage 2.

By working out your average % mark out of stage 2 overall, ,for example if you got a total of 50% at stage 2 then your points for stage 2 is now 15 marks of out 30 for stage two.

Criterion % of Marks -
    Marks achieved in Stage 2 test/assessment 30
    Formal education attainment/ relevant qualifications 10
    Relevant work/other experience 10

Competencies (marks awarded at interview)
    Motivation to be a Firefighter 10
    Dealing with People 10
    Coping with Difficult Situations 10
    Adaptability and Willingness to Learn 10
    Effective Communication Skills 10
    Total 100

From the above you basically have a chance to 50 marks before even seeing inside an interview room.

I think they are been fair to everyone really with the above point distribution.

They asked about fire extinguishers last time & b.a cylinders.

Guess really that be interesting

Anyone got application form yet?
    I presume it by sent via email?

• Advertisement

Just got email with application form

Advertisement