Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

DePaste wrote: »
    Well that’s great news for all of us then. That alone shows the lack of research done by some. If you can’t get your appearance right then god only knows how many didn’t do actual interview research. Our chances are looking up

True i was really annoyed how much research i done but wasnt needed. I tryed to steer it my way by letting them i had researched DFB

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Why would you go to the effort of getting as far as interview to not turn out well for it?

Your underselling yourself right off the bat.

Like there is nothing wrong with showing up with a beard and jeans, however I think they'd be expecting, clean shaven, suited and shoes at a minimum.

Even when I was at a station, the DO said to me to make sure I shaved for it, as I was unshaven at the time. I said I usually am clean shaven.

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Why would you go to the effort of getting as far as interview to not turn out well for it?

Your underselling yourself right off the bat.

Like there is nothing wrong with showing up with a beard and jeans, however I think they'd be expecting, clean shaven, suited and shoes at a minimum.

Even when I was at a station, the DO said to me to make sure I shaved for it, as I was unshaven at the time. I said I usually am clean shaven.

Yea same i was asked by a station officer what colour suit you wearing at the time i had a black suit to wear he said wear blue thought he was taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DePaste

But then imagine they asked you something and you got completely stumped by it and looked like you hadn’t done your homework. They asked me about 10% of what I studied. You know yourself fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Royal87 wrote: »
    Yea same i was asked by a station officer what colour suit you wearing at the time i had a black suit to wear he said wear blue thought he was taking the piss

I went with black as I have a navy suit, I thought the navy was too bright really and didn't have cash for new one. I felt I turned out well for the interview. I can't imagine ever showing up for an interview in jeans, in fact your nearly advise someone if they didn't want the job to go in jeans, runners and a hoody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 R9238

Yea i heard some people mad no effort like its common sense to wear a suit. I say these lads did themselves no favours. Unless they knew the interview panel lol

Feel like it puts you on the back foot straight away

I was told the same by an SO to shave so I did it. I was also told in two stations to be In a navy suit. I don’t think it would really matter on the colour but I just think it shows the right impression and shows right off the bat you have done your homework. But to not turn up in suit is almost laughable. You would want to have done a perfect interview cause you can be damn sure they are going to grill you.

But then imagine they asked you something and you got completely stumped by it and looked like you hadn’t done your homework. They asked me about 10% of what I studied. You know yourself fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

True! I found the stations visits really good. Went to one where a friend works, was extremely impressed with the setup. So even if I don't get a place was good to learn about it. The thing with the research was that for the DFB questions, I could answer the questions in the language they used. Like Districts. Alpha Bravo etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dooj

Did they ask you all the competencies. I found it very relaxed bit too relaxed they were very nice and had a laugh with them but i u over think alot

definitely no laughing had with my panel. Very serious poker faces.

Also hearing good few girls went for interview and they have to take on at least 10 % felmale recruits

On another note know people who went for interview and if they are successful but have to wait till next year they will withdraw from competition

• Advertisement

True! I found the stations visits really good. Went to one where a friend works, was extremely impressed with the setup. So even if I don't get a place was good to learn about it. The thing with the research was that for the DFB questions, I could answer the questions in the language they used. Like Districts. Alpha Bravo etc..

Yeah exactly! Using the language alone makes a difference. I went and learned history and who pays them etc. Doing your due diligence is key. I found really interesting and I loved the atmosphere. Definitely made me want it more

Also hearing good few girls went for interview and they have to take on at least 10 % felmale recruits

On another note know people who went for interview and if they are successful but have to wait till next year they will withdraw from competition

Statistically you've a higher change of not been this year! Fairly annoying if someone like myself doesn't mind waiting, is knocked off by someone will to call it a day due to time waiting! It is what it is I suppose. Just try convince them otherwise!

Yep true! I’d be happy to wait a few years if it be the case. I’m in no rush. So it depends on the person. Also a lot of people drop out when they find out the starting salary and can’t afford to take a drop

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dooj

The reason they want to know will lads shave is basic FF. Anyone who done their research will know, BA work on a seal around your face, beards dont allow for a solid seal. Also one of the main points in the job spec was its a uniformed job can you deal with being told how to dress and how your appearance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgod83

I was asked what station I went to , I start given the numbers to the station and the SO told me not the bother with them just give me the names

Yeah I say you ticked the boxes for him, shows you researched.

Did the interviews finish Friday or some other day last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JTH80

The colour of your suit won’t make a difference.
    Not being in a suit will make a difference.
    Not being clean shaven will make a difference.
    Having a body piercing on show/not taken out will make a difference.
    Wouldn’t worry about getting no jokes/ laughs out of your interview board. That would just depend on the personality of the officers interviewing you so don’t worry.
    Best of luck to everyone.

JTH80 wrote: »
    The colour of your suit won’t make a difference.
    Not being in a suit will make a difference.
    Not being clean shaven will make a difference.
    Having a body piercing on show/not taken out will make a difference.
    Wouldn’t worry about getting no jokes/ laughs out of your interview board. That would just depend on the personality of the officers interviewing you so don’t worry.
    Best of luck to everyone.

You could be right but when you have DO & SO telling you in station visits must be some truth in it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JTH80

You could be right but when you have DO & SO telling you in station visits must be some truth in it

Nah. If you do a good interview you do a good interview. Black, blue or brown suit won’t make a difference.
    A few lads on station visits had mentioned it that it was said to them and it’s the first I’ve ever heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgod83

Nah. If you do a good interview you do a good interview. Black, blue or brown suit won’t make a difference.
    A few lads on station visits had mentioned it that it was said to them and it’s the first I’ve ever heard of it!

A DO told me to wear a black suit and Navy tie, so the colour of your suit obviously doesn't matter it was just their preference

• Advertisement

Are you currently in the fire brigade? If so do you know anything about panel numbers or when we can expect our results?

Result are out im in thank the lord

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Welcome to the gang! :D

kingstevii wrote: »
    Welcome to the gang! :D

You get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭DuckyFuzz

Holy smokes that was quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

You get it

About 20 years ago! Yea! :D

Well lads. No joy. Phek it anyway. I thought I might have pushed myself over the mark, knew myself from interview.

Disappointed.

Yep same here didn’t get it. Very disappointed. Also you have to apply for the feedback and it could takes weeks according to mail

What number did you finish on the panel?

• Advertisement

Yep same here didn’t get it. Very disappointed. Also you have to apply for the feedback and it could takes weeks according to mail

Yeah. I dunno, just didn't click with the panel. Even got a C licence and everything to improve my chances along with first aid course, manual handling anything to improve my chances. Dunno if I be bothered applying again. My character obviously isn't suited to the job if three people now from DFB rejected the application.

Advertisement