Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Know someone in 900's and got no mail. I'm in early 1400's so raging about that!! Hopefully they take on more after, fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Starting salary is about 21,000 circa but with shift allowance it bulks it up alot! The recruitment process will ideally want firefighters who were in the top 1000 not down in the ranks of 2000 and lower.

I doubt they will test more than 2000, and even that figure is unlikely. But again a big part in all this is how many of the top guys actually had assistance with the Maths and English. That could determine how low they go on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

But again a big part in all this is how many of the top guys actually had assistance with the Maths and English. That could determine how low they go on the ladder.

What do you mean by assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

megabantz wrote: »
    check your mails boys and girls! round 2 is a go! 5 tests including the maths from last time!

Well done megabantz, I've probably no hope of been called for next round but out of interest what are the 5 tests?

Anyone could have had someone do those tests for them to ensure they pass. Or a combined effort, it was also possible to have someone google formulas etc. There will be alot of inconsistencies. It was also possible to take a screenshot of every question and drill the answers after the testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 farmer x

Know someone in 900's and got no mail. I'm in early 1400's so raging about that!! Hopefully they take on more after, fingers crossed!!

I'm just over 800 no messages . :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Is no one concerned about the video observations? I stand corrected my friend placed mid 500's being tested Monday 18th. Trust me 1000 will be retested.

I did one of these tests before and scored very high in it.

How I prepared was when watching TV, I made sure to observe the colour of the walls, the number of people in a scene, the colour of their clothes, any other distinctive features etc. Two mins later, I would practice at recalling it.

Additionally prior to the exam, I did a lot of aptitude tests etc. While not all were of the same type that I later faced, they focused my brain and ensured I was sharper in the actual exam.

I'd recommend any brain train apps as good preparation. I find Peak to be good, but use such apps in addition to, rather than in place of preparing for the exact type of test you will be facing.

That's just how I found I was best prepared, others may be different. Best of luck to all taking the test

Edit: I never did a test prep course as they were full. I did however speak to the guy who ran <mod snip> when trying to get on a course. He couldn't help as I was too late calling, but spent a few minutes giving me advise on the test, and advising how best to prepare. I've no idea how good his course is, but certainly the guy running it was genuinely helpful despite me not being a customer

farmer x wrote: »
    I'm just over 800 no messages . :-(

No way? Now im really confused. I have to admit i did expect more people saying they got the email, and this must be why. If they havent invited 800 people to the second round im now guessing they are going to bring more through in stages. So depending on how the next round goes they will bring more forward from the pool. I wouldn't get bummed out yet Farmer x. You dont have it in writing that your out of the competition so sit tight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

5500 wrote: »
    Just talking to a mate early 700s and he didn't get a mail or text today and nothing in his public jobs account either.

What's the reasoning behind no initial ems training and how will that fare out in the probation or post probation period?

It's been done several times before. It's just to get lads out operational as soon as possible

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    No way? Now im really confused. I have to admit i did expect more people saying they got the email, and this must be why. If they havent invited 800 people to the second round im now guessing they are going to bring more through in stages. So depending on how the next round goes they will bring more forward from the pool. I wouldn't get bummed out yet Farmer x. You dont have it in writing that your out of the competition so sit tight

Oh i know . Just thought they would have at least brought back 1000 through this stage

• Advertisement

didnt we all, im all out of ideas now. i think all of my guesses have been proven wrong tonight!

so to recap here is what we "Think" we know.

- No more than 700 have been invited to round 2 (So far)
    - Nobody has said they have been called to round 2 before or after the 13th -16th
    - We do know some have said that they are in at 8:30am and others are 11:45am

anything else?

I spoke with publicjobs on the phone prior to these results coming out, and they said they were unsure how many to call to stage 2! Which explained the hold up. They will certainly hope to recruit the immediate 66 recruits from high scoring positions on stage one and two which is the aptitude, otherwise why place any emphasis on the aptitude placements at all.

I personally think testing us twice is nonsense as it doesn't always weed out the cheats. it would be easier to just test us all once in a supervised capacity that way they know they got the best on the day, with no way to cheat, but we know that finances are the reason they don't test 7000 applicants now in a room, back in the day they would have. This is far from a fool proof process.

Even the personality testing it is very easy to beat those tests by saying what they want to hear so how do they determine your personality and they certainly do not guarantee them recruiting the right candidate, those tests can be bluffed which makes a mockery of that stage.

I spoke with publicjobs on the phone prior to these results coming out, and they said they were unsure how many to call to stage 2! Which explained the hold up. They will certainly hope to recruit the immediate 66 recruits from high scoring positions on stage one and two which is the aptitude, otherwise why place any emphasis on the aptitude placements at all.

I personally think testing us twice is nonsense as it doesn't always weed out the cheats. it would be easier to just test us all once in a supervised capacity that way they know they got the best on the day, with no way to cheat, but we know that finances are the reason they don't test 7000 applicants now in a room, back in the day they would have. This is far from a fool proof process.

Even the personality testing it is very easy to beat those tests by saying what they want to hear so how do they determine your personality and they certainly do not guarantee them recruiting the right candidate, those tests can be bluffed which makes a mockery of that stage.

Its completely geared towards saving money. apparently the last recruitment cost €200k.

I wonder will they create the panel form the first 600-700 and go back and draw from the other as time is required? either way i think using previous competitions as a guideline just went out the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Just out of curiosity, why do YOU want to join the DFB?

Cause sure as **** you will be asked if you're lucky enough to eat to the interview stage

Chungwun wrote: »

Cause sure as **** you will be asked if you're lucky enough to eat to the interview stage

cos i heard the pension is great :rolleyes:

Its completely geared towards saving money. apparently the last recruitment cost €200k.

I wonder will they create the panel form the first 600-700 and go back and draw from the other as time is required? either way i think using previous competitions as a guideline just went out the window

I'll say this . If it is only 700 or so getting through then that's some cull from nearly 8000 and still do more tests . . Seems a little unfair but it would have been nice if it was all made a little clearer by the pas!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Chungwun wrote: »

Just want to slide down the pole!

farmer x wrote: »
    I'll say this . If it is only 700 or so getting through then that's some cull from nearly 8000 and still do more tests . . Seems a little unfair but it would have been nice if it was all made a little clearer by the pas!

does anyone else not get the impression they are winging it? DFB threatened strike and a week later a a recruitment was announced. DCC website did not even mention the recruitment on the main website. I know because i checked. I seems like the whole thing is being decided as its being done. Im not running anyone down its merely an observation. But it would explain the lack of answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

There is most definitely an element of 'rush job' about all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

I have gone through the guards, dublin airport fire and now DFB and they ALL are very secretive with little or no information given out. Its done for a reason - you get information eventually but the problem lies in the likes of this forum where speculation and guessing messes with peoples heads as really nobody bar PAS and DFB HR and senior management know the state of play and we are all guilty of it as its hard not to think about and guess the next move.

Another thing, PAS didn't just pop up yesterday and decide to wing this, they are around for years and have done much larger competitions such as the guards so they know what they are doing. There are plenty of reasons why its broken down into stages and why the type of tests are picked etc its not just them trying to wing it.

The last thing is people say aptitude tests are unfair but thats how it has always been and will be for some time into the future. The tests are designed to test peoples aptitude and the system in place tries where possible to offer a fair competition but you will get people cheating but out of 7000 how many do you think didn't get help! Of all my friends who applied and I think we all know plenty who applied it appears the friends who did the best were people who have done plenty of these aptitudes recently (guards, airport, military etc) so they are used to them and these guys didn't need to cheat so it's all down to how much work you put in and how bad you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

There is most definitely an element of 'rush job' about all of it.

This was due to the point blank refusal of the city manager to listen to reason over the last few years and to implement a normal, steady recruitment strategy which would maintain the correct and safe staff numbers. He pinned his hopes on slashing manning levels, offloading the ambulance service and various other schemes to run DFB into the ground.

This came back to bite him when the staff decided to go on strike to ensure the people who live in Dublin have a safe, properly staffed service. He got his hole kicked in the WRC and the result is the panicked recruitment which must have recruits in place by the summer. This doesn't mean to say that the recruitment process is flawed. 7 months is adequate time to set up a recruit panel and as has been said before the PAC are well versed in these campaigns.

No medical training during recruit training is a direct result of the panic to get more firefighters operational as soon as possible. Recruits will return at a later stage to do their paramedic course. Hopefully we will not get to a stage again wereby the training center does not see a recruit course for 4 or 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

Out of interest what is the highest number we know has received a call up for stage 2? Highest I know is just under 500

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

Im early 700s and havent heard anything ... yet ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭db76

so to recap here is what we "Think" we know.

- No more than 700 have been invited to round 2 (So far)
    - Nobody has said they have been called to round 2 before or after the 13th -16th
    - We do know some have said that they are in at 8:30am and others are 11:45am

anything else?
    I placed in the 0-50 range, called back for Wed 13th @10am:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I'm around the 600's and got a call.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I'm around the 600's and got a call.

Sorry Blacktie when did you get your call ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Can we move dates? Anyone done it yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Jim Royle wrote: »
    Sorry Blacktie when did you get your call ??

I'm on the low end of 600's and am called for 8:30 on Tuesday 19th. Got the email yesterday.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone to public jobs and they have called 670, have a bad feelin thats all they will call (as I was early 700 on list)

Advertisement