Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

But if you think about it it's very easy to pass first two rounds, you recruit someone you know who is excellent at aptitudes and you do it together at home, you have a third person photo every question without distracting you, you find out you passed stage 1 and are now placed in the top 670, you get recalled to stage 2 and now you are armed with every single question that will pop up, you develop either a memory system of a,b,c,d etc or put little dots on your hand or something, you ace stage 2 even better than stage one, all of a sudden your at interview then, almost there then with family connections etc are sure piece of cake!

PAS always look for feedback and if the testing is the same I will be saying exactly what I have said here. But you are right it is what it is.

I agree with you but so far everyone has complained about the system but nobody has provided a cost effective solution.

They will never be 100% bulletproof with fairness sure all one had to do was register every family member they wanted and BOOM they now have X amount of aptitudes sitting there for them to practice!

It's never gonna be a complete fool proof system but its as good as it can get i think - cost effective is key, putting 7000 pople in corke park is not gonna be an option ever again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Never thought of registering every family member!!! Jesus it's a minefield!! Only benefit to registering every member is you can practice the questions but it's still your score that matters as ID is required at the retest.

It's very hard to cheat in a supervised once off test, this repeating stage one is a joke, but your right 7000 in Croker won't ever happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

ok firstly that a big reach for something to happen, it would also include you having to know the answers to get through to stage 2. You did stage 1, would you have had time to confer with someone else to get an answer? I wouldnt have if im honest. I read clicked and barely got the last questions finished before the time was done. And i scored between 100 and 150. and scored triple the basic level in nearly all rounds. even if someone took screen shots of all the questions they will not come up in exactly the same form. there will be small changes for example the numeracy ?+?=7 will not come back up but will be similarly easy. the same with the reading passages i seriously doubt will be exactly the same,

A) what your suggesting would be nearly impossible to reproduce in real life.
    B) if you are that determined to get the job it would be easier to just go and learn it and practice

if someone did manage to do that and get through to get a job i personally would have to congratulate them for their ability to make the process work for them

just my opinion though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    Yes it would be a good cost saving exercise and a great use of carrot and stick method. do this job until the other comes up etc.

Just to note the call taker position is only a 12 month contract and the salary is very low, im guessing a lot of people who have financial commitments would have difficulty taking this job on that basis.

670 is a very low number and far less than i expected to go through. I can guarantee anyone who got through to the next round will be delighted that the number are low. I imagine that people that did not get through to round 2 yet will be called on later should they need people.

First calls in the OBI Starts 25th of January i think for the internal recruitment now its usually a 26 week course but take off 12 weeks for the Paramedic exam then its say 14 weeks . that would mean they would finish around first week in May leaving the first class of recruits to go in after that. meaning 2nd class of new recruits could be November 2016.

My guess will be a panel of 250. 50 per class making around 5 classes over maybe over a 3 year period. thats just my guess but i have been wrong before

Said it a few times here. The 2nd class will be starting the end of May its 3rd pencilled in for November

As I said earlier I doubt they will be worded the exact same but may well be, if they aren't then my point is null and void if they are then it is relevant, I personally was not pressed for time on any test bar the applied maths I missed one I think, so conferring is possible if ye are both bright sparks.

I didn't even score the average score on the personality test yet I tripled as you said almost everything else! The personality test was supposedly the easiest, out of curiosity are you suppose to click all the way on the gauge for those questions? As in holds true for you or false for you, I never went to the end of the scale on any question which suggest my low marking, are they looking for absolute certainty in your answers? It's not coming up again so there should be no secrecy around how people answered. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

...just test us all once in a supervised zone elminates cheats immediately...

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost PAS to test 7000 candidates at once? Assuming a tenner per person that's €70,000 at the very first stage.

Venue hire and the fact the tests are done by external bodies now are where the costs come in. I'm not sure how much it costs, but the old way was best. Once you hear an aptitude at home most people's instinct is "how can I cheat!!"

That is not your instinct in a public testing centre "it's I better knuckle down here"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Sure I was watching the DFB recruitment programme few months ago on RTE and you would wonder how some of them passed every single stage. So many of them weren't even fit and were overweight!

I've come to the conclusion reading your posts that you need to mind you're own business and concentrate on your own tests, interviews etc rather than coming up with scenarios from the top of your head after "analysing" the PAC, their methods and how expert or not they are.

You see a split shot view of recruits in training and are now on expert on DFB recruit training. Maybe you should pull out of the recruit competition and apply for an instructors vacancy in the next recruit class.

You'll probably take the hump at my comment but I'd extend the same advice to everyone else here.

Forget about what everyone else is doing.

Forget about whether you agree with the process or not.

Forget about bull**** distractions.

Get your head together about what you need to do to get through the process as a successfull candidate. Don't distract yourself slagging previous recruits or getting worked up over nonsense on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bohsfc

Sicker than Sick now. Having thought I did well in the exam, I was disappointed to get the results that I didn't make the next round so I emailed for my results. Just got them back. Scored very high in all parts of the aptitude tests, well beyond the qualifying score (As I thought) but did not make the qualifying score in the questionnaire (part A)qualifying score for this was 7700 approx and I scored 6900:mad::mad:

As I said earlier I doubt they will be worded the exact same but may well be, if they aren't then my point is null and void if they are then it is relevant, I personally was not pressed for time on any test bar the applied maths I missed one I think, so conferring is possible if ye are both bright sparks.

I didn't even score the average score on the personality test yet I tripled as you said almost everything else! The personality test was supposedly the easiest, out of curiosity are you suppose to click all the way on the gauge for those questions? As in holds true for you or false for you, I never went to the end of the scale on any question which suggest my low marking, are they looking for absolute certainty in your answers? It's not coming up again so there should be no secrecy around how people answered. :)

i think i only remember hitting maximum agree for something like, how do you feel about working within the community. I could see how a couple of people that might be "actin junkies" would click highly agree on on one of the questions like "someone confronts you are you nervous" action junkie say "NO" while a normal person says yes as they are rarely in confrontational situations and not used to it. Thats just the impression i got from it.
    bohsfc wrote: »
    Sicker than Sick now. Having thought I did well in the exam, I was disappointed to get the results that I didn't make the next round so I emailed for my results. Just got them back. Scored very high in all parts of the aptitude tests, well beyond the qualifying score (As I thought) but did not make the qualifying score in the questionnaire (part A)qualifying score for this was 7700 approx and I scored 6900:mad::mad:

if it makes you feel any better the average score in part (A) Assessment Questionnaire was 10443

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bohsfc

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    i think i only remember hitting maximum agree for something like, how do you feel about working within the community. I could see how a couple of people that might be "actin junkies" would click highly agree on on one of the questions like "someone confronts you are you nervous" action junkie say "NO" while a normal person says yes as they are rarely in confrontational situations and not used to it. Thats just the impression i got from it.

if it makes you feel any better the average score in part (A) Assessment Questionnaire was 10443

Yes, But to get these scores in Part B which to me look decent.

Understanding Instructions
    Qualifying Score 3130
    Your Score 5830

Measurement of Numeracy
    Qualifying Score 3530
    Your Score 5850

Applied Numeracy Assessment
    Qualifying Score 2240
    Your Score 6110

Measurement of Behaviour
    Qualifying Score 1420
    Your Score 7576

bohsfc wrote: »
    Yes, But to get these scores in Part B which to me look decent.

Understanding Instructions
    Qualifying Score 3130
    Your Score 5830

Measurement of Numeracy
    Qualifying Score 3530
    Your Score 5850

Applied Numeracy Assessment
    Qualifying Score 2240
    Your Score 6110

Measurement of Behaviour
    Qualifying Score 1420
    Your Score 7576

no thats a fair point. those are some impressive individual scores. i would be interested to see what the scores were around the 500-700 mark asa reference point

Somebody mentioned above that it's unlikely that we will be given the same questions for the verification but when I went through the Garda process I did the understanding instruction twice at home before doing it in a test centre and all 3 times I was given the exact same test. I had done it so many times I could almost tell you the answers right now.

While im not expecting to see the same questions for the verification test for stage 2 I wouldn't be surprised either if it is the same test or very similar with some questions coming from my original test along with others I have not seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭razor12345

Can anyone pm me the initial information booklet on the fighter from public jobs

cheers

Is it just me or was the basic numeracy more difficult than the applied numeracy?

9 times out of 10 the questions were fairly reasonable but then some ridiculous question would pop up like: ? x ? x ? = 167 which would take a chunk of time to solve..... One question like this could be the end of a chapter which has me worried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

megabantz wrote: »
    Is it just me or was the basic numeracy more difficult than the applied numeracy?

9 times out of 10 the questions were fairly reasonable but then some ridiculous question would pop up like: ? x ? x ? = 167 which would take a chunk of time to solve..... One question like this could be the end of a chapter which has me worried!

Skip the question if it is taking too long?

Skip the question if it is taking too long?

You can do that but it will affect you score which I would say nobody wants happening (negative marking I believe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

You can do that but it will affect you score which I would say nobody wants happening (negative marking I believe)

Will it effect it more than not answering several questions at the end because you spent so long on this one?

I guess it's a trade off with the hope you can answer an extra question to make up for the question you skipped/guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

No point wasting time on it then. Skip it or just guess. You could spend a big chunk of time on a hard one and the following 5 could be simple ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Zion84

I finished just out side the 670 mark and I'm pretty disgusted tbh. Where do I start. Firstly I'm extremely competive so I'm always going to be somewhat bitter when I don't achieve a goal of mine. But seroiusly lads to put through such a small percentage, I just don't understand how they will achieve a panel of 200 candidates from 670. Is it more important to be academically intelligent above everything else. I'm certain there are more appropriate candidates to be found if they took maybe 1500-2000 through.
    No disrespect to those that got called. Congrats

Zion84 wrote: »
    I finished just out side the 670 mark and I'm pretty disgusted tbh. Where do I start. Firstly I'm extremely competive so I'm always going to be somewhat bitter when I don't achieve a goal of mine. But seroiusly lads to put through such a small percentage, I just don't understand how they will achieve a panel of 200 candidates from 670. Is it more important to be academically intelligent above everything else. I'm certain there are more appropriate candidates to be found if they took maybe 1500-2000 through.
    No disrespect to those that got called. Congrats

The numbers really seem hard to take in alright and it has taken me completely by surprise and now im wondering just how many will they actually be looking for on the panel as 200 seems too much given the low group numbers overall at only stage 2!

That's a tough one alright, I was only thinking to myself what it must feel like to be 671!!!

I understand what you say about there would be equally as good candidates further back in merit but I also know a good few under 670 who would make smashing firefighters and paramedics and at the same time some people I would let look after a dog let alone somebody's life!

It's a harsh system, chin up I know it's difficult even more in your position literally so close

Also something to consider is that we still don't know the gameplan that DFB and PAS are going with! you not out until you are officially told so you never know!

In your position I would rather be closer to 670 than say 2000+

Also something to consider is that we still don't know the gameplan that DFB and PAS are going with! you not out until you are officially told so you never know!

In your position I would rather be closer to 670 than say 2000+

Spot on. i have said that myself, its not over until you have it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I came between 50 and 100 and am in at 14.30 on wednesday the 13th

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Jim Royle

What I would do/ done for those maths questions is divide them by the biggest number ..try 9 then 8 then 7 ... you want to get the big number down as quick as possible .. so say the number is 378 .. divide it by 9 equals 42 ... 6x7 equals 42

I love done math questions like that so I find the multiplication tables easy but cant see where some lads might fall down ... if I was going to stage 2 I would practice my mulitplication tables and get my formulas sorted.

Best of luck lads to all going forward. Would love to be in your shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I was just watching D-Watch, it's a good show. Here's a link.

Does anyone know where you can watch Firefighters? I missed it when it was on the telly and it doesn't seem to be on the RTE player anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Test i'm most worried about is measurement of numercy! Finished in band A first time but was bang on cut off number so afraid if i get one extra question wrong or run out of time sooner etc, i'll drop down a band and therfore wont be asked to stage 3

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Test i'm most worried about is measurement of numercy! Finished in band A first time but was bang on cut off number so afraid if i get one extra question wrong or run out of time sooner etc, i'll drop down a band and therfore wont be asked to stage 3

Don't focus on that, instead, focus on getting the best result you can possibly achieve and you won't go far wrong! After that you can say there was nothing more you could have given!

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

stringbox wrote: »
    I was just watching D-Watch, it's a good show. Here's a link.

Does anyone know where you can watch Firefighters? I missed it when it was on the telly and it doesn't seem to be on the RTE player anymore.

Dwatch was a fantastic show, I remember as a young lad watching that when it aired on tv.

Regarding firefighters you usually find it on youtube but failing that im not sure, I had the series recorded on the sky box but not anymore as the hard drive packed in!

Advertisement