Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dollydoodle

That's not at all what I said. The format was different , cannot be used for comparative or verification purposes. Listen it's all been said before by others too. We'll just have to await an outcome, no point going into semantics here I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4 First Responder

Hopefully, the union will get a positive outcome.

I believe the application closes on the 23rd of January on the DCC website if not successful in the previous stage.

So fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jamesfarrell507

Firefighter recruitment 2022. The online application is closed.But when you logged onto your account on the on career.dublincitycouncil it'll say status in progress and closing date 23rd.

I'm not sure if that date on the your account actually means much, you can't reapply but thanks for sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 tonym8986

Just off the phone there with DCC. Alot of complaints have gone in. There's an obvious issue with the testing. The request for a comparison of the test on the 13th of December to compare to the test issued the start of January has being sent to DCC and awaiting a reply. As far as DCC management are saying they are standing by staffline on this .

Thanks for the update , who has requested the comparison?

Candidates themselves are requesting it as it is meant to be a fair transparent competition there should be no problem in this and would finally put the situation to rest. DCC management have said there decision is final there will be no appeals. So it may come down to having to get Dublin councilor's to request them. Transparency is key here and DCC need to step to were staffline won't.

I am requesting my exam mark for the in person for comparison

So I'm I , extremely disheartened

from the DCC email last night was so much effort and work put in this campaign , hopefully there's a pos9 outcome.

• Advertisement

What I will say to you be prepared to be stone walled the first time it's common thing for them to do but if they are standing by staffline on this matter there should be no issues with showing a comparison of the verified tests

I did already. Staffline won't budge on it, I mentioned SARS and FOI they say they have no obligation as they are exempt from FOI requests

Very disappointing

Don't go near staffline go directly to DCC. Staffline want this buried so they can get payed and move on but DCC need to be shown that the test was ran correctly and fairly and a comparison of the tests in December and in January to the test taking online will clearly show this. But if there is a refusal to do this then there's an obvious why

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wowthatscrazy

What’s the likelihood of some of those who got “unverified” results from the supervised testing

who scored V high at home

had a bit of help from family members/relatives who are fairly clued up on aptitude tests. I’ve heard a few examples of this thinking it wouldn’t backfire as it has.

I know I’d rather be crewed up with an honest “dope” who’s trustworthy than a dishonest “genius” who can’t be trusted to do a test on their Tod.

what Staffline has done is a spanner in the works for all the 🐍, but definitely a possibility some great candidates got shafted

I hear what your saying, obviously the purpose of the 2nd round was to verify that you can pass the test of your own accord I understand the requirement for that but unfortunately some genuine people have been shafted in this. Which is why I think a few of us find it hard to just accept the 'not verified' result. I know my strengths and weaknesses, I'm far from perfect nobody is but I can't fathom how I could have dropped from 99th percentile so badly to not get through. My grasp of the language is sound and my ability to understand it, interpret it , follow command and communicate. I sat the 1st round exam at my kitchen table in the house on my own with no help or assistance from anyone but unfortunately there is nothing I can do. No doubt they caught out some dishonest people, but I didn't play that game. I went into this honestly, there is no other approach as far as I'm concerned. Anyway it's done now but they have potentially lost some seriously dedicated and committed candidates off the back of this. They could easily call those effected for a new 2nd round test which is actually formatted like the 1st round as was supposed to be the case and put this to bed but still no proper acceptance or admittance of the issue. They just want to bury the issue and move forward, Staffline want their payday

It's a shame but good luck to all as you's progress👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wowthatscrazy

I hear ya @Dollydoodle

and it’s the ones who genuinely smashed it @ home but dropped by a margin in person are getting punished as a results of the “treat all negative variance as proof of cheating” because of the many that did bend the rules.

be interested to see if you get your hands on the supervised results & protest the ruling.

seems v unfair in your case mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3 orl915

Female candidate here, effected the very same. Did the 1st round on my own, no cheating, scored top marks round 1 and eliminated for verbal reasoning round 2 as 'not verified'

Have been onto Staffline, they say they are exempt from FOI requests when I asked for copies of my round 1&2 test and sought a mark for round 2. I asked them to show me where on their website it sates they are expemt from FOI requests and guess what...they didn't respond. Tge fact they aren't engaging and being transparent must raise eyebrows surley!

DCC have clearly been given assurances by Staffline that all was in proper order so DCC have based a decision on that but you'd have to argue it isn't an informed decision. I highly doubt Staffline have been transparent with them either. DCC seem to be sticking to their guns on this unfortunately but as stated above a few genuinely individuals have been screwed over ny Staflfines c*ck up. Round 2 exam was a different format altogether, not like for like, but here we are. Missed opportunity and no answers

For a public jobs campaign transparency must be paramount! How they are getting away with this is beyond me and it certainly does not reflect well for Staffline at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Rob_1990

I'm one of the unlucky ones who's test was not verified and its a hard pill to swallow.

I do find it strange that they won't give candidates their results/score.

It's also strange that it seems like it's only the verbal reasoning test that people are getting "not verified" in!?

I haven't seen/read anyone failing in the mechanical or numerical!?

Best of luck to all who get an interview and hopefully I'll join you one day

Sorry to hear that @Rob_1990

Agree, from what I've been reading here the past week or so it's a specific group that were effected only. All verbal reasoning, all those who scored relatively high in round 1 too. The lack of transparency is shocking to be honest, the exam was different, different difficulty level and format. I think some people will read this and think you's need to get over the fact you didn't get through but I don't think it's as black and white. I'll keep going till I get my test scripts and result score. Staffline won't give DCC a copy of our 2nd round score either, how DCC aren'tlooking into this furthergiven the obviousamount ofcomplaints is asstounding for a public jobs campaign

Staffline messed up on a grand scale here, it's obvious! Mistakes happen, but what about the likes of us who have to bear the consequences? It's not on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Tbh I don't think it was a case of catching out people cheating with the majority of unverifieds, you'd want a photographic memory to be inputting the exact same answers to multiple questions ect a few weeks later having previously had help, and they likely wouldn't be complaining and putting eyes on themselves either if they did cheat, regardless there's always ways and means that these tests can be manipulated.

Additional tests were ran yesterdsy, results due today, so more invite to applications out next week. I don't know what format questions were used in the tests yesterday but interesting to see if they were the same as the last lot or first time out in December.

Make no mistake that this thread is well viewed by staffline and dcc so I can't elaborate too much, but there's a whole other heap of complaints in relation to the competition going on, fingers are in ears and everyone appears to be getting brushed off, no proper complaints procedure in place with DCC which is a bit of a joke aswell

• Advertisement

Thanks for the insight there @5500, informative 👍🏻

As you said those that did cheat wouldn't be drawing attention to themselves by complaining.

Nobody is looking for the campaign to be halted, that's not going to help anyone, least of all the service itself and the lads and ladies currently in the job. We just want a fair inclusion in the process. There's a number of us that have put a lot of preparation into this in anticipation of when the opportunity to apply opened with preparation courses and other things

If I was a hiring manager I'd be delighted to have such interested and passionate people who know their strenghts and what we can offer to the role and are clearly passionate about it to the extend of trying to push past an error not of our own doing.

If they have run a 2nd round/ intake of tests this week as you say, seems like that's game over for the likes of us, our concenrs and appels wont be heard.

4000 or so applied so the likes of us can be just put to the side, they have many more to pick from but it doesn't change the fact it has been unfair to some of us. I hope the right eyes are on this thread and are taking note, we can't all be wrong. The chances of us all underperforming to the extent Staffline claim on the 1 exam also..its not realistic, the lack of transparency should be raising eyebrows within DCC also. I'd love for that to be acknowledged or to be given our opportunity to proceed to next stage. A gesture of acknowledgement, put it to bed and move forward. If we fail at interview or fitness that's on us and we accept that but to be out of the competition not of our own doing it extremely harsh.

You can see by how people express themselves even on this thread. Ive been watching the past 2 weeks, the language they use to convey their opinions and concerns, how they articulate their message, there is no question regarding our level of verbal ability and comprehension of the language and communication which should make for an easy and smooth training programme as we'd be on the ball from the get go, easing the pressure for trainers ect

I'll await a response from Staffline still I guess. Its a terrible waste of time for the team behind the scene at DCC as well. Not their issue or fault and they have to navigate around all of this, spending their time dealing with all the additional complaints.

Good luck to all that progressed to the next stage. I still have hope🤞🏻

100% agree with you on this I have done a few test through staffline done them at home test and the supervised test it's a waste of time cheating but staffline messed up this one and the genuine people that did well in the test got screwed. There cork test was once you scored over 50% on all tests you were verified I scored in the 90s at home then 80s at supervised if it was scored the same as Dublin I would of being fu*ked out but you got the scores of both tests back . The tests were structured the same as at home but questions would be different to what you answered at home but checked it was you there's definitely something not right. People took the test as instructed genuinely and got put out over stafflines negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Tbh it's not worth your while arguing with staffline at this stage, if anyone wants to send me a pm I might be able to give you a better avenue to go down with your complaint

I went straight to the executives in DCC I explained in detail of what happened. The fact I had even seen the test in December before the technical issue. I also requested a comparison of the test in January to the test in December and would clear it all up but they won't reply. So it really shows they just want it buried.

They said about shl software being protected. You can purchase the shl software for the tests for £78 for 3 months access they have being caught in a web of lies.

I can screenshot the test preparation from career services I done and it shows the exact structure of the tests we done at home and what was on the screen the day of the technical issue . These test preparation companies put the stuff together for you to study because they know them inside out they aren't going to mark important study if it's not the correct format.

It's a point I'm making now with them and why I won't be letting it go. Working 5:30am to 6pm home sorting out my kids studying till 12 at night while there asleep making sacrifice's like most other candidates only to be wrote off from the competition because of stafflines inability to run a test correctly .

They've an obligation to ensure the process is fair and just

The situation is that if we went back and scored lower originally then we would be moving forward. That is not a fair process and it essentially suggests that we overachieved which has prevented us moving forward in the campaign. On that basis the process has been unfairly run.

The lack of an official appeals process is negligible too!

As a gesture of goodwill as mentioned above for the blunder we should be brought forward to the next stage which would appease both sides and give a mutual solution on both sides. It needs to be addressed, the approach of doing nothing so far has not been satisfactory and isn't giving either side a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Viennaoxford1

Search for the SHL Technical Manual as it deals with this issue

Has any one heard how the candidates that sat the exam last Saturday found the tests structure and how many were verified ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JTabuena

Hi,

has anybody heard anything about as to when they will start scheduling interviews for those who were asked to complete the application form? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭big.left90

I think we will hear something this week! As far as I know they schedule interviews by the order in which applications are received. Not 100% sure how many they are interviewing in this batch given that so many unverified in the last round, we'll see though!

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 JTabuena

Thanks for the info! And I hope they sort something out about the verification issues so it will be fair for everybody. Best of luck to all!

Advertisement