Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

Just a line of thinking i have come across. Is anyone familiar with the term "test exposure" it would suggest that the more someone does any aptitude they will learn and build on for future testing. I wonder will this be factored in to the results. will they expect a higher test score than what was originally scored? its food for thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    Just a line of thinking i have come across. Is anyone familiar with the term "test exposure" it would suggest that the more someone does any aptitude they will learn and build on for future testing. I wonder will this be factored in to the results. will they expect a higher test score than what was originally scored? its food for thought

Shouldn't everyone get slightly higher?

stringbox wrote: »

exactly, thats what im suggesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

This wont be an issue. It clearly states the candidate is expected to score in the same band that they scored in the first round for each of the 3 tests being re done. It would be unfair to factor this in because not everyone has done these tests before just like there are people who have sat a lot of these tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Chiil out and stop over thinking everything man.

• Advertisement

stringbox wrote: »

Not necessarily true. Those who did the test off their own back might but those who barely scraped bye with help will be unlikely to achieve the same or even close to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

exactly, thats what im suggesting

So the curve would be roughly the same wouldn't it?
    Ie. every candidate will perform roughly the same relative to each other?

I think the cheating talk is fairly overblown to be honest.

thatboy1 wrote: »
    Chiil out and stop over thinking everything man.

i am plenty chilled. :rolleyes:
    megabantz wrote: »
    This wont be an issue. It clearly states the candidate is expected to score in the same band that they scored in the first round for each of the 3 tests being re done.

one of the attributes of the role of a firefighter is to learn and improve, this would be no different. by all means if you dont agree with that line of thinking no problem do your test your way. but some people might want to begin implementing the attributes of the role as early as possible

i am plenty chilled. :rolleyes:

one of the attributes of the role of a firefighter is to learn and improve, this would be no different. by all means if you dont agree with that line of thinking no problem do your test your way. but some people might want to begin implementing the attributes of the role as early as possible

Ah come off it. Im going to go in there and do what every other person is gonna do and that try answer as much as I can and thats the extent of my plan.

At this stage all that matters is progressing to stage 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I recently done the executive officer test for the civil service and scored 71% in the maths retest.

This was 21% worse in the un supervised maths. It was still comfortably within the passing grade and the band I was already in.

I was deemed to have cheated in the first test.

The PAS wouldn't entertain any further retest or analysis of the result beyond looking at the two percents side by side.

For what it is worth I didn't cheat, what I think happened is that I was working out currency based questions incorrectly, in both tests, and just happened to be dealt more of these questions from the stack the second time round.

Had it happened the other way round I'd have been grand!

PAS did tell me that 20% was the maximum variance allowed, which in fairness is big.

• Advertisement

I recently done the executive officer test for the civil service and scored 71% in the maths retest.

This was 21% worse in the un supervised maths. It was still comfortably within the passing grade and the band I was already in.

I was deemed to have cheated in the first test.

The PAS wouldn't entertain any further retest or analysis of the result beyond looking at the two percents side by side.

For what it is worth I didn't cheat, what I think happened is that I was working out currency based questions incorrectly, in both tests, and just happened to be dealt more of these questions from the stack the second time round.

Had it happened the other way round I'd have been grand!

PAS did tell me that 20% was the maximum variance allowed, which in fairness is big.

So have I got this right..... You sat a test and got 92%, you then sat the retest and got 71% - both scores were in the same scoring band but you were stopped progressing because it was outside the 20% allowance?

20% is a big allowance alright!

So have I got this right..... You sat a test and got 92%, you then sat the retest and got 71% - both scores were in the same scoring band but you were stopped progressing because it was outside the 20% allowance?

20% is a big allowance alright!

You have that right.

Ah come off it. Im going to go in there and do what every other person is gonna do and that try answer as much as I can and thats the extent of my plan.

At this stage all that matters is progressing to stage 3

Nobody knows how it will go not me or you. Im not telling you your way is wrong or this way is right. I suggested it a way of thinking. Let us j ow how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Hmm. I scored low enough in one section that I think I'll do much better second time around. That's a bit worrying. Hopefully less than 20% better!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Hmm. I scored low enough in one section that I think I'll do much better second time around. That's a bit worrying. Hopefully less than 20% better!

Would they punish you for getting a 20% better score?? Anyone any idea? Would seem a bit unfair but I have heard that in the garda one this has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zion84

Lads I was wondering, in the message from PAS does it mention what tests you'll be getting in stage 2?
    Ie. observational.
    Listening.
    Numeracy
    Applied Numeracy.
    Or is it just a complete retest of stage 1. I'm hoping the later. Because this could mean that it is only a verification round for the top scoring peeps and stage3 would see a larger field recalled. ðŸ˜

Zion84 wrote: »
    Lads I was wondering, in the message from PAS does it mention what tests you'll be getting in stage 2?
    Ie. observational.
    Listening.
    Numeracy
    Applied Numeracy.
    Or is it just a complete retest of stage 1. I'm hoping the later. Because this could mean that it is only a verification round for the top scoring peeps and stage3 would see a larger field recalled. ðŸ˜

Lol.

I think anyone going to the next stage is going to have to verify their results.

Lol.

I think anyone going to the next stage is going to have to verify their results.

Doesn't really answer my question tbh.

Zion84 wrote: »
    Doesn't really answer my question tbh.

No your thinking about it the wrong way... Stage 2 is a retest of 3 exams sat in stage 1 along with 2 new video tests.

No your thinking about it the wrong way... Stage 2 is a retest of 3 exams sat in stage 1 along with 2 new video tests.

Thanks that's all I wanted to know, if the video tests are included or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭david-d

Hi folks, I've a test for thurs 14th however I won't be back in Ireland until tues 19th.. is there anyone who might be willing and able to swap with me for a tues test?? I've spoken to PAS and they said while they're not rescheduling test for people, if I can find someone who's willing to swap they'll facilitate it. I also have an email to that effect which I can forward to you if needs be . Anybody that can help please pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

david-d wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've a test for thurs 14th however I won't be back in Ireland until tues 19th.. is there anyone who might be willing and able to swap with me for a tues test?? I've spoken to PAS and they said while they're not rescheduling test for people, if I can find someone who's willing to swap they'll facilitate it. I also have an email to that effect which I can forward to you if needs be . Anybody that can help please pm me

That's a bit harsh. Should accommodate somebody who can produce evidence of pre booked trip abroad. Espically if they are still running the tests!

I'd guarantee you that there will be a handful that don't turn up for each exam so they could easily fit you in.

Chungwun wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. Should accommodate somebody who can produce evidence of pre booked trip abroad. Espically if they are still running the tests!

I'd guarantee you that there will be a handful that don't turn up for each exam so they could easily fit you in.

I'm hoping that's the case but with the numbers quoted above being so few I'm concerned to say the least... They said I'm welcome to attend any day of testing and if there are any no shows they'll allow me to sit the exam but they finish on the tues (I don't get back to dub until 2200 on the Mon)

So failing getting a swap I'll have to book the day off work, head to Abbey street and hope for the best

With regard to it being harsh, the reasoning was if do it for one they'd potentially have to do it for a lot and with the high level of applicants they weren't willing to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

I'm hoping that's the case but with the numbers quoted above being so few I'm concerned to say the least... They said I'm welcome to attend any day of testing and if there are any no shows they'll allow me to sit the exam but they finish on the tues (I don't get back to dub until 2200 on the Mon)

So failing getting a swap I'll have to book the day off work, head to Abbey street and hope for the best

With regard to it being harsh, the reasoning was if do it for one they'd potentially have to do it for a lot and with the high level of applicants they weren't willing to do that

Think it should be viewed on a case by case situation so that doesn't wash with me. Big difference between somebody out of the country compared to somebody working or even an event within a reasonable distance of Dublin.

Be different maybe if it was only over a couple of days.

Anyway best of luck and hope you get sorted.

Chungwun wrote: »
    Think it should be viewed on a case by case situation so that doesn't wash with me. Big difference between somebody out of the country compared to somebody working or even an event within a reasonable distance of Dublin.

Be different maybe if it was only over a couple of days.

Anyway best of luck and hope you get sorted.

Thanks chungwun, I live in hope

that is a bit harsh to be fair. I think if you turn up on the tuesday you would be fine. If you are in that boat you can guarantee there are other people that are not able to make it. As far as i can make out there are 3 tests per day 8:45 11:45 & 2:45 i would have my tent pitched outside the door and be top of the queue to get sorted.

it does raise an interesting point that im sure a few people from abroad would have applied and where successful might not have been able to arrange getting here with only 7-10 days notice. just a thought

that is a bit harsh to be fair. I think if you turn up on the tuesday you would be fine. If you are in that boat you can guarantee there are other people that are not able to make it. As far as i can make out there are 3 tests per day 8:45 11:45 & 2:45 i would have my tent pitched outside the door and be top of the queue to get sorted.

it does raise an interesting point that im sure a few people from abroad would have applied and where successful might not have been able to arrange getting here with only 7-10 days notice. just a thought

That's the plan... fingers crossed and all that jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I have a test on the 14th if anyone is willing to swap for the Saturday.

Do PAS even consider the idea of people who work!

Are you sure of the times for the 3 tests cause I have mine at 10am wed 13th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Are you sure of the times for the 3 tests cause I have mine at 10am wed 13th

I'm the same

Advertisement