Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pacepower1989

Thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

thatboy1 wrote: »
    Youll be given one.

Yeah and its a heap of ****e. I brought my own but wasn't allowed use it, yet had no problem using it in Junior, Leaving or College exams. Seriously funked me over I know my calculator and how to use it, the junk I got was something out of a 1 euro shop. <mod snip>

Overall, with the margian for getting in so low I doubt I made it, just made too many errors mind you 1/2 per topic but still you need to be in the top 95/100% to get anywhere with this and I didn't cut it.

Best of luck to all.

I did find the video section on this much easier than the Garda one.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

I don't think the rankings will change much after stage 2. The majority (except for a few cheaters) of people will score similar to the unsupervised tests. The 2 new tests were quite simple most people will score high enough to pass the both. I think where you placed after stage 1 will play a huge roll if you get called to the next stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

How would this be possible?? You won't be scored on the verification tests for round 2 they were either verified or not. The only tests that will determine who goes to stage 3 are the video tests so this would mean the ranked order of merit will be based on how well you scored for these tests compared to everyone else I.e a new order of merit and a new position for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

megabantz wrote: »
    How would this be possible?? You won't be scored on the verification tests for round 2 they were either verified or not. The only tests that will determine who goes to stage 3 are the video tests so this would mean the ranked order of merit will be based on how well you scored for these tests compared to everyone else I.e a new order of merit and a new position for everyone
    I would have thought you will be scored on how you ranked on all the tests. Verification and the two new ones.
    Stage one is over and all that matters is your scores reasonably match so stage one will have no baring going forward. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

I find it very hard to believe they will disregard scores and rankings from the online aptitude tests and rely solely on 2 tests in which alot of people will score very similar. I would even go as far as saying alot of people could have probably answered all the learning information questions correctly ( only my opinion)

So which score do they take? the round 1 score or the round 2 score? Your only asked to verify them to verify your score in a supervised environment. Who knows! It doesn't make much sense

So which score do they take? the round 1 score or the round 2 score? Your only asked to verify them to verify your score in a supervised environment. Who knows! It doesn't make much sense

I would imagine score from test 1. Test 2 was only to verify your the one who took test 1 :) would be nice to get some clarification on the matter.

twinydavid wrote: »
    I would imagine score from test 1. Test 2 was only to verify your the one who took test 1 :) would be nice to get some clarification on the matter.

This is perfect for those who scored high in merit but would be unfair to those at the back of the list as they don't have much wiggle room to come up on top and secure a place in stage 3 unless those at the top did terrible at the video tests which is unlikely as most are finding it straight forward. Seems unfair but I wouldn't rule it out when I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Fire.I.Am

I came between 400-500 in round 1... So if I go into the supervised test and get a few extra questions correct than I did the first time around, and someone who came 300-400 in round 1 gets a few extra questions wrong, resulting in me getting a better result in the supervised tests than the other person, by this logic that person will retain their place above me in the order of merit?

I hope that's not the case! There's more pressure on everyone in the supervised environment, and the job obviously requires an individual to cope well in high pressure environments!

• Advertisement

Fire.I.Am wrote: »
    I came between 400-500 in round 1... So if I go into the supervised test and get a few extra questions correct than I did the first time around, and someone who came 300-400 in round 1 gets a few extra questions wrong, resulting in me getting a better result in the supervised tests than the other person, by this logic that person will retain their place above me in the order of merit?

I hope that's not the case! There's more pressure on everyone in the supervised environment, and the job obviously requires an individual to cope well in high pressure environments!

This is what I was getting at! It's certainly not gonna be fair and I can't see it happening. It's a clean slate as far as im concerned and the order of merit will be solely on the video tests. you dont get any allowances just cause you did well in the first round.

I think people are pinning to much hope that the video tests will miraculously rise them a few hundred places up the order of merit. It's not going to happen. Stage 1 scores will play a huge deciding factor. How you did on the verification will have little to do with it once your somewhat within the score of the unsupervised test.

Lads 2 simple video tests isn't enough to to separate 670 people on an order or merit.

twinydavid wrote: »
    I think people are pinning to much hope that the video tests will miraculously rise them a few hundred places up the order of merit. It's not going to happen. Stage 1 scores will play a huge deciding factor. How you did on the verification will have little to do with it once your somewhat within the score of the unsupervised test.

I scored in the top 15 places in round 1 so im not bothered either way. but im just not convinced that the original point made about places wont change much is true. I defo wouldn't count on being in the same spot. I do now after thinking about it think they prob will combine all 5 tests together (3 from round 1 and 2 from round 2)

You also mention that you don't think 2 simple video tests will separate out a few hundred place but when I compared my score against a friend there was a huge variance in 1 particular test when the only difference was I answered 1 question more than her so they certainly have a very granular scoring process enough to differentiate scores sufficiently. They could easily take into account your average timing on answering questions.

Based on my experience and results with the Garda test from stage two.

All your scores are calculated, once within range, the results become verified with stage 1, after that they are added up and you get a score based on stage 2 results, if that score is not above what's set out or one of the tests fail/not verified then your out, otherwise your placed on merit of the tests. So it is possible for someone to go from 50 to 500, that's not to say you won't be called. There are alot more stages still to pass after this.

These stages are more worrying and frustrating cause you've to wait four weeks for a result that is instant, they know your faith when your leaving. If your not verified then they should tell you via email that day same with if you fail a part. It's just stupid to keep someone waiting when there faith is known.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Based on my experience and results with the Garda test from stage two.

All your scores are calculated, once within range, the results become verified with stage 1, after that they are added up and you get a score based on stage 2 results, if that score is not above what's set out or one of the tests fail/not verified then your out, otherwise your placed on merit of the tests. So it is possible for someone to go from 50 to 500, that's not to say you won't be called. There are alot more stages still to pass after this.

These stages are more worrying and frustrating cause you've to wait four weeks for a result that is instant, they know your faith when your leaving. If your not verified then they should tell you via email that day same with if you fail a part. It's just stupid to keep someone waiting when there faith is known.

It's an unnecessarily cruel process

I scored in the top 15 places in round 1 so im not bothered either way. but im just not convinced that the original point made about places wont change much is true. I defo wouldn't count on being in the same spot. I do now after thinking about it think they prob will combine all 5 tests together (3 from round 1 and 2 from round 2)

You also mention that you don't think 2 simple video tests will separate out a few hundred place but when I compared my score against a friend there was a huge variance in 1 particular test when the only difference was I answered 1 question more than her so they certainly have a very granular scoring process enough to differentiate scores sufficiently. They could easily take into account your average timing on answering questions.

I also ranked top 50 so I'm fairly confident myself. Yes that's what I'm trying to get at! 3 tests from stage 1 and 2 tests from stage 2. People thinking that stage 1 scores will be forgotten about and the 2 video tests will be used as a basis for the order of merit just sounds completely incorrect.

I guess the tried and trusted method of "wait and see" will just have to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pacepower1989

I came in late 600s myself so it would be extremely disheartening if no matter how well I do I wont be able to budge much to get near that promise land which is stage 3. But like you say time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Fire.I.Am

I came in late 600s myself so it would be extremely disheartening if no matter how well I do I wont be able to budge much to get near that promise land which is stage 3. But like you say time will tell.

Amen to that brother. I scored very high in every section except the "Measurement of Behaviours" section in round one (still almost tripled the qualifying score, but in relation to others I was in the bottom 33%). That section isn't even being "validated".

All we can do is go in, kick some ass in round 2 and then wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

When do the test finish up?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

Test finish next tuesday i think, my opinions is all in the mix for the next round. Full rescores everyone has a shot at it

I thought the online assessment was a culling process.
    They take the top 679 to then sit the exams infront of them with two extra exams.
    from that they take then take the top scorers forward again. But who knows!

Another question I have, which might not be known I have not seen it anywhere! Are we going to now see a continued stream into the OBE?

Like with the Garda now down to templemore. It wouldn't be so bad that way, to know I will have another chance next year, also I would know what to expect. But to wait what another 5/6 years? I think the last class was 2013 but could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TTL2015

Based on principle of last open campaign in 2007.
    801 for interview for 196 places on panel.(4 interviewed for every job).

Current campaign.

679 for interview once they verify their results for differences as would be appropriate as no online test in 07 just supervised.
    4 interviewed for every job as previously done makes panel of 170.
    66 jobs as advertised and remaining panel of 100 to draw off.
    Very realistic scenario to me.

I thought the online assessment was a culling process.
    They take the top 679 to then sit the exams infront of them with two extra exams.
    from that they take then take the top scorers forward again. But who knows!

TTL2015 wrote: »
    Based on principle of last open campaign in 2007.
    801 for interview for 196 places on panel.(4 interviewed for every job).

Current campaign.

679 for interview once they verify their results for differences as would be appropriate as no online test in 07 just supervised.
    4 interviewed for every job as previously done makes panel of 170.
    66 jobs as advertised and remaining panel of 100 to draw off.
    Very realistic scenario to me.

This would be spot on if they were taking 679 through.... But they are not!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TTL2015

Seen as competition only goes into dcc hands after pas cut the numbers down u would think the corpo would like at least a 3/1 ratio on spots for interview. I'll go with at least 500 for interview then.

TTL2015 wrote: »
    Seen as competition only goes into dcc hands after pas cut the numbers down u would think the corpo would like at least a 3/1 ratio on spots for interview. I'll go with at least 500 for interview then.

Previous competitions were roughly 800 for 200 panel spots.

It's more than likely DCC reducing costs. Would you rather interview 800 people for 200 jobs or interview 450/500for 200 jobs. It's bonkers but that's how it's working this time round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

heard today (Hoping its not true) 250 interview 120 for panel. just what i heard dont shoot the messenger personally i dont think anyone knows yet.

Advertisement