Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Public jobs just sent out emails about the ESC's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

ESC email just sent out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Esc came today just got there. Manning level is approx 760-800 at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

Talking to a Firefighter friend of mine who said, The standard of interviews is supposed to be extremely high, several London firefighters, over 30 members of the National ambulance service have been interviewed too.

Will they want people that are already "moulded" or will they want to recruit people that they can mould into what they want them to be?

I heard a 20 year old went in and did an unbelievable interview but won't get it cos of his age

Talking to a Firefighter friend of mine who said, The standard of interviews is supposed to be extremely high, several London firefighters, over 30 members of the National ambulance service have been interviewed too.

Will they want people that are already "moulded" or will they want to recruit people that they can mould into what they want them to be?

I heard a 20 year old went in and did an unbelievable interview but won't get it cos of his age

Load of crap I know 2 firefighters that started at 19/20 back in 2007. We will know what they want come the results of the panel

• Advertisement

Speculation is futile time will tell. To all serving firefighters going for it the standard firefighter questions that have been asked at interview are a no brainer for them as they would know those questions without even researching. The national ambulance service is going to be screwed if all 30 get the job!

I wasn't asked anything to do with firefighting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone know if or how we can use our stage 2 results for this test? Really don't want to sit all they again, its a pain trying to get time off work.

I was asked a load of firefighting questions and the role my carpentry plays as a firefighter as well as a ton of questions only carpenter's would know!

Any existing firefighters/paramedics going for it are going to have to retrain all over again if they get it! Why are there so many looking to join DFB is the question.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Anyone know if or how we can use our stage 2 results for this test? Really don't want to sit all they again, its a pain trying to get time off work.

The english test is different so I can't see them carrying over our scores! Plus there was no audio test for the firefighter role there is for ESC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

I was asked a load of firefighting questions and the role my carpentry plays as a firefighter as well as a ton of questions only carpenter's would know!

Any existing firefighters/paramedics going for it are going to have to retrain all over again if they get it! Why are there so many looking to join DFB is the question.

Paramedics will only have to do the firefighting training. Then they will go operational as firefighter/paramedics.

Paramedics will only have to do the firefighting training. Then they will go operational as firefighter/paramedics.

How likely are the interview boards to refuse parmedics and current firefighters going for the role? They have the training and knowledge. The reality is it's very hard to say to these people you don't make the grade! Which limits everyone else who is an outsider looking to get the job.

How likely are the interview boards to refuse parmedics and current firefighters going for the role? They have the training and knowledge. The reality is it's very hard to say to these people you don't make the grade! Which limits everyone else who is an outsider looking to get the job.

honestly i dont think anyone can answer that one. My guess is that the board are also looking beyond qualifications and experience and will want to see what candidates are like in person. IMHO if a candidate knew all the answers to all the questions and was speaking in say a mono tone voice with no display of emotion i would imagine it would not be a great outcome. DFB crews have to live in close quarters for up to 15hrs a day. They want lads that are flexible and can get along not robots with no empathy

honestly i dont think anyone can answer that one. My guess is that the board are also looking beyond qualifications and experience and will want to see what candidates are like in person. IMHO if a candidate knew all the answers to all the questions and was speaking in say a mono tone voice with no display of emotion i would imagine it would not be a great outcome. DFB crews have to live in close quarters for up to 15hrs a day. They want lads that are flexible and can get along not robots with no empathy

I definitely didn't know all my questions and with nerves I was probably mono tone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Quite a few full time firemen went for Limerick Fire and in the end they took 7 retained guys and 3 guys with construction background.

It depends if DFB are allowed to cannibalise the other services. After all, if DFB take 25 NAS paramedics that means the NAS is short 25 paramedics for 2 years plus however many they are short at the moment.

Also I would be thinking why are they leaving there current service? Will we train these guys up and they up sticks and move on and leave us with a hole in the service.

Surely not the case but just one thought they might think. Isnt the training for the NAS like 2 years or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Hopefully everyone will have their letters by Thursday of next week.

Will everyone hear together successful or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

I know you know your stuff here but do you mind if I ask how you know this

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

I know you know your stuff here but do you mind if I ask how you know this

Don't care how he/she knows. Just so grateful for them. Eases the pain always!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

I'm really worried about the age issue. I'm 20 and did the interview. Granted a lot of 20 year old's might not have experience and the head to handle the job but I tried to give them every reason why they should consider me, mainly that I have been on a lifeboat crew since I was 16 along with other things. If their was such an issue with age I wish they would just put it up to minimum 21 like the Americans and the NAS. I'm not trying to tell the DFB how to do things as they do an amazing job but this is a goal I have been aiming for since a very young age like a lot of us and I would hate to think I was wrote off before I even opened my mouth in the interview because of my age.

I'm really worried about the age issue. I'm 20 and did the interview. Granted a lot of 20 year old's might not have experience and the head to handle the job but I tried to give them every reason why they should consider me, mainly that I have been on a lifeboat crew since I was 16 along with other things. If their was such an issue with age I wish they would just put it up to minimum 21 like the Americans and the NAS. I'm not trying to tell the DFB how to do things as they do an amazing job but this is a goal I have been aiming for since a very young age like a lot of us and I would hate to think I was wrote off before I even opened my mouth in the interview because of my age.

I really think it won't effect you !

you are reacting to hearsay. dont let hearsay goveren your thoughts. Dont forget this is your first time going for DFB (because you were only 11 the last time they open recruited) there are many lads that got knocked back then that have been training and practicing for the last 10 years and longer to be the best candidate they can be. Sometimes a knock back the first time can make you the best candidate the second time around. It makes you critically analyze yourself and your ability's going forward.

Having applied in my 20's and applied in my 30's i can tell you with heindsight that those 10 years have made a word of difference for me. I have lived more of my life, and i know exactly the person I am and what i am and am not capable of. you might think im trying to talk you off the idea or come across as being condescending but i am not. I think any service will want well rounded individuals. it just seems most lads become more seasoned in there late 20's onwards. of course there is the odd exception to the rule both ways but having trained plenty of lads in the early 20's this has been my experience.

It's my third interview for the job!

You've just given me a shiver, time to know my faith. Can't wait for it to be all over.

Also thanks for your input here. It's been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

you are reacting to hearsay. dont let hearsay goveren your thoughts. Dont forget this is your first time going for DFB (because you were only 11 the last time they open recruited) there are many lads that got knocked back then that have been training and practicing for the last 10 years and longer to be the best candidate they can be. Sometimes a knock back the first time can make you the best candidate the second time around. It makes you critically analyze yourself and your ability's going forward.

Having applied in my 20's and applied in my 30's i can tell you with heindsight that those 10 years have made a word of difference for me. I have lived more of my life, and i know exactly the person I am and what i am and am not capable of. you might think im trying to talk you off the idea or come across as being condescending but i am not. I think any service will want well rounded individuals. it just seems most lads become more seasoned in there late 20's onwards. of course there is the odd exception to the rule both ways but having trained plenty of lads in the early 20's this has been my experience.

That was very well put out thank you! All I ask for is a fair go and you have some very good points. We can but try and try again!

That was very well put out thank you! All I ask for is a fair go and you have some very good points. We can but try and try again!

exactly. You have lots of time. Consider what you can do now that will improve your chances in the next recruitment if you are not successful. what is the very best thing you can say in an interview to make the best impression? then go and become an expert at that thing and be in the best position next time around,

exactly. You have lots of time. Consider what you can do now that will improve your chances in the next recruitment if you are not successful. what is the very best thing you can say in an interview to make the best impression? then go and become an expert at that thing and be in the best position next time around,

Im 24 surely I'm not too young ? 9 years working for same company

The fire service rarely hires anyone without life experience 25 onwards is an ideal age. But there are plenty of people younger than that who got the job. Bottom line is over 300 people next week will have their dreams ruined. Life roles on. It's only a job not life and death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

All letters will go together. Interview boards are finished Friday night so in the event of everything going smoothly the letters could get earlier.

Advertisement