Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

Hello hopefulfireman. Apparently there's a few new physical tests on the curriculum this year. The first new one is called the dodge moped test where you have to cross a main thoroughfare without getting hit by an oncoming moped. The second new one is the attic test where you must jump beams in an attic without falling through. Quite tough I heard but you should be well able for them.

That's grand, I thought the medical would entail a Firefighter chasing you around with poo on toilet paper and if you escaped you had the job lol

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Things should get interesting about 5pm today. Looking forward to hearing about the curve balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Things should get interesting about 5pm today. Looking forward to hearing about the curve balls

They're probably done by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Defo be done by now they moved a few forward

ok so who wants to be the first to spill the beans?? :D

• Advertisement

They asked me was I afraid of water and ladders

Grahamfire wrote: »
    They asked me was I afraid of water and ladders

really?

really?

Jesus no haha. My interview went as expected. Asked a few questions about the workplace that were tricky in what way to approach the answer !

They asked me if I was willing to shave my chest for the DFB calendar. I had to say yes but I'll find a way out of it.

All jokes aside. Felt they were all nice. The station officer I had was lovely same as HR girl. The retired guy on my board I felt was there to trip you up. Asked if someone fell in work with no injury would they be offered chocolates and flowers to persuade them from claiming. Also asked about Secuirty procedures in the workplace etc. Really tried digging for a bad reply I taught. Think I answered them the way he wanted hopefully. My biggest downfall in interview was he asked about the extinguishers in work. We have foam and co2 so I knew them and the colour of the labels however he asked me what colour a dry powder one would be and I couldn't recall. Hope something like that wouldn't count me out ?

• Advertisement

Hope something like that wouldn't count me out ?

Did you recover from it ok, or did you just stammer and stare at them?

stringbox wrote: »
    Did you recover from it ok, or did you just stammer and stare at them?

Came straight out with answer that I felt appropriate. Said I'd hope it wouldn't be to persuade them from it but if they were directly from me certainly would be good will and nothing else

I got some humdinger questions which i was able to answer in full as i did a lot of study.....

Can you tell me what systems are in place for F/F who are u der stress?

Can you tell me what the ambulance entails?

Can you tell me what fire precautions are in your workplace?

How would you tackle an electrical fire?

Can you tell me the training moduels in the training of a firefighter and the duration of each?

Can you tell me a reason why you would not follow procedure to get a job done?

What was the last new skill i had learned?

What was the next skill i was going to learn?

Thats just a few. The S/O and the HR person were great and put me at ease. The retired D/O was tough at the beginning but mellowed as i started answering questions.

I had mentioned i was at an annnual event last summer i was told "something tells me you wont be there next year" so here is hoping the results are good

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Oddest one I got was "What fears do you have?"

thatboy1 wrote: »
    Oddest one I got was "What fears do you have?"

Hope you told them rejection from DFB?? Lol

I got some humdinger questions which i was able to answer in full as i did a lot of study.....

Can you tell me what systems are in place for F/F who are u der stress?

Can you tell me what the ambulance entails?

Can you tell me what fire precautions are in your workplace?

How would you tackle an electrical fire?

Can you tell me the training moduels in the training of a firefighter and the duration of each?

Can you tell me a reason why you would not follow procedure to get a job done?

What was the last new skill i had learned?

What was the next skill i was going to learn?

Thats just a few. The S/O and the HR person were great and put me at ease. The retired D/O was tough at the beginning but mellowed as i started answering questions.

I had mentioned i was at an annnual event last summer i was told "something tells me you wont be there next year" so here is hoping the results are good

Jesus Christ you got grilled

Jesus Christ you got grilled

Yup! But i answered everyone of them to the T. Really enjoyed it walked out like i was on cloud 9

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

Yup! But i answered everyone of them to the T. Really enjoyed it walked out like i was on cloud 9

Not following procedure is a tough one. I've had a think for the last 10 minutes and I still wouldn't be comfortable being asked that!

KiloDelta wrote: »
    Not following procedure is a tough one. I've had a think for the last 10 minutes and I still wouldn't be comfortable being asked that!

Suppose if loss of life was immanent and the break in procedure wasn't unsafe it would be acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Ladder 9metres high how far from wall should it be?
    Turntable ladder height?
    Where is TRV located?
    Where is high line located?
    30secs to tell us why you deserve job?
    Function of fire door?
    Ironmongery on fire door?
    Services fire service provides?
    What different extinguishers are there and how to tell them apart?
    How did I prepare for this competition?
    How does the role of a carpenter benefit the fire service?
    What services do paramedics provide?
    Did I visit fire station?

• Advertisement

Suppose if loss of life was immanent and the break in procedure wasn't unsafe it would be acceptable

I think I'd go along the lines of if putting up a ladder correctly was impeded by overhead cables that maybe we would have to consider an alternative way.

I'd be very careful in saying I would dive into anything that's for sure.

Ladder 9metres high how far from wall should it be?
    Turntable ladder height?
    Where is TRV located?
    Where is high line located?
    30secs to tell us why you deserve job?
    Function of fire door?
    Ironmongery on fire door?
    Services fire service provides?
    What different extinguishers are there and how to tell them apart?
    How did I prepare for this competition?
    How does the role of a carpenter benefit the fire service?
    What services do paramedics provide?
    Did I visit fire station?

yup i got some of those! location of TRV is a great one to catch someone out! North Strand

I think I'd go along the lines of if putting up a ladder correctly was impeded by overhead cables that maybe we would have to consider an alternative way.

I'd be very careful in saying I would dive into anything that's for sure.

Maybe so. I got asked none of those questions thank god. Just hoping the fire extinguisher ones didn't throw me out other then that the interview went fantastic

yup i got some of those! location of TRV is a great one to catch someone out! North Strand

TRV great one. Was delighted I studied this in depth

Ironmongery on a fire door. What was that asking?

If you don't know a question lying is a no no! They see right through it and will find it hard to trust you. Admit you don't know it and use logic on the spot it serves you much better.

Ironmongery on a fire door. What was that asking?

Ironmongery is steel ware. Handles. Kick plates. Push plates. Hinges. Overhead door closer etc i knew my stuff on that one!

Ironmongery is steel ware. Handles. Kick plates. Push plates. Hinges. Overhead door closer etc i knew my stuff on that one!

Oh right, I just didn't know what context the question was asked in.

Oh right, I just didn't know what context the question was asked in.

I'm a carpenter and had it on my cv so they knew how to test my claim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

I got asked about my current role and what I do on a day to day basis
    A time when I dealt with an awkward customer?
    A time I helped an injured person
    Obviously the motivation one came up
    Stations visited and equipment seen
    Fire extinguisher colour codes
    Best fire extinguisher for a Kitchen fire
    How long a fire extinguisher lasts when you spray it (is there even a bloody answer)
    Is the cooling agent in a C02 extinguisher heavier or lighter than air
    What is my views on the HSE taking over the ambulance service
    How would I wire fire alarms in a kitchen

Advertisement