Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

I got asked about my current role and what I do on a day to day basis
    A time when I dealt with an awkward customer?
    A time I helped an injured person
    Obviously the motivation one came up
    Stations visited and equipment seen
    Fire extinguisher colour codes
    Best fire extinguisher for a Kitchen fire
    How long a fire extinguisher lasts when you spray it (is there even a bloody answer)
    Is the cooling agent in a C02 extinguisher heavier or lighter than air
    What is my views on the HSE taking over the ambulance service
    How would I wire fire alarms in a kitchen

Would not knowing the Label for dry powder really effect interview ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Got asked how I would communicate with a non native English speaker.

Then I made a mess of the fire extinguishers one I took a stab at it, got the different types he asked me about labels/colours, I tried one and then I just said sorry I don't know the answer to that question.

Same guy again asked me out fire hydrants, where does water get its pressure from, can you park on a fire hydrant, what year was fire service act, what other acts are there.

I just felt for a competency based interview, it was quite strange, there was none of this 'tell me about a time you used team work' etc.. It was all old school, which annoyed me after because I structured all my answers wrong and didn't use a straight example.

I felt the HR, DFB guy liked me and I gave good answers. The retired Offaly guy gave me a grilling.

Literally had everything boxed off apart from the fire extinguishers and I was studying them in work just forgot to go over them again.

My prediction, for me unsuccessful. :(

TallGlass wrote: »
    Got asked how I would communicate with a non native English speaker.

Then I made a mess of the fire extinguishers one I took a stab at it, got the different types he asked me about labels/colours, I tried one and then I just said sorry I don't know the answer to that question.

Same guy again asked me out fire hydrants, where does water get its pressure from, can you park on a fire hydrant, what year was fire service act, what other acts are there.

I just felt for a competency based interview, it was quite strange, there was none of this 'tell me about a time you used team work' etc.. It was all old school, which annoyed me after because I structured all my answers wrong and didn't use a straight example.

I felt the HR, DFB guy liked me and I gave good answers. The retired Offaly guy gave me a grilling.

Literally had everything boxed off apart from the fire extinguishers and I was studying them in work just forgot to go over them again.

My prediction, for me unsuccessful. :(

Exact same guy hit me with fire extinguishers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

So....

Why do you want to be a firefighter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I didn't really get any of those questions, very much asked me the competency stuff. I had board 2. The HR rep was sound out but the S/O and retired guy seemed really bored.

• Advertisement

stringbox wrote: »
    I didn't really get any of those questions, very much asked me the competency stuff. I had board 2. The HR rep was sound out but the S/O and retired guy seemed really bored.

The Offaly guy I heard was grilling people. He will make or break my interview

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

Asked me the best extinguisher to use on a kitchen fire, I said dry powder or C02 he asked me the colours of both, I knew them.

Turns out it's a wet chemical extinguisher for kitchen fires (rolls eyes)

Asked me a down side to C02 and dry powder, I. said C02 can't be used in confined spaces and couldn't think of one for dry powder as it's a multi purpose extinguisher, he says to me if I sprayed it in a computer room it's gonna destroy the computers isn't it, just apologised and said I was looking at it from an extinguishing fires point of view

Grahamfire wrote: »
    The Offaly guy I heard was grilling people. He will make or break my interview

So where you on panel 1 with the D/O John robinson aswell, same as meself

If that question on extinguishers throws loads of us out that's terrible form. Rest of my interview went great

So where you on panel 1 with the D/O John robinson aswell, same as meself

Yes board 1

• Advertisement

I've asked several firemen since the interview and they said that stuff is put in to throw you and see how you react to the next question and also to see if you are a bull****ter or not, especially asking me how long does a fire extinguisher spray for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

I didn't get asked any of the above!
    Mostly competencies and why you want to join dfb/what will you bring to the role.
    They did ask me what the last skill/course I learned/took and what the next skill/course I want to do is.
    Sounds like a lot of people got a lot harder of an interview than I did.

Yup, and too me it seemed any answer you gave this guy was going to keep on digging. Was fairly pissed off, if I had of known that was what they meant by technical my prep would have been into that stuff, instead my focus was on more so the stock interview questions.

He then asked me was I a fire warden in a job I was in retail, I said no, so think it sunk the ship.

The DFB guy asked me what I would do with part time college in evening if I was successful. I told him I would have to leave it as I would focus my attention on training. Then he asked how much was it, I said 2800€ he said that's quite alot of money, I said yes it is. If it needed that I would need it in the role I would complete it once at a competent level in the job.

Oh yeah Offaly guy asked me about ranks, and could a FF get to chief, I said no. As I was told to go for third officer you need to have an engineering degree, and if you had that then yes you could.

Yeah so, what a ****ing few weeks and what an interview. I was so dazed and freaked after it. I got out of the lift on the wrong floor hahaha.

One thing I did notice, there where people with colored hairstyles, one guy very very casual, people not shaved. Not that there's anything wrong with it you could give good interview, but for a uniform service I would be going looking the part. I had the full suit out etc..

I'd say that was sore ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

yahaaay I'm here all week

I've asked several firemen since the interview and they said that stuff is put in to throw you and see how you react to the next question and also to see if you are a bull****ter or not, especially asking me how long does a fire extinguisher spray for

I heard one guy coming out talking to his mate. He goes, 'your man asked me where hydrogen comes from'.

Were people not clean shaven and in a suit?? Coloured hair??

Asked me the best extinguisher to use on a kitchen fire, I said dry powder or C02 he asked me the colours of both, I knew them.

Turns out it's a wet chemical extinguisher for kitchen fires (rolls eyes)

Asked me a down side to C02 and dry powder, I. said C02 can't be used in confined spaces and couldn't think of one for dry powder as it's a multi purpose extinguisher, he says to me if I sprayed it in a computer room it's gonna destroy the computers isn't it, just apologised and said I was looking at it from an extinguishing fires point of view

I didn't know there was one either, never seen one before. It's a yellow label after looking online, as for the destroying the computers, I would assume life is more important ! But you done right I would have cut the losses and said the same.

I'd say that was sore ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

yahaaay I'm here all week

Questions about them went fine except dry powder label. He asked me what effect foam has on a fire I said smothering effect and he wanted what else it would do and I didn't know on the spot he said it would have a cooling effect wouldn't it

Were people not clean shaven and in a suit?? Coloured hair??

Dunno if that's scaraism, but yes when I was there. As I said nothing wrong with it, but I think it's professional to be suited, shaved and uniform if you get me.

Questions about them went fine except dry powder label. He asked me what effect foam has on a fire I said smothering effect and he wanted what else it would do and I didn't know on the spot he said it would have a cooling effect wouldn't it

Haha, he was doing that with me also, giving the answer but with a question. Trying to draw you back in for more grilling.

• Advertisement

Dunno if that's scaraism, but yes when I was there. As I said nothing wrong with it, but I think it's professional to be suited, shaved and uniform if you get me.

No it's not sarcasm at all... Might as well go in shorts and a t-shirt if you're not gonna bother to shave.

Haha, he was doing that with me also, giving the answer but with a question. Trying to draw you back in for more grilling.

I don't think those small questions would scrap your hole interview. Why you want to be a firefighter,what did you do to prepare and competencies I think would make main points ?

No it's not sarcasm at all... Might as well go in shorts and a t-shirt if you're not gonna bother to shave.

I'd have thought the same, for a chance that doesn't come around that often.

I don't think those small questions would scrap your hole interview. Why you want to be a firefighter,what did you do to prepare and competencies I think would make main points ?

Just hope that I got some type of pass out of the Offaly guy, he has me really thinking it's all over. I'd be surprised to see a place for me on panel next week.

Just hope that I got some type of pass out of the Offaly guy, he has me really thinking it's all over. I'd be surprised to see a place for me on panel next week.

Seems like we had identical interviews really and feelings about it

I was delighted with how my interview went when the first two were done, then the offaly bloke started and I got the first 3 or 4 things he asked me down to a tee, I was thinking DFB here I come lol

then it was curveball time lol how long does a fire extinguisher last

Is the cooling agent in a C02 extinguisher heavier or lighter than air

I guessed it was heavier but when I left the interview I was feeling I made a bollox of the hole thing

Head was wrecked for days

We'll surely know one will walk in there and get maximum points on everything. We just have to wait and see. Seemingly panel be finalised Monday hopefully letters sent Tuesday

Anyone get asked where they saw themselves in 5 years if they didn't get in

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

I had board 1.
    Got 2 on the spot scenarios. One of the HR girl and Offaly guy.
    One was how do you deal with a difficult customer in your job.
    Second was you are a fire warden on a construction site that has a fire. What do you do?
    They all wanted to know about my eduaction as I've just finished a degree last year. The DFS guy asked me to explain alot of things to ensure I wasn't making things up. He also asked did I only visit 1 station.

Got the fire extinguishers question. I knew the colour and what they are used for however he asked what type of foam was the cream one. I just said to be honest I don't know. He did tell me when I got some things right. I also said I'm an active person and he said that's good because that what we are looking for. Also had to explain what I should do when a fire drill takes place in work. He was defo the guy looking to throw you off.

• Advertisement

How many stations did everyone visit?

Did anyone visit the OBI

Advertisement