Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Well that's a terrible sign him saying that ha

Not at all I was to try and throw me, didn't work hence his smirk I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Not at all I was to try and throw me, didn't work hence his smirk I'd imagine

Well it's not a very professional way to approach a question in an interview then "have ya bothered"

Well it's not a very professional way to approach a question in an interview then "have ya bothered"

I wasn't going to tell him that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

What planet are you on lad?

The bantz are off the charts in a job like this. I would see a question like that as a warm invitation to relax a little. Not unprofessional at all.

Not attacking you at all, just saying.

stringbox wrote: »
    What planet are you on lad?

The bantz are off the charts in a job like this. I would see a question like that as a warm invitation to relax a little. Not unprofessional at all.

Not attacking you at all, just saying.

See I'm taking it in the way that he was being smart tho. Hard to judge emotion threw reading this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

See I'm taking it in the way that he was being smart tho. Hard to judge emotion threw reading this

Yeah true, I suppose you were there and I wasn't but you know what I'm saying.

stringbox wrote: »
    Yeah true, I suppose you were there and I wasn't but you know what I'm saying.

I get you 100%. Just to me one of the guys was purely there to get at you. Maybe this guy ment it in a light way who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

I think its fair to say that everyone got asked a qurlestion in a kind if ignorant way to see how we reacted? They were pushing buttons to see reactions under pressure and in a stressful enviroment. All part of the role and a real life demonstration. Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine day after day asking basic questions in the FB field and candidates not knowing basic stuff or attending stations. If i was sitting there i would want to push bottons and get reactions and find the most prepared lads for the job

I think its fair to say that everyone got asked a qurlestion in a kind if ignorant way to see how we reacted? They were pushing buttons to see reactions under pressure and in a stressful enviroment. All part of the role and a real life demonstration. Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine day after day asking basic questions in the FB field and candidates not knowing basic stuff or attending stations. If i was sitting there i would want to push bottons and get reactions and find the most prepared lads for the job

Exactly it's to see your reaction, luckily I didn't change my tone once,

Later on he asked me do the FB and Ambo work together,

I said yes DFB is a fully integrated fi.... (he cuts across me)

What does that mean, fully integrated?

It means they all work together as part of a team

OK good carry on

LOL

Did anyone get asked how you tackle an Electrical fire? That was a trick question. Electrical fires do not have their own class anymore. They used to be E class. The current line of thinking by FB is that you isolate the source of the electricity and fight the remaining fire with an extinguisher that is suited. So if its the plastic shroud tackle that. So its more an an answer than just C02 or Powder etc

• Advertisement

Did anyone get asked how you tackle an Electrical fire? That was a trick question. Electrical fires do not have their own class anymore. They used to be E class. The current line of thinking by FB is that you isolate the source of the electricity and fight the remaining fire with an extinguisher that is suited. So if its the plastic shroud tackle that. So its more an an answer than just C02 or Powder etc

A mate of mine was asked what extinguisher should you use on an Electrical fire, he said use a dry powder extinguisher, that's the correct answer though isn't it

These are things a civilian wouldn't know readily. We're not firefighters I don't understand how stuff like that could count you out. We had competencies to meet that should be main points base. We have academically proven ourselfs in aptitude ?

A mate of mine was asked what extinguisher should you use on an Electrical fire, he said use a dry powder extinguisher, that's the correct answer though isn't it

yes. its not a wrong answer. But the home run answer would be the other one.

What ive learned from this process is you can do no preparation and make and it will show a mile off (not visiting stations, not reading up on DFB etc) do some preparation and it might go well and you might not get asked a curve ball. And then you can just study for real as if you were doing a basic FF course and learn it for real first hand. Thats what i chose to do and im hoping that not only did i answer all of my questions well but was able to elaborate on them and state my source of learning. did anyone come across this document when studying? the amount of information on it was astounding!

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/fire-brigade/dublin-fire-brigade-fire-and-emergency-operations/supporting_documents/DFB%20who%20we%20are.pdf

These are things a civilian wouldn't know readily. We're not firefighters I don't understand how stuff like that could count you out. We had competencies to meet that should be main points base. We have academically proven ourselfs in aptitude ?

no absolutely not it would not hurt you at all. im only trying to say that in each question there can be an opportunity to absolutely knock it out of the park to demonstrate your level of understanding and knowledge of the question.

no absolutely not it would not hurt you at all. im only trying to say that in each question there can be an opportunity to absolutely knock it out of the park to demonstrate your level of understanding and knowledge of the question.

Just seems that people are drifting away from the fact your competencies are your man focus on interview. These are small points based questions. Fantastic if get them all correct but in the bigger picture how did people feel about the main questions ?

Just seems that people are drifting away from the fact your competencies are your man focus on interview. These are small points based questions. Fantastic if get them all correct but in the bigger picture how did people feel about the main questions ?

Personally and with respect i would disagree. Yes we all had the competencies its effectlively an open book exam. A candidate needs to excel in other areas to stand above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pacepower1989

Personally and with respect i would disagree. Yes we all had the competencies its effectlively an open book exam. A candidate needs to excel in other areas to stand above the rest.
    I would agree with you. It's a very tight competition with from what I have heard candidates who are very well prepared. How else are they going to cull the numbers other than asking these questions.
    Just delighted the finish line is in sight and I can get on with my life whatever the result. Whoever makes the panel it will obviously be well deserved. They can also look forward to IMO the best career in the world.

I don't mean disregard the other questions at all. I got asked loads of off the ball stuff done my prep and it went good. But competencies I felt went great they had no follow up questions. From what iv heard off people a lot of guys felt they got on great so maybe in that way your correct those questions may have been make or break

I think everyone will say their competencies went well everyone knew they were going to be asked them. So assume everyone did an excellent job on that what else is there to scrutinise? Fire extinguishers and knowledge of the role. Personally i believe thats what will seperate candidates.

I think everyone will say their competencies went well everyone knew they were going to be asked them. So assume everyone did an excellent job on that what else is there to scrutinise? Fire extinguishers and knowledge of the role. Personally i believe thats what will seperate candidates.
    Does previous family stand to you much at all ?

• Advertisement

Does previous family stand to you much at all ?

I have no idea, i would imagine saying you have a relative in the brigade would do nothing. If you can demonstrate how you have a better understanding of the job and have researched deeper than most people because you have a relative would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

You'd be completely nuts to think otherwise

You'd be completely nuts to think otherwise

I mean in the way you would have a good understanding of what's required of you as you may have grown up with family in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Competencies absolutely form the main scoring for the interview generally 100 points per competency are awarded. The other peripheral questions are designed to test your knowledge and personality! As I said yesterday I don't believe not knowing the colour pin on a co2 extinguisher will fail you over someone who does. It's how you respond to not knowing it is key. I readily admitted it escaped my mind but I'm going to try and problem solve on the spot and came up with an educated guess. Does knowing how far a ladder from a wall should be over someone else who doesn't determine you will be better at the job!? No is the answer! I could see they wanted to give me the job they were encouraging me I personally just didn't sell myself enough. They loved the fact I was a carpenter and personal trainer aswell as a current civil servant. Your cv has alot to do with it.

Competencies absolutely form the main scoring for the interview generally 100 points per competency are awarded. The other peripheral questions are designed to test your knowledge and personality! As I said yesterday I don't believe not knowing the colour pin on a co2 extinguisher will fail you over someone who does. It's how you respond to not knowing it is key. I readily admitted it escaped my mind but I'm going to try and problem solve on the spot and came up with an educated guess. Does knowing how far a ladder from a wall should be over someone else who doesn't determine you will be better at the job!? No is the answer! I could see they wanted to give me the job they were encouraging me I personally just didn't sell myself enough. They loved the fact I was a carpenter and personal trainer aswell as a current civil servant. Your cv has alot to do with it.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I believe not knowing any question will reflect badly. Time will tell if you get in it will prove me wrong. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I was asked the electrical question. I think I said co2 can be used on it, but in the heat of the moment I might have said foam. Which is wrong as it would be water based and you'd end up aggravating the effects.

Then asked about oil (kitchen), which I think I said foam for. But looking online, its wet chemical, in which I have never seen one around any industrial kitchen in retail.

Alot of thinking and say it came across in the interview.

Anyone get asked the communicating with a non native English speaker? I just said I would use my hands more so and slow my speaking down, if possible get a colleague to help with communication, take time etc..

Picture the scenario you know everything recite it off like a parrot! No personality no likeability. How do you think you will fair? Compared to a guy who has absolutely done alot of work. Doesn't know the odd question which are minor questions but shows honesty, integrity and control and demonstrates composure and an on the spot ability to problem solve and most importantly is likeable. I know who I would give the job too.

Picture the scenario you know everything recite it off like a parrot! No personality no likeability. How do you think you will fair? Compared to a guy who has absolutely done alot of work. Doesn't know the odd question which are minor questions but shows honesty, integrity and control and demonstrates composure and an on the spot ability to problem solve and most importantly is likeable. I know who I would give the job too.

i would imagine both candidates you described would not score well. They re not looking to recruit robots lads are working together 15hrs a day then need lads to gel, equally they are not going to want half cocked lads that half learned it. this is just my opinion. time will tell us the truth.

Not knowing the colour pin on co2 doesn't mean you didn't prepare! Everyone is flawed it's how you deal with that fact is key. I have never heard anyone knowing everything at interview! The panels were all nice to everyone of us but over 300 of us have failed. Your cv and the fact you have done AFS and a trade etc are huge points alone. Plus by your account you did a great interview. If they don't like you it's very hard to pass you. I have done dozens of interviews over my life and probably more than most on this forum as I'm way older than the majority. Likeability is vital. As is what have you done with your life. Reciting colour pins all day doesn't mean your right for the job.

• Advertisement

Reciting colour pins all day doesn't mean your right for the job.

No not at all, but in a competition that is as fierce as this it might not lose you points but it will gain points for the guy that does answer. Especially for lads on this forum. In the first week lads spilled the beans on fire extinguishers that they were being quizzed and grilled. If someone read that and didnt learn it then there is no helping them.

Advertisement