Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

No not at all, but in a competition that is as fierce as this it might not lose you points but it will gain points for the guy that does answer. Especially for lads on this forum. In the first week lads spilled the beans on fire extinguishers that they were being quizzed and grilled. If someone read that and didnt learn it then there is no helping them.

Defo could have been the 1% for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

No not at all, but in a competition that is as fierce as this it might not lose you points but it will gain points for the guy that does answer. Especially for lads on this forum. In the first week lads spilled the beans on fire extinguishers that they were being quizzed and grilled. If someone read that and didnt learn it then there is no helping them.

Yes and shame on those idiots for spilling the beans. I was in first day of interviews and I admit I didn't know the pin colour but the label clearly tells you what extinguisher is what. I did my ground work spent almost 9 hours doing mock interviews in fire stations. Visited four stations and if the colour of co2 pin fails me well then so be it. But knowing or not knowing that and putting as much emphasis on it as you suggest the panel might is lunacy. Your cv dictates so many questions and is what makes your interview unique to others. Is it fair to pass an 18 year old who answered everything over a guy twice his age who knew most but has demonstrated he has achieved alot in his life developed a huge amount of skills. Clearly did the groundwork as he answered most but let's cut him dead because of an extinguisher pin he didn't know the colour of! That is the million dollar question when it comes to competency based interviews!! How effective are they at getting the right candidate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Yes and shame on those idiots for spilling the beans. I was in first day of interviews and I admit I didn't know the pin colour but the label clearly tells you what extinguisher is what. I did my ground work spent almost 9 hours doing mock interviews in fire stations. Visited four stations and if the colour of co2 pin fails me well then so be it. But knowing or not knowing that and putting as much emphasis on it as you suggest the panel might is lunacy. Your cv dictates so many questions and is what makes your interview unique to others. Is it fair to pass an 18 year old who answered everything over a guy twice his age who knew most but has demonstrated he has achieved alot in his life developed a huge amount of skills. Clearly did the groundwork as he answered most but let's cut him dead because of an extinguisher pin he didn't know the colour of! That is the million dollar question when it comes to competency based interviews!! How effective are they at getting the right candidate?

It's fine margins though between in and out so every bit counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

The way I see it is that extinguishing fire is the major part of the job. You are going for a position of 'firefighter' so knowing what type of equipment extinguishes various fires is the basic fundamentals.

Training will teach you techniques etc but I would have thought this to be one of the guaranteed questions

KiloDelta wrote: »
    The way I see it is that extinguishing fire is the major part of the job. You are going for a position of 'firefighter' so knowing what type of equipment extinguishes various fires is the basic fundamentals.

Training will teach you techniques etc but I would have thought this to be one of the guaranteed questions
    Why you need to know the pin colour is beyond me! They are clearly labelled! Ladder 9 metres high how far from wall should it be?

• Advertisement

Why you need to know the pin colour is beyond me! They are clearly labelled! Ladder 9 metres high how far from wall should it be?

One third of the working height for the ladder.

The cylinders are colour coded for a reason I guess. If they were all just labelled in black stickers then it's harder to tell them apart. But you have to know the colours first for that to make a difference to you!

The cylinders are colour coded for a reason I guess. If they were all just labelled in black stickers then it's harder to tell them apart. But you have to know the colours first for that to make a difference to you!

Research suggests it can be 1:4 also he said 1:3 on the day but it's open to debate! Guess me an extinguishers are going to hate each other for life! Am i the only one who didnt know all questions? Everyone seems to think they flew it! Going to be alot of upset people next week! I have assessed my attempt as a neutral onlooker and it's borderline for me.

Research suggests it can be 1:4 also he said 1:3 on the day but it's open to debate! Guess me an extinguishers are going to hate each other for life! Am i the only one who didnt know all questions? Everyone seems to think they flew it! Going to be alot of upset people next week! I have assessed my attempt as a neutral onlooker and it's borderline for me.

Do you have a safepass by any chance? If you have on your application form that you have a safepass you could be expected to know the ladder question as it is covered in that course about safe working heights and distances for ladders.

I can't remember being questioned like people are saying here. My interview was more "tell me"...

Do you have a safepass by any chance? If you have on your application form that you have a safepass you could be expected to know the ladder question as it is covered in that course about safe working heights and distances for ladders.

I can't remember being questioned like people are saying here. My interview was more "tell me"...
    I had a safe pass about 15 years ago but not on my application. He asked me because I'm a carpenter or was and said I'm sure you have been up on a ladder in your time! 1:3 is not entirely correct 1:4 is also correct so going by him I got that wrong as I said 1:4 but research suggests I'm also right. So be very interesting to see how I scored on that one!

I had a safe pass about 15 years ago but not on my application. He asked me because I'm a carpenter or was and said I'm sure you have been up on a ladder in your time! 1:3 is not entirely correct 1:4 is also correct so going by him I got that wrong as I said 1:4 but research suggests I'm also right. So be very interesting to see how I scored on that one!

I didn't get asked that but as a rule of thumb in the fire service it is 1:3 according to a DFB FF I met.

It's not like "get the measuring tape out lads" I wouldn't think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

I felt as if they didn't ask me a lot of questions on the assumption I'd know it from reading my application and the way I answered other questions they asked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Was anybody else on board 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

stringbox wrote: »

I had them yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pacepower1989

I had board 2 they were all sound. Really enjoyed talking to them, they stuck to my cv never tried to trip me up. I was in and out in 22mins. If that's good or bad I will soon find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

I had board 2 they were all sound. Really enjoyed talking to them, they stuck to my cv never tried to trip me up. I was in and out in 22mins. If that's good or bad I will soon find out.

Hard to judge if time wise it's good or bad thing I was in for approx 40 min

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Hard to judge if time wise it's good or bad thing I was in for approx 40 min

The ladder should be 1 metre out from the wall for every 6metres high, so 9 metres = 1.5m from wall

My brother had board 2, said they were unbelievably sound, he was in there for 34 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

My guess is it's an EU directive so if you go to Italy you know which is which, same for when there here. TBH never even noticed.

Oh yeah he asked about assembly points with me. Instead of me saying we meet at the assembly point in work, I said the name of the point. And he was like, so you meet at the wall.

The ladder should be 1 metre out from the wall for every 6metres high, so 9 metres = 1.5m from wall

My brother had board 2, said they were unbelievably sound, he was in there for 34 mins

Not sure about that ladder info?

There is a huge difference in 22 minutes and 34 mins. Obviously 12 minutes but that's a whole lot of talking difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Not sure about that ladder info?

There is a huge difference in 22 minutes and 34 mins. Obviously 12 minutes but that's a whole lot of talking difference!

I know A firefighter that did his interview back in 2007 he was in and out in less than 15 min and came 11th in the OFM .

Generally short interviews are bad! Rather than timing it. Ask yourself were they encouraging you, what was their body language like? We're they interested? We're they leaning towards you etc?

The other side of a short interview is you scored high and there is no more to say but as a general rule it suggests they have ran out of things to ask you and made their mind up. But it's not set in stone.

• Advertisement

Will you be giving us the heads up when the letters have been posted Arrubarrena?!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

I had board 2 everything I was asked was from my cv . Still had to answer the questions well . But sounds a lot better than the other boards which put the lads on the spot . I still found it hard going I'd a lot on the CV . Lasted 25 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Just to clarify I am not giving out as I may be misunderstood but just out of pure interest how come London firefighters would want to transfer to the DFB?

Just to clarify I am not giving out as I may be misunderstood but just out of pure interest how come London firefighters would want to transfer to the DFB?
    Because they are probably from Dublin and went over to LFB to become a firefighter to make themselves into better candidates for DFB.
    Same with paramedics from NAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Because they are probably from Dublin and went over to LFB to become a firefighter to make themselves into better candidates for DFB.
    Same with paramedics from NAS.

In that case all the paramedics and FF are going to get it. Is there no chance for us Joe soaps who have normal jobs and have dreamt of this for years ?

It does seems unfair that so many current FF and paramedics are in for it but there is no law against it. As I said before they are not likely to fail are they? Seems there are at least 50 who are either current firefighter or paramedics from what others have said. So essentially a full class! Limits us outsiders massively you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

In that case all the paramedics and FF are going to get it. Is there no chance for us Joe soaps who have normal jobs and have dreamt of this for years ?

Not necessarily. What if the interviewers delved deep into their paramedic work and the answers they gave werent the text book replies? They may have picked up bad habbits and gave incorrect answers meaning they dont stick to what they were thought. But joe soap might have learned stuff in his/her job, for example, which relate to dealing with difficult people and gave text book answers that correspond to dfb protocol. It Could nearly work against them if the interviewers went hard on them. Ever the optomist 😀!!

It does seems unfair that so many current FF and paramedics are in for it but there is no law against it. As I said before they are not likely to fail are they? Seems there are at least 50 who are either current firefighter or paramedics from what others have said. So essentially a full class! Limits us outsiders massively you would think.
    Why is it unfair? If someone who really wants to get into dfb makes themselves a good candidate by moving to London to join LFB to prove they really want the job and prove they can do the job then hats off to them. I think they deserve the job. If anyone on here gets bad news next week and wants dfb badly enough they will do the same thing for the next time dfb recruit. Nothing unfair about it.
    On another note I guarantee not every single firefighter and paramedic will get onto the panel.

Why is it unfair? If someone who really wants to get into dfb makes themselves a good candidate by moving to London to join LFB to prove they really want the job and prove they can do the job then hats off to them. I think they deserve the job. If anyone on here gets bad news next week and wants dfb badly enough they will do the same thing for the next time dfb recruit. Nothing unfair about it.
    On another note I guarantee not every single firefighter and paramedic will get onto the panel.

Good point. But we don't know for sure they all moved away to seek a job in LFB in the hope of one day getting into DFB none of us know anyone's true motives. And yes not all will pass interview but alot should. One thing is for sure there are going to be alot of vacancies in other emergency services after this competition.

• Advertisement

If you've dreamt of dfb for years and are unsuccessful next week and actually really want dfb apply and join NAS or another fire service between now and the next dfb recruitment.

Advertisement