Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Definitely more than 464 I know someone who was after that in the OOM

Yeah my friend was in 470s

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

6900 applied, 10% were invited through = 690 less 20% for stage 2 = 552 less say 30 for no shows 520 interviewed?? Hows that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

484 invited for interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Be interesting to see numbers for ESC competition. Id imagine it will be very low considering over three months have lapsed since it was advertised and a fair portion who applied for both competitions will get the firefighter removing them also. I would hazard a guess not even a 1000 will sit stage one but positions are way lower than firefighter making it almost as hard to secure the job.

Be interesting to see numbers for ESC competition. Id imagine it will be very low considering over three months have lapsed since it was advertised and a fair portion who applied for both competitions will get the firefighter removing them also. I would hazard a guess not even a 1000 will sit stage one but positions are way lower than firefighter making it almost as hard to secure the job.

yeah but DCC have made it a carrot and stick job, not great terms but the dangle of hope of getting in to the fire brigade through the back door.

the starting wage is tough

Wage:
    The wage scale for the position of Emergency Services Controller, (Temporary), is a 4 point scale. The present wage scale is €20,105, €22,339, €25,983, €28,205 per annum.
    In addition to the basic wage scale payments are made in respect of night and week-end duties, Sunday and Public Holiday premiums as applicable.

thats a starting rate of €9.91 p/h Before Tax and deductions Minimum wage is €9.15 p/h. how ever it does raised up to €13.90 within 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

yeah but DCC have made it a carrot and stick job, not great terms but the dangle of hope of getting in to the fire brigade through the back door.

the starting wage is tough

Wage:
    The wage scale for the position of Emergency Services Controller, (Temporary), is a 4 point scale. The present wage scale is €20,105, €22,339, €25,983, €28,205 per annum.
    In addition to the basic wage scale payments are made in respect of night and week-end duties, Sunday and Public Holiday premiums as applicable.

thats a starting rate of €9.91 p/h Before Tax and deductions Minimum wage is €9.15 p/h. how ever it does raised up to €13.90 within 3 years.

And fÜck me, we have Luas drivers complaining there jobs are stressful. I thought it was starting at 24k, I suppose we will always have people applying even if the pay wouldn't even keep a tent above your head. Madness.

I was going to apply but that pay and the stress of another comp. Think I will take a few months off.

TallGlass wrote: »
    And fÜck me, we have Luas drivers complaining there jobs are stressful. I thought it was starting at 24k, I suppose we will always have people applying even if the pay wouldn't even keep a tent above your head. Madness.

I was going to apply but that pay and the stress of another comp. Think I will take a few months off.
    You haven't got your results yet don't jump the gun ! People might get nice surprises

Enlighten me

Ah Harry, chill out there now. That user has been spot on and sound giving out info. No need to be so heavy. We don't want to scare them away.

TallGlass wrote: »

exactly my opinion. Personally im only interested in DFB, wouldnt do retained or move to UK to get a job as a FF. Zero interest in joining the Garda so this is the only profession i want. Its a vocation not an interest. The pay has been steadily dropping over the last few years. I remember in 2006 a buddy of mine was in DFB and I asked him if he fancied going for pints on a sunday night. He said he was waiting to get a call for sunday night shift overtime. said he would get about €1000 for it before tax. now i have no reason to doubt him but i couldnt see an recruit since then getting within an asses roar of that. Nurses and Garda are in the same boat. people who want it not because its cool or fashionable but because they are drawn to it and feel an urge to be part of it. And because senior management know there are people that will do the job for free they can keep slashing away at the pay. And yet you can start out driving a LUAS at €32k up to €42500 after 9 years! Im not knocking Luas drivers. Any person that works hard deserves to be paid. But tell me how you can justify a tram driver getting paid nearly double a firefighter paramedic who is dealing with life threatening issues daily. the mind boggles!

No idea, I think the general public are unaware how much Garda, Firefighters, Nurses are paid when starting out. It's 24k basic for both. I'm a Reserve Garda myself but what the Garda put up with for the pay and most are seriously intelligent and easily get 70/80k in an IT role, they would be snapped up, I'm in IT so hense the comparison but I guess it is a calling, I would drop my IT role for this no problem. Others would think I am mad dropping serious pay. I know one person going from 40k to 24k with AGS, but it's what they want. But for this level of competion the compensation isn't exactly on par, you'd expect the compensation level to be around 45/50k with how cut throat this comp had been.

• Advertisement

You can't compare private sector and public sector. If you want a well paid job work for a private company. Nobody has a gun to anyone's head to accept a poor salary. As was mentioned this job is more of a calling than anything else. With shift allowance though it is still a very attractive package.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Delboy43

Hi guys New to this I was in last week for my interview, I thought I did ok till reading back on this best of luck to all involved

There seems to be a lot of speculation over what they are looking for I didn't get asked a lot about the competencies they asked a lot about my job which I was trying to drop the competencies into hence a lot of it was on the spot and all the prep I did on scenarios to demonstrate the competencies was wasted.

Yes they only asked me two competencies also and they were phrased differently to how they were worded on our letter. So I had to clarify were they asking me a general question or was this now a question about my competencies. The plus for you in last is your wait is short and you had longer to prepare.

Yes I know what you mean about the wait killer alright actually having longer time to prepare went a bit against me as it fell in line with assignments out of college so my head was a bit like cabbage between work college and trying to prep but hey what's done is done. I found them moving me along and I didn't get to elaborate as much as I wanted on the questions asked, I was asked what fears I had and what was my biggest achievement in life to date, off topic of the competencies. Just be interesting to know the numbers they are looking for reading back there has been huge differences on numbers quoted did anyone actually ask the board about numbers? They never asked had I any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Sounds like they were a bit rough on you. I wonder if they are less keen on college students this time after so many declined job offers in 2007.

Never thought of it that way regarding the college 😱, they did ask about the course as I'm an electrician and I am doing a part time engineering course, why I picked the course was it relevant to my current job. Wasn't aware they were against people in further education because of the 2007 panel

Delboy43 wrote: »
    Never thought of it that way regarding the college 😱, they did ask about the course as I'm an electrician and I am doing a part time engineering course, why I picked the course was it relevant to my current job. Wasn't aware they were against people in further education because of the 2007 panel
    People are really speculating on this very badly. If you done a good interview and made the points your in with just as much a chance as a guy that packs shelves or a guy that's an astronaut. DFB usually take on down to earth guys with good personality and attitude. We're all in with the same shout !

Grahamfire wrote: »
    People are really speculating on this very badly. If you done a good interview and made the points your in with just as much a chance as a guy that packs shelves or a guy that's an astronaut. DFB usually take on down to earth guys with good personality and attitude. We're all in with the same shout !

It's the unknown, I'm sure work/life experiences comes into play aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pacepower1989

Arrua would I be extremely optimistic by expecting a letter tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Arrua would I be extremely optimistic by expecting a letter tomorrow?

There getting posted wed I hear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HopefulFireman

DCC are reviewing the scores today and letters will be out by the end of the week

DCC are reviewing the scores today and letters will be out by the end of the week

At what stage do you reckon they will be contacting your references, is it only it the event of you being accepted or now as part of the interview phase as I havnt informed my job I am going through this process

Delboy43 wrote: »
    At what stage do you reckon they will be contacting your references, is it only it the event of you being accepted or now as part of the interview phase as I havnt informed my job I am going through this process

I'm afraid I couldn't answer that question ;-) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Source?

Source?

honreal wrote: »
    Source?

DCC

DCC

Did you contact them or is this word of mouth? Im not challenging you I have just read through an awful lot of rubbish on this forum so you never know who is credible and who is passing on a Chinese whisper.

honreal wrote: »
    Did you contact them or is this word of mouth? Im not challenging you I have just read through an awful lot of rubbish on this forum so you never know who is credible and who is passing on a Chinese whisper.

No its accurate info, a friend of mine contacted them while I was with him

• Advertisement

No its accurate info, a friend of mine contacted them while I was with him

Cheers, I appreciate the info.

Advertisement