Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

TallGlass wrote: »
    Genuinely interested to see what way I was marked. Funny thing of all the people I spoke too it was never mentioned I needed to know about fire extinguishers, water mains or communicating to non native speakers.

If I was too do it all over again, I firstly wouldn't bother with any of them courses and secondly not put my application in ASAP.

So guessing it be a good two years before they'll have another comp.

Yes all the interview prep and aptitude prep courses are just money spinners. Everything is available online or YouTube. I'm going for calltaker end of month then that's it for me! You are correct I was first to be interviewed going late especially if you are on boards is definitely an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Delboy43 wrote: »
    I applied for feedback myself, does anyone know how the feedback is given is it a score or remarks from the interview panel, don't think I'll go for it again prob couldn't afford the cut in 2 years plus I'll be 2 years older I'm 32 now so 34 is pushing it for this type of role given the retirement age, have to get my head back into the books last couple of months have been a whirlwind

I'm not sure, but I was speaking to my friends dad who was on a panel, and you can apply for the exact sheets of paper they used and wrote on under the FOI. Apparently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

I'm not sure, but I was speaking to my friends dad who was on a panel, and you can apply for the exact sheets of paper they used and wrote on under the FOI. Apparently so.

Yes you can, it falls under the Freedom of Information Act so it's the law.

I think two years is optimistic for a new competition. I would say it will be at least double that. I'm 37 so fcuked!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Delboy43

That's great it'll prob go like "what's this lad talking about" haha

• Advertisement

Yes all the interview prep and aptitude prep courses are just money spinners. Everything is available online or YouTube. I'm going for calltaker end of month then that's it for me! You are correct I was first to be interviewed going late especially if you are on boards is definitely an advantage.

Yeah was looking online and everywhere really. Not a hope I am apply for that call taker role, firstly the money is ridiculous at 20k and I couldn't be arsed with another competition there way too taxing.

Going late most defiently is an advantage, imagine if I had seen that post about the fire extinguishers on here and had my interview the next day. I would be getting a few more questions extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillybally

Can't believe it, made the panel, in the top 30 so first class :) I'm sorry for anyone who didn't make it this time.

Yeah was looking online and everywhere really. Not a hope I am apply for that call taker role, firstly the money is ridiculous at 20k and I couldn't be arsed with another competition there way too taxing.

Going late most defiently is an advantage, imagine if I had seen that post about the fire extinguishers on here and had my interview the next day. I would be getting a few more questions extra points.

I nailed the fire extinguisher question I'm confined spaces and BA trained occupational first aid AND Mewp have worked in explosive atmospheres (petrochemical) and am trained in OCS isolations attend a lot of the RTAs in my job and am studying engineering, don't know what I had to do more so I wouldn't dwell on the fire extinguisher question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Delboy43 wrote: »
    I nailed the fire extinguisher question I'm confined spaces and BA trained occupational first aid AND Mewp have worked in explosive atmospheres (petrochemical) and am trained in OCS isolations attend a lot of the RTAs in my job and am studying engineering, don't know what I had to do more so I wouldn't dwell on the fire extinguisher question

Lot of experience here but something I noted was for all the talk about the standard being high with Paramedics, AP's and Firefighters from England being interviewed I still got top 10 with none of that professional ES experience. I know a couple of lads now in top 30 and only 1 is ES worker. I would love to know the backgrounds of the top 50 to compare and contrast

honreal wrote: »
    Lot of experience here but something I noted was for all the talk about the standard being high with Paramedics, AP's and Firefighters from England being interviewed I still got top 10 with none of that professional ES experience. I know a couple of lads now in top 30 and only 1 is ES worker. I would love to know the backgrounds of the top 50 to compare and contrast

You must have aced everything. What are these "key words " the panel are supposedly looking for? Your examples must have been excellent. Did you get caught out at all?

• Advertisement

Yea that's it a lot of huff n puff about NAS and LFB staff applying top 10 is a great achievement well done I wasn't given the opportunity to explore my experience felt everything was rushed through but thems are the breaks not going to dwell on it I've spent enough time thinking about it best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Panel is valid until March 2019 if that's any indication as to how long before the next recruitment will be

5500 wrote: »
    Panel is valid until March 2019 if that's any indication as to how long before the next recruitment will be

Good spot. I stopped reading after my panel number!
    You must have aced everything. What are these "key words " the panel are supposedly looking for? Your examples must have been excellent. Did you get caught out at all?

I didn't get caught out but there were certainly questions I wasn't prepared for bar the obvious ones from googling firefighter interview questions. I just took a sec to compose an answer, didn't bull**** and keep getting across who I am, it's a sales pitch after all. Not sure about the keywords to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Absolutely over the moon, made the panel and this is my first time trying! Placed between 60-70, as said previously by someone else January would actually suit me better than June but either way I will work it out. Actually can't believe it, this was my first proper interview and all and was so relaxed and informal and in was done after like 25mins I honestly didn't know what to think. It was a long wait and a gruiling contest and I didn't get my hopes up but this is actually a dream come through! Congrats to everyone else who made panel and hard luck if you didn't, great achievement to even get this far !

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dave087

Congrats to everybody who made the panel. Just out of interest what is the general age of all of you that made the panel? I'm just curious as I'm now mid 20's myself and didn't get it this time unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

This is my first time posting on this thread and I'm glad I didn't before now. I made the panel, top 50 (40-50). This is my first time applying, did no pre courses, no inside contacts or previous family in the service.

I got asked no questions about fire extinguishers, non natives or anything to do with fire fighting in the slightest. My interview was 100% competency based, I didn't spoof, exaggerate or lie in any answer. They had my cv/application form in front of them with certain elements highlighted and I'm guessing this is what they asked me to elaborate on.

People need to understand that this is a job that you are either suited for or not. All the pre courses in the world and preparation can not make up for a person's non suitability for a role.

Congratulations to everyone who made the cut and hard luck to anyone who didn't. There is hundreds of other jobs out there.

We don't get to decide if we're suited for a specific job or not, that is down to fate. What's for you will never pass you by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

No luck for me guys, well done to all who got through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Same here! :(

Im gonna sign off from here for now. Not nice hearing of so many peoples dreams being smashed!

Chin up guys/girls. I know it's easy to for me to say when I have a place on the panel but you won't do yourself any favors dwelling on it or reading info on what comes next for the panel.

to everyone else congrats, this is the start of a great thing for you.

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    This is my first time posting on this thread and I'm glad I didn't before now. I made the panel, top 50 (40-50). This is my first time applying, did no pre courses, no inside contacts or previous family in the service.

I got asked no questions about fire extinguishers, non natives or anything to do with fire fighting in the slightest. My interview was 100% competency based, I didn't spoof, exaggerate or lie in any answer. They had my cv/application form in front of them with certain elements highlighted and I'm guessing this is what they asked me to elaborate on.

People need to understand that this is a job that you are either suited for or not. All the pre courses in the world and preparation can not make up for a person's non suitability for a role.

Congratulations to everyone who made the cut and hard luck to anyone who didn't. There is hundreds of other jobs out there.

We don't get to decide if we're suited for a specific job or not, that is down to fate. What's for you will never pass you by.

What I don't get is why you were not asked firefighter questions and they stuck strictly to competencies with you. What dictates the direction the panel go in? I was grilled on some of my previous jobs etc and only asked one competency my motivation for the job. And they asked for an example of when I assisted someone which wasn't a competency. If everyone's interview is so different how can they score us as one unit? How can you assess your suited to it until you try it?

• Advertisement

What I don't get is why you were not asked firefighter questions and they stuck strictly to competencies with you. What dictates the direction the panel go in? I was grilled on some of my previous jobs etc and only asked one competency my motivation for the job. And they asked for an example of when I assisted someone which wasn't a competency. If everyone's interview is so different how can they score us as one unit?

No point dwelling on it. It won't matter, DCC have made up there minds. Personally I think the interview was poor, I also think DCC should have disregarded any scoring based on fire extinguishers based on it need posted up here. That's just my option on it. I'm sure it wasn't my only down fall but it was very poor form from the poster to do it and put it up here.

Anyway, everything is set in stone now so best of luck to all but I am out of here, maybe we will see each other in 2020. I know what I will need for next time and how to approach it. Just glad it's over, just not the result I had hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Sorry to the guys that didn't get it. Smash it next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭DuckyFuzz

Scrapped on to the panel as well. Late 150's.
    Being familiar with the process and the long waits will stand anyone in good stead for the next recruitment.
    Thanks to Arruabarrena for all the information about letters etc. throughout, much appreciated.

Just hoping now they definitely have a 3rd class next year and I can scrape onto it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Chungwun how did you get on?

Wasn't in the competition. Just an interested observer. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

What I don't get is why you were not asked firefighter questions and they stuck strictly to competencies with you. What dictates the direction the panel go in? I was grilled on some of my previous jobs etc and only asked one competency my motivation for the job. And they asked for an example of when I assisted someone which wasn't a competency. If everyone's interview is so different how can they score us as one unit? How can you assess your suited to it until you try it?

Not everyone's interview can be EXACTLY the same. The interviewers will conduct it however they want and as someone said previously, it's a sales pitch at the end of the day. If the questions aren't going your way, it's not hard to steer ur answers towards something that shows ur skills and abilities. They're not gonna hand you perfect questions for ur perfectly prepared answers. At the end of the day, an interview is a perfect competency in itself, seeing how quickly you can think on your feet when things are thrown at you

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

No post for me today. I'm based up North so I probably have a long weekend of waiting ahead of me.

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    Not everyone's interview can be EXACTLY the same. The interviewers will conduct it however they want and as someone said previously, it's a sales pitch at the end of the day. If the questions aren't going your way, it's not hard to steer ur answers towards something that shows ur skills and abilities. They're not gonna hand you perfect questions for ur perfectly prepared answers. At the end of the day, an interview is a perfect competency in itself, seeing how quickly you can think on your feet when things are thrown at you

So the best salesman get it! Selling myself is something I need to work on! It seems mad that you got a strict competency interview which is what it said it would be and others hardly get asked a single specific competency! I appreciate your life experience will dictate specific questions but it was a competency interview and we should have all been asked the four competencies after that let the interview go off in whatever direction they see fit. Anyway it's done and dusted but I felt I got a raw deal during the interview. Good luck to the rest of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

Any idea of medical dates pencilled in?

KiloDelta wrote: »
    Any idea of medical dates pencilled in?

May 9th if I recall correctly

• Advertisement

DuckyFuzz wrote: »
    Scrapped on to the panel as well. Late 150's.
    Being familiar with the process and the long waits will stand anyone in good stead for the next recruitment.
    Thanks to Arruabarrena for all the information about letters etc. throughout, much appreciated.

Just hoping now they definitely have a 3rd class next year and I can scrape onto it..

Panel will be fully used

Advertisement