Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Got in between 40 .45 what does that mean for me . Second class

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

thesamster wrote:
    Got in between 40 .45 what does that mean for me . Second class

Well done. First class for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Made the panel. Happy out. Prob be in the 2nd class

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Hope so . Hard luck to all who got bad news . Age has nothing to do with it believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

Grahamfire wrote: »
    May 9th if I recall correctly

Seems very far away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 pacepower1989

Alright lads got placed 100-110 would I be waiting for third class?? Is there going to be a follow up letter. Still in work so haven't got to see letter posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Medicals pencilled in for mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I placed on panel 50-70. My interview question included. Why do you want to be a firefighter and give and example of how you deal with people incl. Giving an example of when I was a leader for people. The third competency was assessed but not as blatantly obvious, was more specific questions but all could be linked back to what I prepared for competency.

I got asked did I know much abbout fire extinguisher and what to you for what type of fires, I said straight out I wouldn't be overly sure but I did know the different types. I'm a nurse and they asked if we got an fire training and what was our policy which I was able to explain as had a talk on it very recently

Asked if I was a girly girly or did I mind getting mucky/ wet etc. I'm sporty and grew up on a farm so explained this nd the benefits it has in relation to me being a FF.

Asked if I had and fears which kinda caught me on the hope and I ended up joking which I do when nervous but I got a laugh outa all 3 nd obviously didn't hinder my score too much

Also got asked if I visited fire stations which I had. Tara st. And my local retained station. Asked me the difference between two, what appliance were in each and if there was any piece of equipment which stood out or I was suprised to see.

Think that was most of the questions.

I'm only 22 so don't think age has much to do with it, if they think you suit the job and if you prepare you'll succeed.

Does anyone know if 50 is definitely the amount going in first panel? Is the first medical/physical for first class only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I placed on panel 50-70. My interview question included. Why do you want to be a firefighter and give and example of how you deal with people incl. Giving an example of when I was a leader for people. The third competency was assessed but not as blatantly obvious, was more specific questions but all could be linked back to what I prepared for competency.

I got asked did I know much abbout fire extinguisher and what to you for what type of fires, I said straight out I wouldn't be overly sure but I did know the different types. I'm a nurse and they asked if we got an fire training and what was our policy which I was able to explain as had a talk on it very recently

Asked if I was a girly girly or did I mind getting mucky/ wet etc. I'm sporty and grew up on a farm so explained this nd the benefits it has in relation to me being a FF.

Asked if I had and fears which kinda caught me on the hope and I ended up joking which I do when nervous but I got a laugh outa all 3 nd obviously didn't hinder my score too much

Also got asked if I visited fire stations which I had. Tara st. And my local retained station. Asked me the difference between two, what appliance were in each and if there was any piece of equipment which stood out or I was suprised to see.

Think that was most of the questions.

I'm only 22 so don't think age has much to do with it, if they think you suit the job and if you prepare you'll succeed.

Does anyone know if 50 is definitely the amount going in first panel? Is the first medical/physical for first class only?

Shauna well done fantastic getting so high on panel. 100% you should be first class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Up to 60 panel number 60 and many even more should be in with a shot for first class. Remember there's people who may still fail the medical, fail the cpat or have got this far and will decide they don't want the paycut or to relocate ect and won't take the job so always a possibility of the panel being used up quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

Does anybody know how many are on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how many are on the panel

Panel is 160.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Came in between 70 and 90 on the panel.

The best bit of advice I received before the interview was that the board needs to visualise you in the uniform as a member. That means try to look like a firefighter as much as possible i.e clean shaven, tight haircut, tie done well with a clean suit. I have to say I was surprised at the amounts of beards and long hair on the day.

The board hit all of my competencies. Questions such as "Give an example of time working under pressure" "Tell me about a difficult person you dealt with" "Motivation to join"
    "What preparation did you make for today"
    A small few questions on the stations and equipment.
    After all the study for the fire extinguisher curveball it wasn't mentioned at all.
    Interview was around 25 minutes which worried me a little at the time but turned out okay.
    Anyway best of luck to everyone doing a fitness/medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TTL2015

Lads I also made the panel. Made it into first 50. Just a quick note to all who didn't make it. This was my 4th attempt at Dfb for firefighter. Over the last 18 years I've applied not only for that but for the controller job couple of years ago. Cork fire service year before that and the airport twice. Safe to say that persistence pays off. No ES experience at all but I could do the aptitude blind folded at this stage just always seemed to fall down at interview. Whether it's your first, second, third go just keep plugging away. 18 years waiting for this and I wasn't even going to apply this time but you just never know. Congrats to all who got placed and best of luck next time to everyone else. Cheers .

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillybally

Who was it who got date of medical? Nothing on my letter about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

TTL2015 wrote:
    Lads I also made the panel. Made it into first 50. Just a quick note to all who didn't make it. This was my 4th attempt at Dfb for firefighter. Over the last 18 years I've applied not only for that but for the controller job couple of years ago. Cork fire service year before that and the airport twice. Safe to say that persistence pays off. No ES experience at all but I could do the aptitude blind folded at this stage just always seemed to fall down at interview. Whether it's your first, second, third go just keep plugging away. 18 years waiting for this and I wasn't even going to apply this time but you just never know. Congrats to all who got placed and best of luck next time to everyone else. Cheers .

Fair play man. Appreciate hearing that. I still got time to hit future comps so I'm looking forward to the nest one and taking what I learnt from this one and seriously applying myself again next time. There'll be a lot of employment coming up for it I think so thank you for posting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

TTL2015 wrote: »

What did you do different at interview this time. I've failed three interviews now age ain't on my side to wait again. Did you tell them at interview how many times you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stockwood

Hi lads and ladies. I've been following this thread for a while now but this is my first time posting. I got good news this morning and made the panel. This is my third attempt and I was truly delighted when I opened that letter this morning. However I'm also gutted for two close friends of mine who got bad news this morning when opening their letters. I'll say to everyone else what I said to them. You'll bounce back from this experience all the stronger. There will be another opportunity and just make sure you learn from where you think you went wrong and fix it the next time. I learned a lot of things from the 2007 competition and believe me I know what it's like to get that bad news. Come back stronger, show your determination to succeed the next time round and if you want it bad enough it will happen for you. Congratulations to all the people who made the panel. To those that didn't don't lose heart. Go again and make it happen next time. The experience gained during this competition will stand to you in the future. Best of luck with whatever path you choose from here.

What did you do different at interview this time. I've failed three interviews now age ain't on my side to wait again. Did you tell them at interview how many times you tried?

One main thing I did this time was relate anything and everything I talked about to the role of firefighter. Every example I used in the competencies questions was relevant to working as a firefighter and I always mentioned that it was. I was able to convey it to them not from experience in the role but from experience researching the role over several attempts to get in and I let them aware of that also. i could provide a history of courses and achievements since last campaign in 07 as I started doing things then to show a willingness to learn. Simple stuff, first aid, AED, I work in construction and have a lot of cscs cards even though I don't need them it shows your commitment to learning. Do any course you can that can further you in the career your in. i really bulked up my cv since 07. I led them down a garden path for motivation by talking up about some things to do with the brigade that I was confident I knew backwards so they would ask me more on it. And was only delighted with fire safety measures and policies in work / extinguishers etc as i did the courses through work.
    Health and safety and management courses I did Also helped nail procedures questions.
    I left the interview very confident indeed as I knew I'd done well as I had so much to say this time then I had the last. Start now. All 1 or 2 day courses but worth it.
    I made it into last 80 last year for airport. Thought I did well there too. Did two interviews for that with cPat in the middle but never made the final cut. I was getting closer though

TTL2015 wrote: »
    One main thing I did this time was relate anything and everything I talked about to the role of firefighter. Every example I used in the competencies questions was relevant to working as a firefighter and I always mentioned that it was. I was able to convey it to them not from experience in the role but from experience researching the role over several attempts to get in and I let them aware of that also. i could provide a history of courses and achievements since last campaign in 07 as I started doing things then to show a willingness to learn. Simple stuff, first aid, AED, I work in construction and have a lot of cscs cards even though I don't need them it shows your commitment to learning. Do any course you can that can further you in the career your in. i really bulked up my cv since 07. I led them down a garden path for motivation by talking up about some things to do with the brigade that I was confident I knew backwards so they would ask me more on it. And was only delighted with fire safety measures and policies in work / extinguishers etc as i did the courses through work.
    Health and safety and management courses I did Also helped nail procedures questions.
    I left the interview very confident indeed as I knew I'd done well as I had so much to say this time then I had the last. Start now. All 1 or 2 day courses but worth it.
    I made it into last 80 last year for airport. Thought I did well there too. Did two interviews for that with cPat in the middle but never made the final cut. I was getting closer though

Very good people like you really deserve it especially with the determination you have showed. I am simply terrible at selling myself. I, like you have a super cv and it clearly shows my commitment to learning. But that alone isn't enough. I'm not a salesman never was and that is my downfall. It's a stage and the job is awarded to the best actors unfortunately. My main issue is confidence or lack off and that comes through I think. If anything I need to work on that. Well done for showing your commitment and never giving up.

• Advertisement

Very good people like you really deserve it especially with the determination you have showed. I am simply terrible at selling myself. I, like you have a super cv and it clearly shows my commitment to learning. But that alone isn't enough. I'm not a salesman never was and that is my downfall. It's a stage and the job is awarded to the best actors unfortunately. My main issue is confidence or lack off and that comes through I think. If anything I need to work on that. Well done for showing your commitment and never giving up.
    I know what you mean about selling yourself. I'm not the best at it either. I said to myself and the wife insisted that this was definitely the last time and I would just forget about it if unsuccessful this time but to be honest I would of went again. There has been recruits taken in previously in their mid 40's so keep going. I reckon I held back before as I don't like to blow my own trumpet but I said **** it this time and told them I can do this and I can do that and it would serve me well as firefighter because of this and that. To be honest it does sound like you love yourself when you go back over it in your head but I guess that's what they looking for. I feel for you after 3 attempts. It hurts. Hope it works out for u next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

Anyone got any info on the CPAT test? There's a video on YouTube advertising a prep course for it from a Dublin based gym. Just wondering has anyone seen it and if it's the correct format or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Choco2607

Lads my first post, been following it for a while but only after interview process as I didn't want my head mangled, I came top 3! And opening that latter yesterday was the proudest day of my life. I've been trying since 2007 and this was probably my last chance as I'm not getting any younger. I've been rejected 3 times, once full time twice retained an came up short on interviews every time. I put everything into this an it paid off, I wasn't thrown any curve balls in my interview and I answered everything with honestly an passion, I was passionate about DFB because it's all I wanted to do, I got rejected an went away an joined the army, cuz I knew it would come up again within 5 years or so and it did, the army helped massively to my chances cuz I kept hitting key words like team work, motivated, selfless commitment, team player etc. My interview lasted 26 minutes an I left that room confident. 300 people's heart where broken yesterday because everyone seemed to say they got good vibes, I've been there, I've faced that rejection, I've lost sleep, but I've prepared more each time and this panel round I aced it. To the lads that got a no, it will come around again, I know it's a hard pill to take but it will set you up better next time not to fail. For me, this time round, I convinced myself failing was not an option, I visited every fire station in Dublin, took notes on everything there was to know in the yard, control room, specials, pumps, ap's, swr's, and I made sure to let the board know I knew it. To everyone who got in, fair play, it's well deserved, everyone who just missed out, keep going. Does anyone have any idea of the medical date? And the eyesight test? What does that involve? Cheers guys.

Choco2607 wrote: »
    Lads my first post, been following it for a while but only after interview process as I didn't want my head mangled, I came top 3! And opening that latter yesterday was the proudest day of my life. I've been trying since 2007 and this was probably my last chance as I'm not getting any younger. I've been rejected 3 times, once full time twice retained an came up short on interviews every time. I put everything into this an it paid off, I wasn't thrown any curve balls in my interview and I answered everything with honestly an passion, I was passionate about DFB because it's all I wanted to do, I got rejected an went away an joined the army, cuz I knew it would come up again within 5 years or so and it did, the army helped massively to my chances cuz I kept hitting key words like team work, motivated, selfless commitment, team player etc. My interview lasted 26 minutes an I left that room confident. 300 people's heart where broken yesterday because everyone seemed to say they got good vibes, I've been there, I've faced that rejection, I've lost sleep, but I've prepared more each time and this panel round I aced it. To the lads that got a no, it will come around again, I know it's a hard pill to take but it will set you up better next time not to fail. For me, this time round, I convinced myself failing was not an option, I visited every fire station in Dublin, took notes on everything there was to know in the yard, control room, specials, pumps, ap's, swr's, and I made sure to let the board know I knew it. To everyone who got in, fair play, it's well deserved, everyone who just missed out, keep going. Does anyone have any idea of the medical date? And the eyesight test? What does that involve? Cheers guys.
    Congrats choco!!!! Sounds like you wanted it and deserve it!
    Medicals are mid April. I don't know what eyesight test entails but I'm trying to find out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Congrats choco!!!! Sounds like you wanted it and deserve it!
    Medicals are mid April. I don't know what eyesight test entails but I'm trying to find out myself.

Optromter test. 6/7.5 good eye 6/12 bad eye. No colour blindness

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Got to love the amount of gawkers coming out of the woodwork "ive been watching but never posted" absolutely nothing wrong with it but maybe a lesson to the lads that were so eager to discuss tactics of interview before they were complete. Maybe now you might see the level of people that have been watching and picking up tips etc.

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Optromter test. 6/7.5 good eye 6/12 bad eye. No colour blindness
    Thanks graham. Do you know their stance on corrective/ laser surgery?

Thanks graham. Do you know their stance on corrective/ laser surgery?
    You must have unaided vision!
    It clearly states you have to meet the requirements without correction. However certain surgery cannot be detected. Enabling you to slip through!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Choco2607

You must have unaided vision!
    It clearly states you have to meet the requirements without correction. However certain surgery cannot be detected. Enabling you to slip through!

I know a few that have had laser eye surgery. My eyes aren't perfect and I fear this the most. Getting to where I've got an going out on my eyes would be catastrophic! But not sure how long laser eye surgery takes to heal even if I was to go for it. But it would be money well spent in my eyes, no pun intended! ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Choco2607 wrote: »
    I know a few that have had laser eye surgery. My eyes aren't perfect and I fear this the most. Getting to where I've got an going out on my eyes would be catastrophic! But not sure how long laser eye surgery takes to heal even if I was to go for it. But it would be money well spent in my eyes, no pun intended! ðŸ˜

With respect you should have gone to an optician before this competition they can assess you for the role of firefighter requirements. I had laser eye it takes at least six weeks for effects to wear off. Mine cannot be detected by their opticians I made sure of this before I went for the procedure.

Advertisement