Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Optromter test. 6/7.5 good eye 6/12 bad eye. No colour blindness

Colour at the "Dr discretion"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

KiloDelta wrote: »
    Colour at the "Dr discretion"

I know two firefighter who are colour blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Choco2607 wrote: »
    I know a few that have had laser eye surgery. My eyes aren't perfect and I fear this the most. Getting to where I've got an going out on my eyes would be catastrophic! But not sure how long laser eye surgery takes to heal even if I was to go for it. But it would be money well spent in my eyes, no pun intended! ðŸ˜[/quote

Before if you failed the eye test they gave you a chance to get laser surgery. But they have now changed company that do the Medicals so I don't know what the stance of the new company is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Thanks graham. Do you know their stance on corrective/ laser surgery?

Shouldn't matter once you pass you pass say nothing. There a nice crowd not out to throw people

With respect you should have gone to an optician before this competition they can assess you for the role of firefighter requirements. I had laser eye it takes at least six weeks for effects to wear off. Mine cannot be detected by their opticians I made sure of this before I went for the procedure.
    Where did you go to get them lasered? Would you recommend that company? Which procedure can't be detected??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 scoops22

Hi guys

I was lucky enough to make it into the last third of the panel at my first attempt. I have to say I was caught on the hop with a couple questions, I didn't know much about fire extinguishers and I can't imagine what you could have said if you didn't visit a station before the interview, thankfully I did visit one. Hard luck to the lads who didn't get it, I hope you are successful next time.

I have a mortgage, loans and a wife, so I am delighted to be in the last third to start because it gives me some time to try get some stuff in order moneywise for a big cut in wages. Sorry if it has been asked or said already, but what extras do you get on top of the 24K salary when you pass out and start working at your station? And are there yearly increments, if so how much are these? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much shuffling I will need to do to keep my head above water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

scoops22 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I was lucky enough to make it into the last third of the panel at my first attempt. I have to say I was caught on the hop with a couple questions, I didn't know much about fire extinguishers and I can't imagine what you could have said if you didn't visit a station before the interview, thankfully I did visit one. Hard luck to the lads who didn't get it, I hope you are successful next time.

I have a mortgage, loans and a wife, so I am delighted to be in the last third to start because it gives me some time to try get some stuff in order moneywise for a big cut in wages. Sorry if it has been asked or said already, but what extras do you get on top of the 24K salary when you pass out and start working at your station? And are there yearly increments, if so how much are these? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much shuffling I will need to do to keep my head above water.

Congratulations on making the panel. I'm in the same boat as you, mortgage and family. Ideally I'd like the 2nd class to plan a bit financially. I finished 40-50 so it's a bit of a coin toss whether I'd be 1st or 2nd class. If anyone has any info on what an 'average' weekly wage is, including shift allowance and everything else once training is over and we're stationed, it'd be greatly appreciated.

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    Congratulations on making the panel. I'm in the same boat as you, mortgage and family. Ideally I'd like the 2nd class to plan a bit financially. I finished 40-50 so it's a bit of a coin toss whether I'd be 1st or 2nd class. If anyone has any info on what an 'average' weekly wage is, including shift allowance and everything else once training is over and we're stationed, it'd be greatly appreciated.

One things for sure its considerably more then the poor guards !

Where did you go to get them lasered? Would you recommend that company? Which procedure can't be detected??

Optical express ballsbridge. Yes highly recommend them. An assessment is free you can either have Lasek or Lasik. I forget which is undetectable. But your eyes may not be compatible for the undetectable version mine were. Get that assessment done.

Are you told on the day of the medical if you pass / fail or is it waiting on more post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Is the Chester step test part of medical . Can be tough to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

IT_wannabe wrote: »

Im interested to know the take home myself. Havent been able to find it. The salary quoted in the origional paperwork didnt mention shift allowances if i recall. Still trying to get the roster to know how many sundays etc are done a month to factor in double time etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Just a quick heads up on the laser eye surgery.
    I had it done after I got the interview date.
    Vision was 6/9 before and it is now 6/5. The 6/6 line can be read with ease.
    After surgery it takes about 3 weeks to a month for the eyes to heal and red spots to dissappear.
    The vision quality fluctuates in that time but eye drops help.
    I can tell you personally it's the best thing I've ever done whether I made the panel or not I was glad I done it.

I know two firefighter who are colour blind.

Would they be nearer retirement age and possibly didn't have the same scrutiny over medicals compared to modern era?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

Didn't get it, not going to make a song and dance out of it but as I just left school and I'm still very young it must have went against me. Time to get better educated and go at it again but seriously well done to who got it! You have proven that you don't need to be a world class London firefighter to get it and that gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Could anybody remind me of the e-mail address you use to request feedback as I have sadly misplaced the letter?

KiloDelta wrote: »
    Would they be nearer retirement age and possibly didn't have the same scrutiny over medicals compared to modern era?

One got in in 1993. At 24 he is 47 now. The other I believe got in back in early 2000's. It may be stricter now. I'm not sure how they got past it. I'm meeting one of them tonight so I'll ask him.

Didn't get it, not going to make a song and dance out of it but as I just left school and I'm still very young it must have went against me. Time to get better educated and go at it again but seriously well done to who got it! You have proven that you don't need to be a world class London firefighter to get it and that gives me a lot of hope for the future.

Could anybody remind me of the e-mail address you use to request feedback as I have sadly misplaced the letter?

Firefighter@dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

Absolutely delighted the letter came this morning and I placed between 50 - 70 on the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Optromter test. 6/7.5 good eye 6/12 bad eye. No colour blindness

Is this accurate information?? The reason I ask is in the firefighter information booklet it states vision as 6/6 unaided and not what you describe above.

honreal wrote: »
    Is this accurate information?? The reason I ask is in the firefighter information booklet it states vision as 6/6 unaided and not what you describe above.

Yes ring them.

• Advertisement

It has been revised since booklet printed. Corporate health IFSC conducting medical

It has been revised since booklet printed. Corporate health IFSC conducting medical
    Have you previous experience with this crowd graham?

For the sake of €30/40 guys, go to your local optician and get a basic eye test. Remember 6/6 is the same as 20/20, one is measured in metres(the 6/6) and the other in feet (the 20/20) so don't get caught up in the terminology or wording of the whole thing. At least then when you do get the 'official' requirements from DCC or DFB, you know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

What else does the medical look for other than eye test .

thesamster wrote: »
    What else does the medical look for other than eye test .

Other than the basics like bloods, blood pressure, ecg, bmi etc, it's going to be hard to say exactly what they'll be looking for until we're told.

Have you previous experience with this crowd graham?

No personal experience no but I was very worried that's why I contacted them. I done my eye test at the very start of the competition and I don't meet 6:6 so taught it was all over for me until I called them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Cheers for the info guys, I wasn't questioning the info just wanted to clarify! It's funny how much you question yourself at every stage even tho I know I have nothing to fear in the medical or fitness but your mind will always find something to worry about

Cheers for the info guys, I wasn't questioning the info just wanted to clarify! It's funny how much you question yourself at every stage even tho I know I have nothing to fear in the medical or fitness but your mind will always find something to worry about

Exact same however only people who are really unfit and have medical problems will fail !

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

Has anyone who was successful at interview applied for their feedback or can they??

• Advertisement

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Has anyone who was successful at interview applied for their feedback or can they??

You not think it would be a bit cheeky? Being successful should be enough feedback for you

Advertisement