Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

Hey lads, I should be in the second class (placed 60-70) would you mind keeping us updates so we know what to expect? I think its fair to say we can take off the "competition" hats and start working as a team of trainee firefighters. Pooling info would be great for all candidates. I dont see a downside. Nobody is going to benifit to somones disadvantage asfar as i can see

I agree. The competition side of things is over now. If someone loses their panel spot now then it won't be down to anyone else having an upper hand due to some secret info. We could all be working together some day so let's start showing that teamwork that the interview panel seen in us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Anyone received the letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Guys bit off topic here but I didn't get in this time and want to maximise my chances for next recruitment. Any idea when this will be and what can I start doing now or what resources can I start looking at?

Mods if you want to delete this I can open a new thread.

Congratulations to everyone who got through.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Guys bit off topic here but I didn't get in this time and want to maximise my chances for next recruitment. Any idea when this will be and what can I start doing now or what resources can I start looking at?

It's way too early to know how long before the next recruitment and the panel states it is active until 2019 so unless the panel gets used up before this date you could be waiting 3 years.

I could say do a first aid course, join a vol org, get your car and truck licence, do the ITLS course, do the SRT course etc but if you had an interest in these areas you would have had them going into the interview. This is the standard your up against

These courses are not cheap and at the same time people have got the job with none of the above! Who you are is just as important as the certificated you have at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillybally

honreal wrote: »
    Anyone received the letter?

Yes letter arrived this morning. Start date 27th June :)

• Advertisement

Gillybally wrote: »
    Yes letter arrived this morning. Start date 27th June :)

Excellent! Is there much in the form of a provisional contract to read or is it the basic info? I am back at the house at 12 so I can get it then i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillybally

Excellent! Is there much in the form of a provisional contract to read or is it the basic info? I am back at the house at 12 so I can get it then i guess

There's just an acceptance/refusal form. Then there is checklist for different bits they need such as birth cert/qualifications (if not all ready sent) then there is another form to fill out with references details. It's also has dates for the medical and fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Is it 3 panels of 50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Lads....awful rumor going round today that ambulance is gone officially so there won't be a need for new recruits! Well not in the near future anyway

Chungwun wrote: »
    Lads....awful rumor going round today that ambulance is gone officially so there won't be a need for new recruits! Well not in the near future anyway

Have you checked your calender today?

• Advertisement

derra_121 wrote: »
    Is it 3 panels of 50?

nobody knows this answer. You also need to factor in that some of the control room who will be training as FF/Paramedic will be absorbing places in the recruit class

Get your coat!!!

nobody knows this answer. You also need to factor in that some of the control room who will be training as FF/Paramedic will be absorbing places in the recruit class

Does anyone know If you made the panel are you guaranteed to get an employment offer between now and 2019?

Does anyone know If you made the panel are you guaranteed to get an employment offer between now and 2019?

Making the panel is certainly no guarantee of a job. Never happened before that a panel wasn't used until the last panel which was scrapped without all getting called for training.

Saying that it was a very different time 2008/2009 so I'd like to think it wouldn't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

It's way too early to know how long before the next recruitment and the panel states it is active until 2019 so unless the panel gets used up before this date you could be waiting 3 years.

I could say do a first aid course, join a vol org, get your car and truck licence, do the ITLS course, do the SRT course etc but if you had an interest in these areas you would have had them going into the interview. This is the standard your up against

These courses are not cheap and at the same time people have got the job with none of the above! Who you are is just as important as the certificated you have at home.

Being honest this isn't the standard your up against totally. Iv been working in a grocery shop 9 years didn't even get a decent leaving cert and also my friend got in that currently isn't employed. Allthough we both have vol experience. Iv always wanted it knew I was capable of the aptitudes and felt like I smashed interview bar one small area. If you want it enough at interview they will see it however obviously all these things should stand to you !

Making the panel is certainly no guarantee of a job. Never happened before that a panel wasn't used until the last panel which was scrapped without all getting called for training.

Saying that it was a very different time 2008/2009 so I'd like to think it wouldn't happen again.

Yeah just wait and see, I made the latter half of the panel so I am thinking it could be a while before I get called, which suits me :-)

Have you checked your calender today?

**** myself there

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Gillybally wrote: »
    There's just an acceptance/refusal form.

Imagine refusing at this stage!! Does that actually happen?

thatboy1 wrote: »

You would be surprised the people that at the start were willing to take paycuts and when it comes to signing on the dotted line will back out

Yeah just wait and see, I made the latter half of the panel so I am thinking it could be a while before I get called, which suits me :-)

There's a lot of variables to take into account. So no point in tryin to work it out. The current class are not doing paramedic training until after the first external class have finished training. Then you don't know if that class are gonna do their paramedic training until after the next of do it with them. Awful lot can happen.

I can't see the 2nd external class starting this year so your probably talking January next year. If your in line for the 3rd class you could be looking around the middle to late of next year at the earliest I'd guess.

• Advertisement

thatboy1 wrote: »

People have started training and packed it in after a few weeks cause they feel it's not for them or it wasn't what they expected

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Being honest this isn't the standard your up against totally. Iv been working in a grocery shop 9 years didn't even get a decent leaving cert and also my friend got in that currently isn't employed. Allthough we both have vol experience. Iv always wanted it knew I was capable of the aptitudes and felt like I smashed interview bar one small area. If you want it enough at interview they will see it however obviously all these things should stand to you !

It absolutely is the standard you are up against and more as this is some of the backgrounds people brought with them into interview I was told along with the likes of Paramedic and EMT etc but I did also state that there are people on the flip side that get in with none of the above

"These courses are not cheap and at the same time people have got the job with none of the above! Who you are is just as important as the certificated you have at home."

My point was that it's not always the courses you have that get you the job but they do no harm and show you have had an interest leading upto interview.

When are people thinking of handing in their notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Blacktie. wrote: »

Remember that the compatencies are the main scoring points on the interview. Having a career that will give you good real life examples to talk about in the Interview is essential.
    Working under pressure and in difficult situations, dealing with people, taking instructions, working as a team, learning and flexibility.
    Im not sure of your age but if time is on your side, the Defense Forces are recruiting at the moment.
    I would say the Defence Forces tick a lot of the boxes for DFB.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

JDigweed wrote: »
    Remember that the compatencies are the main scoring points on the interview. Having a career that will give you good real life examples to talk about in the Interview is essential.
    Working under pressure and in difficult situations, dealing with people, taking instructions, working as a team, learning and flexibility.
    Im not sure of your age but if time is on your side, the Defense Forces are recruiting at the moment.
    I would say the Defence Forces tick a lot of the boxes for DFB.

I'm currently in the defence forces and finished between 50 and 70 on the panel. I found the competencies all directly applied to the defence forces so I had lots to talk about in the interview.

I would definitely recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭speedbird777

cathalmonk wrote: »
    I'm currently in the defence forces and finished between 50 and 70 on the panel. I found the competencies all directly applied to the defence forces so I had lots to talk about in the interview.

I would definitely recommend it

Same as that. I'm in the defence forces and found the interview to be straight forward. Finished in the top 100. I know of 4 others who are also in the top 100. Both organisations share the same skills and competencies it seems. Great place to learn and boost your cv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Got an eye sight test done today to be safe. Have 6/5 vision so im delighted. Delighted guys are getting offers so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

Got an eye sight test done today to be safe. Have 6/5 vision so im delighted. Delighted guys are getting offers so soon.

What are the eye sight requirements?

cathalmonk wrote: »
    What are the eye sight requirements?

It's all on the information booklet we got sent before the interview

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything yet about what the pay is during training? And to quickly shoot down the trolls that were previously popped up their heads when this question was asked, no I didn't just apply for the job for the money! Family, bills, mortgage etc to plan around so any info would be appreciated. I'd even welcome a decent rumour at this stage :D

Advertisement