Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Lezdid

Pay during training is €429 per week (gross). This is level 1 on the pay scale. No allowances paid during training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

Lezdid wrote: »
    Pay during training is €429 per week (gross). This is level 1 on the pay scale. No allowances paid during training.

Cheers Lezdid, appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    It's all on the information booklet we got sent before the interview

Actually the bookelt is out of date according to the information above. I believe (according to somebody above who rang the medical company doing the medicals) the requirment has been revised to 6/9 in the dominnt eye and 6/12 in the other eye.

I looked up the garda requirement there and it's 6/18 which is not a great standard at all!

honreal wrote: »
    Actually the bookelt is out of date according to the information above. I believe (according to somebody above who rang the medical company doing the medicals) the requirment has been revised to 6/9 in the dominnt eye and 6/12 in the other eye.

I looked up the garda requirement there and it's 6/18 which is not a great standard at all!

That's incredibly low, 1/3 of an average persons eye sight :O! If you don't wear jam jar glasses or constantly walk into stuff I think we'll be grand :)

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    That's incredibly low, 1/3 of an average persons eye sight :O! If you don't wear jam jar glasses or constantly walk into stuff I think we'll be grand :)

Ye I guess the general standard of eyesight is decreasing as the years go on. 6/18 is quite poor for the guards. 6/6 in both eyes would knock a lot of people down. It states unaided Vision too so one of the laser types won't be accepted either. Not sure which one falls into the detectable category

• Advertisement

Ye I guess the general standard of eyesight is decreasing as the years go on. 6/18 is quite poor for the guards. 6/6 in both eyes would knock a lot of people down. It states unaided Vision too so one of the laser types won't be accepted either. Not sure which one falls into the detectable category

It's gonna be one of things that until we're actually at the medical, we won't know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Guys I contacted them as I was worried about my eyesight wasn't quite cutting 6/6. The actual Nurse/Doc that completes the DFB Medicals rang me back with exact details. She confirmed 6/7.5 good eye and 6/12 bad eye. Super helpful and said were not here to kick people so relax and it will be fine.

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Guys I contacted them as I was worried about my eyesight wasn't quite cutting 6/6. The actual Nurse/Doc that completes the DFB Medicals rang me back with exact details. She confirmed 6/7.5 good eye and 6/12 bad eye. Super helpful and said were not here to kick people so relax and it will be fine.

Cheers Grahamfire ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

Not an overly important question but does anybody know what time of the morning recruits report to the OBI at?

I ask because of traffic cross city with there being a huge difference between 8am and 9am. Technically 60 minutes difference, I know :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

KiloDelta wrote: »
    Not an overly important question but does anybody know what time of the morning recruits report to the OBI at?

I ask because of traffic cross city with there being a huge difference between 8am and 9am. Technically 60 minutes difference, I know :P

On parade at 9am.

You'll be there much, much earlier than that:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

If your coming cross city the earlier ya leave the better. You'll find plenty to do when you get over there in the morning anyways. Ironing uniform, bulling shoes, neck shaves, drill studies! Etc....oh and ya might get a few minutes to grab some breakfast ;-)

Also are the first week, people will probably work out they are coming from the same direction and end up sharing lifts.

:D this gave me a laugh.. You will be in the OBI before the rest of the family even brush their teeth! Get ready for it! Long days ahead for the best part of 7 months if they run the Paramedic and Fire back to back!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

:D this gave me a laugh.. You will be in the OBI before the rest of the family even brush their teeth! Get ready for it! Long days ahead for the best part of 7 months if they run the Paramedic and Fire back to back!

With 6am starts for the last 7 years I'm well used to it! I asked because the closer to starting at 9am the more time sat in a car so I'm all for the earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Does anyone know what the policy is on laser eye surgery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

JDigweed wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the policy is on laser eye surgery?
    From talking to staff in there as long as you can complete the eye test you are good to go.

They really need to update their documentation as obv the eyesight requirement has changed and also it states you do the hand grip, leg pull and back strength tests but I believe his wasn't done for the last class

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Arruabarrena

The information for the booklets are provided by Dublin Fire Brigade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

folks not that this really matters but does anybody know what allowances we will be due when training commences. And then when we go operational ?

E.g weekend rates etc

folks not that this really matters but does anybody know what allowances we will be due when training commences. And then when we go operational ?

E.g weekend rates etc

There are no allowances paid during training, just the basic wage from level 1 on the pay scale.

As for the allowances when training is finished and operational I have no idea. I would also be interested in finding this out.

E.g weekend rates etc

Paid fortnightly so in one slip you will get your week night (mon-sat) in another you will get Sunday night and weekend days. All depending on what watch you are on it can vary.

Also you'll get othere allowances like basic shift allowance, bank holiday pay etc

• Advertisement

Chungwun wrote: »
    Paid fortnightly so in one slip you will get your week night (mon-sat) in another you will get Sunday night and weekend days. All depending on what watch you are on it can vary.

Also you'll get othere allowances like basic shift allowance, bank holiday pay etc

Cheers for that. Have you any idea what kind of money they are even ballpark.

Would a Sunday be an extra 70 or 100 I haven't a breeze what ballpark they are even. I have searched online but can't find anything.

Cheers for that. Have you any idea what kind of money they are even ballpark.

Would a Sunday be an extra 70 or 100 I haven't a breeze what ballpark they are even. I have searched online but can't find anything.

See its all changed for the last few classes but if I was to pull a figure out of the air I'd say in around €900 on average fortnightly. But that's a educated guess.

Cheers Chungwun
    At least I have a rough ballpark that makes the salary ok really. As I said not that it matters we would all most likely do it for almost FOC !
    See its all changed for the last few classes but if I was to pull a figure out of the air I'd say in around €900 on average fortnightly. But that's a educated guess.

I heard this aswell.
    What can be expected in training?? 300 net per week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

bono_v wrote: »
    I heard this aswell.
    What can be expected in training?? 300 net per week??
    Around €350 into hand

If you have a trade that can be helpful for when you go operational if needs must.

There are always a few options to boosthe your wage packet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Choco2607

bono_v wrote: »
    From talking to staff in there as long as you can complete the eye test you are good to go.

Any more info on what the standards are? There's a difference between completing it and passing it, and completing it an failing it!

Choco2607 wrote: »
    Any more info on what the standards are? There's a difference between completing it and passing it, and completing it an failing it!
    6/12 bad eye and 6/7.5 in good eye I believe.

Choco2607 wrote: »

Lads will ya all relax a bit in regards the eye test.

Pardon the pun but it's blind panic.

The people doing the tests are there to help you thru and not eliminate people. Put it this way, personally I've never heard of anybody fail the medical due to an eye test!

If there are issues the first time round there is usually another chance down the line!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Choco2607

Lads will ya all relax a bit in regards the eye test.

Pardon the pun but it's blind panic.

The people doing the tests are there to help you thru and not eliminate people. Put it this way, personally I've never heard of anybody fail the medical due to an eye test!

If there are issues the first time round there is usually another chance down the line!!!

Bloke in Kildare fire service got number 1 on the panel, went for medical, failed the eye test there an then,and was told that was it. Got laser eye surgery done and came back. Was too late. Apply again next time he was told. One shot is all he got. Reason I know this, he was my mate. It happens. To get this far an go out on your eyes not being the May west, you'd be gutted for years!

Advertisement