Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Choco2607 wrote: »
    Bloke in Kildare fire service got number 1 on the panel, went for medical, failed the eye test there an then,and was told that was it. Got laser eye surgery done and came back. Was too late. Apply again next time he was told. One shot is all he got. Reason I know this, he was my mate. It happens. To get this far an go out on your eyes not being the May west, you'd be gutted for years!

And telling people this story isn't going to be helpful for those nervous about it!

That's Kildare fire service and I can only presume they don't use the same medical practice as DFB. I'm going on previous experience with the DFB and what has happened in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Choco2607

Chungwun wrote: »
    And telling people this story isn't going to be helpful for those nervous about it!

That's Kildare fire service and I can only presume they don't use the same medical practice as DFB. I'm going on previous experience with the DFB and what has happened in the past.

I fall into that category of nervous people! And they use the very same eye test, keystone. it's a thread to gather information. Yes I agree it may not want to be what people want to read, but don't be expecting to fly through the eye test if you wear glasses or contact lenses. I know it was outlined at the very start 6/6. But back then, that was the least of people's worries, now for me, it's all I'm worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

I fall into that category of nervous people! And they use the very same eye test, keystone. it's a thread to gather information. Yes I agree it may not want to be what people want to read, but don't be expecting to fly through the eye test if you wear glasses or contact lenses. I know it was outlined at the very start 6/6. But back then, that was the least of people's worries, now for me, it's all I'm worried about.

I understand your concern as I have had bouts of panic myself even tho I have 6/6 in both eyes it's my mind playing havoc at the thought of one slip and your gone but what difference does worrying about it now do for you other than wreck your own head?? It's too late for laser eye surgery if your in the first class so you will either pass it or fail it at this stage. If you have dickie eyesight then that's how it goes. You would have had the same dickie eyesight when signing up back in Nov.

Bloke in Kildare fire service got number 1 on the panel, went for medical, failed the eye test there an then,and was told that was it. Got laser eye surgery done and came back. Was too late. Apply again next time he was told. One shot is all he got. Reason I know this, he was my mate. It happens. To get this far an go out on your eyes not being the May west, you'd be gutted for years!

When you say he went off and came back with laser eye surgery done but he was told too late... what exactly are you saying?? He failed, went off and got eye surgery and went back in on a whim or was he invited back but was told too late? I don't understand the explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

For those worrying also about the pay during recruit training and mentioning 7 months of it. If trend follows like the last few classes you will be doing your firefighting training then brought back at a later date to do your ems training. Which would mean your on the lower wage for only about 14 to 16 weeks then you go operational and your shift pay kicks in. So when you go back to do your ems at a later time you keep your operational pay while out there doing it. But the could run it all together this time on the other hand which your looking at 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭david-d

Hi guys, i haven't been on for a couple of weeks so forgive me if this info has already been posted, last time i seen some questions regarding feedback for successful applicants.

I got my (unsuccessful) feedback today and I can tell you it states "the average mark for the successful candidate was 720" thats some serious scoring out of 800 available, 90% if my maths are correct.... a big well done again to everyone that got it

I'm still a bit confused as to how i feel about my score I achieved 681/800 which is approx 85% if someone had offered my 85% before the interview I'd have took there hand off.... but still not enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

david-d wrote: »
    Hi guys, i haven't been on for a couple of weeks so forgive me if this info has already been posted, last time i seen some questions regarding feedback for successful applicants.

I got my (unsuccessful) feedback today and I can tell you it states "the average mark for the successful candidate was 720" thats some serious scoring out of 800 available, 90% if my maths are correct.... a big well done again to everyone that got it

I'm still a bit confused as to how i feel about my score I achieved 681/800 which is approx 85% if someone had offered my 85% before the interview I'd have took there hand off.... but still not enough

The standard this year seemed very very high. A lot of very educated people were in for it and more importantly, a lot of people with A HUGE amount of relevant job/life experience.

You should feel very happy that you got such a high % in your interview. A lot of people didn't even get that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I know I said I wouldn't post again, but I got my feedback and I must have been knocking on the door. Only nobody was answering. I came in at 615/800, must have been it was very very close. My quick maths puts me in and around the 80% mark.

I'm not terribly disappointed by the results, I will build on it and apply again when it comes around, hopefully not another 10 years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Was feedback via email or post? I haven't received anything.

Have my medical in 2 weeks ☺️ just got the date via email. Anyone else get theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Just got my feedback I got 640 so that's ok at least I didn't make a total mess of it. I'll try to use the interview experience for the ESC competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

How do you apply for feedback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

david-d wrote: »

that is insane! i knew the standards were going to be high but that is seriously high. @David-D i would take a lot from your result. you were not successful this time but you have shown the ability to compete at this standard. I would say with a little polishing you would be in the top percentile on the next recruitment.

Did any successful candidates ask for the results of their interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

Did any successful candidates ask for the results of their interview?

I was successful and I applied for my feedback last week. I asked for advice whether I should or not and a certain person who I now see is looking how to apply for their feedback told me that it would be "cheeky" to ask for it.

How are people feeling about having to run in full turnout gear for the physical assessments, including helmet? This will be quite different than shorts and comfortable runners :D

Just got feedback just over 700

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Just got feedback just over 700

Did you place at the end of the panel?

I was successful and I applied for my feedback last week. I asked for advice whether I should or not and a certain person who I now see is looking how to apply for their feedback told me that it would be "cheeky" to ask for it.

It's not for me ! My mate didn't get threw and wants results. Jumping gun.....

honreal wrote: »
    How are people feeling about having to run in full turnout gear for the physical assessments, including helmet? This will be quite different than shorts and comfortable runners :D

Some people will be used to this and some people will get the shock of their lives 😂😂😂

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    Some people will be used to this and some people will get the shock of their lives 😂😂😂

That gear is not the lightest, mix that with wellies and a helmet I can only imagine the shock on some peoples faces :D I personally cannot wait for it and I think it will be very enjoyable!

When are uniform fittings done? Presumably before the first day?

• Advertisement

That gear is not the lightest, mix that with wellies and a helmet I can only imagine the shock on some peoples faces :D I personally cannot wait for it and I think it will be very enjoyable!

When are uniform fittings done? Presumably before the first day?

There might be an induction day/days before the official start date to sort out that kinda stuff. Might not be though, could be all boxed off on the first day.

honreal wrote:
    Did you place at the end of the panel?

Yeh between 150 and 160

Grahamfire wrote:
    It's not for me ! My mate didn't get threw and wants results. Jumping gun.....

"It's for my mate" course it is.. ..

"It's for my mate" course it is.. ..

Yes it is. Your going to be great fun to work with bud

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cathalmonk

Has anyone heard any possible dates for the second class?

cathalmonk wrote: »

Very early to tell. Rumor of Jan at the min but there may very well be other rumors but I would imagine DFB take it one step at a time. they have a class in their now finishing in 3 weeks and then a class starting June 27th.

cathalmonk wrote: »

Before every new class is established, the DCC & DFB will sit down and weigh up budget, shortages, vacancies etc. Until the logistics for the 1st class are sorted, I'd say the 2nd class is at the bottom of their list. Going by the shortages within DFB at the minute, I'd be inclined to agree with previous posts and say that very early next year is a good bet.

Did anyone receive the medical letter today? I thought I would have got mine yesterday from reading the email I got.

Did anyone receive the medical letter today? I thought I would have got mine yesterday from reading the email I got.

Yeah got it this morning. I'm sure it's enroute. If you don't get it by tomorrow though maybe give them a call.

• Advertisement

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    Yeah got it this morning. I'm sure it's enroute. If you don't get it by tomorrow though maybe give them a call.

Great cheers! is the medical questionnaire straight forward or extensive?

Advertisement