Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

honreal wrote: »
    Has anyone ever not had it at the start? I find it hard to see how they would tell somebody to go home during week 1 if they didn't have it.... I have all licenses bar bike so im sure there will be at least 1 person who wont have it.

Yeah there is people who start training that don't have it but would have evidence of that they would be sitting their test before the end of recruit training

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jim bo c

Thanks ,,, just wondering bout eye test like lots people think my mind is playing tricks on me so goin to do eye test dis weekend since I'm second class I would have plenty of time to get laser dnt think I need it but wondering does any one no anything bout it I had my eyes test for colour and vision few years ago and was grand but just worrying bout anything now ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

jim bo c wrote: »
    Thanks ,,, just wondering bout eye test like lots people think my mind is playing tricks on me so goin to do eye test dis weekend since I'm second class I would have plenty of time to get laser dnt think I need it but wondering does any one no anything bout it I had my eyes test for colour and vision few years ago and was grand but just worrying bout anything now ha

Read back over the thread. You appeared late to this thread and all these questions are answered in the recent previous pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Just a heads up, HR have said the vetting forms are away 2 weeks. due back in 4 more weeks. If something comes up senior management in DCC will make a decision WITHOUT consulting with the candidate whichs is a little scary. I spoke with the vetting office and they said that they only disclose convictions in the last 7 years and any pending court dates. suppose anyone with a speeding fine (which is a conviction) or anything like that prior to 2008 wont come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭IT_wannabe

Just a heads up, HR have said the vetting forms are away 2 weeks. due back in 4 more weeks. If something comes up senior management in DCC will make a decision WITHOUT consulting with the candidate whichs is a little scary. I spoke with the vetting office and they said that they only disclose convictions in the last 7 years and any pending court dates. suppose anyone with a speeding fine (which is a conviction) or anything like that prior to 2008 wont come up

A speeding fine is only a conviction if it required an appearance in court (dangerous driving etc). Convictions with reference to vetting are those which are handed down by a judge during court proceedings. A standard speeding fine is not classed as a conviction if associated fines are paid on time and no court appearance is required.

• Advertisement

You have something to hide? hence taking time to contact hr about it :P

You have something to hide? hence taking time to contact hr about it :P

As was said a conviction is something that happens in court. Nothing to hide but i was prosicuted in my absence in the past which was not my fault. About 12 years ago i was stopped at a checkpoint and did not have my licence or my cert with me. I was asked to produce (which i did) the garda never checked if i produced and issued 4 summons to an address i had moved from so did not get notification.

1) no insurance,
    2) failure to produce insurance
    3) no driving licence
    4) failure to produce licence

About 4 years ago i was getting a licence renewed on a firearm and the sargent told me i had previous convictions. I had to get a FOI request to get the info and go back to court and have the matter set aside as i had insurance and a licence. After it was all done i did another request and found they made an error and didnt remove it from the system. Its being looked in to now but i have a copy of the judjement setting aside the cases as i was innocent. Its simply a clerical error that needs to be resolved but wouldnt it be terrible to lose out on a clerical error?

At it was 12 years ago it would seem it does not matter according to the vetting unit and i have the judgement im my possession but wouldnt it be shocking if i wasent able to point it out? Luckily i did write it down on the application and issue a copy of the judgement but bette to be safe than sorry.

As was said a conviction is something that happens in court. Nothing to hide but i was prosicuted in my absence in the past which was not my fault. About 12 years ago i was stopped at a checkpoint and did not have my licence or my cert with me. I was asked to produce (which i did) the garda never checked if i produced and issued 4 summons to an address i had moved from so did not get notification.

1) no insurance,
    2) failure to produce insurance
    3) no driving licence
    4) failure to produce licence

About 4 years ago i was getting a licence renewed on a firearm and the sargent told me i had previous convictions. I had to get a FOI request to get the info and go back to court and have the matter set aside as i had insurance and a licence. After it was all done i did another request and found they made an error and didnt remove it from the system. Its being looked in to now but i have a copy of the judjement setting aside the cases as i was innocent. Its simply a clerical error that needs to be resolved but wouldnt it be terrible to lose out on a clerical error?

At it was 12 years ago it would seem it does not matter according to the vetting unit and i have the judgement im my possession but wouldnt it be shocking if i wasent able to point it out? Luckily i did write it down on the application and issue a copy of the judgement but bette to be safe than sorry.

What could go against you is that 'technically' the judgement was served and you 'technically' have a conviction. Until you actually have something from the courts to say that you're innocent it's just your word against the justice system and unfortunately you know where DFB will lie on that decision.

Also, did we not sign something to state that we didn't have any convictions?

IT_wannabe wrote: »
    What could go against you is that 'technically' the judgement was served and you 'technically' have a conviction. Until you actually have something from the courts to say that you're innocent it's just your word against the justice system and unfortunately you know where DFB will lie on that decision.

Also, did we not sign something to state that we didn't have any convictions?

if you read back at what i wrote i stated that i have a copy of a court order perfected by the judge (signed) stating that the cases were set aside and stuck out. "Technically" as you put it i dont have any conviction. The Gardai's system is incorrect and i have the evidence to support this. But as i said it was more than 7 years ago so i am not overly concerned.

We signed a form asking us if we had any conviction and if so what were they. I would imagine most people have convictions for minor things without realizing they are a conviction. essentially if you have ever been to court for anything from littering, seat belt, speeding, tv licence, dog licence and ended with you giving a few bob to the state you have a conviction. the question is where do they draw the line? common sense would suggest it would be something like minor offences wouldnt matter but anything that involved injuring someone or something that resulted in time served. If they drew the line at any conviction anyone with as much as a parking fine would not be eligible

if you read back at what i wrote i stated that i have a copy of a court order perfected by the judge (signed) stating that the cases were set aside and stuck out. "Technically" as you put it i dont have any conviction. The Gardai's system is incorrect and i have the evidence to support this. But as i said it was more than 7 years ago so i am not overly concerned.

We signed a form asking us if we had any conviction and if so what were they. I would imagine most people have convictions for minor things without realizing they are a conviction. essentially if you have ever been to court for anything from littering, seat belt, speeding, tv licence, dog licence and ended with you giving a few bob to the state you have a conviction. the question is where do they draw the line? common sense would suggest it would be something like minor offences wouldnt matter but anything that involved injuring someone or something that resulted in time served. If they drew the line at any conviction anyone with as much as a parking fine would not be eligible

Maybe that's the way they want it, no convictions full stop. Like you said, they don't have to consult with the candidate either. From what I know of garda vetting processes, it's at the discretion of the company requesting the info how far back they want to go with people, hence on a vetting form you have to provide all previous addresses, not just for a certain period in your life. Someone could have had a serious conviction 7 years and a month ago, does that mean that they are now seen as being clean as a whistle in a companies eyes who requested a vetting of them?

DCC and DFB strike me as companies who will not want anyone in their organisation that might bring disrepute towards them, regardless of how long ago their conviction was. Better safe than sorry and all that. I'm pretty sure they'd easily be able to fill a panel with 150 conviction free people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Maybe that's the way they want it, no convictions full stop. Like you said, they don't have to consult with the candidate either. From what I know of garda vetting processes, it's at the discretion of the company requesting the info how far back they want to go with people, hence on a vetting form you have to provide all previous addresses, not just for a certain period in your life. Someone could have had a serious conviction 7 years and a month ago, does that mean that they are now seen as being clean as a whistle in a companies eyes who requested a vetting of them?

DCC and DFB strike me as companies who will not want anyone in their organisation that might bring disrepute towards them, regardless of how long ago their conviction was. Better safe than sorry and all that. I'm pretty sure they'd easily be able to fill a panel with 150 conviction free people

That's cold blooded.

stringbox wrote: »
    That's cold blooded.

Unfortunately that's life. These competitions are dog eat dog and the companies know that they don't have to settle for second best on any of the requirements.

I'm not saying I agree with their actions but that is how it happens. I had the experience of recruitment competition with my current job and it was 10 times worse than any process we're going through with DCC. There was loopholes at every step to suit the organisation at any time if they wanted to drop you for some reason and they did it without thought.

I reiterate, I'm not saying I agree with them but unfortunately it's how it's done sometimes.........if not most of the time.

And just to be clear, TJHooker2016 I hope they do consult you if they have any queries because it does sound like you were done wrong and it would be a disgrace if they dropped you.

I was just making the point that big organisations like that are ruthless, I know, I've worked in a lot bigger one than DCC for over 10yrs now and have experienced it first hand.

If I remember correctly you're scheduled for the 2nd class so you have loads of time to get it sorted and I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Did people only get paperwork and vetting forms who are going for the first class. Im in the 50-100 bracket and have not recieved anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

A speeding fine is only a conviction if it required an appearance in court (dangerous driving etc). Convictions with reference to vetting are those which are handed down by a judge during court proceedings. A standard speeding fine is not classed as a conviction if associated fines are paid on time and no court appearance is required.

I was convicted in court of speeding. €70 fine surely that wouldn't kick me out. It's road traffic not criminal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Did people only get paperwork and vetting forms who are going for the first class. Im in the 50-100 bracket and have not recieved anything.

The vetting form was part of the application pack filled out before the interview.
    I'm also in the 50-100 group and filled one out.
    I've filled in a good few down the years and they are fairly straight forward.....Looking for a complete list of addresses from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

Grahamfire wrote: »
    I was convicted in court of speeding. €70 fine surely that wouldn't kick me out. It's road traffic not criminal ?

Did you declare this in the form?

Jaysus I didn't expect all this. Hard to know how it will work out. Probably won't be an issue but at the end of the day I would imagine DCC are not in the game of negotiating details of convictions and rather just strike a name from the list. If in doubt then give HR a shout.

KiloDelta wrote: »
    Did you declare this in the form?

Yes and I also called them to confirm that it's road traffic will I still put it down. HR said shouldn't be a problem

Yes and I also called them to confirm that it's road traffic will I still put it down. HR said shouldn't be a problem

Does a road traffic conviction count as an endorsement on a license?

• Advertisement

Does a road traffic conviction count as an endorsement on a license?

Oh god no.

Oh god no.

It may do if it involves penalty points.

It may do if it involves penalty points.

In that case anyone with penalty points is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

In that case anyone with penalty points is out

You can have a few penalty points without getting a license endorsement, for example
    a fine in the post from a speed van that doesnt involve a court appearance but puts 3 points on the license.
    Endorsements are court appointed.
    We should be all driving like Miss Daisy from now on, too much at stake.

JDigweed wrote: »
    You can have a few penalty points without getting a license endorsement, for example
    a fine in the post from a speed van that doesnt involve a court appearance but puts 3 points on the license.
    Endorsements are court appointed.
    We should be all driving like Miss Daisy from now on, too much at stake.
    Endorsements are bans etc ? My points are gone anyway just was convicted in court as forgot to pay fixed penalty

Endorsements are bans etc ? My points are gone anyway just was convicted in court as forgot to pay fixed penalty

I think an endorsement can be points (from the courts). you don't have any anymore so nothing to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads I have gone through the vetting procedure about 4/5 times since the 90s due to the work I was involved with, The last time was about 4/5 year ago while training as an EMT.
    The checks carried out by the vetting unit are more so to do with a person with criminal convictions/violence etc , After all as members of any emergency services you will be dealing with vulnerable patients etc and any orq be it full time or voluntary cannot take risks .
    Penalty points is totally different to an endorsement on the driving licence which requires a court appearance before a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

There seems to be a lot of serious criminals on this thread

Its funny to see the usual people fanning the flames and making statements of fact based on their assumptions.

Tone it down a bit lads. Your waiting to become firefighters not solicitors.

• Advertisement

People putting the **** up everyone first for eyes. Now the Garda vetting. I rang them there few penalty points and that stuff no prob. It's criminal convictions that will be the prob that's all.

End of day we are all human beings that have made mistake big or small
    To conclude it all in medical there not looking for an athlete nor the physical. They want normal healthy people with reasonable fitness. Vetting wise they don't want an armed robber etc
    Everyone chill now and enjoy the process we done the graft

Advertisement